Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I am now a Steam Deck owner, wow its such a slick piece of kit, way bigger than I thought too.

Waiting for a 1TB SSD and usb adaptor now so just playing Halls of Torment for now but wow its perfect, way better than Vampire Survivors imo.

Once I get the parts it will be Tears of the Kingdom and a few other Switch games then Baldurs Gate 3, Control, Emudeck and a load of others Ive been hoarding forever.

How the hell is it downloading at 250 mb/s over wifi and why can't my gaming laptop do that?

Also whats the best way to send files to it wirelessly from my pc please?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

€339 for a refurbished 64GB SD direct from Valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You can do a network transfer and move your steam library. I've never done it so not sure of the exact flow but it was a feature added recently so I'd say it is painless enough.

Enjoy it, it's a great piece of kit. Give streaming a go too if you find battery life is poor. You can steam link to your desktop pretty flawlessly and have it take the brunt of the processing. You also have the console streaming or paid options such as geforce now, Xbox cloud, playstation plus etc etc.

Also look up deck mate. It's a handy attachment that lets you clip things to the back of it. I use the travel attachment and it lets me plug in kick stands or power packs or hard drives and it still fits in the docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Just received mine too today, won't be able to play with it until Thursday 😞 any tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I have a network share on my PC and I used Dolphin file manager in desktop mode to copy my roms to the sd card. If your pc is running linux, you'll need to install Samba from your software repository. On ubuntu, I think you'll be prompted to install samba anyway if you try to share a directory. If you're using windows, I think you just need to right-click and share the folder.

You should definitely set up a shared directory because it's simple and has other uses besides simple transfer - VLC can browse and play content from it for example

Do you have decky installed? It alerts for updates sometimes. I was also getting alerts to tell me that the steam sale was on. Both of those alerts were also visual when not in a game but I don't know if that's the case when playing a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Thanks for that, a friend of mine missed the 10% sale. 64GB wasn't showing up for him so he went with the 256GB, still a good deal. These aren't that old and being refurbed by Valve themselves (or their RMA team) is reassuring.

If you're just going to be playing games from your steam collection, everything is all simple enough. Before installing a game from your collection, check it against protondb for compatibility. Steam has a compatibility grade of its own but it loads of games that work just fine aren't marked as Verified and other Verified games like God of War run but by sacrificing visuals and frames. Protondb will just give you a better idea of what will work.

If you're on the go, traveling or something, lots of games don't need to run at 60fps. You can change the refresh rate to 40 for games that don't have a lot of fast movement on the screen. You need the refresh rate to be 60 for something like Hades, Ori or a first person shooter but 40 is smooth enough for a game like Alan Wake or Skyrim.

Steam can perform FSR on more demanding games. To take advantage of it, set the game resolution to something lower than 1280x800 and use fullscreen windowed/borderless in the ingame settings. It'll upscale the game quite nicely in more demanding games although it'll only go so far.

Play Aperture Desk Job. It's a free game from Valve that takes you through the Deck's controls and is a bit of a laugh. It'll be in the store. Speaking of controls, get to know the Controller Settings. It lets you configure keyboard/mouse mappings per game. For example, you can have the trackpad act as a mouse or have the gyro control get triggered by aiming down sights. You can download controller profiles if you don't want to map them yourself but it doesn't take much to set up the standard keyboard and mouse mappings.

A dock isn't necessary but you'll get more out of the deck with one. You can get one for under 40 quid. I'm docked right now with a mouse and keyboard plugged in using the desktop mode. Speaking of desktop mode, it's a full OS. If you're not familiar with linux, don't worry about it. It's intuitive enough. You use the trackpads or sticks for mouse and by default, the trigger buttons for clicking. One useful tip for dialog boxes that are more than 800 pixels in height is to hold alt and grab anywhere on the window and move it up or down. There was some emulator that had settings that spilled under the screen so you need to hold alt to click the OK button.

If you're emulating games, anything up to the Switch/PS3/XBOX360 can work, depending on the game. I found PS2 and Wii generation games and earlier stuff to work perfectly. Some people recommend using emudeck but if you've used emulators before, just install them from the Software Center and configure and add them to Steam in desktop mode if you want to play them in Steam OS mode.

It's worth installing decky and its plugin, powertools. It lets you switch off virtual threads which can help performance in older games that don't need more than 4 threads. You can also increase the dedicated vram in bios and also increase the pagefile/swapfile using cryoutilities but that's not really needed unless you're pushing the deck to ts limits. I only bothered with these to emulate Tears of the Kingdom but even at that, only the swapfile increase and reducing the threads to 4 was necessary. You don't need to bother with this though unless you're trying to play something heavy.

Anyway, have fun with the deck. It's a great device for its price point and while there's a lot that you can do with it, you can get a lot out of it by just using it as a handheld games console too.

Wow great list thank you ☺️

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Other than Steam native games I only really have Heroic launcher installed at the moment so unsure what'd be giving alerts other than the system itself. Might be something to do with updates or downloads but couldn't immediately spot the cause!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Is there anyway to get notifications when certain decks are back in stock. Looking at the refurb 64gb model but just says out of stock

Not 100% sure but I think it makes noise when game updates start or finish downloading, even cloud syncs I think make some noise. So it could just be cloud syncs as you play. I have heard them but not take any notice as to what was happening.

had a good mess around with it today, impressive bit of kit, havnt tried many full pc games yet but ive managed to setup game pass streaming, geforce now, got emudeck put on and have tried ps2 (runs perfectly)/switch (runs damn good) as well, as you suggested i have tried powertools and cryoutilities, ive vram set to 4gigs and whatever cryos recommended did to the swap stuff, found powertools helped get more performance on yuzu with botw, if i leave the tdp at 15w i get nearly consistent 30fps, at 8w im around 25fps which is actually quite playable. really impressed with it so far, although my hands need to get used to playing with a handheld :D

btw is there anyway of increasing the font size in desktop mode? my eyes are probably just getting older :(

Yes, hit the steam button and go into settings then under display ( I think) turn off the auto scaling or automatic resolution settings and it gives you much more control. You can make the text bigger and fit the screen better too. Mine was always showing a large black box around the screen.

