Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enterprise Ireland Pre-seed Startup Fund

Options
  • 05-08-2023 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Has anyone previously applied for the Enterprise Ireland Pre-seed Startup Fund? If so, how did you find the whole process? Were you successful? If so, how did you find working with EI as a partner? If you were unsuccessful, where do you think you went wrong? Any and all advice/insights appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Lauras Law

Also reading about the application process, it says any funding received through the Pre-seed Startup Fund cannot be used for sales or marketing. Anyone know why that is? Even at pre-seed stage companies need to invest in sales and marketing if they’ve a product ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I would assume, as it’s pre-seed, it’s for starting up the business costs only. Legal/finance/product development etc.

Yeah I assume you’re right, it just doesn’t make sense IMO! It’s hardly uncommon for pre-seed companies to be marketing/selling. Anyways I’ll end up derailing my own thread if I continue! But hopefully there are some people here that’ll be able to share experiences of the Pre-seed Startup Fund.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Pre-seed is pre-seed. It makes perfect sense not to shovel money out to people who have an idea and not much else. In the US they say 'Skin in the game!". Here we say "Put some money where your mouth is!" Where do you think the cash comes from? Why do you think you are entitled to it?

• Advertisement

I’m not sure what part of my posts you are replying to?

Pick any part. Did you not read the Scheme’s details?

It’s not for ‘starting up ‘ – the applicant must have made progress and at least have a very viable product/service and business plan already,  The funds are for bring a venture to the next stage i.e. getting it ready for outside investment by boosting its ‘package’ – think of a mini IPO. Marketing actually  is covered (e.g. market research, travel) but not marketing’s direct costs. Certain fees also are capped.

The amounts advanced  are €50k or €100k and are issued as CLN’s (think of preference shares with some disadvantages).

The applicant must also match the investment on a minimum of a 1:10 basis – for obvious reasons and to make the BS look better after the CLNs.  There is a big ‘time’ investment by EI in this if successful so the applicant and proposal need to be professional, otherwise they get turned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If you did the ‘New Frontiers’ programmes it’s the perfect next step

Likewise I’d make use of your LEO’s Priming Grant before going for Pre-Seed fund

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

I did a workshop for the pssf a while back. I never pursued it any further. While I remember them going through the convertible loan note and terms, I don't remember anything about the applicant having to match the investment on a minimum of a 1:10 basis. Maybe this is something new or just wasnt covered in the workshop I attended...

Post edited by Brendan Flowers on

• Advertisement

Of course I read the scheme details. But again, it’s still not clear to me what part of my post you were replying to. Even when I asked for clarity you couldn’t give me a straight answer. Your replies actually seem like they could’ve been posted by an AI chatbot, in that it seemed to pick out a few keywords from my posts and composed replies without actually understanding the context of what I was asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I can assure you OP, Mick Tator can be a lot of things but artificially intelligent is not one of them. 😝

Perhaps if your posts were less confrontational and more intelligent than artificial your points might be clearer? My questions are pussycat compared to what you would be asked by EI. You have given zero details about your business. You have not stated that you meet the application criteria, or even that you have participated in New Frontiers, Local Enterprise Office (LEO) or Enterprise Ireland programs.  Zilch.

Instead you query EI’s approach before you even start. For example, you wrote ‘….it says any funding received through the Pre-seed Startup Fund cannot be used for sales or marketing. Anyone know why that is? Even at pre-seed stage companies need to invest in sales and marketing if they’ve a product ready.’

You’ve been told by several what the Fund is for but you either have failed to grasp that or do not want to. It’s not a development loan to fund market growth, it’s to help bring an ‘oven-ready’ company to the next level, with cash, advice, resources and mentoring. If you read the Fund details with an open mind and not an agenda you would see its purpose is very clear. From the EI site-

‘The fund is designed to enable companies cover operational costs to undertake key tasks including the development of a market ready product/solution, product testing in the marketplace, and building critical skillsets within the start-up team. The Pre-Seed Start Fund will support early-stage companies to reach key technical and commercial milestones required to attract future Seed Funding within 6 – 18 months..’

There’s your answer, again.

@ Gloomster – 😁 I can be artificially intelligent sometimes but only when writing on cruise control!

Advertisement