Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I'm also registered for Amsterdam. For this one I went with a P&D 18/70 plan. 6 weeks in and if I was to describe P&D in one word it would be "Grind". The previous three marathons I used an BAA online plan which focused on pace ranges to get a specific Marathon time. I'm using the Heart rate reserve ranges from P&D which requires adaptions as daily run types differ, fatigue changes outcomes and volume ramps. 6 days on and one off, Monday is my rest day for now. My weekly distance exceeded 100km for the first time ever a few weeks ago and with the exception of the recovery weeks where the volume drops, every other week will be over 100km up to 112km max. After last weeks recovery I'm back into new territory this week with 68 miles planned including a 21 miler Sunday after a 7 mile Saturday with 100m strides.

My first impressions on the 18/70 P&D plan are that the Tuesday - Wednesday sessions are the bones of the plan. This week Tuesday had 10 miles with 5 LT in the middle followed by a steady paced 14 mile Wednesday. Basically Tuesday is kicking the **** out you and Wednesday is putting manners on you, the rest of the week is just volume- normal training. The first few Wednesdays I was drained. Trying to hydrate and fuel appropriately but most of all getting enough sleep is my main recovery dream. In preparation and to get an idea of where I'm at I am planning on a 10 mile all out race in August.

So- for Amsterdam I am targeting 3.09.59. 4.30/km or 7.15/mile in real money. 🤞

Best of luck to everyone else, roll on October.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'm tipping along nicely, getting through the same custom plan (maybe best described as 'neo-Lydiard') that helped me to the sub-3:20 goal last year (Chicago, 3:19:28). Since then I've gotten PBs at 10k and 10 miles also but not to the extent that would warrant a more aggressive target this year in Berlin, where a repeat <3:20 is the target. Like a few others above I've been advised to incorporate some S&C as I manage an ongoing glute/hip niggle. So far so good. The lifestyle choices (hydration, sleep, alcohol, nutrition) could be better and it will soon be time to work harder on those. Feeling reasonably confident, although the training feels more wearying this year, possibly because of the niggle and a few stressful life events to manage. Could work harder at controlling the controllables.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Nine weeks or so to Berlin and I'm tipping along reasonably well. I'm following Hanson for the second year in a row and find that I'm hitting the paces for the key sessions fairly comfortably. I'd hoped to do slightly more mileage by now but a couple of planned 60+ weeks ended up closer to 50 due to life getting in the way. Need to be a bit more selfish/committed in the coming weeks.

I generalIy don't feel as motivated this time around which is understandable as Amsterdam last year was my first marathon in six years. Then I also had a clear goal of running sub 2:45 and getting a guaranteed entry for Berlin. I'm aiming for somewhere around 2:38 this time, based off recent race times, but find myself a bit less inspired by that goal. Also, life in general is just a bit more stressful this summer so running seems relatively less important. All the same, I'm in a pretty strong position if I can finish out the plan without any major issues. My mileage for the year to date is a good bit higher than last year so I do think my goal time is pretty realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I'm on week 5 on Hanson's advanced, for DCM. I'm hitting every run and pace at the moment, but I'll be away for a couple of weeks in August so I'll be reserving the right to go off-plan a little if it's too hot!

I followed the same plan for DCM last year, hitting just about every run perfectly, and crashed majestically in the last 6 miles to a 3:27 going for 3:20. To this day I don't know how I managed to to do that. Cracked 3:20 in London this year using P&D and I'm still having daily arguments with myself trying to justify why I'm not doing the same plan for Dublin.

Goal again is for sub 3:20.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Main goal now is to make the start line tbh 🫤

I won't bore the arse off everyone with the details but have had a very stop-start year health wise and more to come probably next week (currently in the borderline horrors with a kidney stone)

Original goal was to push on to sub 3:10 and beyond but things very much up in the air now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

Brought the 5k PB down to 19:24 this evening. No more races now until the Dublin half. Still no idea what time to target for Dublin full

Hitting 16 miles at the weekend so thoughts starting to move to the fueling for the marathon. Last few years I have fallen down on this part I think, mainly the electrolytes and salt intake.

But looking at gels and solid fuels, what are the thoughts? I like the SIS Beta fuel purely because they have a high content of carbs (40g per 60ml gel). But Maurten comes close, (25g per 40ml gel) so I am thinking of moving to those, as well as the drink mix.

I appreciate some people dont need/want to use gels but I am not at that point myself yet.

So, any thoughts?

