Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Signed up to the community plan a month before my energia EV plan ends.

I've about 40% night usage based on current readings but that will change significantly as I charge my phev nightly over winter.

I saw during sign up that I can call them to postpone my supply date.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭fits

Let us know how you get on with that. I’m getting every last kw I can from that energia plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

What are Energia offering when the plan expires

they just keep emailing me to discuss mi want to have a bit of research done first before making the call

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

My energia ev plan expires early September, i got an email in recent days, which just says, to call them.

But i had already called them 2 weeks ago, i don’t recall the exact rates, but they were ridiculous high rates, and some meaningless discount, which still meant the day rate was circa 50 cent, night rate more than 20 cent.

Judging, from their response, and other peoples experiences, they are offering nothing, that is even remotely compeditive, so just waiting till it expires and i’l move then, probably to Flogas Community d/n, as its the best for me currently, as i don’t have PV, but i do have a d/n meter.

There is also new entrant to the market, but they have not launched yet.

What rates are you getting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Spoke to them yesterday as I’m also a few weeks away from the end of my Energia EV plan contract. I was offered 45.12c Day and 21.64c Night inclusive of discounts and VAT. Standing charge of €377 per annum. Told them I was going to have to switch to another provider and they were going to lose my business. She claimed they don’t have any better offer available at present.

Do you have to pay the €50 break fee by leaving a month early ? Might still be the best bet as nobody knows how long Flogas will have the community plan available.

I’m trying to find the flogas community deal people where talking about

the night rate is really high with them 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭crl84

Surely it's a day rate of 46.62c across all 3 plans?

Then whichever plan you choose, you get the associated benefit, eg. with the one you posted above, it's 6.92c during the 2am-5am window, and 46.62c all other times, as per image.

With the working from home (9am-5pm) option, it's 32.6c from 9am-5pm (46.62c*0.7, ie. 30% discount), 46.62c all other times

Family Time (6pm-10pm) is 27.9c from 6pm-10p (46.62c*0.6, ie. 40% discount), 46.62c all other times

If it was 80c or something, then that would have been the "Price all other times" on the image posted for the EV 2am-5am plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Advertisement

Yes, my misinterpretation,

its not a plan for my usage/setup, but might be for others, particularly worth investigating, for those with large PV setups.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

Signed up to the community plan with Flogas and requested a day/night meter but there's resistance to doing it especially as I signed up online and don't really qualify for the offer.

They mentioned they had customers request the meter but that ESB put them on a smart plan during the switch but that doesn't sound right to me. ESB have no control over what plan people go on do they?

I’ve a day/night meter

so far these are the rates I have found

Bord Gais : Day 46.64. Night 23.08

Electric Ireland: D 42.30 N 20.86

SSE D 41.88 N 25.00

Flogas D 41.33 N 20.03

all a huge jump from my current EV plan with Energia - who haven’t told me their new rates yet. So probably not great 🤣

if anyone has found a better deal ….

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If you go back a few pages there's links to the Flogas community offer which is lower than the rates you found

You can sign up online as well which is handy

EDIT: Found some of the links

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 65,380 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Registered my interest with them, will post here if I get an update.

thanks for the links

they don’t make it easy to find

had Flogas literally on my door step saying the community plan is not available to normal house’s 🤣

you have to be part of a community - have more than 1 house

Yeah it's supposed to be for teachers in community schools I think (certainly isn't obvious from the name) but nothing stops anyone from signing up

Unfortunately there's no online sign-up for the smart plan equivalent, so there's no way the plebs to sign up for that one

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Dozz

So I am just off the phone with ESB Networks.

They have said that it will be possible to switch out my Smart Meter (not activated) with a new Day/Night smart meter from September.

It has to be done through the energy supplier however if I was having any issues with the supplier to ring ESB Networks directly.

Hope this is of help to people

Someone posted a while back the d/n meters were out of stock, good to see they are coming back.

ESB networks have always been helpful, the obstacle to changing your meter, has always been the supplier, in many cases the customer agent does not have the knowledge, or, has incorrect knowledge , or, they are just actively discouraging customers, from changing their meter to d/n meter

These are common things, that have been told to customers(to others on here-and myself) requesting a meter switch to d/n meter

“You cannot switch to a d/n meter”

“There is a charge to switch meter”,which is incorrect, if it is your 1st time requesting a meter change

They accept the request, but do not put in the order with ESB Networks(once you they confirm they have requested the meter change, call esb networks the following day, to confirm they have the order)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Core6

That Pinergy 'EV Drive Time' rate isn't great.

The rate between 02:00 and 05:00 is good but the rate for the other 21 hours is high.

It definitely won't suit my usage profile.

It might suit others who have PV to cover the 21 hours or else a large battery which is charged between 02:00 and 05:00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭electricus

I had the same experience last year, ESB Networks were very helpful and advised contacting the regulator if the supplier continued to deny my request. Once the request was received they arranged the meter change within the same week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That was me, in fairness to Flogas they aren't obstructive in any way I just seem to have gotten caught in the changeover to the new meter. Does anyone know what the times will be on the new D/N meter? Will it be 11-8 or 12-9 ? Being a smart meter I'm assuming it will be able to change its time in March and October.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

Literally just off the phone to flogas and got the same horror story about someones meter been activated as a MCC16 instead of a MCC02 during the switch. I'm calling shenanigans.

So I rang esbnetworks after and they said they are putting in whatever MCC is requested from the supplier.

Now to go back to flogas to actually confirm the request. They don't make it easy do they?

I'd be tempted to upgrade to the 16kVA connection, up to an extra 12kWh per day of cheap electricity

€2k to upgrade, I wonder what the payback would be versus the Flogas night rate 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

Let me know if you make any headway on that. I suspect they know they've made a mess of things with so many people signing up using the link and are trying to limit the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Out of contract today with SSE. Current rates are as follows

Day - 0.30

Peak - 0.39

Night - 0.20 (Activ8 customer rate)

No info on my account on whether this will go up or not but I expect it will. Any good plans out there at the moment? I can't find anything close to what I'm getting currently.

12-9 now for “summer” and moves to 11-8 once the clocks change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

For the 2k is there any actual work or is it just a paper exercise?

Had to change the MIC where I work recently. Zero works, just a paper exercise, not far off 10k.

I'd say it depends on the house, newer houses are probably cabled for 16kVA so maybe just an upgrade of the fuse (80A to 100A I think)

Older house might need new wiring so could be expensive

You'd also need to upgrade the main fuse in the CU to get the benefit. Alternatively if you have a sub board for EV chargers beside the meter box then you could just upgrade that to get a bit extra headroom for the EV charger while the house is consuming a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,380 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

With 12kVA you can get 16MWh per year on the 5c tariff. Do you really need the 21MWh or so that a 16kva connection would bring? I suppose if you had a big enough battery and powerful enough battery inverter you could absorb and then dump to the grid.

Say 5000 kWh times price difference of (20c-5c) = €750 minus losses. But you would need to be able to take over 50kWh every day in 3 hours. I guess with my setup I actually could! And if the upgrade was cheaper than the €2k or so, I definitely would 😁

Advertisement