Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Going okay here. 5kgs ahead of last year up to end of July

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Up 12% here to date. Silage all in in good order. 1st start of May, 2nd middle of June, wholecrop wheat 2 weeks ago, maize looks best ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The government, if they have any sense, won't put a cent towards a reduction scheme. The current strategy of banding, storage, changing calves ages before moving, etc is all leading to a reduction in milk and cows. Add on top the processors cutting prices galore will see more culled. Shouldn't someone somewhere point that out to the processors? I think days of farmers breaking their balls (or the girls equivalent) to send milk away for nothing is over. The newer generations are no mugs and have ample opportunities for handier lives without being welded to cows. The processors would do well to remember that. Unless they pay a fair price, they'll have nothing to buy eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

And I think you have to stand back and look at the overall picture.there was alot of pent up appetite for cows released the last few years and now people are in the thick of work and pressure keeping things going and nothing but extra hassle and negative sentiment coming their way which now means that maybe a kind of a natural settling the next couple of years.i wouldn't describe it as a soft landing ,it's going to hurt but maybe it's time to sit back and take stock of things

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

An afull lot of lads are in so deep financially now tho they’ve no choice …all that extra ss has/is been paid for by suppliers …coops creamed it off last year and consistently paid a few cent per litre shy of market returns ….this year they e cut the shite out of what there paying …we are producing milk now with no idea of what we’re been paid until mid September …bonkers …..if they want milk pay us. A fair return ….I’ve no sympathy for coops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

A kind of a simplified viewpoint but in hindsight would lads have used last years windfall to reduce borrowings and just consolidate the business instead of more investment and expansion. Was that an option for many and if so did many go that route?

Consolidate wasn’t on Radar for loads …still on the expansion mode ….things will change this year …gloss of last years milk price quickly diminishing and now all the enviro stuff and extra money that will have to be spent on compliance and more land if lads want to stay driving on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Another potential cost:

"Slurry storage requirements only going one way, everyone must have 3 weeks soiled water storage for 2023, 4 weeks storage needed for 2024. The storage requirement is for the cow numbers milked at peak during the year and not numbers milked during December."

https://twitter.com/WilliamConlon/status/1688913687724306432?s=20

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Fair enough to have adequate storage. The more the better. But why in the name of jaysus do you need storage in December for anything other than the animals on farm at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's the optics are driving this.

The optics being lads spreading "dirty water" through the winter and it plastered over social media.

The guys or gals who dry off in November and calve again in January, February are being asked now for more separate dirty water or parlour washing storage even though they'd be empty during the closed period.

It's the optics.

Expect worse rules to come. Expect the worst case scenario for slurry storage that you'd imagine the dept would delight in enforcing to encourage bovine farmer retirements and them hitting "climate targets".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It'll likely have to be spent if lads want to stand still, not amind drive on. That's the catch, less cows paying for more concrete something won't add up esp the way building costs are.

Tbh I think those that went all out back in 15/ 16 or before re facilities etc prob are in the best position as back would be broke in payments and facilties solid. Those of us that are only getting going now are in a different kettle of fish between interest / capital costs/ regs and then uncertainty re stock to cover it all.

Obv if one is to stay at it things have to be done and dice has to be rolled but a riskier enviroment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

All the heavy lifting is done here facility wise parlour housing slurry storage, another 2 years of significant repayments and that's it debt per cow would be under 600 euro.....

I still see no way of pushing on/standing still given costs of production, and land rental prices half my ground is rented between maize/silage ground and its a non-runner to keep going as is you'd probably would if land was costed in at 200 a acre which I was paying but two tenants are looking for 300 plus next year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

You are right to be planning ahead if you were to lose rented ground but with the way things are planning out this year and into next year appetite for ground like we saw at the start of this year May wean depending on your location. Only lads able to secure land from a business point of view next year at high prices would be the likes of the lads in west munster sitting on a mountain of shares.

We are currently in the process of putting down a large collecting yard tank that should have been done years ago as we are hand scraping a lot of the collecting yard into a tank at end of the collecting yard due to existing building being in the middle of the collecting yard so new tank will save a considerable amount of labour and time each day. Tank costs have gone up significantly in the past few years but it will ease a lot of hardship, if you had no one coming on hard to see lads making the investment.

Is an extra 100€ an acre on some of your land going to cause your business to automatically become unprofitable?

we’re paying for every acre here between purchased land and land rental it’s averaging over 300€ an acre and we still make nice profit per cow

maybe the system needs tweaking jay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭1848

Have to get away from situation where slurry is spread in closed period. Slurry spread then is going to end up in watercourses. This means 16 week slurry storage & also separate storage for parlour washings etc 4 weeks. If parlour washings stored with slurry then need more than 16 weeks storage. In everybody’s interest that this happens. Will get pressure off our backs.

Should you not of worded the above "where" making a nice profit, have you worked out what it's costing re all inputs on this rented ground and paying contractors etc for maize/wholecrop.....

What's your break-even milk price at the minute our do you even have it worked out, obviously your in derogation, if its gone in 2026 will you go rent another 100 acres at 400 plus our whatever it's making in your area and still be profitable?

My figures are showing given where contractor costs/fertililzer rent etc where at will be for 2023/24 it's gone from a kilo of grass/maize costing 14-17 cent per kilo of dm in the yard for 2019-2020 as a average to 25 cent plus per kilo of dm at the minute

That would be per year the caveat been cow numbers will be halved from their current numbers only owned land farmed, and another 2 years will pay down that debt if no other investment made, hp on machinery etc is included in that figure

• Advertisement

Yes I have

worked it out this morning in fact

whole crop cost 27 c/kg dm - wouldn’t grow it again tbh needed the land but didn’t need all the feed 20 acres of maize would yeild.

maize will cost 19-20c/kg dm. Estimate yeild should be 25 t fresh /ac. Super crop on it

I’m happy enough with maize crop but in all reality I would like to get away from it and back to a simpler system of just grass and meal. That would mean dropping cow numbers to do that. Might happen if land came available next door

but that’s not to say current system isn’t very profitable. It is. But it’s just not as simple as I would prefer it to be

You'll get on the journal with that field of maize is it 14 feet tall if its going to do 25 ton per acre freshweight

Have you got a diet feeder for the maize. An advisor was telling me that maize is no good without one. A grab here and there means the cow doesn't get enough. I have no experience of it myself yet.

Why wouldn’t it ? My contractor got 25t crop last year with an open sown variety. It was over the top of my hand at the weekend. Near 8.5 ft I reckon

Yes have one but try get away with out it till cows go in at night

theres plenty out there feeding maize with no feeder

If yey think the price now is bad. The Fonterra forecast price for next year is $7 a KG. I think that is 25 cents plus vat in our money.

Your some man to bring down the mood. 😉 I just want to hear about win wins and highly profitable....

I wonder would landowners accept sexual favours as payment or even part payment 🤔

Advisor is talking shite ….no feeder here ;lots feed space )feed it out with shear grab …zero issue

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I didn’t want to mention it but a dairy neighbour told me Tirlan will be close to 30c in Sept

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement