Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price gouging by the pub, restaurant & hotel industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You'll get the "But But" crowd on now. I suspect the lower energy costs are levelled out by the wages. We are getting ripped off. There is no doubt about it. When you can get on a plane and stay in another European city comparable to Dublin, Cork, Kilkenny etc and still save money you know you are getting fleeced at home.

The last time I can remember prices coming down in Ireland or being in anyway decent was during the recession.

Restaurateurs and publicans will say they aren't making decent profits and the money is being spent on wages etc. Well ok then lads. Open you're books and prove it.

As I've said they can charge what they want but we can also call it out for what it is. They don't like that.

Recently there was a case when Taylor Swift concert was announced that a certain Hotel cancelled a pile of bookings in order to free the rooms up again. They blamed an IT error. Charged double the rate it was previously at and didn't offer it to the guests that had the room previously booked. That's scummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,431 ✭✭✭pgj2015

40 euro (rate 1) or 50 (rate 2) euro (sundays or 8 pm to 8 am) , that is what that trip would be not 75.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,678 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

No, I was in the place.

Two branches, same menu, I paid these prices, sitting down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Ehh no its not. Its a restaurant that also does take aways. They also do cocktails and coffees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Ireland minimum wage has been near the same for the past 10 years.

Hotel prices have doubled in the past 5.

Go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Try eating in Avoca.

I was charged e18.95 for a baked potato. It would be cheaper to eat at the airport.

Minimum wage has increased to €11.30 from €8.65

Hotel prices have not doubled. Some prices have increased but others haven't. You can still get loads of weekend deals etc on websites.

As I showed, decent hotel in Portugal is not cheap either.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/9463f6-historic-nmw-rates/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Minimum wage in Germany is higher than Ireland - €12 per hour - plus employer costs are also higher than in Ireland.

And I told you in the post you just quoted that they are a restaurant who *also* do takeaway

Doesnt look like no takeaway I've ever seen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not that I am advocating breakfasting in McDonald's, but if you fancied a Toastie and a hot drink of a morning, last week it would have cost you 3 euro, this week 4. That's a heck of an increase, which I am fairly sure isn't due to wage increases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Wage costs are not my problem.

I dont fancy a toastie or a hot drink.

McD got rid of the front counter staff, automated tills, jacked up prices.

If enough people stop buying, they will reduce prices.

Theres a lot of idiots having food delivered from McD. Its the ultimate in laziness and waste. Order a plain hamburger and have it delivered.

I asked the original poster and they already clarified. Anything of value to add to the conversation or just more repetitive posts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

They're eurosaver 6 nuggets went from €2 up to €3 recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The thing is that Ireland has become an increasingly costly place to live, regardless of whether you eat in or out. These rising costs affect businesses as well, combine that with some loss of footfall and prices are bound to rise so as the enterprises can keep open. The staycation is declined this year, just looking around immediate neighbours and extended family, all seem mad to jet off here & there and f**k the carbon footprints and all that goes with it, we'll party while it lasts mindset. Then there's the squeeze on accommodation, partic in west due to the state hoovering up same to cater for refugees and immigrants.

So be careful what you criticise, next time you go looking, they could well be gone.

Alot of the numbers pulled out by people here are to tell a story. I typed in on a website hotel in Munich for 1 night next week. Same night I got the hotel in Ireland for 90 for. These are the recommended hotesl from the website

Second image is the lowest price 4 star

3rd image is the same night, hotel in Dublin

Now tell me which is cheaper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,300 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ah yes, the hotel above coppers or one in Wicklow being compared to a luxury Munich hotel in the city centre. Clearly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Everything in this country is a rip off. Got quoted 440 euro for dental work in April and waited until i went away on holiday to Spain last month to get the work done, 130 euro and that was including the X-Ray.

I suppose with dental work people have little choice usually but when it comes to the pub industry as long as folk are gullible enough to pay the prices then it's more or less what they deserve.

Amnesty International’s new investigation shows that Israel imposes a system of oppression and domination against Palestinians across all areas under its control: in Israel and the OPT, and against Palestinian refugees, in order to benefit Jewish Israelis. This amounts to apartheid as prohibited in international law.

Must have touched a nerve there. I didnt realise I wasnt allowed to reply to posts, particularly ones that contradicted mine own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I'd expect a 4 star in Ireland to be a 4 star. Stayed in Bloomfield House Hotel a while ago. Absolute dump of a hotel. 4 stars proudly displayed above the door (one of the letters in the hotel name was missing, in reality they should have been missing at least 1 if not 2 stars).

Who gives out these stars anyway? It sounds like BER ratings, tick a few boxes and away you go with your good ratings.

What dates are these? So we can check your workings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Alot of the numbers pulled out by people here are to tell a story......

He says, with a straight face, as he picks a 2-star hotel above the busiest nightclub in the country and a hotel that's a full feckin Marathon away from the city centre.

I wonder why you didn't show prices of hotels that are 42km away from Munich, hmm?

EDIT: Why not pick a chain hotel with a presence in both here and Munich and compare the two? Would it be because you're guilty of that which you are confusing others of? HMMMM?

Link here to all Munich hotels with availability next Tuesday for a single occupant. Prices start below €50, for this place. No B&B in Ireland is selling rooms at a week's notice for €50, let alone a hotel. People aren't idiots, they know what the prices look like when they're booking holidays. The recent jumps and increases have made Centerparcs look like good value.

6th - 7th Sept. Maybe you should repost the same images 😂

Your welcome to type the same information into the website, its not that difficult to work it out which one it is

I couldnt be arsed to mess around with images/prices etc. Leave that up to the rest of the people on here.

So, to summarise:

you pulled two figures out of nowhere, even though you're not comparing like-with-like,

won't tell others what dates you picked so they can replicate your work,

then cherrypicked a) a 2-star dump above a late night club and b) a hotel that's literally an hours drive away from the city centre,

then accused others of trying to do what you just did and cherrypicking content to suit their argument.

Now, when your BS is being challenged, you're running for the hills, abandoning ship and pretending that you couldn't care about it all, when you clearly cared enough half an hour ago to mess around with images and prices to prove your point?

Is that correct?

You sir, are a fraud.

Munich hotels for those dates. Note that they're all a full 35km closer to Munich centre than the Ardboyne is to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I spent about 1k on a weekend break in the west coast last year, then I spent 600 on a week in Poland. It’s not just the hotels that are over priced. It’s drinks, restaurants and activities. It just mounts up fast and you feel no value from it.

That said things like council rates for businesses are a complete rip off, they can be half the price of rents in some cases and you’d be lucky to see a council worker with a brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Let me guess. Mid week winter dates that you "randomly" picked :)

• Advertisement

You used a completely different website to the one I used and then called me a fraud. On your bike.

I even posted the images to make it clear but seemingly that was a bit too difficult or you.

I haven't run anywhere, I said another person would have more time to mess around with prices/images. Which is exactly what you have done.

The cheek then to call someone a fraud.

Would say more but I suspect you would run to mods to try get me banned.

Advertisement