Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DMC is kingdom hearts levels of cheese but KH plays it straight and comes off stupid while DMC plays it for laughs.

DMC is a perfect example of why games really don't need a story. It's fun and that's all it really needs to be. Story helps but in the car of DMC it's just there to lead you from one ridiculous set piece to another. And really that's all it needs to be.

I mean no game needs to do anymore that this to have a great story that tugs at the heart strings:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah, there's are different types and levels of cheese. DMC are more like Cheesestrings. It's cheese, but rather than trying to present itself all serious and elegant on a charcuterie board, it knows it's just cheese, presents itself in a silly way and it has a fun mascot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

As the old adage goes: it ain't easy being cheesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,957 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can't stand that level of cheese in anything! Pure cringe. Pure muck imo. And I disagree games don't need stories. Otherwise just present it as a series of levels and challenges. But, each to their own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Juggling enemies with dual handguns to extend combos > sad dad story with Poundland HBO level writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,957 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And here's another example of something we will never agree on!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Weapons grade pettiness. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,792 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Oh man that is brilliant!! As a huge Jordan fan, I loved the Pistons and Bulls rivalry, much different game back then, games got very ugly. The fact that a dev fixed their matches in nba jam is hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I posted about a week or two ago that I was 15 hours into Satisfactory. That's now 67.4 hours 😅.

What an amazing game. Near perfect game design. Just dropped onto a planet with a 2 min intro and left off.

It's not a survival game, more an automation one. But similar premise. You land on a planet and have to start finding raw materials that can be used to make things.

You start with hand chiseling iron ore from the ground. You can then use your craft bench to turn that into Iron ingots. Which can be turned into iron plates or rods, and the rods can be further turned into screws.

Then you can make stuff from those parts that can be used to automate the process.

First you craft a miner to speed up the digging. Then you unlock smelters that will turn ore into ingots for you. A constructor that turns ingots into iron plates or rods etc.

You slowly start finding other materials. Copper for wiring, limestone for concrete. Coal power !

Items start getting more complex and need multiple parts, that take multiple stages to manufacture all linked with conveyor belts.

Then the trick is to balance the rates they produce the parts so you don't end up with bottlenecks or inefficient lines.

You pretty quickly end up with these huge factories that have items mined, shipped, stored, processed and turned into ever more complex items.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Is anybody familiar with the Company of Heroes games? I would like to try something new.

• Advertisement

I've played a bit of them. Highly regarded by RTS fans and meant to be excellent. Also made by the devs that made Homeworld. Don't think you can go wrong with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Familiar aye, what you thinking? They're great RTS games - both of the base building and real time tactics variety. Haven't played number 3 yet but the first remains the most lauded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Currently back playing The Witcher 3 blood and wine DLC. I forgot how good this game is as I got side tracked with other games. I was doing the bank mission in the city and it's nearly like in real life

waiting and going being told you need such a form and then being told you need another. I even got into a fight over jumping the que and then getting locked in with guards.

I loved the first one. Played it endlessly. Follow up never quite hit the same highs for me but I did enjoy parts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Also, as a long-time RTS fan, I really appreciated that CoH1 was AFAIK the first major game in the genre to lean into the idea of "turtling" - hyper-defensive play where you build an impenetrable base but with minimal mobile forces - and made it the entire pivot around a faction (the British); the howls of frustration from online players as I just sat behind my artillery as they endlessly bashed against me was delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭McFly85

Finally finished Tears of the Kingdom. Enjoyed pretty much every second of it!

Would probably only change a couple of things if I could, and they’re minor annoyances in the grand scheme of things.

I would like to be able to fuse within a menu instead of having to find the thing, drop it, and then get the fuse menu out and fuse. An extra couple of buttons for fuse to sword or fuse to shield would make the whole process more straightforward, considering it’s used so regularly.

Cooking! When a recipe is discovered it should be added to a list and I should be able to see all that I have the ingredients for to automatically cook without having to check the recipe, then check to see if I have the ingredients.

And finding rare upgrade materials can be a complete pain, even the sensor+ isn’t that useful. Even if they added a highlight to the map as to the area where the enemies you’re looking for had been encountered would save a lot of hassle.

But yeah, minor stuff, easily the game of the year so far.

Baldur's Gate 3 looks like a contender as well and we have Armoured Core 6 on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭McFly85

Have both preordered, was making it a priority to finish TotK before Armoured Core comes out.

Never played an Armoured Core game before, but FromSoftware have nailed the mechanics in all of their other games I’ve played so while I expect it to be entirely different I still think it’ll be challenging and fun to play.

Baldurs Gate 3 looks brilliant and will likely take me months to get through! I was thinking of getting it now for the steam deck but presumably it will run much better on the PS5.

