Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed van

Options
  • 07-08-2023 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I supsect i may have been done by a speed van last thursday 3rd August. New spot never seen one in before, end of a 50 coming into a 60, car clock says i was doing 62kmh, if i google map vs car speedo does have about 5km diffrence, i breaked as soon as i spotted the van. How long can i expect it to take for thr fine to come? Does it come in an envelope thats obvious what it is? Anyone got away with similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭the 12 th man

Brown Envelope normally within 2 weeks.

You'll know the minute you see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭walshtipp

Range is quite short on the speed vans. If you were more than 20 or 30 metres from the van when you slowed down, you may be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wexcap

Is there a tolerance with van does any one know

It's said it's 10% but I think it's a discretionary thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Might be a stupid question but does if only check speed from the back of the van.

Doesn't look like there's any camera in the front.

Thanks.

T.

• Advertisement

No camera in the front alright but the rear camera can be set to catch you coming towards the van or away from the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Can we delete the speed cam mega thread.

Going by the amount of 'have I been caught' & 'can a speed van xyz'

No one can be bothered to read it.

I have noticed there aloud park up were ever they feel like it for explample hiding behind bushes

They have to be legally parked or you have a challenge to the ticket AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭SVI40

There is no tolerance. You can be done for 1km/h over the limit. The cameras can have a range of up to 1 km. All depends on what distance they set it up for.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 34 roryj

I got 3 points and €160 fine for 129kmh on the 120 kmh limit M6, 2 months ago. Had cruise set to 129 kmh to be under the 10% , but alas ,to no avail.

How long did it take the ticket to come

Post edited by wexcap on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

The jack lynch tunnel is nearly a permanent speed van location at the moment since a few link roads opened,one is a 30km limit but the van is parked in the 60 back door facing the 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭SVI40

Eh, yes. Show me the legislation that stages you have an allowance of going over the limit? It's 30, 50, 60, 80 etc. Not 31, 51, 61, 81 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

There is no legislation stating that, but you won't get a ticket for going 1kmh over.

There is a tolerance/ leeway.

8km over is the lowest I've ever seen for a ticket from a gosafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭honda boi

Have they always been set up on motorways?

I've seen them twice on the M2 and on the M3 recently.

All my years driving and never seen them on a motorway before.

Alot of cars Speedos over read . So if your Speedo says 120kmh , your prob only going about 115kmh . But this depends on each individual car.

Have an insignia that when the Speedo reads 130kmh, my phone GPS shows 120kmh.

But In the missus CRV, when the Speedo is reading 120kmh, the GPS reads 119kmh!

Not sure that's legal,parked in a 60 pointing into a 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Why did you need to be driving at 129kmh using mythical percentages ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What's you basis for that? Of course they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Gardai will give a tolerance of 10%+3. Of course it is discretionary and if you are taking the mick in some other way that discretion could disappear.

The UK did have the same tolerance, but a number of forces changed to 10%+2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Is it 100% correct that speed van range is very short ? Can I take it that it doesn’t extend beyond 1.2km ? Do they track your speed as you approach and decide to take a pic or is it just at a single fixed point ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There's 2 different scenarios here...

• GoSafe Vans have a VERY short range - you have to be practically beside the back door before the camera goes off. They don't capture from the front window but as said, the rear camera can track cars approaching and leaving the rear of the van and can cover multiple lanes simultaneously.
    • Any detections are then reviewed by Gardai in Tipperary who will decide whether or not to issue a fine/points.

• Garda cars with handheld cameras can detect at greater range and many now have the option to record the offence (check out the Garda twitter feed). From observation, the Gardai will still chase down anyone they want a word with and will take the details at the roadside.
    • This may or may not result in a fine/points - but if they've gone to the effort of chasing you down, you're probably going to get a letter! (it's not issued at the roadside and the Garda may not definitively say either way but it's likely).

In both cases, there is no defined/official leeway but again observation would suggest that there is SOME allowed and this will vary by location (eg: doing 10 km/h over outside a school is less likely to be ignored than 10 km/h over on a motorway - but again this is NOT a guarantee either!)

No I'm not a Garda. The above is from my reading of the Speeding Megathread at the top of this forum, the Garda twitter account, and observation of speed checks on the roads. Your experiences may vary! 🙃

I think it's the 30km/h limit you mean - the 60 certainly would be.

They are frequently on the M7 in/between Kildare and Laois but in general (again from observation) most motorway detections are Garda cars with handheld detectors.

Speedometer readings vs actual speeds will vary by car, size of tyres and speed - eg: on my own car with 18" wheels the speedometer is pretty much spot on at lower speeds (50 km/h or less), but at motorway speeds will show as 5km/h over the actual (based on comparison with a GPS App on my phone).

I heard that traffic core have to get as many tickets as they can now the days of being given a warning are well and truly gone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

The GoSafe vans do not have a range of 1km. The Radar used by GoSafe vans is set at an angle of around 22degres off the road, so its around 10-20m maximum, which is needed for their camera to get a good shot of the registration anyway.

A Garda Laser based system can be up to 1km, but to be honest I think their FCPNs at that distance are unsafe if another car is in the frame. The tolerances supplied by LaserTech are pretty wide 1000m out. Not that they need the gun reading in court anyway, the Garda can just say you were speeding and you'd likely get the increased fine & points.

9km/h over the limit... What has the motoring forum come to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 ROCCO..C

…..

Advertisement