Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couple Ordered to Demolish House - any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You're pointing out your understanding of the written rules, my post that you thought you were correcting is the actual fact.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Shame to knock it down, but I'm not sure of the reason planning was refused. If it is a very serious breach of health and safety, dangerous access or whatever then yes it should be knocked. However if the Council can sort out access and any other issues, then it should not be knocked, but re purposed for some good use by the community.

That would mean that the site value would have to be paid to the owners I suppose.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Clearly not wouldn't be a shame to knock it. It's a big ugly monstrosity that says f-off to everyone in their community. That they cut corners on their legal obligation in terms of planning would give me grounds to ask if they also cut corners in other legal obligations e.g. electrical or sewerage.

It is not up to the council to sort oit access. The building has no right to be there regardless of whether the family live there of if it becomes a community centre (although I take it for granted that it would be completely unsuitable for communtiy use)

As for giving any money to the owners, f**k them - they should not receive a cent! They have already cost the taxpayer money through their court cases, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,374 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'll take that as a yes.

The Ukrainians you have a bee in your bonnet about will also get naturalised if they stay here after the war for long enough

I've no problem with someone being an immigrant - it not a good look though that someone who is one would be constantly begrudging other others.

The state foists ugly buildings on the community with utter impunity. If ugliness were a criteria for eradicating a building this country would be out of hospitals and a lot more besides. With the housing crisis at the moment, aesthetics should be the least of anyones concerns. The stupid perniciousness being advocated is unreal - cutting off your nose to spite your face. Demolishing a habitable building in the current accommodation crisis does no one any good and is bent.

As I said, offer the owners a deal, do some societal good and we'll cut a deal. This is a common idea enshrined in the legal system as community service.

Post edited by cnocbui on

What buildings have been foisted on the community by the government without following the then appropriate process?

As for the bullshit excuse about a housing crisis, should anyone be allowed to build massive houses wherever they want and use the "crisis" as their excuse if the council & courts tell them to get rid of it?

The planning laws are there for a reason. If you disagree with them then look to get them changed by the legislature but just because you disagree with a part of the law doesn't mean you can give it the two fingers and do what you want. As I said previously f**k the owners because for years they have been telling us all to go f**k ourselves!

Edit: typo

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,333 ✭✭✭✭muffler

So having worked for over 40 years in the planning business you are telling me Im wrong on that point. Ah well, whatever turns you on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The thing here is that if Meath CC don't look to enforce the rules here in totality it might well open the floodgates for others to blast ahead with similar developments. They may not want to proceed with a demolition but it's hard to see what other choice they have. No winners really but at the end of the day this family built a house 3 or 4 times the size of your average irish house. It's amazing really that it's still there 20 years later. It's a trophy house make no mistake about it. A throwback to Celtic Tiger indulgence. I really do think that if they'd have built a 4 bed bungalow they would have gotten retention and the headache for themselves and the council would be long over. Then they might have got further permission for extensions etc. On the face of it you'd have to agree that this was a big 2 fingers to everyone. I know that the family are suffering through a nightmare but they are prolonging it themselves now with silly suggestions of reducing the size etc. Pleading the local officials and trying to gain support from the public through the media. As I said if it were a modest dwelling and I truly believed they were at their wits end trying to build a house for their family I'd be much more sympathetic.

You can't just decide you want to live somewhere and knock up a house. That's not the way it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,374 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You could also argue that by making it such a headline story and putting stuff into the papers, the owners have pushed the council into a corner where they can't just quietly allow it to remain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭AyeGer

They wouldn’t be rewarded, they should have the house confiscated and pay them the value of the land only.

Perhaps a better solution for all is that they have the house knocked, reapply for permission and build something a bit more similar to the bungalows and houses around them.

Why should taxpayers money be used to pay this couple for the value of the site? This makes zero sense.

They should be made to knock the house at their expense and retain ownership of the site they chose to purchase.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

Fundamentally it's never too late (or too expensive) to do right thing. And the right thing here is to demolish it.

Very unfortunate for the family. Possibly puts them from a relative comfortable life to going on the housing list or renting at best. But this is entirely their own making. And completely illegal.

There's a case for confiscation of the property and use it to house someone else more deserving, given the housing crisis. But this house is too impracticably large for vast majority of people. It's too remote and environmentally challenging to subdivided into multiple properties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,259 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

State should take ownership of the house, let them rent it back

The house should not be there regardless of the owners - why can people not understand this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭feelings

Hopefully it'll be knocked soon and the couple get a bill for knocking it down and clearing the site. All the material will be expensive to dispose of!

