Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

And the gardai still never established anything beyond some circumstantial evidence and unreliable witnesses that the DPP didn't find their was anything close enough to going to court on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭Deeec

How would Bailey have known Sophie was alone though? She never travelled alone to the house before that visit so why would he assume she was alone that Christmas. There is no way Bailey would have known for definite that she was alone. Why would he trek to her house for sex with the risk that someone else was in the house.

It is much more likely the killer knew she was alone and this does not point to Bailey. There are only a few people that knew she was alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

@Fr Tod Umptious If that would be reason enough for Ian Bailey it would be reason enough for any other man. But there is nothing to support the supposition.

You even contradict yourself in your reasoning - saying "He did go there to violently rape her" while also saying "he expected her to concent easily because he was so charming"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But it doesn't matter if he knew she was alone or not.

He was going there for sex, if someone else answered the door he would have legged it, or if he thought someone else was there as he was approaching he might have turned and left without doing anything.

If he saw her around the village earlier and she was alone he may have assumed she was alone.

But remember he was drunk and horny, drunk horny people don't act rationally.

He was going to go there for sex with the hot French woman, he was not doing a "risk assessment" about whether she was alone or not before deciding to head for her house and try his luck.

Typo

I fixed it now

"He didn't go there to violently rape her."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭Deeec

Im not male myself so I dont know how the male brain works. I cant imagine any man though knocking on a womans door during the night for sex and risking that her husband may be there. Maybe the males on this forum will tell me otherwise.

The chances of a french woman visiting Ireland alone at christmas time is really slim - even Bailey wouldnt have assumed she was alone by just seeing her in the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yet he was so drunk he was able to get to the cottage, going across fields in the dark in winter.

On the off chance this woman might be there alone, and might be interested, at 3/4/5 am in the morning.

So drunk as to not be acting rationally, yet not leave any trace at the scene.

It doesn't add up and never has.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

And it doesn't matter that he trekked so far to her house, he had been drinking whiskey and it's well established that he was prone to acting strangely after drinking whiskey, not to mention that walking the roads in the dead of night were already his thing.

So somebody drunk enough to do this can competently clean the place up of all forensic evidence afterwards?

And didn't leave any DNA evidence of any kind? A drunk man basically leaving not a trace behind? On top of this, we've got posters referring to his injuries as circumstantial evidence but still nothing? That really begins to start sounding implausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I doubt very much that this murder was ever about sex. She was neither raped, nor was rape attempted.

Also, there are 3 suspects we know of who's motive is always mentioned in a sexual context in terms of motive: That's Bailey, and one French man and one German guy, both committing suicide upon return to their countries of origin.

I also doubt that if the murderer's intention and motive would have been sex or rape, Sophie wouldn't have opened the door in the middle of the night or in the early hours of the morning.

I agree with this, however it's also possible that the police didn't collect any DNA at all. We don't know that. At the same time a drunk Bailey stumbling for one hour though the dakness to get to some rural cottage would have had to live with the reality that Sophie wasn't at home that night, or risk that Sophie was in company of another man that night, or didn't open the door to him at all. But if he was drunk he probably didn't think rationally as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ms Robini

There is evidence to suggest Ian Bailey was in the car with Sophie on Friday 20 December 1996. Let’s say that he was in the car with her that Friday - if that can be established, that means he would have known she was unaccompanied on this trip, that she was staying in West Cork alone.

Can you please specify what the actual evidence is? And still not a trace of him ever having been in the car? Cause an absence of DNA or fingerprints means he wasn't in the car or the Gardai were entirely incompetent and didn't gather anything as @tinytobe said.

"There is evidence."

None that you have produced, so your claim has no standing or credibility.

If wishes were horses...

I am afraid, it's not that easy as to say "Let's say that he was in the car with her ( Sophie ) that Friday".

Being in a car with somebody doesn't prove murder in the first place.

There as no evidence that Bailey was ever in Sophie's car, - at least as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Annascaul

Yes, let's just say Bailey did it, and build the evidence around it. And you will be or would have been the willing little helper of the corrupt police back then to make that happen. And yes, being in the car with a victim does make one murderer and any judge will believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yes, I see your point.

But had Bailey actually been seen with Sophie, then that would, to some extent, validate some of the circumstantial stuff.

However, there is no evidence that he was seen.....certainly not in the Garda file presented to the DPP.

And, from what I've read and seen, there is no evidence of any association between them. That is a key point.

Does anyone seriously think Bailey, if he was involved with Sophie before the murder, would have been able to keep it quiet?

It certainly doesn't fit with any other descriptions of his character from those who argue he is the murderer.

No.

But I'd go further. Had there been any involvement between them, in a place like Schull, it would have been known.

Everyone knows everyone down there.

