Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Sandwell

The Speed 3 aren't the fastest but they're the most versatile, good for anything from easy runs to racing a marathon. Much more comfortable than something like the Vaporflys which are undoubtedly faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I wore the Endorphin Speeds for my last marathon which was my 4th marathon and PB - it was the 1st iteration at the time but they have improved more since I believe. I'd be a bit wary of the likes of the Vaporfly - maybe that is just in my head but I certainly felt at that time that it was too big of a leap for me to take from my normal ploddy shoes with no plate etc. If I was doing another one now, a couple of years further on, I'd probably try either the Endorphin Pro or the New Balance Fuel Cell Elite, I'm still weary of the Vaporflies! You could try them though, maybe you'd like them. I purchased a pair of Alphaflies a year ago returned them after 1 run. For reference I'd be a similar enough runner to yourself - plod along at 10min/m a lot of the time. My last mara was 3:51 down from 4:25.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

if your looking at a light fast runner with comfortable ride, have a look at the Hoka Mach 5 only have them 2 weeks really nice and light shoe good for going fast in some good deals on

https://www.misterrunning.com/en/

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The thing with super shoes is that they are either (a) Nike, in which case they're proven faster but only when brand new, or (b) Not Nike, in which case they're not proven to be faster (than non-super shoes).

The Nike die-hards seem to use them for a few races and then rotate them into use as "super trainers", which I suppose is fine but I feel like buying them is signalling to manufacturers that creating €250 disposable-but-not-biodegradable foam shoes is OK, and whilst I'm not exactly an eco warrior, normalising this just doesn't sit right with me, so (so far) I'm choosing not to play.

If someone could create edible super shoes I'd be totally on board with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Great shoe but the sole just wears away too quickly for me. Could do with a bit of protection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I put +400 miles on a pair earlier in the year with no unusual wear. About normal for the newer tech light shoes. The heavy old style brooks or asics certainly have better protection but I love the featherweight shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭robnet77

I'm loving my Mach 5, they seem much better than the Saucony Ride 16 which were recommended to me by a "5-star reviews" shoe shop in Dublin.

I'm not concerned with durability as there are plenty of people who claim they used them for hundreds of miles. Time will tell, I got them on a good discount anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

First run in these marshmallows today, on light trails. Although there's a full coverage outsole this is not their natural environment, and they were...exciting, in the sense that I managed to accidentally kick a boulder that I've managed to run past without issue about 50 times previously in my Asics, and then almost tripped on various other small rocks.

Still, they're exactly what I was expecting and will be perfect for long, easy tarmac runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

Anyone else intrigued by the On Cyclon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

I've always been put off too much by how expensive all of their shoes are to try them, and I've never seen anyone use them apart from 'influencers'. They're just so unusual looking that it seems like it's going to be more of a risk than with a more traditional looking shoe.

Their shoe subscription model is interesting too, but €30 a month for one pair is a good bit more than I'm used to paying.

Although I was given a few pairs of their socks as a gift and they're so nice to run in that I bought several pairs more at ~€20 a pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Runner2023

+ 1 for the Mach 5s. They're amazing. They're already showing wear after about 30k though 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I checked Strava and I actually have 375km on them and they are not completely gone

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah the influencers really skew everything these days, its tough to find reviews at times. I was looking at it and technically you can "rent" them for one month for €30. Sign up for a month, then cancel and send them back.

After a couple of sessions in the Saucony Speed 3 I have to say I am very disappointed. Terrible shoe compared to previous iterations. Very difficult to get any actual speed out of them, they should change the name to Saucony Endorphin Slow.

Will use them for daily training but nothing else, certainly no sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I have 700k on my speed 2s and still going strong but retired my 3s at 500k, so I'm with you on that one.

The speed 1 and 2 were a fun shoe, lovely rocker, cushioned and could be used for anything. I don't know what the version 3 is but its no fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I definitely didn't enjoy it as much, it was more stable but just didn't have the Magic of the 1s or 2s, 2s were better for me in the hall with a bit more stability there.

Boson 12 seem to be getting good reviews so might try them out next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

I have 660k in my pair back home, I'm away for 5 weeks so brought a fresh pair. I've got a bad case of PF in my heel and these are the only shoe that let me run consistently. I reckon it's down to the hard plastic highlighted in picture.

However I do not use them for sessions as they don't really offer anything, definitely in the daily trainer bracket.

I have an old pair of Vaporfly original 550k for sessions, still snappy but my heel does be in bits after but always worth it.

The original vaporfly is still by far the best version!

The thing I noticed most was the lack of energy return, it feels like my whole body is shaking during foot strike. Not sure if there is a connection but I wore these shoes since Wednesday and have had to drop my long run today with severe pain in my lower back, I get plenty of niggles but this is my first dropped session since early summer. Maybe I got a bogey pair

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

I went through 900-1000k in the Speed 1 & 2 and now have the 3.

initially couldn’t believe the difference (negatively), but was told by everyone to give them a few runs.

500km later I actually forgot those initial runs and they seem good. Did my first 20miler of marathon season yesterday in them.

I think the main diff is that the previous versions could easily be used for speed interval work, but these not so much. They’re a lovely long run shoe and will do some pick-up blocks for sure

• Advertisement

The Hoka Mach 5 just got a lot of love by the Run Testers. I follow them on youtube, find them reliable as source of info, same goes for roadtrailrun.

The good thing of both is that they give you aggregate reviews by multiple testers:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I got 500k out of speed 1 and 2, Achilles then comes at me. I use the pro for speed work. 400k on pro and going strong.

Using puma deviate nitro 1 for long runs and they are going well.

Will get nitro 2 at xmas and pro 3 on the sales

Hi, are you happy with your purchase? Is the website reliable? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Website is very reliable, the VF2s are fine. Over the last 10 days I've done three runs in the Vaporfly original and even with 330 miles on them, they are imo a much better shoe.

What are some cheaper alternatives to the Vaporfly 2, but still very fast shoes? Both in terms of price and durability.

I already have the Hoka Mach 5 which seem rather fast to me, but I would like something that prompts me to go even faster, not necessarily the best of the best, as long as the difference in terms of time and minimising legs damage is not too significant.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

First run for me in the Magic Speed 3. A nice improvement from the 2.

I did have to go up half a size as found them a bit snug

Puma Deviate Nitro Elite or Adidas Takumi Sen would be my suggestions.

Whichever is cheaper as apparently there's very little difference between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

They are exactly the same bar a few small differences in the upper. I agree though the Takumi Sen 8 or 9 are absolutely brilliant shoes. I prefer them to the Vaporfly 2 actually.

Advertisement