Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Championship 2023

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I see nothing there about the actual incident but a lot of academic work, most of which is covered in the laws anyway.

The comment about a drop in height was to highlight how bad the incident was, not to provide an example of something 'unavoidable.' So you've went on a a tangent there and had fun with it, but I apologise if I wasn't clear. The situations you've highlighted aren't 'slightly different' in any case, your blatantly ignoring the difference in the level of control the players have.

Anyway, adjust your run, adjust your jump, tie your shoe-laces instead. Let's not legalise assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

No one agrees with you that this incident came anywhere close to your hyperbole of an 'assault'. The ref, ARs, and TMO didn't see it as a penalty and the citing team said that the 'mid-range sanction would be wholly disproportionate to the player's fault and that the foul play merited a low-range entry point'.

Given that you're now claiming that wasn't an example, can you provide a few examples of rugby incidents then that align to your explanation that are 'unavoidable and out of players control'?

'Given that you're now claiming' - ugh, I retract my apologies. It was clear enough.

Didn't say the incident itself was assault, i said allowing that play to go would be equivalent to legalising ie. the open season on flyhavles stuff. Nice try though.

There was a tackle in the Leinster vs La Rochelle final that the ref allowed to play on even though their was contact with the head. Player pretty much couldn't have gone lower and the Leinster attacker, at the last moment, made an unnatural dip. I'm fine with play-on in those cases because the defender has done as much as he could reasonably have expected to do. I'm not sure what the exact laws are but I don't believe there was a citation.

As always, I'd like to take this time to encourage everyone not to knock out kickers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Low range entry point still means it should have been a red card!

You can not absolve recklessness based on the outcome of the action in the game, otherwise you'll continue to just encourage the action.

This incident is no way 'equivalent' to assault - no one from the ref, to his team, to the citing team believed it was.

I never said they didn't deem it as a red card. My point was to call out the other poster's clear hyperbole throwing around the term assault.

I'll again go back to my previous example of a player going for a high ball and catching it but his hip/torso hitting the player in the head who stayed on the ground. I've never seen a ref or citing commissioner call that against the player catching the ball, however we've all seen many times the player on the ground being sanctioned if the player in the air tips.

It clearly wasnt a straightforward case for the citing team. If WR want to make contact with the kicker illegal they can take in the rules in the NFL to protect kickers, as pulling from current vague laws regarding recklessness for me isnt the right way to go about it and the citing team seemed to agree given their statement and sanction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It clearly wasnt a straightforward case for the citing team

It wasn't straightforward in terms of the length of the sanction. It was clearly straightforward that it was foul play deserving of a red card.

Again, as you didn’t understand the first two times, I did not call the incident in question assault. Allowing the play to happen unpunished would lead to tactics implementing it. Not hyperbole.

Theres nothing vague about hitting a stationary players head with no mitigation. I’m unsure what further clarification you need there.

It wasn't straightforward when 4 officials at the time didn't see it as a red card and in addition officials came to the meeting to explain the historic officiating. If it was straightforward none of that would have happened.

The length of the sanction fudge just adds to it.

You've absolutely twisted yourself in a knot now.

It is pretty simple, if you didn't want to imply this incident was assault then there was absolutely no reason to use the term.

No point in going around in circles any further. Maybe tone down the hyperbole a bit and there wont be misunderstandings.

Is this hyperbole in the room with you right now?

You’ve had this explained to you several times now, I can’t believe you’ve just repeated yourself again after having it explained step by step why you’re wrong. Repeating yourself won’t change what’s written but I hope it brings you some personal closure.

We’re talking knot tying now? First the NFL now knot tying, whatever will you bring up next…

’it’s prettying simple..’ - but you’ve just waxed lyrical about the irrelevant and (perhaps deliberately) deflected once again. If you’re still confused, just ask questions instead of waffling and accusing me of saying things that are demonstrably false.

And in doing that, if at all possible, don’t knock a kicker out, although I suspect it might just be labelled as a ‘board incident’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

@Locke_Lamora I don't think any player goes out there with the intention of knocking an opponent out. Unless they're a psychopath or the red mist has taken over. But it is a collision sport. So knock outs will happen. The laws will try to lessen this but will never eliminate it. So saying that letting an incident go that resulted in a player being knocked out is like legalising assault, that's hyperbole.

