Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Sorry started a new thread, should have posted here, apologies:

For background we live in an A rated house, heat pump and own a large battery EV. 99% of our energy use is electric with a small gas bill for a fire thats used a little over winter. We use around 14,000 KWH annually.

The house is E/W split and the front roof isnt really suitable for panels, someone has taken a look and reckons we can get 13 420w Jinko panels on the roof eith a Huawei inverter. So total system size 5.46kw, estimated 4,897 KWH generation per year (who knows i guess).

My queries are:

a) is a net price of 6.9k for this system reasonable

b) should i also look at adding a battery as we are also on day night rate so im thinking we could try and minimise daytime unit usage between solar and battery

c) or is the battery just uneconomical given the restrictions on how many panels i can get?

We only plug the car in once a week so i dont really see the excess solar being diverted to it, i guess im worried about wasting the excess but given we are relatively high usage the cost beneft of a battery may not stack.

any thoughts appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

With usage like that averaging 40kwh per day. Which I would have to assume is heavily weighted towards winter; might be more like 50-60 kWh in winter and 20-30 kWh per day in summer; mainly due to the heat pump.

You can never have enough panels with a demand like that; I’d strongly advise fleshing out if you can get any panels at all onto that. Maybe you can post some details and we can advise.

Any excess you will be paid for; so don’t worry about that. You will get paid .21 cent per kWh exported.

a.) It’s not a bad price and it’s not a good price. You can prob do better if you keep shopping.

b.) battery will push up the price significantly; it will allow you to charge at the night rate; and then use that power during the day in winter; Also it will allow you to to charge from solar and use that at night.

c.) you could get a whopper battery and charge it from the grid at night rate to offset the demand of your heatpump during the day in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

are you aware that there's a FIT \ CEG (feed-in tariff \ clean energy guarantee) payment for exported surplus units - it's 'deemed' based on your inverter rating, or based on your metered export.

are you on a Day\Night meter & tariff currently?

re. batteries, nearly everyone on here agrees that non-DIY batteries won't pay for themselves so financial logic now is to export & get paid for your surplus units to balance your imported units.

same goes for Eddi or similar DHW diverter, just boost the hot water (manually ad-hoc or scheduled) using off-peak or surplus solar.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

yes, the car has an 86KWH battery so that remains constant, probably taking one full fill a week on average but the heat pump usage very heavily weighted to winter.

im not too well up on the exported units, is that subject to change?

am currently on a day night meter and tariff.

ok so battery makes no sense financially?

• Advertisement

are you saying see if i can get more panels? what info would help in that regard?

ESBN have stated that they will start replacing all existing D\N meters next month with specific D\N-configured smart meters so you can get metered export but stay on a D\N tariff so watch that space as well.

but yeah, at this stage, I don't reckon anyone getting a new install would go for a off-the-shelf battery but.. horses for courses!

and if you have a large EV battery, does it include V2H capability?, could be worth looking into in the future (in conjunction with a compatible wall charger).

Post edited by jkforde on

would be good to get a smart meter that will allow d/n tariff. Does that mean your export is then actual rather than deemed? still at 21c? or that changes too?

No V2H, would be a very nice option even just for the occasion power cut. sometime hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Can you get more panels anywhere else like a flat roof or a large shed roof? As others have said here the more you have, the better. I've had winter days as low as 1kWh for the whole day - you'll likely need 50kWh a day on the coldest days in a pure electric house (pure guess).

You can oversize the panels to the inverter. On E/W you'll never get 100% of the output from the panels at the same time due to the sun angle. I've an E/W split. So a 5.5kW inverter can take somewhere close to 8kW. But...ask your installer to check the max it can take - they can see that in the inverter specs based on the panel output. Having say 8kW of panels means you'll be closer to generating the max of 5.5kW the inverter can take. It's a bit like a bigger engine in a car. It can accelerate much quickly (size of panels) to the speed limit (inverter limit).

Cheap night rate (instead of a batttery):

When you say you only charge the car once a week, is that a choice? Or is it in the driveway during the day (when sun is shining) and you could charge but don't? If you've a Zappi already it can take solar excess. If you don't have a Zappi, don't bother as it's ~€1500 supply and install and you won't get the €600 grant as you've a charger already I assume. Instead charge it each night when you get a cheap night rate. Don't leave it to charge only once a week or it will be charging outside the cheap rate (as will need longer to run).

There's a separate thread here on heat pumps and people have successfully used cheap night rate to start to heat the house and water. Helps if you've UFH and a well insulated hot water tank (to hold the heat).

Then you load up all else you can run at night on that cheap rate. Dishwasher, washing machine.... Once that's lower than the 21c FIT, using it at night makes more sense.

