Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the oldest aircraft type you believe you have flown in?

Options
  • 07-08-2023 11:41pm

I was born in 1961, but because flying was almost exclusive for the well-to-do, my first experience in a commercial flight was in 1978, an Aer Lingus 737 to London, followed by a connection to Pula by JAT Yugoslav Air (or whatever it was called precisely) 727.

The very oldest aircraft I have travelled in, simply for a joyride, was a DeHavilland Rapide at Caernarfon Airport in the 1980s.

The above is an old photo I took at the time at Caernarfon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Millennial checking in:

Commercial: FR BAC 111

Private: Cessna 172

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Oldest plane must have been my first flight in the mid 90s on a 727. Liked those tail stairs.

Antonov An-2P from 1972

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

1-11 aer lingus. Trident British Airways ca 1972.

Flew in the 1-11 in 1990s too.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Vickers Viscount to Guernsey in 1976 or thereabouts. I was only a kiddy and I don't remember the UK airport we flew from. I do remember being fascinated by the spherical ice cubes! I was told that they used these to negate the artificial horizon effect of square cubes to keep air sickness to a minimum.

(Random photo from t'internet)

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Delta Boeing 727 January 1997.

Very hard deceleration after landing!

The 727 is also the most comfortable plane i've flown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Stearman PT-17

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Dragon Rapide and a few different DC-3s, all on short pleasure flights. Commercially I've flown on three different Viscounts in the 1980s/'90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

BAC 111 to Majorca on my honeymoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

Vickers Viscount (Aer lingus, BEA), Fokker Friendship(Aer Lingus) and Handley Page Herald ( BUIA)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm told as as a babe, DC3 and a Viscount.

As an adult no idea. DC10 older 747 or 737. Remember those earphones with tubes no wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Of my top three commercial flights, the oldest was actually in Ireland – Amapola Flyg HP332 CFN-DUB – Fokker 50, aged 34.4 years.

After that, it'd be Danish Air Transport DX36 CPH-RNN – AT43, aged 32.8 years.

Close behind that is Air Koryo JS152 PEK-FNJ – IL62M, aged 32.4 years.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

My first flight was 1970 in this SRN4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Be going back a bit flew on a F27 Channel air express operated it that was the 90s After that HS 748 and C 130 that's well over 20 years ago.

Before that would have been the late 70s early 80s bucket& spade flights to Spain &Tunisia. Also an EI 747 in the 80s flew down to SNN and got the train back up.

The MD11 30F I flew on was an ex AA as the first class seats forward of the G NET were still in place with the AA logo on the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Economics101

Vickers Viscount (EI to LHR); mid to late 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

727-200

737-200

747-100

DC8-71

Shorts 330 or 360 I can’t recall which. Was DUB-IOM in the early ’80’s possibly ‘82/‘83….

• In 1979 I flew Moscow Vnukovo to Simferopol on board the second ever produced passenger jet, the Tupolev 104A, huge leg room, curtains on the windows, slowed by a parachute dragging on landing. I was on one of the last ever flights as it was withdrawn due to an accident too many. Scary beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Oldest and oddest: 1970's MI-8 helicopter in Cuba.

The flight engineer became the hostess when we were over Santiago de Cuba.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Mid to late 1960s.

De Havilland Chipmunk

Vickers Varsity

Slingsby Kirby Cadet glider

Beagle Auster

BEA BAC 111

The prop planes and the glider were feckin ancient. 😁

• I did these drawings as a young child following a visit or two to Dublin Airport. Guess the airplane models, I think the two airlines are obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• The flying box. I was on an EI 330 or was it a 360 going into Bristol, massive icicles hanging off wings, sighed with relief when we landed. Some years later an EI 360 crashed into a field in England following such an icing event, thankfully only injury was somebody breaking her ankle exiting. These aircraft at least had tin-parachute stall characteristic.

Most of the aircraft being listed here weren't especially old at the time. For anyone who really wants to trump others, you can still fly on a 1928 Ford Trimotor in the US. It was giving rides at Oshkosh recently at only $85 for an adult.

• I got to fly in two aircraft types shortly before their retirement from civil aviation. A Manx Vickers Viscount, and a BA Trident. The Viscount was incredibly quiet in the inside and landing were soft and imperceptible, no wonder it was lived by pax. I got the Trident Edinburgh to Heathrow, a real spitfire of a plane, ferociously noisy, a powerful climber and a massive whack at landing that caused my mother to believe we had come to grief, she was waiting for the evacuation to commence. You got a seat allocation at the airport desk and paid the fare as the “conductor” walked the aisle to collect. This was an hourly shuttle service and I don’t think pre-booking was a thing, you just turned up at the airport and waited for next space. Maybe you could pre-book but it didn’t seem to be a fine thing going by what I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BN2 Islander would be the oldest airframe, but a DC9 beats that by months in design/first flight.

And famously they would put on the standby Trident if one additional passenger turned up - or at least that's what was advertised! Good discussion here: https://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/519512-british-airways-shuttle-dates.html?highlight=british+airways+trident+shuttle

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭cobham

Dakota 1959 Dublin to Cherbourg. My mother's first flight and we were consoled that plane would 'glide' if the engines failed. Does that name sound right?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That would be a Douglas DC3, probably passenger converted from a military C47 version, Aer Lingus had them until 1963 and some other operators continued in the 60s.

• I flew on Joey. The noisy Trislander was fabulous in a good strong wind, approached Alderney’s short grass runway, heading for a hedge, I would t have been happy landing my little old hired Rallye 100 with so little space to hedge; with nose very high the Trislander touched down imperceptibly and was stopped in metres well before said hedge. Returning to Southampton, a seat belt buckle had got trapped when Joey’s doors were closed, causing an awful loud hammering during flight. Pilot couldn’t hear it with his headphones.

Joey is now hanging from a roof in a children’s play barn in Guernsey, where I sneaked in to take a picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pauly58

A de Havilland DH114 Heron from Southampton to Alderney about 1963, only young but I remember hitting bad air pockets over the Needles & being violently sick on the grass runway in Alderney.

Advertisement