It's very quiet around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Was thinking how one person could start a video game company in Belgium ... that would eventually create a game of the quality of Baldur's Gate 3. Not the US, UK or Japan ... Belgium. I think all the Irish innovators and developers went into business Zzz apps. It's a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭quokula

Larian actually have a studio in Dublin, though I'm not sure exactly what it's responsible for. But looking at them as an example is really survivorship bias. For everyone who starts a games company that goes on to make a success like that, hundreds try and fail. It took them 25 years to get where they are too, with a journey that was often fraught and by no means certain.

Any company with a 'headquarters' in Dublin = Tax avoidance.

The Irish game development courses are unfortunately came about relatively recently and during the mobile game boom so that's what they focused on unfortunately. There was also a lot of snobbery from a certain professor in DIT that treated the game design students like **** while focusing on Apps. Ireland is just way, way behind the likes of the UK due to Ireland of course being late to the party, not introducing coding to schools, not introducing tax breaks to the industry before the UK.

There is however plenty of opportunity to start a games company. Almost did so myself until I got sucked back into science, always wonder if I should have started one. There's funding out there if you can go begging investors and lots of college graduates that a hungry to do something interesting. I did notice a lot of the games companies here were run by animators. They seem to have more drive to start their own business but don't really understand the industry which is usually their downside. It's worth going to an Irish game jam or indie showcase, there's some good projects, just too few get made. And you are almost guaranteed to meet John Romero who is a great supporter of irish devs.

There is however plenty of opportunity to start a games company. Almost did so myself until I got sucked back into science, always wonder if I should have started one

Oh, intriguing; do you have a game idea / core gameplay loop that might have acted as a launchpad? Whilst I dabbled with an idea in my spare time it never got to the extent I wondered about trying it full-time tho'

Lots of ideas narrowed down to two that would have been feasible. I wasn't going to buck the trend with mine but one idea was a ninja gaiden/strider/hagane type 2D platformer with tonne's of bosses like a Treasure game. Would have had a dodge mechanic with i-frames. Tried to make it in my spare time but ran out of steam when I finished a vector based collision engine because you really can't make a game while doing another job, got severely burned out. Of course since then others have made games with my ideas so it's now totally unoriginal. The dodge mechanic would have been the same what a lot of indie platformers do. Cyber Shadow and Vengeful Guardian Moonrider was the type of game I was going for about 10 years ago.

The other was a rail shooter but using 2D sprites. Got as far as getting an engine in Gamemaker with scaled sprites and positions and orientation accurate and movement to their movements in 3D space. Not seen anything like this attempted but there's been a few starfox clones. It would have been like Galaxy Force 2 mixed with Panzer Dragoon.

I wasn't exactly making anything with groundbreaking mechanics like a Braid or Portal more making the games I wanted to play.

Whatever you think about mobile games as a consumer, they are a more sensible career path than the traditional games industry in terms of salaries, opportunities and working conditions.

There's a massive amount of money still to be made but making a successful mobile game is now out of reach of the small indie Dev teams in Ireland. You can't make a successful app or game anymore with a tema of 10 or less.

There's way too much money and budgets involved. Most mobile games companies put out a huge number of games the majority of which will fail but they only need one to catch on and make them millions. I suppose you could get a job that is relatively secure working for one of the big successful mobile game publishers but it's hardly rewarding.

There's nothing but support studios in Ireland and not triple A teams. Best we can do are small indie Devs and I don't think these Devs really stand a chance of having a breakout mobile hit. I think they would be better served making a good indie game.

And as someone that worked in the mobile games dev environment, creating a mobile game is just as grueling as any other game dev project. Supporting a successful game might be a bit different.

The best we can do isn't small Indie devs. The best we can do is the likes of Digit Game Studios and Vela Games, they just don't fit into either pigeonhole of traditional AAA or Indie Dev. And we have major services like Demonware and Havok that are now subsidiaries of major publishers. And cross border remote working is more and more common, you can get work for many studios across Europe without leaving the country these days.

Universities should absolutely be arming people with the skills to apply for jobs at these sorts of studios, not with crazy notions of starting their own studio straight out of college. Sure, there will always be particularly gifted entrepreneurial types who may break the mould, but for the majority they'll need to get industry experience and make contacts first and the education system should cater to that.

Romero Games is prob the biggest here as a studio with an office making a big game.

Work from home has meant there is no need for a "studio" in Ireland. And most big games are built in multiple countries anyway. There are loads of people working at high levels on big AAA games that are here. So it's very much a possibility.

The main issue people coming from college face is they don't have experience. Which is why you need to small start ups to learn the craft at low cost when they fail.

I was looking at my Playstation trophy list, and the very first game I played on my PS4 Slim (my first Playstation) was Sniper Elite 3, purchased on the Playstation Store.

The second one I played was a physical copy of The Order: 1886.

So the first game on the first Playstation I played was a digital purchase.

• Advertisement

I started playing A Plague Tale: Requiem in the early hours of the morning. I am dying quite a lot.

Advertisement