Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

So far 76,175 Ukraines have come to Ireland, the figures people are using most on this thread are from the CSO and they only go up to April 2022. There's always a lag in these kind of stats

At that stage only 28,000 Ukraines had arrived. So the figures, which have caused such a stir here are broadly similar to those of the supposed paragon of broader control, Denmark. Who had 121,000 immigrants, 63,000 emigrants giving a net migration of 58,000.

Where did you get that 46% figure?

Our percentage of immigrants is 17 % of the population, 46% of immigrants arrived in the last 5 years alone .

"Ireland is in 7th place in the OECD in terms of the share of immigrants in its population, with the foreign-born accounting for 17% of the total population. 46% of them arrived in the last 5 years compared with 22% on average across OECD countries. "

https://www.oecd.org/migration/integration-indicators-2012/keyindicatorsbycountry/name,218334,en.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

We have taken more UKR refugees than Austria, DK, Finland, FR, NO, SE.

We are an unbelievably generous country.

Average workers can be reassured by this as they face 48.5% marginal income tax on any income over 40k, probably the highest rate on the lowest entry point across the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Again, in putting out that figure without breaking it down you're doing the same trick that some immigration NGO adjacent posters on here, conflating legal and illegal immigration in a bid to muddy the waters. According to Statistics Denmark

"In 2022, 31,600 people immigrated to work – an increase of 24 per cent. Compared to the previous year. It is also the highest number who have immigrated to work since 1997 when the census began. In the previous ten years, an average of 21,200 people per year immigrated with a residence permit for work,” the statement of Statistics Denmark reads."

These represent mainly EU and UK. Denmark also operates a skills policy allowing people with specific skills to immigrate in order to address skills shortages. They also have registered a high number of foreigners who entered the country for study purposes. Throw in Ukraine into the situation and that ups the numbers. There's also the fact that 18,000 who immigrated had Danish citizenship i.e. were returning to the country and then it doesn't look the same as it does if you just say 121,000 immigrated to Denmark. Here's a quote from the Guardian about the current situation.

"The number of refugees seeking asylum in Denmark has dropped steadily to just over 1,500 applicants last year from a peak of more than 21,000 in 2015, when more than a million refugees mostly from the Middle East and Africa made it to EU shores."

Think of it like turning an ocean liner, it happens slowly, but it does happen. As you can see it has support throughout the political spectrum.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/03/denmark-passes-law-to-let-it-relocate-asylum-seekers-outside-europe

"The new law will allow Denmark to move refugees from Danish soil to asylum centres in a partner country for case reviews and possibly their protection in that country. If you apply for asylum in Denmark you know that you will be sent back to a country outside Europe, and therefore we hope that people will stop seeking asylum in Denmark, Rasmus Stoklund, the government party’s immigration speaker, told the broadcaster DR on Thursday."

That is one of the new laws that Denmark has brought in as well as excluding applicants from Danish Citzenship if they are convicted of a crime or even have a suspended sentence.

So putting that in context I don't think it's quite the gotcha you were going for.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Thread is about immigration, all immigration. If the numbers of people immigrating into a country is concerning then surely that includes all immigrants?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

You really have to step back and savour the logic here.

Because East Wall has had issues with anti social behaviour why should they object to the conditions being created for even more on top of that. They'll hardly notice.

And the flip side presumably being that Ballsbridge with much less in the way of anti social behaviour should be helped preserve it's near perfect record by keeping these people out.

What issues have arisen since they moved the people into the disused building?

I have heard of lots of issues lately in the Dublin 1 area, none included the new arrivals ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Could I as where you are getting your information from. Most governments, I would have thought, do excercise some form of control over those who enter their country. I don't know of any country that has complete open borders to the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

On the contrary, immigration restriction itself has gone on for centuries and millennia.

In Medieval Trade Guilds (1930) by Mary A. Brunning, the author points out that King Edward I (1239-1307) wanted to bring in European immigrants to England but the trade guilds objected on (what we would now call) protectionist grounds and effectively went on strike. Edward backed down.

More recently the USA passed the Immigration Act of 1882 and the Immigration Act of 1924.

In the UK, there were debates around eastern European immigration from 1898 onwards. Keir Hardie (a famous early leader of the Labour Party) and the Glasgow Trades Council campaigned against the admittance of more Lithuanian miners to Ayshire in 1906 beause they believe Scottish mine owners were opportunisitically expanding the labour pool in order to drive down wages.

These are just examples that I happen to have come across in my reading. A comprehensive history of immigration restrictionism would reveal many more pieces of legislation.

Oh, I'm all for breaking down the figures, lets start with the near record breaking net migration figure released by the CSO which started this "debate". If you remove the 28,000 UKraines from the net migration figure of 61,000 you get 33,000. Which is more less the same number as 2018 and 2019 - then we had a pandemic.

