Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

What connections are those, and how did they make him one of the most overpaid men in broadcasting?

Seriously? Tubs would just have to say teds wife looks like a pig and he’d bottle it and leave in tears

That’s it , the only “nothing burger “ was the actual show

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Not sure if some of the better paid "talent" were quick to defend him. It also turned the spotlight on their salaries and had people wondering about them and whether they are worth what RTE pays them.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I think this whole debacle has really put the spotlight on the rest of RTE's "talent" and of course RTE in general. If any other similar discoveries become apparent at other similar organisations (and you can bet there's stuff going on right now) it will put them in an awkward position to comment and for them to be perceived as having a truly impartial view. In other words, in areas such as this their credibility as an organisation has been greatly compromised. Taking for example the "talk to Joe show", going forward every caller is a potential difficult one and that also goes for any live debate show. Even if somehow they return Tubridy to radio**, they just can't let him engage with the public on a live platform. The whole suggestion that the injection of the Ryan Tubridy "brand" from 9am somehow initiates and sustaines a premium level of advertising revenue for the rest of the afternoon is crass. And if this way of thinking and selling this idea is coming from Backhurst and/or his executive circle, well then I think they are questioning the intelligence of the listener and the greater population and if that is so, I definitely wouldn't hold out any hope for meaningful change at RTE.

**Not RTE Radio 1 specific, they may attempt to install him on a digital service on a salary that has been reduced significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

What's the context behind the famous RT photo where he emulating JFK drawing in the background ? Why was it set up ? Is it a skit ? Did the photographer ask for that setup and RT was game or clueless ? Trying to understand why a public figure would allow themselves into that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

It's the cover of a book he wrote or co-wrote. At a guess the usual lack of self-awareness and constant need to promote/draw attention to himself were the motivators behind mimicking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

He's wearing more or less the same clothes as the illustrated JFK behind him. The boy is styled in a very similar way to the kid in the illustration.

I think we can assume it's very much the Noel Kelly way to plan this as a not so subtle suggestion that Ryan was to be a very presidential figure.

Not in a Paddy Hilary or Michael D way. Christ, they take us for such eejits and it probably would have worked too.

Now, from what I hear, Ryan will begin his Charlie Haughey, post Arms Trial style rehabilitation on the broadcasting version of the 'rubber chicken' circuit.

Starting on Lyric FM, on Sundays probably. A low impact gig where most people won't even be aware he's still on an RTE channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmm. ….”.rubber chicken” wouldn’t be too sure about that… at least ‘corn fed’ to my way of thinking.

Would suggest that Marty three Jobs , Aedín Ni Gormlaith, John “Edgy” Kelly and a few more are not eating

off paper plates and plastic cutlery??

Tubberty wouldnt be weighing in below those well fed geese, if I know Ar Tee Eeeee.

Rum do surely…..eeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I would surmise this is the only thing preventing the Toymans prodigal son like return. I doubt Bakhurst and the rest of the establishment and golden circle give a damn about public opinion or depleting licence fees. We saw this with Leo’s exposure as a crook, it was all about the legalities rather than ethics and how a public figure should conduct themselves, technically if a law was not broken then carry on as usual. The month of July was to a large extent a slow drip feed of mundane dross trying to in some way redeem the Toyman. Fell on deaf ears but that didn’t seem to matter and this was upped to talk of a return date. The only stumbling block is RTÉ staff that clearly have some clout and detest him and the carry on by his ilk. Can’t really see any way for Bakhurst but to get rid of him as the staff won’t be persuaded that he should return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Tubs couldn't just write the book, he features prominently in the artwork:

I genuinely wasn't aware of this until a number of posters mentioned this over the last few days. One pic would be bad enough, there's a few - and that's just from a quick look online. I haven't and won't be looking for a copy to check every page.

Trying to subliminally insert himself into history and associate himself with JFK by proxy.

Again I'd ask, does anyone around him say "no" to the man?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ah please stop posting those creepy pics 😐

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You ‘avin a larf?

Only problem with the ‘staff’ is they weren’t in on the ‘deals’ goin’ on.

A few ‘millon’ of taxpayers money will soften them up.

I mean, look at the Shinners!!

Almost convinced the gullible that they were only taking only the AIW.

And salting away ‘millions’.🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

The way Tubridy goes on about JFK. He wasn’t even born when JFK visited Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭Tow

No, it is how RTE talent think and operate. The product is not the book, the product is the tallent. It was not always this way, but has been for a couple of decades now.

