Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any bakers here? Is any body here making their own Christmas Cake?

Options
  • 09-08-2023 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

🎄 After a gap of a few years I finally have time on my hands to bake again.

I am starting to organise what's required for Christmas Cakes. I will definitely bake a Delia cake and perhaps if somebody has a nice recipe to recommend, I could make that also.

I am not a fan of puddings though. The eating yes, but not of all the steam involved so will won't go down that path.

I am also going to try mincemeat and a couple of chutneys.

Is Christmas Cake making still a thing, or has supermarket Christmas Menus (Nothing wrong with them!!) taken over?

🎄

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

I am not a fan of puddings though. The eating yes, but not of all the steam involved so will won't go down that path.

The microwave will do the job, and in less time.

e.g. https://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/recipes/all/prue-leith-last-minute-christmas-pudding/

(I make sponge cakes in the microwave, they are fantastic!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

I make a few cakes every year. Sometimes do the puds, not a fan myself but close family love them. My profile pic is last year's main cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 3 Owls in a Coat

Do you mind me asking what recipes do you use or are they hand me downs? My mother makes 2 cakes every year but doesn't have the recipe written down and doesn't have the patience to dictate it to me😏

Also - is there such a thing as being to early to make a cake?

As long as there's plenty of booze in it, any time from october would be fine. Probably be good for months but you need to feed it, i.e. douse with more alcohol, and store it properly.

I use my grandmother's recipe and one I got on a baking course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

My wife makes cakes for my parents are her own. I think she makes them at the end of September. They must be nice because my father will very rarely give a slice of his away 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 30,547 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One tip i would give would be buy the own brand ground almonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We bake loads of fruit based bits and always use dunnes or tescos own brand dried fruit and have never noticed a difference. Less than half the price of the branded versions.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I'd also suggest knowing your oven and having your tin correctly lined.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

Storing properly is v important. Last year we couldn't get the usual greaseproof paper, had to get a cheaper one and when we opened up the puddings to feed them they were all mouldy which never happened before. We'd wrap in greaseproof paper and then tinfoil over that. My mother is the expert on the cake and the pudding but she lets me help. I love cooking and I think you can never go far wrong with any of Mary Berry's recipes. I make mince pies too from a recipe I got online. I posted it last year on some thread.

But, yeah, it wouldn't be Christmas for me without the cake and almond icing and the royal icing (not fondant) on it and the cake toppers like a snowman, a Santa and a merry christmas topper and a christmassy cake frill all around it! I just have to have that.

I have to have mince pies, puddings and sherry trifle too. I make tiramisu for the fussy ones. Bought Christmas cakes and puds (in my opinion) are not a patch on your own unless maybe if you bought from a good bakery or handmade stuff from a stall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

My mum always stored her Christmas puds and cake in jute sacking and greaseproof paper, then hung them in the storage cabinet in the kitchen only to come out when having additional alcohol added. Never had an issue with them. Such a shame she doesn't bother anymore as so few eat them.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'd go one better on this and say that if you can get to an Asian supermarket, you'll get a big bag of ground almonds at next to nothing, compared to the likes of Dunnes & Tescos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

No, as long as you feed it , top and bottom , regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

If you want a puddingy cake the Nigella Chocolate fruit cake is the one to go for. Easy to make, texture of both cake and pudding.

I can also highly recommend the Delia Smith Christmas Chutney - it's perfect with cheese and meat.

I'm so glad that there are people willing to share the tips - interesting about the puddings going mouldy - were they sweating in the paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Nigel Slaters - Christmas Chronicles is great for all sorts of Christmas recipes and ideas.

I've done the christmas cake from it and was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭pigtail33

The same thing happened me last year. I made two puddings, one week apart, using the exact same recipe. One had some mould on it when opened on Christmas Day and the other one was fine. They were both wrapped the same and stored side by side, so it wasn't a room temp issue. No idea why it happened to one and not the other, perhaps there was different greaseproof paper used.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I do my cake with spiced rum and some grated chocolate. It was a good housekeeping recipe I found some years ago.

Another idea if it interests you is to do a gingerbread dough and freeze it in the next few months - I think my recipe is the Donal Skeehan one, and start stocking up on the decorative sweeties if they last that long in your house. It's a lovely activity with kids to build gingerbread creations.

• Advertisement

Some of our cakes. We make our own Marzipan and Royal Icing but we don't add glycerin to it because some a presents and we want them to last.

Oh, wow, those are fabulous looking cakes. Love how they're presented. A1! Would love a slice right now with my tea!

Edit: regards the mould. My mam is the director in the kitchen and I merely help her out and she maintains it was the cheap greaseproof paper. Remember last year some items were just unavailable at times and she had to buy this cheaper stuff that was almost white rather than the yellowy greaseproof paper. It never ever happened before in all her 30+ years doing them! The paper I guess was the only different thing so we're presuming it was that.

Could an issue be using baking paper instead of greaseproof paper?

Could be that. Not sure! Either way we've got the greaseproof paper but we're a bit late making them this year. I reckon some weekend in September now we'll get cracking!

I saw these in Aldi last night. It can be hard to get yellow and green cherries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I use my mothers Christmas cake recipe which was excellent but I put in a fair amount more booze into it.

In terms of the ingredients I’m actually a brand snob when it comes to a cake I only make once a year so only the top quality ingredients for me I’m afraid-

I know this differs to some thinking above by another poster above but for me, some cheaper ingredients impact the overall taste of the cake - I know the taste I want and I just don’t get that from some of the cheaper ingredients

Edit

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Madd002

Made one 2/3yrs ago for my mam as she was complaining that all Xmas cakes from shops are dry and crumbly and only done with fondant icing not to mention price of them, her sister sent one every year when we were younger so she never needed to bake one. Anyhow I made a Delia one from an old cookbook in October and fed with paddy powers every 2wks wrapped in greaseproof paper double layer and double layer of tinfoil, placed in a airtight cake tin. I presented to her wk before Xmas and she was delighted as it was very like ones we received years ago. It was lovely and moist and didn't last long..!! Not bad for a first timer. Going to do a couple this year😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Well done- yeah the first time is the most daunting.

Does anyone here line the tin with brown paper? That’s what I’ve been doing, essentially following my mums method - I cut out about 4-5 layers of round circles and then cut out the side layers again about 4-5 layers - then line with grease proof paper- it helps stop the base and sides from burning whilst the center of the cake keeps cooking

Fir me it’s actually the longest part of the cake making process 🤪- so I do the cutting out when I’m in the mood then it’s all set and ready to go when I get some motivation for the baking.

Also- booze- brandy good Irish whiskey and a bit of rum all in together make a great flavour

• Advertisement

I use double greaseproof and double brown paper on mine. Most of my ingredients are own brand, have never found a difference in taste, and I've been making them for 20 years, sometimes up to 9 or 10 a year. The price difference is colossal so unless a particular ingredient is noticeably inferior. But I'm also the opposite of a brand snob, as long as I like something I don't care what brand it is.

Advertisement