Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Not paying tax?

About 9% of irelands total tax revenue come from just 10 companies.

No point blaming MNCs or Chinese and Indian buyers. They're just the symptoms of the housing crisis.

The cause is a decade of mismanagement and under development from the government. FFG are patting themselves on the back when they get HALF the recommended houses built per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Yet me as a public servant, pays marginal tax at 62.5%, which equates to an overall tax rate of 39.7% of my gross earnings (after alot of overtime) of €92,000, YET MNC's pay an effective tax rate in Ireland of LESS THAN 1%, after their tax-haven right-offs, and as has been seen lately, do not even have to pay for the electricity supplied to their Data Centers,

Go figure!

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

Most employees in multinational corporations (MNCs) typically pay more taxes than public servants. However, it is true that many MNCs don't pay their fair share of taxes, just like other businesses. They can take advantage of various write-offs, which can be quite significant. For example, landlords who rent out properties can write off a significant portion of their interest payments. Additionally, many Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) pay no taxes by ensuring that 90% of their profits go to shareholders, many of whom are based outside Ireland. Due to double taxation laws, these shareholders don't have to pay taxes here.

Regarding your statement, it is interesting to note that as a public servant, your employer (the government) doesn't pay taxes. Instead, it is funded by taxes, including those paid by yourself, MNC employees and corporation tax (which also includes what little tax an MNC pays) etc. So, if these entities didn't contribute the percentage of tax they currently do, which adds up to a significant amount, it would impact the availability of public servant jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I had a chat on Friday with a Chinese colleague. I asked him about all the Chinese people buying property here now and his answers were interesting to say the least.

He himself has been "engaged" by several different relatives and friends to find them houses to buy in Ireland and has been going to viewings and making bids himself for them. He has been successful with 3 of them in the last year, and still has more to do. He has engaged a solicitor here to do the rest for them once he finds them a suitable house. That solicitor told him that there a lot of Chinese people in Ireland now "specializing" in finding houses for Chinese people to invest their money in Ireland. Some of them are even making a good living out of it and charging a fee for their services.

None of them are coming to live here. Its just a way to get money out of China for them. Apparently Irish and UK property is one of the go to ways of doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

We had 11 viewings in total for our house before going sale agreed. 4 couples were Irish the rest were international. 3 Indian couples, 1 Italian, 2 South African and 1 couple from Spain. There’s a lot of foreign nationals now living here renting and wanting to have a future so are buying houses when they fall within their price range. We went sake agreed with a lovely middle aged South African couple and their two dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

We are not talking about the international couples who live here and spend their salary here, of course they need to buy a home. We are talking about Chinese investors who have no ties with Ireland and are buying only to profit from rent money, they don't even pay tax like any landlords who live here. Ireland is a small island and it's tax payers should be put first before Chinese investors, we don't care about how they want to make money, push them out back to China and invest in their country.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is pretty much what they do in Vancouver, and it has made that market insane. It is more on the nose though, lots of super fancy cars and stores (Prada, Gucci etc) that cater to them being there.

2 blocks from my house, there is a penthouse suite for sale for around the $27 million mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭KLF

Keep thinking I've clicked into the Property Market thread with all the talk of Chinese buyers

You think a thread about buying/selling/bidding etc isnt about the property market.

• Advertisement

No, but the last two pages about Chinese buyers, MNCs, and taxes do not fall under "Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going?" The mod note in post 1 literally says to use the general property thread for that sort of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You can always report any posts you feel aren't on topic.

Have you any stories from your own house hunting endeavours?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 EchoEmber

In the final stretch here, we are going with BOI for our mortgage. With regards to Home insurance, will the home insurance proposal form be sufficient for them to review ? We just need to sign and send it back to FBD for the policy to come into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

They usually need to see the policy schedule and that is all. Nothing else normally suffices. They need to know the insurance will be in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

The policy schedule and you also have to make sure that Bank of Ireland mortgages 40 Mespil road, Dublin 4 are listed as a third party on the policy. If it not it will delay your drawdown and it must be Bank of Ireland Mortgages

best of luck

And people are decribing having to bid against and being outbid by chinese buyers and MNCs.

That would come under "Currenty buying", "Selling" and "Hows it going?" would it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mykrodot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭crisco10

I literally just checked this morning and my Loan Offer explicitly has Bank of Ireland, 40 Mespil Road... (i.e. no "mortgages") as the party offering the loan and hence interested in the insurance policy. So it appears that its not crystal clear, or at least it depends on the particular loan offer.

Desperately trying to get in before 24th, but in a chain so so much can go wrong, I won't believe it until I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

This is our experience. Whenever we view a half-decent property, they are on our tail, no doubt the ones constantly out-bidding us.

We are frankly sick to the teeth of it.

Bidded on a house where asking price was 480000. The bidding now stands at 530000. Others there were non-nationals.

Government need to to do something about this, it should not be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

I understand the frustration, but how do you know their situation? They may be living here 20 years and Irish citizens, they may be rich and coming from China to invest and go home once purchased, but ultimately what does it matter and why would the govt have any need for involvement? You are free to go to other countries and buy property without govt intervention, it's annoying but unfortunately that's the situation.

• Advertisement

We're trying to sell and buy at the moment. Well, we're already sale agreed on our own house which is a two year old house in eastern NCD. Sale agreed within 3 weeks, an Irish couple edged out two Inidian bidders and one English. No Chinese although there are one or two in the estate that bought new.

The moral of the story is you can get annoyed that the higher bidder is "international" but they can be outbid too. It's a private auction after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Summer2020

I work with a guy who's recently bought in a new development in Leopardstown , Clay Farm. Houses on average €650,000 minimum. A friend of his who's Chinese and is one of the top guys in a certain Chinese telecoms company in Dublin bought 2 of these 4 beds as an investment. He doesn't even live in the estate himself. Both rented out for over €3,500 a month. First time buyers haven't a hope against this Chinese money. This is happening all over South Dublin.

What shouldn't be allowed? Being outbid or being outbid by a "non-national"?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I was annoyed about anyone being "international".

I commented on one specific incident.

Glazers Out!

I think the point @picturehangup was making is Chinese investors who have no ties with Ireland. They are sitting pretty in China, don't pay tax or live in Ireland but looking to make a profit from property in Ireland.

Ireland is a small island, it is not Vancouver etc. People who get outbid are buying properties so they can live in them, they are buying a Home, not a property gamble.

Anyway my 2c.

Living the life

That is fair, for what it is worth Ireland is much bigger than Vancouver but I think you misspoke there.

While I can empathize on what they are saying, if you were selling a house and a buyer came to you with a lot of money, you would take it. I do know that they tried to take steps to stop this in other countries, but generally people with a lot of money will pay any kind of foreign buyers tax and vacant home tax because they still make money on the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

The Irish housing market isn't meeting the needs of those domestic here and the market is very small when looked at on a global scale. Those living in Ireland and looking to purchase a home, not an investment, should see prices align to purchasing power but purchasing power from investors in behemoths like China are skewing the idea of supply and demand.

There needs to be some sort of state intervention to stop investment purchases but good luck with that.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 37 EchoEmber

I agree with you if I was the seller, I would go for the buyer with lots of money.

Living the life

• Advertisement

Not a chance of that happening since it disadvantages every homeowner looking to sell.

Advertisement