Unfortunately for Tubbs he stamped his feet up and down, refused to accept a pay cut, pretended he did to his coworkers and public, caused multiple people to destroy their careers, brought to public attention how RTE spends people's money etc.

I don't know how the idea that RTE depended on him was built up within their management, he lost about half of Gerry Ryan's listeners when he got his slot.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• A Gript article prediction that ultimately the public need a known public face to blame, and he is that face, so won’t get back if the license fee protest continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Sorry someone posted this up before I can't seem to find the OP

Timmy starts of by telling us that few could know. Well that's not really true, as the spending decisions (above board decisions) were all over the place along with axing of some programming strands. The way in which the service had been present over the last 10 years should have suggested issues within RTÉ, and I think many did suggest there were problems within RTÉ's management. I under this pseudonym, and a previous one, highlighted these here on boards, as did others in many of the forums from the broadcasting forum to the radio forum and to the TV forum. And I have written to many politician's about it all, I have no doubt that others have also.

He goes on to say the he and the politicians found out over the past few weeks that there were "serious failings in its management" and governance. IMO many knew the issues in RTÉ and its bad management across its services, it was no surprise to many outside the political sphere.

One example of bad management is that they did not know that they need to submit a proposal to the minister and the department to close its digital radio services. When they found out that this was required they were insistent that they would submit such a proposal, but they never did, instead just switching off DAB.

This was part of their fanciful "strategy 2024" that saw them selling of art works and the RTÉ guide, that sport would be moved to RTÉ ONE from RTÉ2, that they'd move Lyric FM to Dublin and Cork. The only part of that strategy that they completed was the move of the NSO to the NCH, which they did a year later than expected, and that was instigated by the legislators, RTÉ had no remit to do anything with the NSO without sanction from the Department. And as I say when they did get sanction they failed to move on it.

He then largely praises Mr. Bakhurst. The fact that he "stood down" the executive board and replaced them with a "leadership" team and that his words show him to be someone wanting to gain back the trust of the public, staff and the oireachtas.

However, for some reason Bakhurst gave one member of his leadership team a promotion to "Deputy DG", while only removing one of the executive team (Collins) as 2 had already departed (O'Leary and Coveney), while its likely that Jennings is out sick for the foreseeable future.

But Timmy believes that Bakhurst is in a much stronger position to drive change in the organisation. He fails to mention that he's headed off on holidays, has failed to hand over any new documentation to either the PAC or the Media Committee, citing the 4 reports that are being worked on and that they won't be ready until October at the earliest, seems to me that Bakhurst has already slowed everything down. But Timmy is willing to give him time.

How much time? remember Dee Forbes was given 7 years (5 years and a 2 year extension) to get RTÉ working, the media had her in a honeymoon period for 7 full years, rarely asking hard questions about decisions made in the organisation regarding everything from programming and to the player. For example, from the outset of her tenure the media let the management team cut children's content by 75% without question, a decision made initially by the executive board over seen by Bakhurst as Deputy DG and Noel Curran as DG in 2016 and continued by Forbes.

I heard few in the media calling out the Toy Show the Musical as a farce, they were worried in might have actually been a hit and just wanted to save face.

No what we have in this article is the basic old Irish political adage of

resign - marry - return

and sure when you get back all will be good and forgotten.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

How long is Backhurst supposed to be on holidays for? Seriously, is he gone until September?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Waiting for NK to tell him when its safe to come back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

If he is stupid he will return of the launch of the RTÉ New Season out in the RDS!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

• Kevin Bakhurst seems to be the wrong person to handle this crisis as he seems part of the problem that is the RTE hierarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I sincerely hope he's at his desk right now - if not that is taking the p*ss. Chairperson of those Oireachtas committees should reconvene and call him back to attend in person next week to deliver reports and explain himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No comparison needed at all. If that was Tubs Insta graphic... it speaks volumes in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It was, for a very long time. There’s this too:

Pensive indeed.

Jesus that Instatubridy thing is creepy s*!t!

• The vanity is evident everywhere, the serious watercolour study to make him look “handsome and with gravitas”, the cartoon doodle making him look superior and important, the book filled with pictures on which his is a prominent columnist taking notes, the President of USA making the backdrop. It’s almost like a “Find Wally” book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭MOR316

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement