Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And I'm reading its just a port. Fans wanted it redone in the RDR2 engine, Rockstar go the cheap route again. People will still buy it in droves. And at $50, the robbing bastards.

"The port is not a remaster or a remake but does include newly supported languages..."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wouldn't have thought it'd get the full RDR2 treatment, but I definitely would have expected a bit more than a port. I guess it's mostly just a case of the game having been stuck in limbo on the PS3 and not being on Switch that this is just a way of getting playable on modern consoles (where it's already playable on Xbox).

Still seems a little lazy, but given the GTA Definitive trilogy, maybe better to do as little as possible to f*ck things up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is it finally coming to pc?

Edit: Instead of being lazy I googled and no mention of PC. Also no Xbox version is very weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It's on the Xbox store and I can play it on my 360/One/Series X.

It's crazy that it's not coming to PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Xbox version already has boosted backwards compatibility I believe? If it’s still available to buy digitally it’d be pretty redundant re-releasing it if it’s a fairly straightforward port. No PC version is odd though.

I do think there is a place for more traditional ports of games - remaking a game does fundamentally change the experience, and while it can be done well there’s also a lot to be said for keeping the original version available (with simple resolution / FPS / performance bumps and quality of life tweaks). Still, 50 quid is “a bit much” for a pretty bog-standard re-release - and I certainly wouldn’t rush to a Rockstar re-release until Digital Foundry has had its say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,810 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jesus, Rockstar, not even a remaster ye lazy **** but to charge 50 for it is just cheeky.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

No way I'd be parting with 50 quid for a game I beat before the 2010 World Cup started.

If it was reduced it would be a decent purchase but no way is it worth 50 quid.

Rockstar feels like a zombified version of itself in recent years, I think Red dead redemption 2 will probably end up as the last good game they release.

Ten years and counting and three console generations with GTAV (the game you buy to get access to Online so you can give them more money for old rope) and the leaked footage of GTA6 looking like more of the same doesn't paint a fantastic picture of Rockstar going forward.

All the creative talent is more or less gone and the accountants have taken over the show at Rockstar.

They were a fantastic developer once, everything comes to an end eventually though.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,810 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is a brilliant video from Mighty Keef about Rockstar wanting their devs to make gta trilogy with minimum effort for maximum profits. Video still holds up with RDR last gen announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The infinite money cheat that is GTA Online has made Rockstar too big to fail and they know it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Rockstar don’t deserve much credit thanks to various crappy business practices, but they do at least deserve some leeway around the leaked GTA6 footage. It was clearly extremely early pre-pre-alpha footage that wasn’t destined for public consumption. I don’t think it’s possible to at all judge the game based on that. I think RDR2 is pretty rubbish and that sets my expectations low for their next game… but they at very least deserve to be judged on the finished game rather than stolen internal test footage.

That said, they really are ripping the piss with how much they’re charging for barebones or, worse, half-assed re-releases.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

The build of the game isn't really the issue, it's more the fact that the concepts are just rehashed stale and uninspired.

The narrative was supposedly much more complex a few years back before the decision was made to scrap the work that had been done and head in the "Bonnie & Clyde" direction it went with as seen in the leaks.

Maybe it will be amazing, I'd love if it was, but in all liklihood GTA6 single player will just be window dressing for the next iteration of GTA Online, a product so devoid of purpose it boggles the mind how so many are still invested in it.

I've bought every GTA on launch day since GTA2, I don't see myself buying GTA6 in a hurry, granted mostly because it's still more than two years away to begin with.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ha.

XBox One X, Series X has 4K / 30 FPS RDR1 already for a tenner in sales. They will probably pump up the price now.

I have this and was holding off playing in case a better version came out.

And I have a way to play it in fake 60 FPS now on my OLED TV. Works beautifully for TOTK, so it'll be grand for this. 😁 Or at least I will try.

I think RDR2 is a really tedious game at times, BUT it is an incredibly beautiful cowboy/western simulator. It's still the best looking Series X game and it's last gen.

I know RDR1 is supposed to be a much tighter experience, so ... glad I don't have to spend any more money, but a missed opportunity to remake the game with the RDR2 engine, and set the scene for a trilogy.

I dunno, I just think what has been leaked is nowhere near a final or judgement-ready state. I’m just as frustrated with Rockstar’s outdated design ethos, but I also don’t think we know anything near enough about GTAVI as an actual video game to make any judgements. Very possible they were using old GTAV mechanics to merely test out engine stuff and basic ideas, for example.

I’m just as skeptical about Rockstar as you are, albeit with the caveat that they’ve had a bit of a creative shakeup recently. Still, I’m very much someone who thinks it’s fair to assess something on its final form rather than some leaked early-mid development videos :)

°°°°°

My issue wasn't with the mechanics or the visuals, rather the premise of the narrative. It just seems dull and formulaic.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I mentioned this game was teased but this video shows a lot more of the then teased Shadow of the Ninja Remake. Tengo project have been doing incredible work with these Natsume remakes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

We know absolutely nothing about what the narrative will actually be though beyond some rumours which just state it's "inspired by Bonnie & Clyde" which seems to be nothing more than an extrapolation of the fact that there is a male and female protagonist and they are criminals. The story could be literally anything at this point.

°°°°°

The fact that a more complex narrative was jettisoned is a worry.

Rockstar could have just gone with a female protagonist without much fuss, plenty of blokes have been playing games like Tomb Raider since before GTA even existed so there's really no need to to ease gamers into a female playable character even if GTA has avoided that for it's entire history for some reason.

The fact that the creative talent that built Rockstar has all but completely left the company is the problem here, modern Rockstar are proving to be a different animal to what we knew previously, this will be their first new game released under the new structure and their temptation has been to do as little as possible over the last couple of years, which sets my expectations lower than they've ever been.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

My expectations are pretty low of it too considering how unrelentingly tedious I found RDR2 in comparison to the first one.

Nintendo with some straight up bullshit patent applications that include Links abilities that were taken from other games and transfer of momentum, aka, how moving platforms have been coded since the dawn of videogames.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

As have Sega(camera transitions) and Bandai Namco(games on loading screen)

Some leaks about the rumoured PS5 slim. Of course unconfirmed but I have to love the, eh, language used to describe how it looks. If true we might have a console that could challenge the PS2 as the ugliest console ever.

Quake 2 remaster announced at Quakecon and available now on all platforms.

Includes both mission packs, a brand new mission pack and Quake 2 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

It's also free on steam if you own Quake 2 already.

It looks and runs fantastically.

Runs a bit wonky on the MS Store version. It refused to play fullscreen on my pc and they've removed the recoil on the machinegun.

Only played the first stage but running butter smooth on steam.

Yeah, Steam version ran without that issue of not running in fullscreen, the machinegun recoil is still gone though. I know the recoil was very strong in the original, much higher than modern standards but there's still no need to remove it altogether.

• Advertisement

PS1 and 2 look fine, classic even, then 3, 4, 5 are fugly awkward things to me. Not sure what Sony were smoking when they designed these. 5 must be the ugliest console ever. Especially next to a Xbox Series S or X. But it does not affect sales one bit. Playstation owns the home console market and mindshare, especially now that Nintendo has a hybrid only offering.

Advertisement