Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Davy always gives it everything, on the development squads he was always on the B team while a lot of the stars were on the A team not much sign of the stars now same as at club level too much made of the stars everything has to go through the top men, but the top men will more often than not let you down where as the hard grafter will always give you a 100% Davy would be in his mid twenty’s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I wonder should we be concentrating on the B squads and ignore the A squads altogether so!!!!

Ah well you know what I mean but clubs also make bad investments in people who don’t give anything and ignore the grafters who you will have for life. And actually I heard this year that on one of the squads there should be 4 off of the A’s onto the B’s and vice versa club loyalty etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Think David played U20 for Kilkenny in 2021 so only 22/23, has been very good for OLG at corner back the last few years too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I think Fogarty was U21 last year, he played against the village last year from what I remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Village87

Get him in and lads like Tom Kenny and other young lads sticking out for clubs in there. Cant tolerate another year of 6/7 over 30s who are not good enough and Kilkenny have not won an all ireland since 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I'm only trying to make the point that more than ever we need new blood pushed to properly compete for places on the county panel. Need to be picking lads based on club performances. Also intermediate and junior shouldn't be overlooked.

Can some posters not acknowledge that Lyng already carried a large panel of players, mostly very young, during the year. I expect it's with a view to having replacements already in place for the expected retirement of the older players. Lyng wasn't in a position to be without those experienced players this year but should be better equipped next year.

Fair play to those older players for sticking around and contribute in getting us to three finals this year. I don't think we'd have done as well as we did had Lyng dropped them all.

Next year is Lyng's opportunity to put his own stamp on the panel. I fully expect he will as he's already begun that process.

Post edited by Grats on

Well said Grats

Ye I’d agree with that grats. He was kinda compelled to show a bit of loyalty to the older guys . Next year should be different but he will have to be given patience and time,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

Nothing against him and to say he had a good game yesterday he was very poor

You say what I have against mossy what have you got against Sheehan

in my option and all the commentary and what I saw Sheehan is so far in front of mossy both in scoring and in distribution again mossy made a couple of attempts to pass the ball and failed miserably

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Ive nothing at all against Sheehan. In fact i would be a big admirer of his. Probably lacking a bit of physicality on the inter county scene but i was disappointed to see him move off the main panel. Mossy was the only forward that stood out against OLG.

Id rather have Sheehan brought on v Limerick in the AI rather than Alan Murphy, his pace in Croke Park would cause any team issues

I was at the Walsh cup match last January in Rathdowney . Bill Sheehan was played but was replaced early.really as a poster alluded to earlier it’s like sending an Olympic 100m sprinter to the world crosscountry championships it’s just not going to work out. Common sense should prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭KK36

Outside of lads already on the panel:

Eoin O'Shea - O'Loughlins

David Fogarty - O'Loughlins

Liam Moore - Dicksboro

Tom Kenny - Dicksboro

Brian Cody - St Martins

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Anyone at the dunnamaggan carrickshock match? Could a couple of the lads off.the u20s make the grade?.only saw him a couple of times but like the look of denis Walsh...Joe fitzpatrick a big unit but not sure has he the pace required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

What's the likelihood of Liam Moore either being called up or accepting a call up? He didn't make himself available to play at U20 the last few years, is it that he's not interested in playing intercounty or is it that Lyng (who would have been over U20 at the time) doesn't rate him? Not trying to be critical or either Moore or Lyng just wondering is it likely he may make himself available as he definitely has the talent for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Liam dropped himself in 2022 from the U20 panel and from what I know it was for a genuine reason and that was accepted by Derek. I don't think he was eligible for U20 last year. I'd say Derek would love a full fit and ready Liam Moore as he has the physique and the hurling to be a top intercounty player. From what I've heard from the club he has made a serious effort to get into shape for this year, having seen him Saturday he might not be all the way there yet but is streets ahead of last year.

He was not at the races in 2021 or 2022 for the Boro. He was excellent in 2020 when he was only 18 for the club but it's not always a straight path. If Liam has a strong year with the Boro I would assume he'd get a call from Derek, does he have ambition to hurl at that level, I have no idea, I'd love to think so from a Boro point of view. If he does and he gets fit he would be a serious addition to a Kilkenny half or inside forward line and with enough conditioning could turn into a midfield force. Only he can answer the question of ambition to play at that level but I'd be happy if he continues to score 2 goals everyday for the Boro to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jumpers84

Denis Walsh had a decent match considering his injury issues over the last while. Joe Fitzpatrick had a solid enough game also. Victor Costello at full back and John Fitzpatrick at full forward were the stand out players for Dunnamaggin, Eoghan O'Neill was impressive for Carrickshock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think Bill Sheehan would be a useful sub to have. He brings pace to the attack which we lack. However, we need to feed him with good ball, there is no point in lumping high ball on top of him.

I thought Tommy Walsh was poor enough in distributing the ball from short puckouts and gave away the ball 3 times

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jamesbond2022

I think lads reputations seem to enhanced on here when they aren’t on the kk senior panel or drop themselves off a training panel or decline a call the reality is j Walsh b Sheehan s Walsh and few others that lads are banging the drum for on here have been given chances and tried and weren’t deemed good enough and never will be imo

People forget that young lads nowadays have so many other interests and things going on and the lure of representing your county and the inter-county lifestyle is just not for them and there happy to just give there club 100%

Unfortunately James Bond there’s a fair lot of truth in that but I think Bill Sheehan would be dedicated but you need your chances not on boggy ground where a lesser hurler would thrive.

