Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord bia inspection

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I worked with a chap during the days of headage payments & notches on blue cards. When discussing entitlements he told me he didn't have any. Said he'd an inspection and challenged the inspector, telling him that it was his taxes that was paying his wages, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My bord bia sign is faded. Will need a new one for next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭hopeso

Mine is too, and it's only up a couple of years..... I wonder who produces good quality signs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭older by the day

I got one of the kids with a permanent marker to fill it in. Passed fine. Don't forget a drum to do as a foot bath

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Talking about sheds cleaned out and dung: is it OK to have dung piled up in a field ready for spreading at this time of year?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I touched up the Bull sign with a black marker, then sprayed it with UV clear lacquer. Maybe do the same with any new signs before they fade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Contacted them today for initial sign up, no prep work done, better make a start in the morning 🤫

Spoke to an auditor today and my inspection is 5-Sept.

We’ll see how brave I am then 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭I says

I’m not doing an effing thing for this inspection when ya see the scutter I got marked for areas of improvement. Container for syringes not marked properly (it’s in a locked box locked in a filing cabinet locked in an office). Animal Health plan not up to date in bord bia farm book(kinda hard when the book out of date itself and no sign of new producers book). Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@I says but they are things you not will fail on. People have the wrong attitude to the audit. Its just a matter of passing it. Once the withdrawl dates are entered & kept too & there isnt any major H&S issues then you will pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Robson99

It's not the fail side of things that pisses people off ...it is the amount of silly rules and paperwork for no reward. .bring and overage beast with 6 movements to the mart when cattle are scarce and it doesn't make one bit if difference...bord bia qa my backside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭I says

It's just a box ticking exercise. Apparently your milk won't be collected if you're not compliant. I was trying to push mine out a bit until I've my new parlour done. But in the end it was just handier to get it done. Was told my milk wouldn't be collected after 10th of August and them crying out for milk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@Robson99 I hear you.. killed a bullock today because he was born the 14th Feb 21 reality is he would have been a super bullock if he was around for another 6 weeks & no difference in the meat or its final destination. But with prices falling and take 8 cent off him plus the listening to the cribbing from them when you book him in it was easier to let him go on today's load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭hopeso

My book is out of date too, so my health plan isn’t done for this year. Is it up to them to send a new book, or are we meant to request one?

If you have herd app you can do it there. The inspector ordered a new book for me. Will have it for next inspection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭straight

Bord bia is grand. I find the best way is to update the medicine book as you go along and you are always inspection ready. I had mine recently and I actually had forgotten about the appointment and I was spreading slurry at the time. I got the usual milk tank is dusty on the outside and no test report for the milking machine. A few withdrawals weren't 100%. Got 98% anyway which is way better than I'd be used to in other exams. It's no harm at all to have it to keep an eye on the small percentage of messers imo.

Just don't get too worked up about it. Must help out my father with his medicine book now soon and try to calm him down. One thing I would never do is pay someone to prepare for it.

You can download the book from the bord bia website. My last audit was all printed pages in a ring binder. He said not a problem. This year I'm using herd app so when he/she rings I'll be able to tell them to come on ahead.

As long as you keep on top of things and the place is fairly tidy then you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭green daries

No wages contract payment per person audited .....I would agree some are a pain in the nuts. But pass no heed on them

Imo there the least trouble that comes round the yard

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Aravo

And a lid on the foot dip bucket so the dog dosent drink from it.

• Advertisement

+1

I copy the audit pages and put them into ring binder. The animal health plan is a completed copy and I just add the year to the top.

If I make mistake on any page, I just remove that one page from ring binder and have it corrected.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭minerleague

Passed mine last week ( If I can anyone can! ). Only in it because I take cattle to finish and practically mandatory now in factories. A lot of requirements would annoy you and have no bearing on whether my cattle are fit to enter food chain. If a farmers cattle (or milk ) turned up testing positive for antibiotics or looked maltreated then I'd have no problem with that farmer facing inspections for a set period.

As posted above I downloaded some pages and printed them as medicine bought was in one farmbook, medicine used was in another, and health plan was in a third depending on how many lines were used. Think I'll copy idea to print off more and keep each year separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

At the Tullamore show I quizzed the senior Bord Bia person why they can't have the workbook online. The BB person stated not in their remit....blah blah blah. They had online audits during covid. Surely they could have the information to be submitted all online. I filled out the sustainability survey online and then spend the first hour of the inperson audit answering the same questions.

Herd watch created something that Bord Bia didn't have. BB should not have an online facility along with the paper based to suit everyone. All I can see is printing out and copying loads of paper when there is no need for it.

BB view themselves as great at seeing how you are doing but don't want to hear about their own performance.

I think farming these days is creating a lot of full time jobs for others in auditing, overseeing various schemes, even though the farmer is likely to be part time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭MANSFIELD

How did BB get the power that they could stop your milk being collected if you don't do the audit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

It's the Co-op who will stop collecting your milk, they can't sell their products as being Bord Bia approved if every supplier isn't approved. I'd hate to see some farmers Dairys/parlours if they weren't getting the audit every 18 months.

If people have an interest in what they are doing, then things will generally be rights. Are most dairy farmers not audited everyday as in, each supplier has a milk sample taken and tested each day.

BB used to last for 2 years, now it's 18mth. I've no doubt it will go to 12mths.

I don't recall BB or other sections related to agriculture holding their hands up when processed horse meat was being sold as processed beef. It was all nothing to do with me.

I'm sure some are a mess but as long as the milk tests OK, the lads who have the place shining don't get paid any extra for their trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭Base price

In fairness to BB their remit is to promote Irish food and beverages around the world.

Our FSAI (Food Safety Authority of Ireland) were the ones that discovered the horse meat in burgers/processed meat. They didn't try to hid it or sweep the results under the carpet but reported their results. When other EU countries (UK, France, etc) tested similar products they also found evidence of horse meat in products that originated in their respective countries.

• Advertisement

BB also audit processors who wish to have the BB quality label. I agree FSAI did a great job and showed up defecencies here and in other countries.

I think BB could do much better by assisting farmers in a process thats meant to help everyone.

I know for a fact that some BB employees do visit these pages to keep an eye on things, so help us out, pretty please.

Advertisement