Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The spectators for that Los Angeles Laps track look a bit dodgy.

And it’s live. Great to see Kamek / Magikoopa getting vindicated after being cut from Mario Kart 64 beta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge - Dimension Shellshock - DLC Trailer – Nintendo Switch

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge - Dimension Shellshock DLC is coming later this year to Nintendo Switch!

Get your pizza order in and get ready to shred between dimensions in the brand new survival mode for TMNT: Shredder's Revenge! Collect crystals, upgrade your character, and mutate into your foes for an interdimensional brawl!

EA SPORTS FC 24 - Pre-order Trailer - Nintendo Switch

EA SPORTS FC 24 is coming to Nintendo Switch on September 29, 2023!

EA SPORTS FC 24 is a new era for The World’s Game, with PlayStyles optimized by Opta and a revolutionized Frostbite Engine powering the most true-to-football experience ever, plus a full Ultimate Team experience which welcomes women’s footballers to the pitch, VOLTA FOOTBALL, and Clubs now all on Nintendo Switch.

So EA are using the Frostbite Engine on the Switch for the first time on their footie game(they did previously use it on Plants Vs Zombies). But I was thinking to myself why now for a franchise that sells poorly on Switch and accounts for single digits in terms of % of total sales from all platforms. Maybe it's because they've lost the FIFA license and had to do work anyway to change the game, and so decided to use the Frostbite Engine.

Or, maybe there's another Nintendo platform launching in the next year that convinced EA to renew their effort and will get an enhanced port.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It could be a very clever effort on their part, though late, to bring something players want from their Switches, to be able to play the game on the go that they have on their PS5.

I wonder if they'll be a network enabled system to port your teams back and forth from the EA servers, that could make it essential for FIFA players, together with ad-hoc wireless multiplayer and a simplified control system that might allow two or more players on one Switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly maybe it's just a realisation that with a modicum of effort they could offer a football game on Switch that's kinda lacking, cos AFAIK there aren't any strong football games on the platform? Unless those "legacy edition" versions sell like hot cakes it must be a totally untapped market at this stage.

"Unless those "legacy edition" versions sell like hot cakes it must be a totally untapped market at this stage."

They don't. I can remember reading stories like this.

Switch version only accounted for 1% of the physical version sales of FIFA 18 in the UK

And it was far from a once off.

FIFA 20 Switch Made Up 1% Of All FIFA 20 Sales In UK

And it got worse with the Legacy Edition's. And remember they're significantly cheaper than the next gen versions. Although I see for the most recent FIFA 23.

"Sony's consoles dominated FIFA 23's sales, with 41% of the copies shifted going to the PS5, now the biggest retail platform for the football series, and 30% going to PS4.

The Xbox One represented 17% of all sales, followed by Nintendo's Switch and the Xbox Series, both at 6%. Launch sales for FIFA 23 on Switch were 20% higher than FIFA 22."

We'll see how FC 24 sells on Switch now. It doesn't have the cheaper price on Switch this time, which will go against it.

£35/€40/$40 versus £55/€60/$60. It's €10/$10 more for next gen platforms and Switch is only getting the standard edition, while PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC are also getting the Ultimate Edition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

’The Legacy editions’ of FIFA games have been a borderline scam - silly prices for what’s a glorified patch for an old game. A truly cynical practice.

If they’ve actually made a new game for the Switch - and it appears they have - then that’s a lot more reasonable and would justify a price increase. Although whether EA is justified charging full price in the first place given the Ultimate Team racket is another discussion altogether.

Grubb Says Metroid Prime 2 for Switch is Coming “Relatively Soonish”; Again Mentions Something Zelda-Related

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That is great news, always wanted to get back into it, an amazing game

More Zelda goodness coming to Switch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Hopefully that's not the "something Zelda related" mentioned previous.

RUMOR: Nintendo's next generation console set to launch 2024, dev-kits in the hands of major game studios

Shame if the base model isn't OLED. 2024, after all MK8 DLC is released, has been my suspicion for a long long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Len_007

Bring back 3D gaming on the go I say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Red Dead Redemption is coming to switch on August 17th, with physical coming in October. Includes Undead Nightmare

I think after GTA Trilogy, people will be waiting for reviews this time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Reviews? Screw that I'll wait for patches before touching that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Enjoyed RDR (on PS3) far more than the follow up (on Xbox One), so I'll probably get this for the delights of handheld play, providing reviews are acceptable.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Yeah I’d be interested in RDR on Switch if it runs well enough. It’s been on my “backlog / wishlist” for a while. If it had cross-save with Xbox that’d be icing on the cake.

The rumour was somewhat right. €50 for a port of a 2010 game? Nope, not a remake or a remaster. I know what this deserves. ➰ What's the bet that the Switch physical release in October is borked like so many others? Rockstar have barely tried on Switch, they don't deserve any success. And GTA Trilogy on Switch was a crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The physical release will depend on the size of the game I suppose. Although given that it is an old game, perhaps the file size won't be too huge. Otherwise this will be like LA Noire with a large download supplementing the cartridge.

I'll be waiting on reviews and a first sale before purchasing but I know I will end up getting it as I adored RDR2.

No real bargains for RDR on the international eshop list either.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Just checked the eshop out of nosiness - £40 is quite the ask for a 13-year old game, although it being pulled from PSN last year reduces the immediately obvious "why would you pay this?" question.

Me, I picked up a PS3 copy from a charity shop years ago for about £3 and still haven't touched it, so I'm certainly not going to fork out New Game Money to put it on my Switch backlog...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I have it through PS Plus. Never played it.

