Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Just because your main interaction with the thread is to come in with link dumps that - you hope - paint Trump in a positive light?

Why on *earth* would people think someone who does that is a Trump supporter? Madness.

It's not about "support".

It's about taking a step back, putting partisan preferences to one side, and assessing the subject from a more objective standpoint.

Saying something that doesn't align with your perspective of Trump doesn't make that person a "supporter" of Trump.

It's a crazy type of "you're either with us or against us" mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,456 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

As I remember, you just posted the number and expected us to accept it unquestioned.

You can post all the pro-Trump stuff you want but the constant low effort digs and the victim narrative aren't going to convince anyone.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

As I remember, you just posted the number and expected us to accept it unquestioned.

You can post all the pro-Trump stuff you want but the constant low effort digs and the victim narrative aren't going to convince anyone.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

So he should not be subject to prosecution cause he's running... That's what it amounts to and sets a dangerous precedence on what a president can get away with.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Whilst 47% may believe the charges are politically motivated - And let's be fair of course there's a political element , a Republican appointed AG wouldn't go after Trump no matter what he did so the fact that the charges are being brought under a Democrat administration isn't exactly a coincidence.

Trump has absolutely done things worthy of charges being brought , however only Democrats would have the political will to level those charges.

48% of people believe that it is correct that he should be charged , including 45% of Independents.

90% of Democrats and 70% of Independents consider the charges to be serious.

If you remove Republican voters from the mix , the rest of the country overwhelmingly support charges being brought.

Not one poster has agreed with the ABC News poll I posted here last week that said 47% of Americans believed that the charges against Trump were politically motivated.

These people are all conspiracy theorists are they ? Or hair brained poorly educated with brain rot or perhaps sectioned ?

40% of Americans believe in creationism

Do you "agree with this poll?" lol

Yes hare brained and poorly educated with brain rot is a reasonable conclusion for these alleged ~47% folks.

This poll of yours doesn't evidence the prosecutions are politically motivated, nor does it demonstrate how you come to believe it is politically motivated. If this is your whole modus operandi for explaining why you think it is politically motivated all you're really saying is you have no idea, but other people are saying it, and you're just going along with a bandwagon.

Can you or any of the 47% actually demonstrate how and why you think it is politically motivated, like really? Please demonstrate the length and breadth of this conspiracy theory - did the Democrats knock out John Eastman on a plane, incept his dreams for a feature length amount of time and plant the idea of a seditionist coup in his mind? When did the political motivation start and what does it take the form of?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,371 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It's not about "support".

It's about taking a step back, putting partisan preferences to one side, and assessing the subject from a more objective standpoint.

Saying something that doesn't align with your perspective of Trump doesn't make that person a "supporter" of Trump.

It's a crazy type of "you're either with us or against us" mentality.

Given that he is running for the highest office in the US (Americans would say, in the world) and you believe he is unhinged, why are you defending him? Can you be proactive rather than reactive, give us a reasoned argument why we should even consider him an option for president?

There is nothing partisan about my arguments, I don't care at all which party runs the US, if Trump had stood as a Democrat and behaved the way he has I would still be of the same opinion about him.

I have asked before, when he was first elected, if there was anything, anything at all, to be said for him as a President, and got no replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It also sets a precedent for people to declare they are running for president and be immune to prosecution, even if someone actually believed this was a conspiracy to bring it to its logical conclusion declaring a presidential run would mean you can’t be prosecuted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

That's basically the question that I put above, which obviously has gone unanswered. If there's clear and obvious evidence of crimes committed, those crimes should be investigated and a prosecution should be laid if there's enough evidence. Which is what's happened here. Not charging Trump would simply set the precedent that a President is above the law and can do whatever they like.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

OH **** ANGELS ARE REAL?

This changes my whole world view.

....or maybe polls aren't substitutes for evidence of facts. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

You haven't explained how this is a political prosecution. You haven't addressed any of the crimes that are publicly known and were committed in plain sight (refusing to return classified documents for example). You have merely asserted claims that this is some kind of witch-hunt. Anyone can assert anything but backing it up with a little bit of reality is beyond many and that appears to be the case with you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

On what basis do you expect anyone to believe you put "partisan preferences to one side"?

Your refusal to engage with facts pointed out to you which contradict your statements, and consistent whataboutery when it comes to Trump's actions clearly demonstrate that you are not, in fact, putting any such preferences aside.

