Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The latest CAA stats for May show that MAN hasn’t quite absorbed the big increase in capacity the A333 provides over the A321 versus the previous month but did see a decent increase in loads compared to the same time last year. The base has definitely found its feet this year but needs some flexibility in terms of fleet, the A330 is way too big for JFK in winter but it’s a case of needs must until additional narrow body capacity is available.

Business demand is undoubtably softer in Manchester than it is from Dublin but it’s workable, particularly strong on BGI.

Still heavily rumoured (locally at least) to see a new route next summer. It would require another based aircraft of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Why bother setting up in the UK to have one or two routes from there ?!

Well they don’t have much choice with the fleet they currently have.

It’s three routes, one seasonal. The original plan was for four including Boston which never materialised due to the delays in acquiring their UK AOC and the reopening of travel in Ireland taking precedence post-pandemic.

Boston seems to be on the back burner, at least until the XLR arrives. It’s Chicago that keeps getting mentioned around Manchester recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

If MSP is back next April as per yesterday's post (on here) then that's all the fleet utilized (except maybe a 3-times a week route ex-DUB), so expansion can't happen until 2025. I really hope they don't launch any more until they have some back-up flex or order something!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Economy does quite well out of Manchester, often overbooked but business class doesn’t do great… often single figures. They don’t have the fleet to expand anymore out of there and they even if they did would the aircraft make more in Dublin or Manchester ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭dublin12367

Chicago won’t get a route from Manchester as previous Aerlingus figures show a good size number of Manchester passengers feed into the Dublin Chicago service which a new route from MAN would have a negative effect on the DUB routes. I also don’t think EI have the flexibility currently to base another plan in Manchester and Dublin will be the priority if it comes to it.

I still stand by the opinion that it was a wrong move to base planes in Manchester full stop.

The same could be said about New York and they still launched it? In fact management have come out on more than one occasion to say that it was their own data which convinced them Manchester was a strong contender for a new transatlantic base. Passengers are usually willing to pay a premium to fly non-stop and Manchester was deemed a large enough source of demand to sustain itself without largely impacting the hub strategy at Dublin.

I think it all comes down to strategy, we all know the ‘DUB HUB’ has been the core focus of the business for a number of years now and the cynic in me would say the Manchester base was a pandemic stop gap they were already committed to by the time restrictions at home were lifted.

Looking at the bigger picture suggests there might be a bit more to it. Aer Lingus had built a strong presence in the north of England for its transatlantic services via Dublin, the airline has long had the desire to diversify its business, they would have had huge amounts of data, there was a gap in the market following Thomas Cook’s collapse, IAG were probably encouraging as it kept Virgin in check and had first move advantage over other potential new entrants like Norse, Play, JetBlue etc.

In terms of fleet flexibility, Aer Lingus is hardly one to shy away from second hand wide bodies. If a business case is there, aircraft will be sourced.

We’ve heard grumbling from Aer Lingus about facilities and capacity constraints at Dublin holding them back. Manchester, if it continues for the foreseeable, will always be a niche part of the business but it gives the airline some leverage and if it’s profitable I don’t see why it can’t be part of the overall success of the wider business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bocages75

Both Dublin and Manchester are profitable so why not expand out of both ?

there’s no shortage of 2nd hand wide body aircraft available for lease/purchase.

well within EI/IAG capabilities to run VS out of Manchester.

I don’t think they’ll ever attempt to run Virgin out of Manchester, nor would they be successful in doing so but having a decent transatlantic presence there keeps them under pressure and ensures VS/DL + Sky Team don’t get a major foothold in a key market.

The sooner Aer Lingus is properly integrated into the transatlantic joint venture the better, as of now it feels like it’s in name only but I believe from the winter schedule things start to be aligned more closely.

because an aircraft is a moveable asset and they have limited aircraft. So they will put it in the base / route that can offer the highest return. The same as they have done for a long time E.g Shannon/Cork vs Dublin etc

Post edited by Shamrockj on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Speaking of Aer Lingus routes, Denver has appeared on the website.Terminal Info page. Terminal 1 Concourse A.