Flashback 2 | New Washington Trailer | Microids Studio Lyon / Paris & Paul Cuisset

Conrad is back! 30 years after Flashback, Paul Cuisset's mythical game, which made the licence known worldwide, is back with this new sci-fi action-adventure game! Flashback 2 will be available on November 2023.

Flashback was ahead of its time and offered great innovations with superb character animations. A true pioneer in 1992, the game also achieved legendary status in video games thanks to its rich and engaging story.

This classic video game is regularly ranked among the top 100 games of all time! Now it's getting a makeover to mark its 30th anniversary, and this brand new 2.5D version of Flashback 2...

After his victory over the "Master Brain" in the first episode, Conrad and his allies are once again confronted with the Morphs, who threaten all civilizations.

Moreover, his friend Ian, who has answers to many of Conrad's questions, has just been kidnapped in front of him... A trick of the Morphs? For what purpose? It's up to you to find out...

Help him and his allies to solve this delicate and dangerous investigation through 5 levels full of action and shoot-outs and to fight the Morphs who are preparing a machiavellian plan for total control of the solar system...​

Microids tend to make pretty average games, not terrible, very whelming, and often based on mid tier IP like Asterix (who I love but it's never going to cause any shockwaves in the mainstream) It'll be interesting to see what they do with that icon anyhoo.

Post edited by Tom Mann Centuria on

I know it's an older game now, but RDR is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

Certainly, the change in background music as you cross the border into Mexico is simply beautiful.

The game channels every pleasurable moment I didn't watching westerns when I was a child, just brilliant.

It is expensive though, so I'll probably wait, especially when I can play it for free on my Xbox Series X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Had the moment in question ruined for me by a pack of damn coyotes.

• Advertisement

Hot on the heels of yesterday's rumour...

Quake 2 Enhanced tomorrow

Comes the official announcement of Quake 2.

It's €9.99.

Quake II - Official Launch Trailer - Nintendo Switch

Reintroducing Quake II, the legendary sci-fi action FPS. This enhanced version features new content, online multiplayer/co-op with crossplay, and more!

I'll be buying Quake 2, very hard to resist at a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Hope Q3 Arena comes eventually too

although a google shows this...

assuming that's some sort of 3133+ hax?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Bought Quake 2 immediately yesterday after seeing the release. Only got to play about 30 mins last night but it plays great. Way harder than I remember though!

Really like all these classic FPS releases on the Switch. I have Doom, Doom 2, Doom 64, Quake, Quake 2 and Duke Nukem 3D at this stage! Just waiting on Turok and Turok 2 to go on sale before picking those up.

SOUTH PARK: SNOW DAY! | Reveal Trailer

An all-new South Park game is coming… in 3D. Join Cartman, Stan, Kyle and Kenny, in three-dimensional glory, to celebrate the most magical day in any young child’s life - a snow day! Grab up to three friends and battle your way through the snow-piled streets of South Park on a quest to save the world and enjoy a day without school. 

SOUTH PARK: SNOW DAY! available in 2024 for PC, PlayStation 5, Xbox X|S and Nintendo Switch. 

It's probably coming to Switch 2 as well, but it's not the right time to reveal that right now.

Indeed, I logged onto Steam and installed the new update and it's fantastic.

I do think my younger self who played it at launch was much better at it than the old fart that remains, it's hard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Picked up Tunic in Smyths for €44.99 have had it preordered a few weeks now art book is nice probably not the flashiest ever game looks very nice but it's gone on the to do list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Ooh nice didn't know q2 was a free upgrade on steam.

BTW this is about €7 on South Africa store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Was really enjoying that game on GamePass and then the first boss was ridiculously hard. So I can't imagine how much harder the others get. It'd definitely be better if they sorted out that difficulty spike.

• Advertisement

Check the settings. There are accessibility options to make the game easier.

Turn on infinite stamina at least. You can also make yourself (almost) invincible and just enjoy the exploration and puzzles.

TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge - Dimension Shellshock DLC | Available August 31

A multiversal melee awaits! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge - Dimension Shellshock DLC is coming on August 31 on PC via Steam, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S.

Show off your ninja skills with fan-favorite Karai joining the fight! Catch a glimpse of the Foot Clan’s fiercest fighter as she charges enemies with lightning-fast moves alongside her four favorite Turtles. Karai joins the razor-sharp Miyamoto Usagi, star of the Usagi Yojimbo comic book series. With both at your side there’s no stopping the Turtles as they kick, punch and party their way across the various new worlds in Dimension Shellshock’s Survival Mode.

RDR1 getting pretty decent reviews on Switch.

Vampire Survivors (plus DLC) came out today. It's like crack. Better with a joystick than phone touchscreen too.

Blasphemous 2 is getting great reviews too (out next week). Spicy enough pricing though (about €27). About a tenner less for Mexicans.

Little Nightmares III – Announcement Trailer

Are you ready to return to the Nowhere, little ones? This time, face your childhood fears together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Len_007

I’ve never played it. Might wait till a price drop

• Advertisement

I have it on xbox series x, and never really started it. Was waiting to see what the new versions would add, nothing new for Xbox, will play it there. It's 4K on Xbox one x / series X ... Anyway ... Supposed to be an excellent game. And the Switch got a very good version of it.

SteamWorld Build | Release Date Reveal Trailer

Coming to Steam, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Playstation 5, Xbox Series X | S, Xbox One and Game Pass on December 1st 2023.

In SteamWorld Build, you must escape a dying planet by building a mining town to dig up vital long-lost technology. Meet the ever-growing needs of your citizens, trade resources and defend your mine from the creatures that lurk below.

Love the steamworld games, so I dare say this will get added to the collection.

Next Direct on Thursday 31st August for Super Mario Wonder

• Advertisement
Advertisement