Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sold for €550 and that doesn't include taxes bringing it in from the UK at about €150. Is that cheap these days? I suppose it is compared with hybrid inverters.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

When I seen it, it was at 225! At that stage it was cheap. Seems to be trending at about 500. But cheaper ones do pop up.

Ah just get it send to northern Ireland, click and collect in Argos or any of the other delivery services.

Was @randombar looking for a complete solution ideally? Sunsynk now do all in one systems

No idea of pricing or when they'll come to market. If money was no object and I would want to buy a complete system now, I'd probably go for the myenergi libbi

• Registered Users Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's not fantastically insulated but it's not 1970s either. Walls are pumped, attic insulated, etc. BER was C1 before solar and B2 after. Our main issues are the windows out of date and if I had unlimited funds it would be on my list but I can't bring myself to spend thousands on windows. We use about 1500 kWh a month in winter and about 2/3 of that in summer. That's with most heating from oil so you'd have to add about 2000l of oil a year to that money, or equivalent in heat pump terms. We're not near a gas grid (or a water grid).

Speaking of water, I had the water pump upgraded and can immediately see a drop in baseload, we're down to 200-300w now from 500+. Best thing is? 85% funded by grant!

Plenty of grants for farmers too btw, under TAMS. Worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Shame we can't get our hands on these batteries from the US like your man David:

https://batteryhookup.com/products/new-catl-modules-with-20x-3-2v-280ah-prismatic-17-92kwh-150-kwh

Would have probably bought the 70kwh without a second thought.

I like that you can just drop these into a rack

• Advertisement

Saw that vid the other day, looked a complete pain in the neck to me dismantling that pack and dangerous too - got to be super careful with those balancing leads or you will have Sparky McSpark fireworks galore 💀

The cells look like EVE type cells, you can buy them from NKON for similar money as he paid (shipped). Or if you don't fancy the cells bulging, you could get the more sturdy but variable capacity CALB cells many of us have. What's stopping you doing that? Try sell those pre made batteries while they are still worth a bit and double your battery for zero additional costs?

You're not afraid, are you? 😂

I'd do it but only if I move all the PV kit to the shed, no attic would take over 1000kg without some serious reinforcement 🤣

I wouldn't say the nkon stuff is brand new with 0 cycles anyway so the quality wouldn't be the same.

Also 80 of them on nkon is €11000 and not the same as $9000 😉

It is roughly the same if you take into account shipping and VAT. And I'd say the NKON cells are new alright, they all seem to pull full capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

In the US they've a great tendancy to quote prices without sales tax (VAT). Makes comparing prices a pain

Might have been $9k plus 12% depending on the state. Still a far cry from 23% 😭

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Anyone found a way to get 0% VAT on the nkon stuff? That would be the holy grail for lifepo4 imo.

The EU are having a 🤬 laugh with the "0% VAT on renewables" it seems

• Advertisement

Get them delivered to France and hop on the ferry?

To be fair the EU gave member states the option of setting a 0% VAT rate on solar panels and related equipment but aren't able to tell them how it should be implemented

If they were serious about it wouldn't be the current nonsense via "installers" and would be for anyone buying renewable gear.

Start your own renewable install company @SD_DRACULA and claim the VAT back 😁

You know the AliExpress route is likely still working without VAT if you buy from the likes of PWOD official stores? It was the main reason I stocked up on batteries in quick succession this time last year. Basically if you get them for the sale price (typically about €1250-1300 per 16 * 200Ah) and are not charged for VAT when they arrive, you won't have much depreciation on them. In fact I sold my first set that I had for about 15 months for a good few hundred more than I paid for them

Main thing holding me back is the messiness of bms, balancer, and all sort of other hacks, can't be bothered dealing with all that babysitting and I know that YOU (@unkel) ARE THE BMS ETC 😁

I also don't have time to be a BMS. When we get a proper solution that just works without any errors/baby sitting I will properly look into it.

Neey/seplos/JK/esphome hacks don't cut it for me just yet.

No, no I do have a BMS. JK BMS. Excellent product, good value, easy to use, good app, intuitive. Does what it says on the tin. Also has built in active balancing. I now even let it do comms with my Sunsynk via an ESP32 device that @graememk made for me, also now stable and working well, although I still do not trust the SOC calculation of cheap BMS, so will have to keep an eye on that.

But comms is just optional, before I just let the inverter be the boss and then the JK BMS protects the battery, no need for any more babysitting than with a pre-made battery - which of course is just the same thing: a bunch of batteries, usually of an inferior type with a BMS, a fuse, etc. Nothing special about them, rather the opposite really, except of course the tidy form factor

Getting a good 100% "line in the sand" every so often keeps the SOC in check

Then its just counts power out, power in etc.. three steps forward, Three steps back.. and should be back at the line in the sand ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Still plenty of roofspace left first.

I think I'd have space for another 24kwp at home, and even more on an outfarm before having to go to solar fencing.

But perfect use of bifacial!

If I had your setup, that plus an NC7 would be my retirement plan 😃

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

US to Announce 'Breakthrough' on Fusion Energy (voanews.com)

This was the first article, they did it again a few days ago. Positive Fusion energy will revolutionise humanity but by golly will the big boys lobby against it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Meh, Fusion has been the next big thing since the start of the century and it'll probably still be the next big thing by the end of the century

Don't get me wrong, the technological and scientific achievements are amazing, but I think it faces a lot of the same problems as nuclear fission

I just don't see how it works in a commercial environment without massive government supports, and then it only becomes viable for the few countries with a big enough GDP to be able to support the industry (US, EU, China, Japan, South Korea and probably India)

I don't see it being cost competitive with wind and solar for a long long time, even with storage thrown in

Even if a test fusion plant was announced tomorrow, it'll probably be decades of research, testing, improvements, defining policy and regulations and designing systems to monitor and regulate the things

Considering we need to be carbon neutral by 2050 and negative thereafter, I don't see it being the big thing that does the job

Keep the research going for sure, but more now I'd be putting the money into wind, solar, interconnectors and storage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

First Light in the UK have a different approach and is much smaller component wise... anyway, it's interesting to keep up with all these ingenious designs and engineering but no energy generation should leave us off the obvious hook of reducing demand and increasing efficiency.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

I think neither increasing efficiency nor reducing demand are necessary. We just need to install a huge extra capacity of renewables (wind and PV), that by itself will make electricity much cheaper and often free or negatively priced because of over supply. This will motivate people and businesses to invest in batteries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

gotta respectfully disagree, personal responsibility for me is key, mass wanton consumption because of abundance (oil) got us into this mess. regardless, let's all wave at fossil fuels in the rear view! 👍🥳

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We're baby steps into all this, solar PV is very inefficient and not available to the masses. In time (100yrs?) fusion is the answer, and not to be confused with fission. We need fusion to get off this rock before our star implodes

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭con747

I think they will have figured something out if they are still here in 5+ billion years!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

At a personal level, I agree with personal responsibility. That's why I produce more electricity per year from my solar panels than my house, hot water plus 2 EVs consume 😁

But I'm a realist too. Most people are ignorant and selfish. They are never going to give up their diesel guzzling massive SUVs unless the government tax them into damnation. Same as the government has to take the initiative to get large scale renewables installed

When you couldn't care less about the price of petrol and diesel 🤣

Until you realize it's just another 🤬 excuse to price gouge everything...

Spotted this one in the funny pics thread and couldn't resist reposting it here 😁

• Advertisement

Also, I can't really argue with Randall's logic here

Advertisement