Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I struggled in the vaporfly for a 10k, just no support in them at all, I was ok in 5k but I need something stronger for 10k up. Will use the Speed 3 for the rest of the year and have a look at nitro elite also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

I'm looking for opinions on the most comfortable super shoes for wide feet. I've struggled over the past few years to find a "super shoe" that is remotely comfortable for me and it is mainly due to chaffing issues from the uppers, in particular on the edges of my feet/toes. I seem to have a relatively wide foot and I've tried a couple of different options which when purchasing I thought would work but after a couple of runs I've had to abandon. Lots of wasted money. The most recent being the Mizuno Wave Rebellion Pro.

At the moment I use pretty much only Saucony Speed's, 1's up to 3's now for everything, from daily easy runs to faster workouts/intervals and most recently a half marathon race. They are the only shoe that just don't give me any issues. I had also been using the Triumph 19 but had issues then with the 20. Now with a marathon coming up I do feel like I'm missing out a bit on getting the best I can out the current generation of shoes that are out there.

So what are peoples personal experiences for super shoes with relatively roomy uppers for wide feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

New balance always get recommend for wife feet, not sure what their super shoe is but a google will tell you and then some reviews on you tube

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Los Cafeteros

Also been using the speed's(v2 and V3) for most runs. Recently got the endorophin pro 3 on sale and found it great and very comfortable on a recent track session. Have been using vaporflys for races in past. Might be an option if the speed's have generally suited you? I'm generally easy on shoes/dont have fit issues though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

Anyone use the New Balance Fuel Cell Super Comp Elite V3?

I over-pronate a bit. I have a pair of Saucony Endorphin Speed and the Pro 2s and I can only get up to about 14 miles in them. My ankle hurt too much. Same with Nike super shoes

I've been looking for a pair of Carbon Plate shoes for the marathon and the Elites seem to be for over pronators.

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

• Just passed 1900ks on me 2 pairs of speed 2s. I'd love another pair but can't find them. Heard a few people saying meh about the speed 3s. Dunno what to get next. Had a pair of Boston 10s for £60 but they felt to heavy.

Too much choice out there for the daily trainer

• Registered Users Posts: 37 volkswagon1973

Looking for a pair of vaporfly 3 any deals to be git in size 9.5uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MZ22

Hiya, I just got a pair of speed 2s in The Edge Cork yesterday for 136, hopefully they have your size left.

https://www.theedge-sports.com/?utm_source=GMBlisting&utm_medium=organic

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I just ordered a pair of Puma Magnify Nitro 2 for easy and long days. I have too many plated shoes and with my Gliderides getting nearer to end of life I felt these were worth a try. I love to Deviate 2 so these should be a good companion.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cracked and ordered myself a pair of Superblast.

Kids: don't buy expensive shoes. I was perfectly happy with my Asics Nimbus 24 before I spoiled myself with the Adios Pro 3 and now enjoy running in them so much I've been using them as a daily shoe. The only thing wrong with the Adios is the faffing required to get them laced up due to the tongue design. I tried some elastic laces but they weren't comfortable with such a minimalist upper so I'm going to try some (traditional?) flat laces.

Meanwhile the Nike Invincible 2s have only been used a couple of times. I get why people like them for the super squish feeling but they just made me run flat footed. I might use them for recovery runs.

Also tried some Puma Velocity Nitro 2 but found them dead feeling so they're relegated to casual use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Mikeh22

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

We're all quick to slam poor service so I thought I should call out excellent service. I ordered these at 6am yesterday from 365rider and they arrived at 11 this morning. Unreal!

• Went with the triumph 20 in the end. £85 delivered on sportsshoes

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

Altra Timp 3 just arrived today in navy blue - to replace a three year old pair in orange and grey that are now a road shoe as the lugs have all worn off.

Awesomely comfortable for my wide feet and love of zero drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Good call and great value there. Most comfortable shoe ever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

Boston 12 is supposed to be excellent.

also the NB Rebel v3 - have a pair in the box waiting for me to finish my 2nd pair of the v2 - they’ve made it a little more stable, which is the one thing it needed

edit: just saw you went with the Triumph - have only heard great things 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 37 volkswagon1973

Looking to start doing a few cross country races and looking to find out which running spikes would be suitable.

Post edited by volkswagon1973 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

I think to start out with it doesn't matter too much, there's no support or anything in them anyway so I just use the cheapest ones I could get. You see people actually wearing dragonflys now too, but I can't really justify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Was wondering about that recently actually. Surely shoe technology makes little difference on a typical Irish cross country course? I'm aware that cross in the USA tends to be run on firm ground where plates and superfoams probably help significantly.

I use Brooks Mach 19, they were €40 on sale. They come with track spikes, they’re a middle distance shoe, so a €4 set of XC spikes in Elverys and you’ve shoes for both occasions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

i have endoprhin pro 2's for a while and find them great, was considering upgrading to pro 3's but have been hearing that they wear out very very quickly,

has anyone experienced that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

I've got about 340Km on mine. The only time I've seen them wear a little on the sole is when I've gone off road on to gravel paths. Otherwise they have been great.

Outsole rubber wear is a thing of the past with the modern shoes really - it’s the foam going dead that will end the shoes. I’ve generally worn all the Endorphins to 900/1000km, and the outsoles have barely any wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Long shot from crap pic.. can anyone identify these Nike trainers please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

sorry should have worded that better, chatting to a few guys at a race at the weekend , experienced fellas that would know their stuff,

they reckoned that the pro 3s were good for 80 miles maybe, before the bounce started to go out of them, i have done a fair bit of looking online since

and i cant find anything really that points to that.. @py post would indicate that theres plenty of mileage in them

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I have pro 3's with 200km on them. I had been feeling the bounce go on them over the last couple of races. I have a new pair that I'll be using for races going forward and the old pair will be used for sessions now. I would expect to get another 200k+ out of them for sessions (maybe more) and they are replacing the speed 3's I have with 800km on them in the rotation. This is a luxury really to have 2 pairs in rotation but I waited quite a while and watched for a really good deal on the second pair. There is not a huge amount of wear and tear, it's definitely more the mid sole bounce which has softened, it makes them ideal as session shoes and I'll get a good bit of use out of them before they are retired

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Rossi7

Is there any difference between a man's shoe and a woman's shoe given they are they are the same size shoe ? Would it be only that they are narrower

As someone else has said, I usually keep a fresh racing pair of shoes that will do 2-300km before moving them to probably 5-700km of session work.

In other words, yes the racing carbon shoes lose their race bounce reasonably quickly, but that doesn’t mean you’d be binning them, quite the opposite. Try to get those expensive shoes in a sale and leave them for when you need them.

I have €112 vaporfly 2’s that sat in a box for 6 months and now have one 10k race in them and will use them for marathons shortly, and probably all races next Jan-June.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

20% off today

• Advertisement
Advertisement