• Advertisement

thanks,

not sure we could get more panels but will ask, there is a lean to at the back that could take some,

charging once a week is by choice, it could be plugged in to take excess but if the export payment is same as night rate then probably just a hassle. I have the charger on a timer so it only charges during night rate hours.

i must look at the heat pump thread as we have UFH and insulated tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Hi All, what do ye make of this quote?

12 x 410w panels      

5KW standard inverter and all fittings

No battery and no hot water diverter.

€4850 after grant

6.96kwp South facing

fair price imo.. as always, keep an eye on install quality and after install support (e.g. any necessary SEAI grant approval remediation)... AND make sure your NC6 form is correctly dated and confirmed with ESBN

• Registered Users Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭con747

As far as I know these are the FIT rates but some might have changed.

SSE Airtricity 24 cents/kWh Pinergy 21 cents/kWh Energia 18 cents/kWh Electric Ireland 21 cent/kWh Bord Gais 18.5 cent/kWh Flogas 24 cents/kWh.

Once you activate a smart meter you are stuck on smart plans forever or even access the the data on some suppliers portals you can unknowingly activate it. Enter any panel amount in here to see how much they should generate https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html you need to enter each orientation individually and then add them together. See if this plan could help https://www.flogas.ie/flogas-community-plan-electricity-fixed-1-yr.html Only sign up online if you are interested, don't ring or they will say you can't get it. Thread here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058235650/switching-electric-gas-providers#latest

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Seventy Plus

This seems a good quote? Would appreciate Views of others

Ginglong Solis Inverter 4.3 Kwp E7,375 or 5 Kwp E7,675

5 Jin Ko Panels on SE and 5 also on SW

430 Watt 1134x1762

BER included in price

No Battery; Diverter; or anything else

Quote excludes SEAI Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

Almost €2k/kwh, if panels ever simultaneously produced their full output. Because the panels are effectively flat relative to South, they will on Average be at 56° to the suns rays, which reduces the effective surface area to 56% of perpendicular to South. You would need a few more each side, more like 8 to 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭kaymin

Would be grateful for opinions on the following quote and also whether the number of panels is sufficient and if anything else would be worth getting that has been excluded - for parents living in a 5-bed semi-d. Strikes me as expensive compared to what others are getting for similar money.

6 panel system (2.43kwp) which would roughly produce 2400kwp per year

Sunpower 405Watt World leading Solar Panel, with 25 year performance warranty. Shingled panel 

Van Der Valk fixings

Huawei 5kw Hybrid inverter with a 10 year warranty

1 extra shunt, two location installation; 1 x slate roof install

Huawei Solar App

Smart PV Optimisers

Includes BER

Cost 7795

Grant 1920

Cost after grant 5875

Thanks in advance

Try get more panels if they can fit them to avail of the full grant €2400 but that quote is expensive. Put it into the calculator http://davidhunt.ie/solar/ Also why do you need optimiser's. Don't mind the sales talk of "world leading" Nearly all tier 1 panels are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Basically, the hardware and fixings make up 25% of the quote, and the other 75% is labour and profit margin. If you treble the number of panels, your overall costs will only increase marginally. Cost of 2 men on the roof and sparks to connect up system is same for 6 or 18, so economies of scale come into play. Max out the hardware and bargain out the rest. Can do better, elsewhere.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Advertisement

It is not possible to put any more than 5 Panels on SE and a slight chance of 6 on the SW

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hierro

To me, that's a good quote. Can you let us know who that was with.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

What Panels and what Inverter are they proposing to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

I just wanted to say thanks to all the many contributors on this thread.

I started out looking at solar PV in Feb 2022. I knew very little about prices, sizing etc and found some great information on here.

For a variety of reasons, my system was only commissioned a few months back. I was initially going to get Solar done as part of retrofitting works but got caught up in the One Stop Shop fiasco so I decided to get the solar done separately. I paid the deposit last September and prices had increased quite a bit from the initial pricing I got the previous February. I got my first electricity bill today with a balance of €5 in credit😁

For anyone interested, my final price for an 8 KWp system with 10 KWh of batteries, EDDI but no BER was €12,500. A big bonus on the long delay was I paid no VAT as the final install date was after the 1st May. Another advantage of the delay was I maxed out the panel size as I had many months to consider the various plusses/minuses.

My best days were in June when I was hitting 55KWh per day. Total generation for that month was just over 1 MWh. July was terribly but I still managed 888 KWh.

While we can't mention companies by name here, my installation was carried out by a well known NI outfit. There was a long waiting time but I'm glad that company did the job, the system has been working flawlessly. A friend of mine got a local company to do his system and the quality of the works was shockingly bad.

Solar is a no-brainer. If you have access to the funds then every house should get it done.

Same installer, can't fault them. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

I take it that it was my Enniskillen guys..?

Mine still purring away almost 4 years in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

I sent the boss a screenshot of your review. Although he won't know any names, I reckon he'll know who you are. Good to hear you're happy with your system anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

Great to hear, if you don't mind me asking, how long was wait for install?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement