Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He's walked away because they've sold their midfield and haven't bought anyone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

5th currently, 5/2 to be relegated with pp. A few worse than them around, Luton, Sheff Utd, Bournemouth and Forrest below them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They've the worst squad by a distance.

Adama, Costa and Moutinho all walked for nothing, Neves, Collins and Jimenez were all cashed in on.

Matt Doherty was signed on a free. Full back being probably the only position they weren't at bare bones for.

They had a thin goal-shy squad as it was and they've weakened it way further.

Wouldn't be surprised of someone comes in for Nunes and Neto next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

True enough that Luton are probably faves for last place... I'd have no confidence in Wolves now though. At least the likes of Sheff Utd and Burnley are coming up with some confidence and feel-good factor, while similar can probably be said for Bournemouth and Forest staying up last year, whereas this could cause a total downturn in mood around Molineux. Looked such a mess last year before Lopetegui came in and turned them around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

So for all the net spend arguments, we don’t actually know exactly how much Chelsea and city have spent over the last few decades. Cheats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Xander10

I think they will be ok, O'Neill did it on a shoe string budget last season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Reckon they will be fine, hovering a couple of places above relegation for most of the year.

Luton are surely going down and Sheffield United most probably too I think - although they might surprise me.

At least 1 from Bouremouth/ Forrest is possible.

Burnley could actually hit the ground running, I'm thinking Burnley will do quite well.

Everton could well be in trouble this season again.

There are enough 'poorer' teams around for Wolves to stay up, but not by much.

• Advertisement

What has the world come to when you can't trust an organization run by a Russian Oligarch long linked with criminality, corruption and indeed (alleged) killing of business rivals to play with a straight bat? What's the world coming to?

Their transfer dealings over the last year appear as crooked as hell too. £100M supposedly transfered out of the club to that model of corporate governance Ukraine, amongst other eyebrow raising deals.

Nothing to see here.......lots of 'bunnies wandering' around the bridge I'd imagine

Lopategli going from Wolves... It's a loss boy just to Wolves but to the league, at least temporarily.

Did a good job there last year, reestablished himself somewhat, the job he's done will get him another big gig in sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

he knwe the Bournemouth squad, he is now taking over a mainly Portugese squad, that has lost its best players and seams in a complete mess- lose the first 2 games and it will turn nasty at Molineux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Xander10

They hammered a Rennes team this weekend, the same Rennes team that hammered west ham the week before.

It won't take much to stay up with the likes of Luton

Well I'd expect United to thump Wolves on Monday and expect West Ham to finish way ahead of Wolves - be shocked if O'Neill can get it right given the toxic atmosphere ther now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kinda think Luton are the outlier there though... wouldn't be too surprised if the other two promoted teams have a decent bash at staying up.

The one Wolves element I'm quite interested in is how Kalajdžić does this year once he makes his return. Was their big hope as a focal point last year, before instantly getting a horrible season ending injury. Looking forward to seeing how he does now - it's just not often you get to see a lad that big in action. Same height as Crouchy (6ft 7)

• Advertisement

I think Luton have made some clever additions so far and are being a bit underrated they've been responsible and avoided big expensive names while still improving.

They got promoted on the back of being greater than the sum of their parts so could see it done again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

These Premier League investigations operate at a glacial pace and have no real impact anyway. Anyone found guilty should have their league titles stripped at a minimum. If the league was properly run they would also remove them it as well. What City have most likely done, and perhaps Chelsea too, should be dealt with so harshly, so punitively, that nobody would want to be caught doing it again. At the minute they all see teams getting away with it, there is no disincentive.

City and Chelsea still hoovering up every available talent , FFP does not seam to affect them , whether Wolves (and Leicester) use FFP as a way not to spend , who knows, but does seam different rules for some.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Not defending either of those clubs but they used their owners wealth to generate Revenue from TV/Europe, player sales, tickets, commercial that are multiples of what Leicester or Wolves can achieve.

Wolves total revenue in their last accounts was 168million and they lost 46million. FFP is to make sure clubs don't over spend to the point they don't exist anymore and is not really going to counter any club that is getting money put into it.