Add Chris Bolger and L Blanchfield and r leahy to that list also

While Sheehan has great pace and has bulked up I think his size and one sidedness will always come against him at inter county level

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭kentu

While I'll admit Sheehan is one sided you could say the same about a lot of county players.

Well he seems to be striking the ball better than he was the last few years.

Three of those, Kenny, O'Shea and Moore, were invited on the panel or left it at some stage. They may have a rethink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

It's strange how the whole Kilkenny hurling scene seems somewhat down. Lethargic almost. It's not like the Kilkenny I know. Guys not making themselves available for Lyng and the support at the final was poor. What's going on?

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭KK36

I'm aware of that but the poster asked us to pick out the lads who stood out at the weekend. From the games I was at, those were the best players outside of those already on the panel.

• Advertisement

I agree with this post. The intercounty is so shut off now and ran off so quick that it is hard to analysis a match or build up to the next match. I do not like that there is no club matches during the inter county scene now at all. Hard to see what lads are hurling well and not going to watch them hurl at club level during the year does not help and the club is run off like a blitz now so it is hard to keep on top of that too. Another factor that does not help is that the minor is now u17, when it was previously u18 and most of the players would be involved with adult club teams for a year or into there 2nd year at this stage and most hurling folk would know these hurlers well. I fully agree with PeggyShippen, does not feel the same at all.

I suppose Intercounty management down through the years is a big part of the problem now. Over protection of players( highly advised not to play for club and media bans) has played a big part in this.

And that's why I stated, rethink by the players you identified.

As regards to the support for the All Ireland that was a big crowd for us, at max. We would have 15,000 at an all Ireland we would always be outnumbered, even counties with smaller populations would outnumber us,lots of people in this county consider themselves great hurling supporters when they follow the few championship matches on the telly. The crowds at the homecoming proves this. On the players for intercontinental issue it’s only a discussion to see what we could come up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭tibruit

It all depends on what you base that view on. I can`t speak for fellas not making themselves available, but the impression I have is that the players like Lyng but that`s only half the battle. The great managers tend to rule with a combination of likeability and an iron fist which in turn engenders respect. They always picked a fight in the camp that only they were ever going to win. Cody did it, Alex Ferguson and Jack Charlton did it too.

If your view is based on what you have read dipping into this thread, well I wouldn`t pay much attention to that either. There`s a few regulars here who have for years been agitating for Brian Cody to step down. This was supposed to herald a new brand of man management, of smarter hurling and renewed successes.

Unfortunately, whatever way you look at it, and it is a results business after all , but we have taken a big step back from where we were at this point last year and there has been no renewal. It has been comical at times reading some of the commentary here about how Lyng was right to keep the old stagers on the panel when it was as obvious as the day is long that what we needed after Deegan`s goal was young, fast legs to either get us onto breaking ball or close down the opponent in possession.

He didn`t take his opportunity to make a clean sweep and now we are a year behind where we should be. There are bullets that need to be bitten this winter and probably a difficult campaign to be endured with a young team next year. Supporters might have been more forgiving if all that had happened this year.

He still has to much of camogie swing for inter county hurling imo

Watched him in the Walsh cup this year took way to much out of the ball on a few occasions to try get onto his stronger side

I heard Michael Fennelly was going through a program with all the various development squads in Nowlan park this week, it covers a full day for each age group about health skills tactical play etc.seems to be the way to go. We have to start somewhere hopefully this is the start and if things go well success starts quickly enough from the bottom up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Weekend fixtures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Thanks guys especially 'Tibruit'. I get what your saying about 'carrot and stick' . Probably abit old school. Kiely is tough but he's an awful lot more carrot than Cody ever was. Bug of course he has natural born Killers in the likes of Hayes, Byrnes , O Donoghue...doesn't need to get the aggression cranked up. It's on 90 % already and the likes of Flanagan, Finn , Mike Casey...are good and tough.

I'd build a team around Cody up front and Mullins centre back. Reid nor Blanchfield nor Carey are centre backs...Blanchfield is too light for me for the centre. Good player though. Reid..too small and weak.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

If its adrian mullin you are talking about I couldn't disagree more..he is probably our second best forward..I can just about tolerate him in midfield where he can still.pick off a few scores but putting him at 6 makes no sense to me..for me he needs to be at 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

You wouldn’t say Blanchfield was too light if you met him in person…. he looks light from a distance because of his height. He’s actually quite a big lad physically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Blanch was too light last year and is still getting to where he needs to be but he was clearly stronger this year. One thing is for sure, his absence was felt in the final (although that was compounded by the decision to replace him with a forward, which meant his absence caused way more disruption than it needed to)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭biglad40

Nobody has greater stadium support numbers than cork and limerick on a regular basis and that includes the dubs. Mayo have a following but no where near limericks or corks. Limerick had 40 k for their home round robin games. They put 75 k in to cp when cork and limerick met in an Ireland semi 2018

We have a steady 5k support for league matches and often outnumbered the home support but recently these numbers have dwindled.

Thanks for that Robwen I was half right, that’s all looking good anyway and i would certainly count that as progress and a sign that the powers that be are finally after realising we have a problem.

Blanchfield is more or less the same height and weight as Diramuid Byrne’s so nothing wrong with him physically for sure.

No doubt he was a huge loss in the final and starting Wally meant three lines on the team had to be changed which in hindsight was a huge mistake.

Plus, we lost the opportunity to spring Wally from the bench as we had been doing.

Yeah we actually made three lines on the pitch and our bench weaker with one move. Corcoran , Buckley or Walsh should have started at 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Tullaroan boys must've been reading the thread after last weekend....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

• Advertisement
Advertisement