Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

So noone knows the BWG rates yet, I'm a bit reticent to try and sign up to something without knowing that! Think I'll hold off for a couple of weeks, our contract is up on Sep 4

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Here we go again. I think the big message people are sending out here in relation to the Flogas offers is not to ring up about it. It's unclear whether the offer is meant to be open to everyone and it's best to avoid the topic arising by doing things online...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

No one is going back further than about 2 pages on this thread. Every single day the same questions are asked over and over. "what does BWG mean" etc.

Just read back through the thread, theres some people that are basically just one step shy of asking you to sort it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Thanks for all the information here. Contract is up at end of Sept so I'll be watching this thread like a hawk.

Am also tempted by some of the free days for smart meters, it would suit me, but not sure I should switch to Smart tariff yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Anyone know if theres a difference between the BWG Rate and the Community Rate ?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

No need for the smart replies. I read back the last 5 pages and only saw one post regarding someone saying they were refused as they were asked for a dcc number. And there were no replies to his post. I don't have a full day to spare to read 100+ pages.

It seems it's a grey area as to whether it's open to everyone and people are afraid to mention it. And for your information I did the switch online , only rang as I needed to delay the switch which can't be done online

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This crops up every day in this thread. There were quite a few people who posted over the last couple of months saying they had signed up for the BWG scheme yet they haven't posted the rates. Maybe I missed something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Maybe the OP or a mod could put a warning in the thread title or in the first post in the thread as is done elswhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Buffman

Why is everyone still going on about BWG? It's over for now. Nobody can confirm current rates or even if the plan is still available to new sign ups becasue it's impossible at the moment. The rates are not currently online and if you ring them to ask they'll just tell you it's over or not available to you. The sign-up link posted a few pages ago might still be live, but I doubt anyone is going to volunteer to sign up for a plan with no advertised rates just to test the waters. Forget about BWG until it reappears online, if it does at all. Community is where it's at currently.

IIRC they were the same for everything except activated 'smart' plans.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Many thanks for that. I'm with SSE until November, but I'd say I'll take the €50 hit to switch to this.... will be worth much more over the year. This seems a good time to tie down a good gas rate for the next year, before winter starts to set in.... and nervy markets may push it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭the 12 th man

DO NOT RING FLOGAS if you want the rates mentioned here do it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭con747

You're talking to a brick wall. I am starting to think some say they rang just to wind us up.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I bit the bullet last night with a month to go on the energia EV plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭SteM

My guess is if I leave SSE early I'll be charged €50 for electricity and €50 for gas. Anyone know for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

Looks like €50 per service unless see below, I can't see the below in the PDF though.

Cancelling SSE if you're still in contract

However, SSE does have a “happiness guarantee”, which means you can cancel for free within the first 60 days if you aren't satisfied with the service. There is also no charge if you cancel by 5pm on the day before the service is due to start.

https://www.sseairtricity.com/assets/Terms/ROI/1YR-Dual-Fuel-1010-Terms.PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Yep, that's what I was charged.

One thing to note, if you were on the Budget plan with Airtricity - check the actual PDF bills to see whether you are in credit or whether you owe them money. When I checked, the web portal told me I was in €200 credit, the PDF bills said I owed €100!

Anyone who has moved to Flogas - I currently have a couple of bills with them. I'm set up for direct debit, but so far nothing has gone through. The Bills say "transaction date" of the 9th and 10th of August. Does that mean that's when they'll request the DD from my bank, and it will go through days later? Or is that the date the money will actually leave my account? Cos so far nothing has been taken, but I don't want to ring them if it's only presented to my bank on those days?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Did they hit you for 50 euro exit fee in same boat a month to go on ev plan

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Ive to wait and see. Only signed up last night.

I switched from electric ireland to the EV plan a month early last year and was hit with the 50e. Its still a win even when that's factored in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

does anyone know the current waterpower rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MickH503

Post #3951 has the Waterpower rates up to July ... https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120941239/#Comment_120941239

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Is there anywhere online to compare tariffs like for like on all aspects, I think some of the consumer groups should do this,

My contract is up with EI near end of September, and while EI sent me an email, they highlighted my current rate and SC, and my estimated annual bill (EAB) based on 4200kwh usage which Im way above, what they didnt do was highlight the rate Id be going to, only that the EAB would be 25% more, nothing about tariff price or SC. While I was considering moving to a smart tariff plan so I could avail of a low night rate and a 2 hr boost window at almost half that price, Ive been reading there may be better on offer.

Im happy that EI pays CEG every billing cycle (1 bill so far with it included since solar installed), rather than what Ive heard about BG or Airtricity, who dont.

I saw Flogas mentioned in the thread and an offer, but I couldnt see that anyone even knew what the tariffs were or even when people signed up what they might be? I dont have the time to review multitudes of pages and posts to find out what their tariffs are so if anyone knows? also their website shows rates that are only marginally better than standard rates or in some instances substantially worse than EI. Anyone come across a better rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

If you’re happy with ei and don’t have time to read a few pages on boards then carry on 👍🏻

The internet isn’t for everyone

Post #4092 on this page has the information you are looking for so no need to have to read back too far really. Read the posters signature for more advise about smart meters. Also if you don't read back you will not see the advice is NOT to ring for the offer only sign up online. Flogas pay FIT per billing cycle @ 0.24c inc vat.

Post edited by con747 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Post numbers are meaningless when viewing the site on mobile as they're not displayed

It was more an example of just how far back someone would have to read to get the information relevant to their question, now it doesn't fully answer the question but it is the best offer available so should be sufficient given the question regards their best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Very annoying there's no post numbers on the mobile version, I rarely, if ever, use the desktop version as it's very cumbersome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

Click view Desktop Site on your mobile browser. Post numbers are more helpful then nobody pointing you in the right direction. Nobody is a child here and shouldn't need to have their hand held to find the information. Muffler has a post with all the rates. That's the entire thread tbh.

Advertisement