Would like to see the PL do it like this. Basically same as rugby

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That's exactly how it should work, but i'm sure the PL will find "reasons" why they can't do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭djan

Fantastic implementation and 100% transparency. Easily achieved from a technological standpoint too. IMO would drastically improve referees perception and a sense of fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Also worth noting that with the ref mic'd up there was no abuse (or use of expletives) coming from the defending team either, just a straightforward request to review his decision.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭djan

Absolutely, probably one of the things that really annoys me about the sport across all levels is the amount of abuse and disrespect across the game be that from fans or towards referees. Interactions like above should also be broadcast to the stadium so fans are aware of the decision process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭evillive

There isn't a club in the premier League these days where the fans start acting up and go 'toxic' after a few losses. Look at the United fans booing Maguire in recent friendlies.

As a lifelong wolves fan (my first time at the Molineux was in the 70s) we just cant compete any the top end and if lopategui was sold a pup in terms of promised spending money I'm happy to see him go than sulk around. It's disappointing to see him go after such a good job last year but o'Neil's performance last year is just as good if not better.

We have a starting 11 who can compete as well as last year's team (with the exception of losing Neves, the most skilul player I've seen wear the old gold). And sure we'll miss moutinho, jiminez, traore, coady for what they brought to the fans in the past, but they just aren't premier standard no more. There is no depth in our squad, but what we have isn't bad at all

Sa,

kilman, Dawson, Doherty, semedo, ait nouri

Sarabia, nunes, Cunha, hoge, gomes, neto

Kaladzic, Chan, silva

Can all do a job, and yes city and arsenal will stuff us year in year out but everyone else knows we can beat them on our day.

Being a wolves fan is a struggle but it's what we know and the Nuno years and the joy the team brought us in that championship win and first year in the prem will take a while to be forgotten. I for one can't wait for monday night if them players bring all they can to the pitch what harm if we lose and **** the naysayers!!

Liverpool have bid £110m for Caicedo? That’s way over the odds. A British transfer record? Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

I'm injecting some black tar hopium here but that City line up doesn't strike fear into you as teams of the past. Also got a shock when I saw De Bruyne is 32, I thought he was maybe 29. Himself and Walker getting on a bit now, nothing lasts forever. Let's see if the team's performance drops a bit or things have gotten stale since the treble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ah yeah I mean all they have if KDB slows down is Bernardo, Foden and Alvarez in that lineup and Grealish on the bench. Their defense has Gvardiol on the bench and Ruben Dias not there but can still afford to have Laporte on the bench.

I don't agree to put it mildly 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Acosta

Ugh, Sky are running with this irrating title music for yet another season.

• Advertisement

And....... the season begins !!

That’s a nice City jersey. I thought there could be an off from City this year if they lost Walker and Silva as well as Gundogan and Mahrez. But they didn’t and then added that £90m defender and are also getting Paqyetta for £75m.

0-1, not exactly a surprise who scored.

Walker with one of his “I didn’t mean to deliberately run into the back of you in order to stop the counter attack” fouls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I enjoyed the first three minutes of the season where I could dream of someone other than city winning the league.

How is this sub allowed to take so long? Cuty players having a pow wow on the touchline.

De Bruyne off after 20 minutes, not a good start for him.

Kovacic on.

City's Lewis hit by what looked like a lighter.

Burnley looking pretty good. Can't keep this intensity up, but really giving it a go.

• Advertisement

And Haaland again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Can they just give city the title now so the actual competition of 2nd-4th can be enjoyed ?

Well done EPL, years of letting city and Chelsea away with cheating has come home to roost.

I wonder do people still think Haaland makes City weaker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I wouldn’t mind being cattle paid a couple of hundred grand a week

Did people actually say he made them weaker or did they say he makes them have less control of games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Will Pep hook Haalaand @ half time to continue trolling him when he's on a hat trick. 6/4 atm. I'm tempted but burnt a few times last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

De Bruyne is a massive loss or he would be for most clubs.

The City machine just keeps on churning out victories regardless.

Any sense of anticipation for the new season was nuked the moment Haaland put City a goal up.

Top of the table tonight and for the rest of the season barring some absolute miracle.

At least in three or four years they'll have a few points deducted so if someone has a flawless season they might push City a bit then. Greatest league in the world.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

They're winning away to a promoted side, I wouldn't be handing them any league titles tonight.

Hopefully the players of the other clubs have more fight than some of their fans.

No bite to Burnley at all. Can't remember a single tackle in the entire game.

First yellow of the season goes to Pep.

Rodri makes it 3 nil with 15 to go.

Burnley cannot defend corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Jesus...we need another pandemic...twas the only thing that has stopped them getting 6 in a row

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement