Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I would be in agreement to cutting the senior championship to 10 or even 8 teams. However the format you have won’t fit into the split season. 8 teams playing each other once takes 7 weeks. 1/4’s, semi & final brings that championship to 10 weeks. In the current format there is only 7 weeks to run off the hurling championship & same for football, possibly 1 further week for contingency. We would have to start the championships earlier than we currently do to fit that in.

Unfortunately I can’t see a scenario where cutting our senior teams by 4 will be passed by the clubs. The senior clubs won’t want it & the other clubs who want to get to senior won’t want to decrease their chances imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

Another disappointing day at Croke Park. Cork were excellent and were determined not to lose 3 finals in a row. Disastrous start with one of our best players Vicki Falconer going off with a bad looking injury in first minute. It was downhill from then on with only Beth Carton and Lorraine Bray playing well.

I noticed from the semi final that charging into an opponent results in a yellow card in camogie. In hurling that seems to be tolerated although I notice the throw like handpass is also a feature in camogie these days.

Tough day for players and fans but getting to an All Ireland final was a great achievement and gave a good feeling around the county the last few weeks of this rainy summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Awful day yesterday in Croker. Standard was awful and our setup and tactics were abysmal. Lads on the line looked lost at the best of times.

Before the game I was speaking to a former Waterford Senior hurler and he said this team was hammered a few weeks back by a local minor men's hurling team. I knew then that the game was up.

I think these girls deserve better and having to setup a gofundme page was a disgrace to get basic needs. The board should really hang their heads in shame at all levels and for the girls sake next year they need a change of management who will bring them to next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Rustyman101

First final since 1945 and now talk of the management team sacked ? Bit OTT.

It's generally been acknowledged this team has been on a upwards trajectory last few years.

Yes it was a whitewash yesterday this team are better than yesterday's display.

They would have beaten cork last year accept for the disgraceful decision to rescind ATs red card.

I don't know what happened to them yesterday definitely rabbit in the headlights

Maybe the croker effect maybe losing VF in the first 30 seconds knocked them out of shape. I don't know.

The quick fire goals were rinse and repeat alright maybe thats were VF was missed.

I agree with your comments on the CB 2 jokeshops on all levels.

Thanks to the team for a few great days out and prolonging the WD gaa season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I wouldn't put any importance on them being beaten by a male minor outfit. Even teenage boys have a massive physical advantage over adult females in speed and strength.

If that training session did go ahead then I wonder what the benefit was at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

The Ref yesterday gifted Cork a few handy frees in the first half. If Vikki Falconer didn't go off injured, that might have prevented a couple of goals.

That aside, Cork were in a different class, with the honourable exception of Beth Carton and Lorraine Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

That's my point, if it's true, then serious questions need to asked of the management

• Registered Users Posts: 9 unbeknownist

Debated whether I would make this point or not, however I felt it would have been mentioned if it was a men’s team. Cork team were way fitter and faster throughout. All their players were built quite athletically. We seemed to have a few players caught for pace, and that was exposed badly yesterday. The whole build up to the final seemed very reminiscent of 2008. Open training sessions and lots of promotions. There is an up and coming team with these ladies and hopefully they’ll have better days ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Seadin

Not having a go at you but That was hardly the difference now in fairness. The game was well over regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭914

What serious questions? That they got bet by a men's minor team?

That game was held a number of weeks before the semi final V Tipp, it might have even been before the Antrim game.

Tbf, men are more athletic so one would presume the idea was the girls would be under a lot of pressure and chasing the ball, which would you would presume was the idea behind that game.

As bad as it was yesterday, we should have had another 1-2 minimum on the board at half time, going in at half time 4 points down and you are in the game, going in 9 down and it's a struggle and looked like it was over, first 10 minutes of the second half were always going to be crucial.

We then missed the first score of the second half which was followed by a cork goal and we just lost the plot for the next ten minutes.

In fairness to the girls, despite the game being well and truly over, they kept fighting.

Unfortunately the day and the occassion probably got the better of them, poor passing decisions, nervous first touches and cork were flawless.

A good young panel, hopefully they can build on this. Doesn't sound like Sean Power will be at the helm next season so the next managerial appointment will be crucial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭siyo

Why do you say that Sean Power won't be in charge next year? Have you heard something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Oh you are back. I thought your account must have been suspended after your constant praising of Davy Fitz in the lead up to the Munster Championship. He certainly brought ye to another level. I am afraid most people on here know that you have a tendency to make things up, so hard to believe another one of your hard to believe stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭914

Purely basing it on his interviews, it's sounds like he felt/believed he would win the AI this year and doesn't sound like he will go again.

In fairness to him he might be waiting for the dust to settle before making his mind up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Don't think any coincidence Cork camogie team are much improved this year than last year without a certain coach

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Delighted to see the girls got a great turnout in Waterford today. They brightened up the summer for a lot of us.

Yesterday was a tough one, but they've a young panel so Id hope this is the beginning of something.

I do agree with a previous poster who highlighted Cork seemed fitter. They were faster and i think stronger all over the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

Any idea is Ephie Fitzgerald staying on as senior football manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

What good is it being a senior club when you haven't a snowballs chance in hell of winning anything. To tell lads you play 'senior' is it?

I would be very much in agreement with you. But yes. A lot of clubs take huge pride in their senior status, not just in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Clubs voted against having 8 teams in the hurling, voted for it in football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

until such time as the senior championship is competitive the number of senior clubs needs to be reduced to 8,

or if not, 10 with 2 groups of 5, with the top group seeded as Senior A and 4 to qualify for knock out and second group Senior B with 2 to qualify. The current system is farcical and serves no purpose only to damage the game in the county of nothing else

the premier intermediate competition actually has so much more appeal at the moment if they were to increase the number of teams in that, you have loads of ultra competitive games with a plenty of top county players on show to capture the public interest.

I don’t think clubs ever got the chance to vote for it at a meeting. It was possibly a topic raised on the player survey but I don’t think there was ever an official proposal to reduce the senior hurling championship to 8 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

I think there was ,why was football cut and not the hurling?, I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Could anyone tell me how many teams progress from their group in minor hurling? Ballygunner are unbeaten but only three points separate second and sixth in the table. One round of fixtures remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Top 4 play off for cup, bottom 4 play off for plate. BG have had 2 walkovers (roanmore & lismore) which is not good enough for minor A.

I think the report following the player survey recommended cutting football to 8 but keeping senior hurling at 12, or something to that effect. Proposal to cut football to 8 over a number of years was then brought to meeting on the back of that. I think it takes another 2 years to get senior football down to 8 teams, it’s 10 teams this year AFAIK.

Introducing the shield competition was a positive, it’s keep all clubs in the competition playing for something. However when teams are conceding games as they feel they are better off training than playing Ballygunner you have to worry, especially at the top level of the grade. There’s little the board can do to counteract that I think, clubs need to be stronger with management to play the games once you enter a division.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Last round of the group stages in the Senior and Premier Intermediate.

I know in the Senior its 4 knockout games between 2nd placed vs 3rd placed teams in the Preliminary QFs with the winners joining the 4 1st placed team in the QFs.

Ballygunner, Roanmore and DLS confirmed as Group winners with Grp B still undecided but a win or draw for Fourmilewater will get them top spot

Not sure of the structure of the Premier Intermediate

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterford champs will have to do it the hard way

For Ballygunner (if they win) will need to do it 3 times in Munster yet again to retain the title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Doesn't look right that Ballygunner should have to travel to Limerick two years in a row (assuming they are Waterford champions and then beat Cork representatives).

Advertisement