Darn these refurbished decks better sell out soon. I was very tempted to buy a second one for messing with. 😅

imagine keeping an eye on stock for months with no joy and suddenly the 256gb version is back and you rush to buy.....still in stock 2 weeks later and now plenty of steam refurbished models with steam warranties for a lot less :D ffs

You're well up and running.

To make things easier to see, I make sure to have my glasses on and squint while getting closer and closer to the screen. I thought I was joking but that's exactly what I'm doing right now.

I just had a look to see if I could change the resolution in desktop mode but that left me confused and angry. That's in Settings -> Display. If you want to be confused and angry too, take a look.

Alternatively, you could just increase the fonts. Those are in Settings -> Appearance -> Fonts. Might be worth taking a screenshot of the existing values and saving it. Those settings affect the system fonts but applications such as browsers will use their own. Ctrl and + will increase the font in Firefox.

A quick look online for a solution to this wasn't very helpful. Most of the advice suggested an eye test and new glasses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah that does seem the most likely reason alright! It was chirping away the other night but I had a stronger internet connection than usual so it was probably flying through upgrades and syncs in the background.

Pfff my eyes are perfect I'm in the prime of my life 🤣

What did you do and what sort of results did you get with emulating totk?

• Advertisement

SSH is flawless and takes 2 minutes to set up, it is perfect, as in no different to Windows File explorer apart from the lag while the files are sent over wifi. All the others I tried first seem to choke on large files, I avoided SSH and tried everything else first because I thought it was all Linux command prompts but nah you just have to type in 2 simple ones and you're done forever.

My god this thing is amazing, what was I thinking not buying one at launch? Its saved me the price of a new gaming rig and brought me back to gaming, its just incredible. I might never build another pc unless something truly amazing happens with VR, otherwise Ill just buy each new version of the Deck, handheld and/or the dock with the PS5 controller is the way to go, Im going back through my Steam and Epic libraries and devouring stuff where on desktop I just couldn't be bothered, its a total gamechanger. Ive played more in the last week than I have in 6 months no exaggeration.

Same here, I've put 70 hours into Satisfactory over the last few weeks. I play the PS5 a lot but Steam deck prob pips that at the moment too.

I don't think I've turned on my gaming PC since I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My solution to this eyesight problem might be to just get an Ayeno Kun - 8.4" display, 1600p and a big battery. Unfortunately it's not available yet and it's via Kickstarter.

I'm playing Kingdom Come Deliverance at the moment and it's only workable for me docked and displaying on the big TV. There is a lot of reading of small text needed. The SD doesn't have the grunt to run this well, in terms of graphics and frame rates.

I asked my IT advisor if Steam OS could be loaded on it and he thought that in theory it should be possible. He'll be busy if I do end up getting one.

It's running between 27 and 30 fps with the odd stutter. In villages you could knock another 5 frames off that. Also have occasional multi second delay when returning from menus but that's because of the ASTC recompression.

On the deck itself, I have increased the vram to 4 and increased the swapfile to 12.

In gamescope, I have half-rate shading, Refresh rate at 60, frames capped at 30. I'm playing while plugged in so I have no power limit set.

In Powertools, I have SMT off, min/max clock set to 3000/3500 with scheduler set to Performance. GPU min/max both at 1000.

In yuzu itself (nightly from the repository), I have the following. The important ones are DynamicFPS. If you spot anything that jumps out as hitting performance let me know.

Setting ASTC Decoding to CPU might help with the delay when exiting menus. I haven't got around to trying it yet.

I have unticked async shader building but I had it switched on while building shaders.

These might not be the best settings though. I might be missing something or doing something silly but it's quite playable.

I was playing God of War and had to stop. The sacrifice in graphics and framerates was a bit much and I felt that I was missing out on some great visuals. I didn't actually expect it to play that well to be honest. I just installed it to see what the limits of the steam deck were. I'll play it on my forgotten PC sometime. Other modern AAA games run quite well though at 40fps which is smooth enough on a small screen. Given that it's a handheld, I'm willing to accept that some games, particularly poorly optimised console ports, will struggle to run. That's less that 1% of the games that it can play just fine.

Steam OS on the Aya neo can be done but it's not a smooth experience according to the folks on reddit. It's a bit buggy and performance isn't great. Steam big picture mode using the windows client seems to be the recommended approach for now.

You can grab Darkside detective 1&2 (made in Ireland), metro 2033 and last light (redux version) and Dishonored for €6.

Again fantastic reply, thank you. I'm going to try some of these settings on botw and see if they work on that. Would you recommend using yuzu nightly vs main?

On a different note, tried bg3 on this, works brilliantly at all medium with quality far.

Having a pretty strange issue at the moment, if I leave the deck sleeping for an extended amount of time (say at night) the controller stops working on wake, touch screen, volume, power all work but the controller doesn't. Had it yesterday and this morning but it randomly started working again both times.

Has anyone dealt with anything like this? I've done a factory reset to see if it's some setting/app I messed with.

• Advertisement

I used early access in the beginning https://github.com/pineappleEA/pineapple-src/releases. Around a month or two ago I switched back to the one in the Software Centre. The version is something like 1520 or thereabouts.

Advertisement