Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think this is going to be their first blended release. If he puts the same effort into this as he has his previous cask-finished single malts and single pot stills, it'll be well worth trying. I'd say it was in the pipeline for a while and the hurling connection is just clever, opportunistic marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

There should be an annual award at this stage for the whiskey with the biggest bullshit backstory.

plenty of contenders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Opened my 2nd bottle of Dingle batch 6 (not cask strength-46.5%) last night.

Jeez it's a gorgeous thing. €70 a bottle, well worth it for me.

Not sure how long it'll last. Previous bottle got killed within a fortnight!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I had a similar experience with Batch 5!

Planning to have a drop of their Bealtaine release later, alongside Drumshanbo's pinot noir single pot still and a little sample of Red Spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Jaysus that's what I call a good night in.

Please report back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭adaminho

Working all weekend but heard great reports from a customer on the new lúnasa!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Had a sample of the jameson pot still. Very nice but if I was buying a bottle I'd spend the extra for a blue spot or get a redbreast 12 for the same price give or take 5 euro. Understand redbreast is 40% and jameson is 46% but taste wise redbreast is better. Will definitely be watching the price when there's sales though

I had a bit of Buyer's Remorse before when I got the pinot noir finish. Took my time with it last night, read the tasting notes, savoured it properly and enjoyed it a lot more.

Had the Red Spot second. I've found with this one that I enjoy it best in tiny sips after having already had something else. The quality only really shines through for me when I can contrast it with another drink.

The Dingle was the strongest of the 3 but is still very enjoyable neat at 52.5%. Can't wait to compare it to the Lughnasa next week.

Glenallachie 12 sample tonight. Outstanding

I love irish whiskey and I know they're different styles but if we're talking fruity 12 year olds this has reconfirmed the scots are leading until we get some more distilleries aged up.

Glenallachie, aberlour 48% and bunnahabhain are my new top 3, knocking redbreast out. Glendronach 5th just cause it's the other one I can think of.

Afterthought yellow spot

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Glenallachie 12 is a brilliant, brilliant whisky - I must get another bottle, actually... It's been too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Only £40 in London City airport!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

LCY regularly has some of the best prices I've seen in UK airports.

Love that coffey grain. Just the sweetest, fruitiest, easiest sipping whisky. Had a bottle from the canaries a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I picked up a bottle of Deanston 10 year old Bordeaux finish at Heathrow for £33 and it's a lovely drop. Great value for money

Sometimes working on Tuesday after a Bank Holiday has its benefits!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Whilst it’s not whiskey it is whiskey flavoured and it’s real smooth and on special in SuperValu at the moment.

Sheep Dog peanut butter and whiskey flavoured liquor. Got it as a present on Father’s Day and it’s almost finished. Saw it on special tonight for €20 and grabbed two bottles 😬

Float a bit of Baileys on top like a baby guinness, one of my local bars sell it as "Dee's nuts" named after the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Got my hands on a bottle of Blue Spot.

This is definitely my favourite of that range. I just find it deep, complex and interesting.

Drinks lovely at 58.9% and takes water really well if you aren't a fan of very strong spirits.

I really like this. It's a flavour bomb!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

i put a massive dent in my bottle over Christmas and now I'm afraid to go near it I suppose I should just drink it though

I'm a firm believer that whiskey is for drinking. On the other hand, it keeps well, though. 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you have a small sample bottle empty, put a dram into it ... then finish rest of the bottle.

In a while you can return to it \ compare it with another offering.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

That's such a breathtakingly simple idea, but I've never thought of it. Genius!

I'll start doing that with my nicer bottles as they run low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Red Spot, hard to beat imo

From memory and a single tasting, I was disappointed in Red Spot. Didn't seem much of a step up from Yellow spot to me. I really like the yellow but for me the blue is the most interesting (haven't tried gold).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I got a bottle of that blue but it's just too strong, overwhelming. Won't get another one.

Add some water.

It's what they do when they bottle most whiskies (even, so called cask strength, quite often). It isn't a sin and might allow you enjoy this bottle.

I liked the blue spot. A lot

But my favourite is the green spot wine finishes. Montelena and leoville. Haven't tried the quails gate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Great idea about saving a sample for future comparisons. I’ll be doing that in future.

Advertisement