MSP and DEN for 2024, possibly x4 and x3 weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Ei dem finally on its way home should have a great tan

EI-NSC also back in service today after a week on the ground.

Denver (and Minneapolis) removed from the airports list. Unusual error to make for an airline not known for keeping its website up to date!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭dublin12367

Would Denver have to be operated by a330 due to the range? A321 would satisfy MSP?

A321LR can’t reach MSP, at least not without unworkable weight restrictions. It’s why it ended up as an A332 for a short time after the last 757 was retired, then the pandemic arrived and the rest was history. The A321LR almost certainly can’t reach DEN in normal operations either, it’s a good bit further.

MSP would be an ideal candidate for the XLR, theoretically DEN could also be reached but in terms of real world ops, the A332 would remain the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

For my money, they should start leaning into SNN as a hub to get east coast US pax to LHR/AMS/CDG/BCN at a competitive price (lower LHR taxes/fees, SNN is cheaper & less congested than DUB so should feed into price), preclearance a big bonus too. I know they had plans for this pre COVID but definitely think a SNN hub could support at least 3 A321LRs, if not 4 of them if its marketed correctly - I'm always surprised at the amount of connecting traffic on EI119 for example.

Shannon will get a few people connecting but it will never be anywhere near the reach that Dublin has, it can’t compete in terms of routes and frequencies that are needed to make a hub work.

It's pity that FR feed collaboration that was mooted a few years back never came to fruition. A few first wave flights into SNN from EU/UK on FR (less likely to have delays) might have made a good feed for EIs US routes... SNN is quiet and small... Would have been a good test-and-see trial for low cost interlining.

Post edited by sherology on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Most know shannon would never have the reach of dublin but there is still some potential there for a small connection hub. It could help make space available for other long haul routes dublin might hope to attract. Will be interesting to see with the new Shannon Paris route next yeat will many use it for onwards bound to the states

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Lots of 2nd hand A330s with the "wrong" engines for Aer Lingus.

And the post here was based on a decent source on twitter. Rather than the completely baseless claim about a route to Doha a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

An example would be for EI to serve the former AA summer route to Philadelphia from SNN which AA don’t currently have the right aircraft for. An EI LR would be ideal and I suspect the season might stretch a little once folk this side of the Atlantic and this side of Ireland get used to using the good onward connections from PHL To be attractive to AA customers oneworld benefits would need to be added in to the mix (Sorry, bit of a broken record on this last point)

"As a hub to get US east coast passengers"

I'm not saying it should be come a hub a la DUB, but it certainly could become a base or hub of ops for transatlantic similar to what PLAY/Icelandair do in KEF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

EI use GE engines on their A330s, whereas I assume the ones coming off lease/available use Pratt & Whitney or Rolls Royce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

RR Trent 700 predominantly. Don't think P&Ws were as popular. DL and TK are the only ones I can think of that use P&Ws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Are there complexities in having the "wrong engine" beyond having to keep a different set of spares around the place?

Part of me wonders if there's a critical mass here. Maybe the 330s going out of MAN could be the other engine type for example.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Off the top of my head GE A330 airlines include Delta, Qantas, Turkish, China Airlines, KLM, Air France

they could possibly take some from KLM and Turkish when they are removed from their fleet

Now that QR is receiving a350s again, they may return to leasing out their a330s as they become surplus. Would be great if EI had time and notification before any new arrivals to order and retrofit the cabins prior to service entry, if expansion is planned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

As explained above.

The EI A330s use the least popular engine choice, (GE CF6) which restricts the available pool of appropriate 2nd hand airframes. (Last three 2nd hand additions have come from Qatar) They could of course make the decision to accept the extra cost of different engined A330s. I don't know at what point economy of scale overcomes this dual engine cost.

As an aside, the A330neo only comes with the RR Trent 7000, so its a pill that EI will have to swallow at some point*. (unless a 2nd option has been added since launch?)

*based on my assumption that the A330neo is the automatic choice for widebody fleet renewal.

Advertisement