Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bp pulse (NI)

• 02-08-2023 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if the BP Pulse chargers in Northern Ireland will take a contactless card for payment? They seem to have an app but it's not available to download on iPhone in Ireland.

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yes but it's a 50 pound pre auth, which is more than 50 euro, so need to use Google pay/apple pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Excellent thanks! They also seem v expensive per Kwh but good to know they are available as a fallback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

would you not be getting a cheaper rate if you had a contract with someone else and get it for that rate at the BP charger.

I thought all Ev drivers had 2 dozen apps, cards and deals aready signed up for that makes driving them so cheap, convienent and pain free compared to filling a tank of petrol and paying with cash/ card in 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dsandson

Perhaps try the Elli card. BP Pulse are essentially the same as Aral Pulse, and are one of the UK 'Selected Partners', so on the Drive Highway tarriff you can get significantly lower rates. The free tarriff will be the same rates, but without the hassle of either using Apple Pay / Google Pay or using the QR code link to pay on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can pay through the website if you have trouble downloading app on ROI phone. It may be possible to set up UK profile on your app store.

Note as said most ROI cards have a 50 euro tap limit so 50 pounds is over that do won't work on most ROI credit cards touch to pay.

• Advertisement

Just to update in case anyone stumbles on the thread after a google search - the BP Pulse charger worked perfecly with my iPhone using Apple Pay and no pre-auth was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭eltoastero

I tried this, and I got charged the full price per kWh (not the "selected partner" price). I contacted BP pulse support and they told me Aral Pulse was their selected partner in Germany but BP Pulse (in the UK) was not a selected partner. On the back of that I cancelled my Elli "drive highway" membership following that.

Thanks for getting back. I could have swore I saw a list for the UK and BP Pulse was on it. Apologies for the bad advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭eltoastero

I had emailed Elli in advance and they confirmed Aural/BP Pulse as being a selected partner, but then a second chain of emails (after I'd signed up for "Drive Highway" and I still saw £0.77/kWh on BP Pulse) they confirmed that it was only Aural Pulse (Germany) that was a selected partner (IONITY is their UK partner). It's a shame, it would have been handy to have a membership giving a discount on both IONITY and BP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

So can I rock up to a pulsebp rapid charger tomorrow and pay online to use without signing up? From roi

• Advertisement

You can navigate through their site and start a charge without signing up. It's not exactly simple.

As noted not as easy as it sounds to use the website link. Best using phone (Apple / Google Pay) or a manufacturer RFID card / Elli RFID card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Thanks all, revolut on the phone worked a treat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I'm planning a trip in and around Belfast shortly. Can anyone who has used a BP Pulse charger recently confirm that contactless / google pay continues to work ok with an Irish Credit Card via contactless?

As said above an Irish credit card on its own probably won't work, Apple pay should work, unsure on Google pay. Better to set up your app store as UK before you go and download bp pulse app to be safe. Note there are now a good few non esb options around Belfast, see plugshare app for a full list. There is a non esb maxol hub in kinnegar Holywood, East of Belfast city which may be worth the trip to be sure to get a charge. In general NI is far worse than ROI so plan charging carefully.

Cheers, can't seem to get the app sorted on Android even when setting app store to UK, so I'll take BP pulse out of my plans in case Google Pay doesn't work.

There are plenty of other options as you say, but strangely, some of these seem to close after 6pm. It's not the easiest place to plan for so I'll think I'll try Kinnegar as you suggest.

I've 2 Google accounts, one set to UK and one set to IRL. Sometimes even a VPN is needed.

Google pay should work fine as it's simply a contactless payment, if it works in the shops it will work there.

NI has got a lot better. Especially east of the bann. The A1 is still lacking a lot.

There is a bp pulse in Banbridge, you could nip in there and check.

When fastned gets built at the boulevard (previously known as the outlet) would be a great stopping point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭denismc

I have used a Revolut card with the BP chargers .

I'll try a couple of options including Revolut and see how I go. At 85p/kWh I think BP is the fallback solution, but I'll see what works when I get there.

• Advertisement

BP PULSE UPDATE - we had a call with BP Pulse today on the current outage, see notes below.

o Looks like the multiple charger outage last weekend was caused by a software update on Friday. Some sites will be back up today, others have been referred to the charger manufacturer (VW) who will visit next week.

o BP Pulse chargers currently have no remote reset capability. So after an issue like this (or emergency stop button used or power cut etc), they require an engineer visit to bring back online.

o Support contract currently only covers 5 days per week (no cover at weekends). This will move to 7 day cover by end Q1 next year.

o In addition have BP Pulse been working with car manufactures to improve compatibility. New firmware is due for these units in February (maybe sooner). Will squash some bugs (could not say if this would sort the MG4 or Tesla Model S issues).

o Up until now "96% up time in NI" (compared to 97% in GB). 99% target for 2024.

Trying to use BP pulse today but it wouldn't take any of my bank cards but I was able to start the charge by going to the BP pulse website and entering a bank card there.

Might be useful if anyone gets stuck.

It takes £50 (GBP) pre auth which is above the contactless limit (€50) of Irish contactless (without pin)

Google/apple pay don't have this limit. (As you have to have a phone lock to setup)

I never thought to use my phone of course 😕

Just a quick note to confirm that Google Pay (contactless via phone) works to activate the BP Pulse chargers, with a £50 (€58.17) preauthorisation on my BOI debit card.

One small hiccup was that the bank sent me a text asking me to validate that I was trying to pay the amount on the first try, so once I confirmed that, it worked ok.

I tried via the web as well, but gave up on it after a few unsuccessful attempts.

General FYI - I used the new Maxol hub in Kinnegar yesterday also without issue using my BOI Cr Card (£100 pre authorisation though for the 200kW ultra rapid unit).

From EV association ni

Thanks to BP Pulse for our meeting earlier today. Here's a summary...

o Rossdowney site Derry/Londonderry is back up. Delay was down to waiting time on parts

o Loughview site Lurgan - replacement charger required to fix. Should be within weeks

o Still on track to move from 5-day to 7-day engineering cover in Q2 this year

o Will be holding more spares in NI from Q2 meaning faster repairs

o Additional engineer joining team

o Stressed that MG4 incompatibility issue lies firmly with MG and not BP

o Once the battery in BP chargers has depleted & starts to recharge itself, the unit shows a red light & appears as "Unavailable" the app/map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Folks, can I just double check the best way to start a BP pulse charger with a Revolut debit card

Since they require a £50 pre authorisation, tapping the card won't work, correct?

So in that case, I need to add the card to Google wallet (which I've done), open the card in wallet and tap the phone against the reader (with NFC on)

Phone should then prompt for PIN or password since it's over the tap and pay limit

Once I've put the correct PIN in, the pre authorisation should go through and charger should start

Did I miss anything?

Does it make a difference if I plug the car in first, or should I pay first?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

For tap to pay with Google pay, you always need to unlock your phone.

You don't need to select the card before hand, phone just needs to be unlocked. If you don't have Google wallet open, it will use the default card

Range on it is pretty decent too, about 3-4cm (doesn't need to touch)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Thanks, I rarely use Google pay and I always have that moment of unreasonable panic every time I need to 😅

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Charger will tell you what order to do this in, don't worry. Do you have a manufacturer charge card? That can make life easier on these chargers. Or the Elli card.

Advertisement