Absolute chancers and only themselves to blame. No sympathy for them at all.

520sqm is what I have read. The sheer daftness to build without PP and then to put something like that up is incredible. Surely to god they must have had a conversation at some stage about it and raised the idea that it was madness proceeding without PP and then with something that would catch the attention of the whole country. As I've said if they'd have gone for 150sqm 4 bed they might have garnered some sort of sympathy or stood a chance of getting retention.

Edit: It's 588sqm. Holy crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

So who has made coin from all this? Who has paid for all the pointless legal bull?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

It really shouldn't, but you have to acknowledge it would be an awful waste to demolish it now.

State should have a mechanism to confiscate it without having to pay a reward, or possibly with the addition of a fine. Would send a message that you won't benefit from ignoring the law, you will be punished, but also a mechanism for avoiding the wasteful destruction of the house which could be put to some use

I don't think that is realistic though, so would still rather see the house knocked down than let them get away with it

You and me I'm going to guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭AyeGer

It was if the state was going to make use of the building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

It won't be. It'll be someone who is contracted to do it and paid big money. Eventually you will see them being found it contempt of a court order and facing possible prison terms. That will probably focus them.

I really does need to go. The whole planning process in Ireland will be worthless if this is allowed to remain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Easy, peasy... army ordnance team - strategically placed explosives. A few dozers to crush and level the debris and cover with topsoil from the site.

It really shouldn't, but you have to acknowledge it would be an awful waste to demolish it now.

It should be knocked for a number of reasons but most importantly that it would send a strong message that if you build without PP then expect the consequences.

As for the question someone asked as to who would knock it: I'll gladly volunteer!

I've heard that there is another 2 bed house built on the same parcel of land without PP also. Rented out to make a few quid off. The absolute gall and sheer cute hooring is breathtaking. Impressive actually.

As I stated before they will still be in the house in 10 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Planning permission granted in 2004, I believe;

2005 map foundations visible;

4 years later ;

Grand so. They won't be homeless then so that argument doesn't stack up. They can put an extra bedroom on to that and make do maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Council offered emergency accommodation to them as well.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

The 2 bed house looks substantial enough too. Seriously it's starting to look really bad now when people here of that. They left hat detail out of their plea for hearts and minds last week.

We all know it shouldnt be there, but the reality is that it is there.

Knocking down a perfectly good house during a housing crisis is ridiculous.

State should take ownership or it and do whats best for the state. Knocking it down isnt in anyones interests, other than for spite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what authority does the state have to seize a house?

The house was illegally built, should be able to take it via CAB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Of course it's in the states interest to knock it. You can't allow this kind of dismissive behaviour to dictate to the people... if the system needs to change, then change it, but if someone purposely defies the planning laws, then the building should absolutely be removed! Otherwise we'd be living in a lawless society...

If you’re talking about the smaller house, I don’t know who owns it.

The planning permission was in the name of Murtagh and Reilly.

If the state takes ownership of the house then you arent allowing any kind of behaviour. You are punishing the owners just as much as if you knocked it down. They lose the house, but the state gains a house.

The house is "removed" from the couple, for the benefit of the state.

With the "knock it down" approach no one gains.

• Advertisement

If the building is illegal, it’s illegal, no matter who owns it, that includes the state.

It will need to go. I suspect though it'll still be standing there in 10 years.

They should knock it and salvage what they. No reason why they wouldnt get permission to extend the other house. Imagine the plight of that though. Moving from a hotel into a modest 3 bed. What would the neighbours think.

From what ive read on other forums there is another property in the garden/plot which had been rented out. I know the PP was sought by another couple but ive heard its the Murrays who own it now. Could have bought it with the site.

Ah, ok .

be easy enough to find out if you want, but not something I’d be bothered with.

• Have they given a demolition date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Taking ownership by the state doesn't solve the problem of the location. The house is in the wrong location, and will generate inappropriate traffic for the location that it is in. The roads can't support a house of that size in that location. That's one of the reasons why planning was refused.

It has to come down.

The planning was refused for a much smaller house initially. I don’t think it was highways objecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Why does the owner go by different names in articles and on other planning applications ,one says his name is Michael and others say his name is Chris

Advertisement