Maurten worked well for me last year and I'll be using them again for Berlin next month. Tried them once or twice on training runs and had no issues with them on the day. They've a pretty neutral taste and a nice thing about them is that they're not nearly as sticky as most other gels I've tried. Their caffeine gel tastes a bit gross but I found it gave me a nice little boost around mile 18 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Was always a Maurten fan until I tried the SIS Beta Fuel + Nootropics gel.

If there is such a thing as Rocket fuel for runners then this is it.

The taste isn't great if I'm honest and you'd most definitely need a sip of water with it but they are great.

Will still use regular Maurten but the beta fuel is great late in a race or long hard training run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

I've played around with this last year over four marathons and I've finally settled on below. I don't really carb load, maybe a little extra pasta for dinner the night before at about 6 to 7pm and then that's that, no more solids.

My last marathon fueling for Valencia last year:

Maurten 320 for breakfast, 4 hours before the off.

200ml tailwind 25 mins before the off.

5 Maurten gels, 1 every 35 minutes, caffeine one was 4th in rotation.

Salt tab at about mile 17 or 18.

250ml tailwind mile 24 to 25.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

I was similar for Valencia but since i flew in on the Saturday I was munching all the way over. Had a Maurten solid during the day along with other carb bars. I was on 160 morning and a few during the race. 5 gels. 1 at start and every 8kms or so. Salt tablets something similar. Going to try 320 this year. I was wondering when is it to late to take a gel etc when you’re finished by the time it takes effect. I did take the water at about 41km. That stage I was using it more as a shower than consuming it. Flying in on Friday this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭jlang

Even if the sugar can't actually get through the system in time, the act of taking a late gel may still give a mental boost when it's necessary to dig deep. Whether it's the sweet taste hitting in the mouth, the perception that you're still interested enough to try it or pure placebo effect doesn't really matter. It's unlikely to do any harm unless the stomach is refusing deliveries. (Personal opinion only)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Everyone loving it at the moment?

As tough and tiring as it is there's nothing comes close to making you feel as amazing as being neck deep in marathon training.

❤️ it

Good to see you're back in the swing of things. Injury cleared up?

As for me, it's going pretty well. I had a horrible marathon pace tempo yesterday where I was well off the pace throughout and blew up entirely in the final miles. It was humid and windy though, so I'll blame it on that. Otherwise, those Thursday sessions have been going great and I've been hitting goal pace relatively comfortably. Tuesday interval sessions with the club have been fine too. I've been deliberately holding back a bit to keep within the Hanson pace ranges. Weekly mileage has been pretty consistent. I'm on course for 70+ this week.

I have been suffering through lots of niggles but thankfully nothing that has stopped me training so far.

I'd been planning on racing a half or a ten mile sometime this month but I'm struggling to find a date that suits me. At this stage I may well not bother and just stick to the plan as it is. Hard to believe there's really only four full weeks of training left!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Trying my best C, but I'm finding as the weeks go by, the sheer enormity of what I'm preparing for is becoming more and more terrifying. We'll, maybe not quite 'terrifying' but there's definitely a sense of unpreparedness.

That said, I do have moments of genuine excitement, but they only arrive when I think about lowering my targets, so that's exactly what I've done.

Was originally flirting with 3:20-ish but in recent weeks - especially with very sporadic running while on hols - it's been feeling like a case of too much too soon. After receiving some recent words of wisdom, I think it would make far more sense to make DCM this year a confidence booster, enjoy the experience (still planning a respectable enough time, though) and perhaps target a Spring marathon in 2024, where I can give it a good lash, so to speak.

🙂

Im enjoying mine so far anyway. Have ran solo for the last 4 years but this year I am doing my LSRs with a new group so makes it way easier.

Still unsure of time to target for DCM. Definitely Sub 3:30 but not sure if should be even more aggressive and potentially look at sub 3:25

I've been building a base for a long while as well as some pace work. My running week looks like

Tuesday - Trail Run(6 or 7 miles)

Wednesday - Speed work (usually around 1m WU then 4/5 miles at 7:00 and then 1m CD or intervals)

Thursday - recovery run, usually 6m. Abs/Core class also.

Sunday - LSR.

However I think I can add 2 more runs, on a Tuesday morning add in 3/4 miles and same on a Saturday morning.

Recent races

Castleblaney 10 mile - 1:08 (6:51 pace)

Carlingford 5k - 19:24 (6:13 pace)

Now, a caveat. I have ran these races in Saucony Endorphin Pro 2. I will not be wearing these in the marathon. I am doing the Dublin half, going to wear my Kayanos in that and see how I do. I reckon if I can get under 1:30 (PB is 1:32, set last year in ratoath in Saucony Endorphin Speed 1s) I will go for 3:25 potentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Yeah, loving it (most of the time). I just love that feeling of strength that comes from stringing big weeks together.