Yep. And to add, Sophie's near neighbours would recognise Bailey on sight instantly.

Circumstantial suff is basically nothing.

Suppose I or yourself had known Sophie before the murder? Had met her? Had a one night affair with her? Was taking walks at night, or loitering in dark alleyways, buying or drinking from an expensive bottle of wine, watching Sophie as she entered a shop? Still I or you wouldn't be the murderer and still it wouldn't prove murder beyond reasonable doubt.

• Advertisement

No....it wouldn't.

I agree with you.

But if......and its a big if.......there was an association of some kind between them......then that sheds a slightly different light on some of the other "circumstantial evidence"

Basically, I regard the circumstantial evidence, as presented to the DPP by the Gardai, as, at best, extremely tenuous, at worst, trumped up hearsay and conjecture. The only reason, as far as I can see, for the sexual motive being suggested, is that it is the only possible motive for Bailey.

I can see no motive for Bailey, no evidence of any association between them, no evidence of his presence at the scene, no forensics....nothing. Without one or more of these, the case against him is non existent. And the DPP report explains this very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You are stating all of this as if it was fact when it's actually just your conjecture.

Where is that evidence? What evidence is there to suggest Ian Bailey was in the car with Sophie on Friday 20th December 1996? What witness said this?

This article mentions a garage owner who thought he served Sophie in Skibbereen, and saw a man in the car.

Bailey is not identified. Just the man was tall, had an anorak top (?) rolled up and could not make out face.

So could be Bailey, could be another tall man, could be the garage owner is mistaken.

“The guards who I gave the statement to said that it couldn’t have been her as she was spotted in Ballydehob buying firewood close to the time I gave that day. We didn’t sell firewood at the time and that’s why I think she stopped there later on. Apparently, the man in question was no longer in the car with her.”

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ms Robini

Sophie stopped for petrol in Skibbereen and the petrol pump attendant, Mr Sean Murray, gave a detailed statement confirming she had a male passenger with her. The description of the passenger given by Mr Murray matches in many respects Ian Bailey’s description at that time. There is evidence which tends to suggest that a person matching Ian Bailey’s description was in the car with Sophie that day. Further building upon that evidence strengthens the case.

You are stating all of this as if it was fact when it's actually just your conjecture.

I'm not saying anything as if it were fact.

Just my opinions on what may have happened and the reasons why I think Bailey should be a prime suspect above all others.

There is obviously not enough for a trial, that has been established for decades at this stage.

Matching Ian Bailey's description? All he said was that he was 'tall' and male. Wearing an anorak top.

Not the famous usual jacket that has been discussed so often on this thread!

How does that match in many respects Bailey's description at that time.

At that time? Has he grown shorter? Changed gender???

Do you have a picture of Bailey in an anorak top???

Round up all the tale males in West Cork!

There is evidence which tends to suggest you will seize upon any piece of information in a textbook example of confirmation bias. Even information which doesn't identify Bailey but could just as easily be used to point the finger elsewhere.

This is why the DPP looks over the evidence. Because this ain't 'evidence' that could ever be used in a murder trial.

Suppose Bailey was in Sophie's car, I'd guess the Gards would have found fingerprints or maybe a hair sample? That is if the Gards really checked the car, which I presume they did? Or didn't and then just said, they didn't find anything? We don't know that one. Bailey would hardly have wiped the car in presence of Sophie when he got out....

Did Bailey own a car? I think he did? Or did Jules drive him? And how would Jules have reacted if she found out Bailey ran around with Sophie? Also news would have travelled fast in rural Ireland, no real secrets there.

Bailey woud not have benefitted in any way from Sophie's death. Even if he was looking for contracting art work for Sophie, killing her wouldn't have gotten him an employment contract. He gained nothing from her death, not financially, and certainly didn't inherit anything. Whatever way I look at it, I can't find any material benefit Bailey would have gained if he killed her, and he certainly didn't rape her or attempt to rape her.

So finding a motive for Bailey is still hard for me. A history for beating up Jules is certainly no motive for killing Sophie.

And re tracing steps is also hard, more than a quarter of a century later. Who spoke with whom, who knew whom and how well and who was seen with whom is all a bit impossible by now to get a secure answer, only circumstancial evidence at best, even worse getting an alibi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The filling station sighting wasn't confirmed, if I remember correctly. Doubts over the car colour and even if it was Sophie at all. Station owner is dead now afaik.

I am wondering how many cars the likes of Sophie's came by that petrol station, how many women drivers, and guys sitting in the car? Probably a common occurance, I'd say.

And even if the station attendant was alive, he won't remember, he'd be lucky if he got the year right or the day and then it certainly won't prove murder.

• Advertisement

Plus no record of him ever saying it was Bailey seen in the car.

Advertisement