You're lauding Denmark for having registered "a high number of foreigners who entered the country for study purposes". Well, we increased our education permits by a whopping 146% last year. I'm sure you're delighted. We also have a labour shortage, the worst in 17 years. We significantly increased the number of work permits issued too.

We did have a spike in asylum applications last year, but that was a spike as seen by the large drop in applications over the last 5 months. In 2021 we had the 17th least number of asylum applications relative to population in the EU. Just ahead of 19th placed Demark.

Post edited by Ahwell on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

I posted an article the other day about how Sweden filled their boots with refugees and is now the gun crime capital of Europe.

Surprisingly enough people don't want that replicated here even though the government ain't listening. Last poll I saw said 76% of those polled said we had taken enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes.

Much of the immigration into Ireland in 70s was Irish people who had emigrated earlier.

2021, the height of COVID with airports closed n the world locked down? Interesting year to pick!

They're counted in the net migration figures as immigrants.

So you're suggesting that all refugees are criminals ?

No one has suggested that for a second.

But take a look at what happened Sweden. It went from being one of the safest countries in Europe, to now one of the most dangerous.

In 2021, a study found that of 3039 offenders aged 15–60 convicted of raping over 18 years of age in the 2000–2015 period, 59.2% had an immigrant background and 47.7% were born outside Sweden.

You will presumably downplay this effect.

But everyone else can see the risks that mass immigration can pose to European countries. There's absolutely no reason to assume Ireland is going to somehow get away with it, to somehow become the exception. Nobody wants what has happened to Sweden to happen here. That's not to say that all immigrants / refugees are criminals. That would be a stupid thing to say.

It's to say, look at the consequences of the same policy elsewhere in Europe and ask ourselves: do we really want the same thing to happen to our country?

Most people don't want it.

• Advertisement

Tbh I'm more interested in present day numbers than 2014, a lot have countries have raised the drawbridge in the last 10 years leaving us as an outlier imo. I know the government belatedly sent immigration officials to some European airports to stem the tide this year.

Does anyone have the average number of family each refugee family reunification consists of? That's the multiplier n the real number each asylum seeker snowballs into.

Total number of international protection claims per year - 2021 2,649, 2020 1,566, 2019 4,781, 2018 3,673, 2017 2,926. All those numbers will be below the EU average relative to population.

So the notion that "a lot have countries have raised the drawbridge in the last 10 years leaving us as an outlier" is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭seenitall

Wasn’t it in the news recently that the majority of the recent asylum seekers entered the country “without challenge” (i.e. through the North)?

Both these routes need to be tackled somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Posters talking about others conflating immigrant numbers with refugees.. This is the IMMIGRATION thread. The strictly asylum seeker thread is available also elsewhere.

Also claims that posters who post stats are immigration NGO adjacent...

Why say that about posters who are discussing the issue and posting links which are on publicly available immigration figures and that we '"are muddying the waters "?

You could not get clearer than some of the graphics on Irish immigration posted here by Ahwell.

Also I and others have pisted CSO links which clearly show the breakdown in numbers of immigrants to April 22 which is all that is available in any detail.

I think however your post above is" muddying the waters " talking about Denmark..

How is this related to our immigration and what solutions do you bring apart from the usual "no more" to the table?

That's why I was asking if anyone had the average number of family reunifications per asylum seeker.

Ireland had over 13k asylum seekers last year if the average family repatriation, was, say 5 people ( seems realistic to me) that's a grand total of 78k. Only in NGO clown world is that sustainable!

In 2022, 13,651 asylum applications were lodged. This figure represents the highest number of applications ever made in a year. In comparison, 2,649 applications were lodged in 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This has been discussed before.

It would require a hard border returning, which would cause more harm to Ireland.

And the numbers are coming right back down again, as I said it was a spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

Just about everything gone wrong in the country is down to the utterly unjustified, nevermind explained, push to increase the population via whatever means available.

It has been a highly profitable venture for the few, and a highly destructive venture the majority.

The only feasible solution is to aggressively depopulate back down to normal capacity.

This phenomenon of importing extra people to inflate demand and thereby increase profitability of owning necessary infrastructure is at boiling point across a slew of countries. And no guesses for which are included and which aren't.

It IS as simple as that and it's the worst kept secret across the nation. Occams razor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

@Goldengirl 3:38pm "Posters talking about others conflating immigrant numbers with refugees.. This is the IMMIGRATION thread. The strictly asylum seeker thread is available also elsewhere."

Discussing international protection applicants I would regard as on topic here as they make up part of the inward migration picture. The converse, i.e. discussing inward migration generally in a thread specifically about asylum seekers would be off-topic, but that is not the case here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement