Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Davy always gives it everything, on the development squads he was always on the B team while a lot of the stars were on the A team not much sign of the stars now same as at club level too much made of the stars everything has to go through the top men, but the top men will more often than not let you down where as the hard grafter will always give you a 100% Davy would be in his mid twenty’s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I wonder should we be concentrating on the B squads and ignore the A squads altogether so!!!!

Ah well you know what I mean but clubs also make bad investments in people who don’t give anything and ignore the grafters who you will have for life. And actually I heard this year that on one of the squads there should be 4 off of the A’s onto the B’s and vice versa club loyalty etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Think David played U20 for Kilkenny in 2021 so only 22/23, has been very good for OLG at corner back the last few years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I think Fogarty was U21 last year, he played against the village last year from what I remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

Get him in and lads like Tom Kenny and other young lads sticking out for clubs in there. Cant tolerate another year of 6/7 over 30s who are not good enough and Kilkenny have not won an all ireland since 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I'm only trying to make the point that more than ever we need new blood pushed to properly compete for places on the county panel. Need to be picking lads based on club performances. Also intermediate and junior shouldn't be overlooked.

Can some posters not acknowledge that Lyng already carried a large panel of players, mostly very young, during the year. I expect it's with a view to having replacements already in place for the expected retirement of the older players. Lyng wasn't in a position to be without those experienced players this year but should be better equipped next year.

Fair play to those older players for sticking around and contribute in getting us to three finals this year. I don't think we'd have done as well as we did had Lyng dropped them all.

Next year is Lyng's opportunity to put his own stamp on the panel. I fully expect he will as he's already begun that process.

Post edited by Grats on

Well said Grats

Ye I’d agree with that grats. He was kinda compelled to show a bit of loyalty to the older guys . Next year should be different but he will have to be given patience and time,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

Nothing against him and to say he had a good game yesterday he was very poor

You say what I have against mossy what have you got against Sheehan

in my option and all the commentary and what I saw Sheehan is so far in front of mossy both in scoring and in distribution again mossy made a couple of attempts to pass the ball and failed miserably

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Ive nothing at all against Sheehan. In fact i would be a big admirer of his. Probably lacking a bit of physicality on the inter county scene but i was disappointed to see him move off the main panel. Mossy was the only forward that stood out against OLG.

Id rather have Sheehan brought on v Limerick in the AI rather than Alan Murphy, his pace in Croke Park would cause any team issues

I was at the Walsh cup match last January in Rathdowney . Bill Sheehan was played but was replaced early.really as a poster alluded to earlier it’s like sending an Olympic 100m sprinter to the world crosscountry championships it’s just not going to work out. Common sense should prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

Outside of lads already on the panel:

Eoin O'Shea - O'Loughlins

David Fogarty - O'Loughlins

Liam Moore - Dicksboro

Tom Kenny - Dicksboro

Brian Cody - St Martins

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Anyone at the dunnamaggan carrickshock match? Could a couple of the lads off.the u20s make the grade?.only saw him a couple of times but like the look of denis Walsh...Joe fitzpatrick a big unit but not sure has he the pace required

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

What's the likelihood of Liam Moore either being called up or accepting a call up? He didn't make himself available to play at U20 the last few years, is it that he's not interested in playing intercounty or is it that Lyng (who would have been over U20 at the time) doesn't rate him? Not trying to be critical or either Moore or Lyng just wondering is it likely he may make himself available as he definitely has the talent for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Liam dropped himself in 2022 from the U20 panel and from what I know it was for a genuine reason and that was accepted by Derek. I don't think he was eligible for U20 last year. I'd say Derek would love a full fit and ready Liam Moore as he has the physique and the hurling to be a top intercounty player. From what I've heard from the club he has made a serious effort to get into shape for this year, having seen him Saturday he might not be all the way there yet but is streets ahead of last year.

He was not at the races in 2021 or 2022 for the Boro. He was excellent in 2020 when he was only 18 for the club but it's not always a straight path. If Liam has a strong year with the Boro I would assume he'd get a call from Derek, does he have ambition to hurl at that level, I have no idea, I'd love to think so from a Boro point of view. If he does and he gets fit he would be a serious addition to a Kilkenny half or inside forward line and with enough conditioning could turn into a midfield force. Only he can answer the question of ambition to play at that level but I'd be happy if he continues to score 2 goals everyday for the Boro to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jumpers84

Denis Walsh had a decent match considering his injury issues over the last while. Joe Fitzpatrick had a solid enough game also. Victor Costello at full back and John Fitzpatrick at full forward were the stand out players for Dunnamaggin, Eoghan O'Neill was impressive for Carrickshock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think Bill Sheehan would be a useful sub to have. He brings pace to the attack which we lack. However, we need to feed him with good ball, there is no point in lumping high ball on top of him.

I thought Tommy Walsh was poor enough in distributing the ball from short puckouts and gave away the ball 3 times

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jamesbond2022

I think lads reputations seem to enhanced on here when they aren’t on the kk senior panel or drop themselves off a training panel or decline a call the reality is j Walsh b Sheehan s Walsh and few others that lads are banging the drum for on here have been given chances and tried and weren’t deemed good enough and never will be imo

People forget that young lads nowadays have so many other interests and things going on and the lure of representing your county and the inter-county lifestyle is just not for them and there happy to just give there club 100%

Unfortunately James Bond there’s a fair lot of truth in that but I think Bill Sheehan would be dedicated but you need your chances not on boggy ground where a lesser hurler would thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Add Chris Bolger and L Blanchfield and r leahy to that list also

While Sheehan has great pace and has bulked up I think his size and one sidedness will always come against him at inter county level

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

While I'll admit Sheehan is one sided you could say the same about a lot of county players.

Well he seems to be striking the ball better than he was the last few years.

Three of those, Kenny, O'Shea and Moore, were invited on the panel or left it at some stage. They may have a rethink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

It's strange how the whole Kilkenny hurling scene seems somewhat down. Lethargic almost. It's not like the Kilkenny I know. Guys not making themselves available for Lyng and the support at the final was poor. What's going on?

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

I'm aware of that but the poster asked us to pick out the lads who stood out at the weekend. From the games I was at, those were the best players outside of those already on the panel.

• Advertisement

I agree with this post. The intercounty is so shut off now and ran off so quick that it is hard to analysis a match or build up to the next match. I do not like that there is no club matches during the inter county scene now at all. Hard to see what lads are hurling well and not going to watch them hurl at club level during the year does not help and the club is run off like a blitz now so it is hard to keep on top of that too. Another factor that does not help is that the minor is now u17, when it was previously u18 and most of the players would be involved with adult club teams for a year or into there 2nd year at this stage and most hurling folk would know these hurlers well. I fully agree with PeggyShippen, does not feel the same at all.

I suppose Intercounty management down through the years is a big part of the problem now. Over protection of players( highly advised not to play for club and media bans) has played a big part in this.

Advertisement