If you want to convince others of your credibility, please address the facts which counter your assertions.

And quit with the pearl clutching.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,710 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thats entirely it.

You can post all the Anti-Trump stuff you want but the constant low effort digs arent going to convince anyone.

As I remember it the poll was scoffed at because the link I posted was reported by Fox News.

Then when I outlined that it was an ABC News poll and ABC News leans left and it was owned by Disney the discussion went off on a tangent about Disney being Woke and the people who said Disney were woke were racists and very bad people indeed.

As I remember it the poll was scoffed at because the link I posted was reported by Fox News.

No, it was scoffed at because you're not providing any evidence for your claim. A poll of opinion is not evidence of a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I was referring to MrAnarchy's comment that people "accuse" him of being a Trump supporter. And I was pointing out the old maxim regarding ducks and what they walk and quack like.

You can both-sides it all you want but, once more, nobody is buying it.

And as I pointed out above, it was a single data point from a larger set of data that when viewed as a whole tells something of a different story in terms of the general perception of the indictments.

Outside of Republican voters, the vast majority of everyone else believes that the charges are both serious and fully warranted.

If any group are being "political" about the charges it is Republican supporters who in large numbers seem to feel that any attempt at the application of justice to "one of theirs" is an un-justified witchhunt regardless of evidence or facts.

Here's a question for you.

If the charges levelled at Trump are politically motivated and designed specifically to hinder/block him from running for President in 2024 what is your view on the ongoing Republican led House committee hearings regarding Hunter Biden and their thus far fruitless attempts at finding evidence of wrong-doing behalf of Joe Biden.

Are they "Politically motivated" and "designed specifically to damage his efforts at election in 2024" ??

• Advertisement

So we should decide who to prosecute based on polling? Multiple grand juries have found there to be sufficient evidence to prosecute for serious crimes. They are more aware than the general public of the evidence. You and Eskimo will basically reject any conviction, that's the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Anyone familiar with eskimo_hunt, oops sorry I mean rapidashes posting history is well aware of how far to the alt right they fall on the political spectrum. They changed their account name just to try and get away from some of the nonsense they posted before like claiming the motivation behind marcus rashford pushing the uk government to help poor kids with free food in school was because he was a pedophile on the same level as rofl harris and jimmy saville.

Super topical this morning, bashing his former AG because he demanded his AG conduct a bunch of politically motivated prosecutions.

The same AG has emphasized how serious the charges against Trump are, and that there is a there there.

Yes they are politically motivated, of course they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Why? State your reasons and evidence otherwise I don't think you'll be taken seriously (as you so crave)

Just repeating an opinion doesn't make it a fact though.

Can you prove it's politically motivated? No. The only person who made Trump stage a coup or steal classified documents or rape a woman is Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You aren't convincing anyone, because whenever someone challenges your posts, and you're unable to offer to rebut it, you hide behind your 'discussion' definition.

So if you don't respond, we can draw our own conclusion that your claims have no credibility.

The poll wasn't just scoffed at, the contradictions in it were outlined, and you had no answer.

Was there a reason why, when you referenced the poll, you left out these pertinent findings?

48 percent of the poll said the charges were legitimate.

Only 35 percent disagreed.

So who were the 47 percent who thought the charges were politically motivated.

It doesnt add up.

When I put this point to you several times... you offered zero response.

Here's the post you ran away from / refused to discuss last time out.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120947279#Comment_120947279

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

More bullsh*t.

Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, Mike Flynn, George Papadopoulos were all charged, tried and convicted (some pay have plead guilty) by attorney generals appointed by Trump.

Your continued misrepresenting of facts while saying things are blatant is what is most embarrassing.

Multiple grand juries have found there too be ample evidence to convict. The main motivation for Trump running again is the hope that it could prevent prosecutions. By your logic, he could run and lose each time to prevent these cases from seeing the light of day.

Why should we believe you're centrist at this point? You seem to absolve Trump of everything he did while in office and after leaving it. Meanwhile you're accusing Biden of things you have no evidence for and think he's evil for all his bold language. 🤣

• Advertisement

I was replying to Quindubs question "what is your view on the ongoing Republican led House committee hearings regarding Hunter Biden"

Do you think these committees are politically motivated ? Can you prove they are ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement