Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

This place would explode if we picked a squad as unbalanced as that South African one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It certainly is. But equally 4 mins is an awful lot less that you’re making out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Shehal

If only we had the deluded optimism that some of those SA fans have. They could get knocked out in the pool stage and still claim it's some sort of Rassie masterplan...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 inbloom427

”Quite a drop off”… absolute nonsense. Henderson is a fantastic player when he is fit and finds some form, which he may well be and have judging by last weekend. One of Ireland’s best players in the run up to the last Lion’s tour (although Beirne was arguably Ireland’s very best during that period). Rightly picked ahead of him when Ryan wasn’t playing well, who was the 3rd best lock at that time. Thankfully Ryan is back in fine form but if he was the one coming back from consistent injuries, he’d be given the respect he deserves. Henderson will have a fantastic World Cup and play a big role if we go far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭TheRona

The best openside in the world already plays at 8.....for NZ 😂

• Advertisement

Your 24 hour exile begins now. Enjoy the day off, chat tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

”Quite a drop off”

Yep. Beirne was the best lock in world rugby in 2022 and was named in the World Rugby team of the year. He put in the best performance I've ever seen from an Irish lock in the 3rd test v NZ. Ryan has been outstanding and one of the form locks in world rugby so far this year. Henderson isn't at that level and hasn't been in form for about 2 years and it remains to be seen whether he'll get back to his best. I hope he does because he's top class when he's playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

You’re painting those who wanted Kleyn picked as also wanting Ireland to lose.

I mean, after Kleyn got picked for SA, there we're literally people saying they would be supporting South Africa at the World Cup. South Africa who are in Ireland's group. Kind of makes one think that they never really had Ireland's interests at heart.

He has suffered a series of unfortunate injuries, rather than not “being in form”. On his day and when he is in form, he is right up there with Beirne and Ryan, certainly at that level. We can check in on this again in a few months - fantastic World Cup ahead for him, hopefully a big showing in a winning quarter final and you can apologise then.

Conan not travelling to Portugal for the camp, still no suggestion it's particularly serious but that's not ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There was one poster. Who is well known for hyperbole.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Unless there's an injury the starting second row will be Ryan and Beirne. Whether is form or otherwise, Henderson is now down the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

Is the view by posters that some on here are hoping Ireland lose a flash back for themselves when Toner was dropped from the 2019 RWC squad

One poster does not equal people.

There were many more who both argued for Kleyn’s inclusion and want Ireland to win.

But this is a good illustration of my issue from the outset. Legitimate, reasonable criticism was getting lumped in with hyperbole. As if they were the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Can someone link to the poster who said they were cheering for South Africa? That sounds hysterical.

Not sure that will be quite correct come the South Africa pool game, but he will have a huge impact from the bench even if I’m wrong. Having 3 top locks will be a big part of us having any success against the bigger teams, and the reality is the man on the bench plays just as important a role (and is hardly “down the pecking order”).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I've more or less talked myself into Frawley going, tbh.

Sexton, Crowley and Frawley.

Frawley and JOB combine to cover 10-15.

Then, you have Crowley in camp for Samoa, and the two initial pool fixtures. I see a lot more upside to that, i.e., the younger player who will benefit more from time in camp and international minutes. Byrne is likely a lot closer to his ceiling, but more importantly, wouldn't need a huge amount of time to get into his rhythm if he's called in as an injury replacement.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Didn't notice that myself but a bit worrying if true. Shades of Adam Byrne not having a clue where to position himself, Kearney pointing at his man for him when Munster played Leinster before.

He's plenty young though and I'd back him to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I'm just seeing the Italy match or at least most of it ...but am I missing something here but was Crowley not distributing the ball from a more or less static position a lot. Is the key of our attack not our 9s and 10s distributing nearly always as running thread themselves, i haven't really seen it from him in an green shirt yet...are we talking up his prospects as second choice too much.

• Advertisement

He's certainly significantly more of a running threat than RB and, imo, was making those passing decisions a lot flatter than RB tends to. It's an imperfect comparison, and the smallest of sample sizes, but comparing Crowley's stats on Saturday vs RB's stats vs Italy in the 6N's is indicative of the above.

Crowley had 29 passes but made 36m off 12 carries.

RB, similarly, had 25 passes but made only 4m off 3 carries.

(Crowley was at 15 for some of those stats, but the one sizeable and notable break he made came from 10).

A large part of the reason Crowley is being talked up as second choice is because RB certainly doesn't have that running threat you speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Wish we had Kleyn and Ben Healy in the squad instead of Joe McCarthy and Ross Byrne, not going to lie...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I doubt many who aren't Leinster fans would disagree. Kleyn and Healy are talents clearly wanted by other top nations, would anyone have come knocking for Ross Byrne?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think the only way Frawley goes is if we go 19/14....and that's certainly not out of the question. I do think we need to look at the wider period of time to get an insight into what the coaching team are considering. Guys aren't going to be included off the back of one game. If an outsider is included, it will be because he has been tearing it up in training too at the very least. And then we have a number of guys who the coaching team have shown a real interest in over a sustained period.....and Frawley is very much one of those. He was probably the third choice outhalf (despite not even being capped) less than a year ago.

Frawley has already said himself he has been training at 10, 12, 13 and 15. Interestingly, in his injury curtailed season for Leinster, he still managed to start games in all four of those jerseys so there's an argument that he does genuinely offer a real utility back option which is an attractive option.

If he was to go, that would mean the end of McCloskey, undoubtedly as well as Osborne (who was already unlikely). It would probably leave the final spot as a straight call between JOB, Earls and Stockdale with the former being the obvious frontrunner.

If we go 18/15, there's no need for Frawley. You can take McCloskey (a better 12), JOB (a better full back, as good a 13 and offers a wing option that Frawley doesn't) and Earls/Stockdale (an extra player that gives you dedicated wing cover) which gives you cover right across the backline.

Right now, I'd be leaning towards the 18/15 split with the 18 forwards that you named yourself previously as well as McCloskey, JOB and Stockdale supplementing the nailed down 12 backs.

I would guess that the coaches have a couple of different scenarios built out for the structure of their squad. An injury to one group or another could change the plan to be either 18/15 or 19/14. Similarly, it might change the plan to go with 8 or 9 front row guys.

Given he was already capped by his home nation at a younger age, I guess we'll never know.

Just to temper some of the concerns around Conan, here are the actual quotes (and context) from Easterby yesterday:

Ireland say they are not worried the issue will threaten Conan’s involvement in this year’s tournament.

“Genuinely not,” said Easterby. “Jack has, in the past, had troubles with his foot but it’s nothing like it was back in 2019. He was pretty bullish around the injury. From everything that we’re hearing – and we haven’t had full feedback yet – but everything we’re hearing is it’s positive injury as opposed to a really negative one.”

“We’ll find out next week (if he’s available to play England). We’re still waiting on an assessment and we decided it was probably best for him to stay back in Dublin and rehab and then we’ll get a better indication on how he is when we arrive back into camp next week.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

I see potential in this selection. We will see how Bryne performs against England but similarly to four years ago, he could play himself off the plane.

Advertisement