Maybe they should just outlaw charge downs if theres no guarantee that the kicker won't be assaulted in the process. Then players can concentrate on diving at their standing leg to put them off.

Why would they outlaw chargedowns when the current laws already prevent you from making contact with the head? That's a ridiculous argument to make.

I'm not sure you understand what hyperbole means. It is incredibly simple, allowing contact to the head to go unpunished will only encourage deliberate implementation of it. Please just read it carefully before using that word again, I'm cringing at the sight of it now.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Well they don't.

Not every head contact is illegal. Head contact goes unpunished in most matches.

Mallia didn't get cited for head contact, he got cited for reckless / dangerous play.

I'm sure we could conjure up some sort of situation in which a chargedown allows contact with the head, but that seems like a lesson in pedanticism. I've already admitted in previous posts that I'm fine with contact with the head being going unpunished in certain, narrow, instances. The contact with the head in this case was clearly illegal though, it was reckless and dangerous because of the significant chance of serious injury to the head.

Do you agree that the head contact was accidental and he wasn't targeting the kicker's head?

Absolutely and I never said otherwise, but the fact that you are asking that makes me question whether you have understood what I have written. Numerous times. I almost wish you just posted redundant smileys again.

Recklessness does not require a deliberate and most red cards and bans do not stem from intentional foul play. However, once again, allowing this play to go unpunished will only encourage deliberate tactics targeting kickers. Please tell me you understand that?

Of all the hills for the ‘just a rugby incident’ clan to die on, this just isn’t it.

I thought targeting kickers was part of the game. Players want to prevent the opponent's kick or make them rush it. Right? Do you think letting this incident go would result in players targeting the kicker's head in future?

I'm not trying to die on any hill here, I'm just trying to understand your desired outcome. And it appears some other posters are as well. That makes me think the issue might be that you aren't being very clear.

My position is that it was a successful charge down and there was an accidental collision afterwards that resulted in a player being knocked out. I didn't see any reckless or dangerous play.

A player stationary player was knocked out, no mitigation could be applied and it wasn’t reckless to you? That’s where we’ll never agree because that’s an incredible statement to make. Thankfully the laws don’t agree with you.

’Some other posters’ - just one actually.

targeting a kickers head is not part of the game.

‘Do you think letting this incident go would result in players targeting the kicker's head in future?’ I knew you weren’t reading what I was writing and begged you to read carefully. In my last post I literally stated that allowing this play to go unpunished would only encourage it deliberately. I’ve stated this almost word for numerous times and you still have the empty mindedness to post almost exactly what I have written, phrased as a question, and stated that I’m being unclear. Astounding.

Thankfully the laws agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheRona

Watch the incident again. The player wasn't stationary. The kicking player moved forward a good metre in the time that the other player was in the air.

The speed he flew in was reckless, but I also feel like the SA player was completely unaware of what was going on. It's fairly common in that situation for the kicker to just fake a kick, step to avoid the player coming in, then play it into touch. The whole incident was kind of bizarre.

• Advertisement

But what had the possibility of him faking a kick got to do with being clobbered in the head? Like, I’m not sure of the relevance in determining whether or not this play was reckless. He didn’t fake a kick and he didn’t move enough to change the outcome for me.

Ok. Thanks for clarifying. I disagree. If this incident went unpunished, I don't believe that players would see that as carte blanche to knock out kickers and claim they were attempting a charge down. Because unless they were successful in the charge down, they'd get pinged. And to be successful in a charge down and twist their body in the air to deliberately knock out the kicker would take some Matrix level ability.

What is the outcome that you'd like to see? Jumping charge downs outlawed?

You say the laws don't agree with me. Ok. But in the match, the 4 international refs did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭clsmooth

And on reflection, away from the heat of the moment, it was decided that the 4 international refs got it wrong. I suspect if that incident had happened in the 50th minute, they probably would have come to a different decision.

Why did Mallia turn his body to lead with his hip? He decided to protect himself in that split second before contact and that put Williams at increased risk when he clattered into his head.

Advertisement