Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Lufthansa currently operate a Frankfurt route. I'm not sure, but it probably ends in October. Germany is terribly served. It's my biggest whinge regarding the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The main runway can be fairly easily extended by 247 metres at the north without any immediate planning, flight path or topological issues as identified in the Cork County Council Airport Special Local Area Plan in 2010: http://corkcocoplans.ie/airport-slap-2010/

247 metres would bring 16/34 to roughly the same length as 10R/28L in Dublin and would make it significantly longer than Cardiffs runway which accommodates 787's to Qatar. That would open up as far West as Chicago and Atlanta and as Far East as Dubai (Emirates have long flirted with Cork as in this article: https://www.independent.ie/business/in-the-workplace/cork-looks-to-medium-long-haul-as-its-business-offering-grows/37017952.html despite the runway making flights impossible)

The 737 needs to operate at vastly reduced loads in the winter out of Cork

If Shannon is so much better positioned than Cork to serve all of Munster, the midlands and Connacht why does it have so much lower Pax than Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,621 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You have to think about catchment areas as well.

The people who use Cork airport are not all from Cork, likewise Shannon.

People from Limerick could use Cork for a trip to Europe and people from Cork could use Shannon for a trip to Newark.

At the end of the day, it doesnt matter so long as one have frequency, availability and the price is OK.

The M20 will change the way we think about Cork Vs Shannon the same way as when the motorways to Dublin changed the way we view using that Airport.

I would argue that it absolutely does matter. Having links to the East Coast and Middle East 20 minutes away for Limerick vs 1hr and 30 minutes away for Cork would be a huge selling point for the former. We’ve seen this play out with Dublin already where the motorway network benefited one airport and cost all others. It’s the responsibility of Cork Airport to be on the right side of this beneficiary for the city. Feeding the thousands of Aircoach passengers to Shannon instead of Dublin does nothing for the city.

• Advertisement

Why would it matter?

When the M20 is done, Shannon will be 90 minutes away from Cork City. Cork Airport is about 10 minutes away from Cork City. Does that 80 minutes really matter all that much?

We all know that Cork Airport itself is not well suited for long-haul traffic due to the geography of the airport and its short runway. How much would it cost to rectify this? Will airlines then jump at the chance to fill the void knowing that Shannon is up the road? No use spending hundreds of millions on an airport runway extension if no airline is willing to use it.

We need to be less parochial about this. It's not the zero-sum game you make it out to be.

That's interesting. I didn't know they'd done up a plan for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If cork has such a lucrative transatlantic market, why did nobody replace the Norwegian services?

This Shannon v Cork argument is going on with years and it's pathetic. The two airports should compliment each other, not detract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Norwegian got into financial difficulties

Covid literally shut down the airline business and as yet to achieve the business levels it was at in 2019.

If Norwegian succeeded in operating a plane from Cork to an airport on the East Coast of US, with limited transfers and not quite a destination, then it won't take a genius to figure out that if a service was set up between Cork / NY or Boston, then it will be a success.

Where are you getting hundreds of millions from?? Waterfords runway extension of 900 metres is projected to cost about 15 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Interesting few lines in this report saying Ryanair are considering routes from Cork to Scandinavia and Northern Europe

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/ryanair-flying-high-300-jump-27381327.amp

Great if true, but it's Corkbeo, so it's more than likely they've picked that out of thin air for clicks.

Cork Airport is on a hill so the engineering behind it will probably be much more complicated thus much more expensive.

Read the report I linked from Cork County Council. There is no anticipated topological issues associated with the northern extension of the runway recommended by the council.

That is just a zoning report, it will gloss over any and all engineering issues that may arise.

Do we have anything more concrete as in a full engineering survey of the site and design of what the runway extension looks like?

Its best report we have, of course issues may come up at a full engineering survey but there is absolutely nothing to suggest that there would be. I don't understand how you have better information than the council who commissioned the report to say the extension would cost hundreds of millions?

Well the new runway in Dublin cost 320 million euro

Now obviously, this is a runway extension, not a new runway we are talking about.

But the geographic nature of this means that it would be more complicated than building a runway somewhere flat like Shannon.

The recent repair job in Cork cost 12 million. So to say we can build an extension for near that is not credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

This.

