Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

My weather app and ME are basically showing cloud for tomorrow, and rain on Thursday in my part of Cork City. Not the best when they have been hyped up as the best days for the last month ;(

Gradually got duller and duller down here in west cork today too, after a long weekend. Foggy and drizzle now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The Fleadh was basking in sunshine today in mullingar

Great crowds and music

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The best way i can sum up the weekend just gone while certainly not like summer was not bad. From miles on the road to miles up and about it was actually sound. Birr airshow Saturday had no weather related issues, Sligo Airshow sunday no issues and Rush airshow on the east coast yesterday no problems . I cant understand posts from Spain etc saying its fabulous, thats why you there . Enjoy it whatever it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I have a feeling we could still get a warm and settled periods after mid month possibly extending into September. It would fit the pattern of the weather over the last while if it pans out that way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I see Iran hit 70c today that's absolutely Insane reading's, I wonder if it was official though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I think that is more the Heat Index reading... Apparent temperature......good article below from NOAA about it, either way it is a savage temperature and would be so oppressive.

Was looking up a Heat index calculator and it shows a temp of 42C and Relative Humidity of 59% would give a Heat Index temp of 70C ( Extreme Danger ) obviously it could be a higher temperature and bit lower humidity too.

I see it is giving 40 to 41c there most days this week and lowest temp at night 31C and feeling like 40C!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Yes I checked wow shortly after I posted that I don’t think 1 station in Connacht had 1mm from it at that time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A high of 25C tomorrow ?? Will need plenty of sunshine to reach that I would think.

Mild night tonight , still 16.8C and calm. Was passing the windfarm near Ballylongford tonight and all the turbines were motionless.

Nice link. I messed around on the calculator. 50c & 32% humidity would = heat index temperature of 70c as well. It also states heat index values were devised for shady light wind conditions, standing in full exposure to direct sunlight can increase it by up to 15f.

Also 70c (158f) exceeds any total above. *Please note: The Heat Index calculation may produce meaningless results for temperatures and dew points outside of the the range depicted on the Heat Index Chart linked below.

Just illustrates how excessive it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

My bad I thought it was air temperature sorry I'm not this dosy lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s very dull and overcast in Carlow. Mountain is completely obscured. I’m not too optimistic about this heatwave !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm not too optimistic either however your post is the first I've heard of it so please indulge me with more information on this up and coming alleged heatwave as I've not seen anything that suggests that there's one on the way in the near term.

If your source is via a tabloid media outlet/click bait, please grab your coat and exit stage left ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Ah, my sincere apologies. I hadn't picked up on your sarcasm in your previous post. You were clearly making a mockery of the tabloids/click bait sites and not one who was duped by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Heavy drizzle this morning but mild. I was hoping for a couple of dry days which would allow me to cut the wild meadow (lawn).

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Bloody humid here today in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Lovely Summers day in Galway humid with Drizzle, thanks ME for the two days of Summer really enjoying them. They should never have mentioned them .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

That drizzle I mentioned earlier has turned to rain. This is not what was forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭jaffa20

What is it with all the clouds in the forecast until the evening? Hopefully it clears up earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Very mild and warm night last night..

Dry and cloudy in Galway this morning. Looks like no sunshine forecast till evening. Boo.

16⁰ NE Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

Just like the snow we get our heatwaves are messy too. No dry powdery heatwave just Atlantic muck mixed with heatwave.

Itl be 25c by the end of today though. So it's a day of not knowing what to wear. Coat tshirt both jeans shorts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Thick fog here in west cork still, hopefully it burns off! Edit: slowly burning off at last

Post edited by SleetAndSnow on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not dry in Galway City foggy with drizzle non stop since 8am

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Rinse and repeat it -dark dreary old day in Cork City as usual pure pish

Balmy 23.9C here near Tralee, shorts and sandals again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Very overcast in Dublin, warmish, misty rain on the breeze. Disappointing so far, but fingers crossed it brightens up later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very disappointing here in Meath, thick grey cloud and a waste of warm temperatures without the sunshine, but at least it's dry!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭esposito

Happy enough with the weather in Dublin today. Warm and humid. Been a while since I wore shorts in Ireland! Feels like summer again despite the predominantly cloudy conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

We have lots of warm air in Galway. Very pleasant indeed. I have a match later which could be sweaty!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Rainfall amounts over the next seven days are not forecast to be as high, but will remain above normal in the west and northwest with closer to average totals expected across midland areas. In the east and across parts of the south, it will be drier with between 60 and 100% of average expected here.

Sunshine amounts have been below normal countrywide over the past week. The sunniest location was Dublin, recording 29.6 hours of sunshine in total. Sunshine amounts will vary this week and are likely to be around normal for this time of year.

Advertisement