A bit dinged up this week with a tender hamstring but it is a step back week anyway so just keeping everything easy and the soreness is clearing. Hopefully good to resume full training next week.

Tullamore in 2 weeks - any taper for that will be extremely minimal so not sure what to expect there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

The injury has much improved, would class it as a minor enough niggle now. Physio gave me the confidence I needed to run on it. Said it was the type of thing that improved with activity. Missed the guts of one whole week and ran nothing but easy for another two so not ideal, but not the worst either. Pain was coming on after a mile initially, it's now not making itself known until about six miles, but even at that it's a lot milder.

Target adjusted from 3:05 to 3:10 for now.

Sorry to hear yesterdays tempo was a rough one. You've gotten something from it though no doubt.

Am racing the FD 10 mile next week myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

All going really well for me thank god! I topped 60miles last week, really pleased with that.

Enjoying my plan & actually can't believe how quickly the weeks are going by. Did 3k easy, 20mins@4:52, 15@4:40, 15@4:28, 3k easy on Weds, went really well then I did 100 mins steady tonight in the PP & really felt strong, I think the 2 S & C classes are helping too.

Have my 1st 20 mile run on Sunday & looking forward to hitting that distance for the 1st time this block😊

Have Tullamore half on Sat 26th, that's the only race this block!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Going well enough for me, like others a few niggles (not something that has been 'normal' for me during marathon training) but getting through the programme.

My bespoke plan is getting very marathon specific now, seven weeks out, with some tough MP (and faster) sessions coming up, quite a lot of progressive stuff. Fingers crossed I get through it as well as last year. We've made a few adjustments to some of the sessions (making them a bit tougher) to reflect the additional year of aerobic conditioning. I'm really looking forward to these although I know there will be some pain.

No tune up races for me in the run-up. I'm pacing 90 mins at the Frank Duffy next week, looking forward to that.

Keep up the good work, all.

Too much heat for me on holiday. Managed 40 miles this week, but it's been pretty much all easy running. Not going to stress too much though, I'll pick it back up when I'm home.

Post edited by Unthought Known on

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fidge13

Running gels: Anyone got a source to buy them at something approaching good value? (live in Kildare, but can buy online either...)

I recently ran out of gels and tried electrolyte tabs but i'm not sure they're as effective. I struggled on a 20km run last weekend - i thought i was fueled up right, but it could have been anything i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kieran12

Hi All,

My Dublin marathon plans have been derailed with an ankle injury.

Is there a thread on here to sell the ticket on?

I realise the deadlines for refunds / transfers are over, typical the injuries comes after those deadlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Theres a post at the end of the deals thread in the gear section

some good deals there

https://www.wiggle.com/ie have a sale on at the moment. I picked up 30 SIS beta and 6 beta nootropics last week, fast delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

looking at one of those murphys law weeks

wedding on this coming weekend , friday sat and sunday are out.. might ( slim chance ) squeeze something in saturday but it wont be much

did warriors on saturday past, not in terrible shape after but not in the shape to move the weekends long run , 30k , to midweek

realisticaly i have today, tomorrow and thursday to try and salvage the week and im trying to decide whats the best way to go about it

plan for the full week is 6.4k, 14.6k, 6.4k,14.6k and 30k

im thinking recovery run today 6.4 easy, 14.6 tomorrow and 20+ on thursday is the best i can do with it , if i can crowbar in 10k plus on saturday

then so much the better but the likelihood is slim .. dont like to miss out the really long run but theres plenty more of them in the plan yet

I see Maurten have a new Gel coming out next week. 65g size with 40g of Carbs. Pretty much matches the SIS Beta fuel with their 60/40 split.

And would make it easier to hit the 60g carbs per hour in a marathon, which is my usual strategy.

45 min - 40g gel

1:30 - 40g gel

2:00 - 250ml 320 mix

Thats 120g carbs after 2 hours, bang on.

2:30 - 40g gel

3:00 - 40g gel & 250ml 320 mix.

Should be enough to see home in 3:30

Obviously needs to be tested in training

• Advertisement

That's interesting and makes sense for them. I've actually switched to the Beta Fuel on this block, for cost reasons mainly, and find them very easy to take. Having to take a gel or two less over the course of a marathon is appealing too.

Advertisement