I am fine with using Shannon for transatlantic, and Cork for European. Both are far better than Dublin in terms of accessibility for the thousands of business travellers in the Munster region. I think they are complimentary. What's lacking is the numbers of flights year round, the wasted airport capacity.

Agree, bring those partial services up to all year and expand the number of days being served (Lufthansa, Swiss Air, Air France). Heck, even Brussels Air would be handy, the train from Amsterdam to Brussels is crammed and can be 2-3 hours long depending on the time of arrival. Brussels airport is a similar airport to Cork I think... bound to be slots there.

I wonder do Cork airport have any recent surveys on where their passengers actually go.

• Brussels / Zaventem is WAY bigger and busier than Cork. It handles 26 million passengers a year. It's completely connected to Brussels and Antwerp (and other cities like Ghent) by rail etc. It'd be more comparable to Dublin but not quite as busy.

The cluster of EU institutions and NATO tends to mean it has a lot of traffic in and out in business class more so than it might otherwise.

It tends to fail to develop into a very serious hub despite there being a pretty big population all within short distance of it (about 7 million people) because it's overshadowed by two super hubs - AMS and CDG being very near by but it's quite a busy airport by any standards.

I also think Sabena collapsing and having floundered for a long time didn't help. It was never as well connected as AF or KLM.

Cork to Brussels is actually easier by Air France with a TGV ticket included. You can even check in at Brussels-Midi/Zuid station.

The new runway at Dublin was 3,100 metres, the proposed extension at Cork is 247 metres. They are completely incomparable projects. What exactly is the geographical nature of this project that would drive the cost up? There is no noticeable change in gradiant at the site of the proposed extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Figures out for July 2023. Busiest July since 2008. Hopefully this momentum will encourage better year round services

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0804/1398141-dublin-airport-passenger-numbers/

I'm sorry, but if you think the runway extension will just cost 10 million euro, you are barking mad.

Now, I would be in favour of the runway extension but if the cost is 10 times more then what you way, perhaps there is a better way to spend this money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

I had just passed through the airport when I wrote that... and it was so spacious and compact I thought there must be free slots (like there are in Cork) But you're spot on, it's over 2MM per month and very busy during the day, where Cork is 2.5MM per year.

Yeah, I've an aversion to CDG that I need to get over. My iffy experiences there have been with transfers, so should consider it as destination with a train connection.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi Folks - flying out from Cork is way easier for us. I was looking at Stansted as a transfer hub to a lot more destinations/connections. My questions are:

• what should ideally be the minimum connecting time to land and get on to another flight (is 1 hour enough for example)?
    • and is there another location with better connections (AMS/LHR/CDG etc)?

Thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

The early morning AMS can have slots, could be 5 mins late leaving or could be 30/40 mins late. I'd factor in landing an hour late just in case. The mid-day/afternoon flight usually has less of a slot delay leaving but it can land into cork a little late, presumably because of slots earlier in the morning.

The CDG can have slots but it's not often, again it can land here a little late so factor in an extra hour, just in case.

LHR can be hit with bad slots too but (I think) it's usually worse on the earlier flights.

STN very rarely has a slot.

Frankfurt and Zurich are supposed to be good airports for connections, just depends on if you can get to your final destination with your landing time over there or not.

Manchester, Luton and Gatwick are very busy airports with flights everywhere you could wish to go to. They might not be the best airports to use for a connecting flight tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

No way is an hour at Stansted enough for a transfer - bear in mind you'll have to leave the airside area and come back through security. Coming from Ireland, with hand luggage only, I'd regard two hours as a bare minimum to account for any delays. On the way back, presuming you wouldn't have flown on to somewhere else in the UK, even that may not be enough as, as well as the above, you'll also have to go through passport control before exiting airside.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭TheBetsy

Looks like Swiss might be scrapping their weekly ski flight to Geneva for the coming winter, with all flights marked as sold out on the website

Post edited by TheBetsy on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Having recently flown into AMS for the first time, I'd use that in the future wherever possible. I lived in East Anglia for years and Stansted was my airport, but only Ryanair connects it to Cork. AMS has a variety of carriers from Cork and you may be able to book tickets to onwards destinations more easily. Plus our KLM flight to AMS came with USB ports for phone chargers in the seats, and a free drink and sandwich, plus more legroom than usual. It was a dream flight compared to Ryanair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whispering1

Aer Lingus have come in with Lyon this year. They also do Munich and Ryanair doing Bergamo

Advertisement