Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the 'main' difference is stockdale hasnt done it for 4 years, whereas lowe has been very consistent since 2019.

so Stockdale is POTENTIALLY as good as Lowe, but does that mean that he is equally as good as Lowe currently, and therefore a valid comparable option?

well no, hes not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

What in the world has Stockdale done over the last 4 years to show that there's "not a huge difference" between him and Lowe?

If a Leinster player's form dips even slightly for a few months, people are demanding they be dropped. We saw it with Ryan, Conan, Ringrose and we're seeing it with Furlong currently. Yet Stockdale can do absolutely nothing for 4 years, runs into touch twice and misses an easy tackle leading to a try. While Lowe performs consistently at a very high level, playing a key role in a very successful period for Ireland, scoring vital tries, and yet apparently there's "not much between them"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I was agreeing with you. I said that he was integral to one element of our game, but that we can win without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ljsulster

The whole Stockdale hasn’t done anything since 2018 thing is rubbish.

He didn’t score as many in 2019 and 2020 but was still making big plays.

Missed all but 1 2021 six nations with injury, was straight back in scoring in the summer of 2021 before missing the rest of that year and 3/4 of 2022

Yes he’s not playing as well as what he was but give him a chance to get full fitness and confidence back

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It's about having an objective assessment of him, rather than defaulting to the extremes. Balacoune had an equally decent performance vs SA in Nov, yet hasn't been given another look in, despite performing better than Stockdale for Ulster imo.

I don't see Stockdale offering the play making contributions that Farrell and Catt clearly value. Larmour has played better this season and didn't get a look in either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Our wings really wouldn't scare anyone. Stockdale in 2018 scared everyone but, he's not been good since. At least at that level. Every option we have is incomplete! They all have some kind of weakness. In my mind, Hanson is the best wing atm. In saying that, I believe he can get to a higher level as he's still young.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Lowe/Hansen fit our systems by far the best in open play - but if we had one strike play off a lineout move to win the RWC, I'd have Earls running it. His finishing and straight line speed even at his age is remarkable.

Obvious bias is obvious and undeniable but I still feel people judge him by his age rather than his performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

What if Stockdale got held up by a 9 over the try line?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

What about it? It was Dupont! A vastly better player than any of our players, imo.

what if Hansen dropped the ball out of his hand in the process of scoring a try?

(am i playing this game correctly?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭TheRona

Here's the thing with Earls, he's just not a threat, and I wouldn't expect him to do anything more than a run-in try that any winger could do.

His record about 'top' rugby nations isn't great, which wouldn't bode well for a knockout game in the RWC.

Australia: played 6 times, 1 try

England: played 12 times, 2 tries

France: played 11 times, 1 try

NZ: played 9 times, 1 try

SA: played 5 times, 0 tries (really surprised me).

I'm sure there's more to his performances than his try scoring, but it's not his kicking or his tackling, so it probably doesn't leave much else. Experience maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Well under Schmidt it was his kick-chase that was hugely important. Himself and Conway (pity he didn't get back fit in time to get a look in) were both given that role a lot.

It's funny though that your line about being a threat and run-in trys is exactly the kind of point I was making about Kearney a few years ago.

He's also a decent 13 in an injury situation.

I guess in the case of Earls here, it's different to kearney in that there are few people who think he should be in the first team. I could see value in having him in the squad as a leader for one of the rotated games like Romania.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Earls didn't cover himself in glory for the try, but I think a big part of that was him playing from centre, where he just doesn't have the requisite size.

But when on the wing, he's an excellent tackler and defender in general. You don't pick a wing for his defending, but I'd go as far as saying he's the best defensive winger in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

"A Leinster player can play poorly for multiple games and some fans want other players to play in their place."

Sweet God, the temerity of them.

Aside from the others (Paul has summed up my thoughts above), but with regards Ringrose, weren’t you yourself a big supporter of having Aki and Henshaw at 12 and 13?

Stockdale isn't in near as good form as Lowe currently, and is deservedly behind him in the pecking order. I would not at all argue with that.

But "Lowe has been very consistent since 2019" is just literally wrong. He was dropped, fully fit, for the last game of the 2021 Six Nations because his defence in the first four games was so poor. Instead, Stockdale started and they won against England 32-18.

Stockdale has a lot of ground to make up, and he might very well not manage to do so. But, as a separate issue, the ridiculous airbrushing of posters' favourite players' careers on this forum can be really aggravating. 90% of this forum, I'll wager, remember screaming at their TV watching Lowe ambling back after Johnny May, making zero effort, when England beat us in November 2020. If your parameters of being "very consistent" encompass Lowe being dumped from the team for poor defence during the Six Nations after he'd not long broken through, then fair enough, but it sounds suspiciously like you're just cheerfully spinning a bowl of rugby word salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Personally I think 1 of Lowe and Hansen is important.

I'm not going to say both. Why? It's very rare that both of them will do the auxiliary playmaker in the one game. They both do it in different games but usually one spends the game roaming while one holds width.

We have no one that will fill the role nealry as well outside of the top 2 but we only need one.

Lowe also has a good left boot (and it's important for one of the back 3 to have that to open up angles) but JOB and Stockdale have good left boots (not as good as Lowe but good enough).

There's a difference between a dip in form and "playing poorly"

I just think it's funny that people have no problem excusing Stockdale of 4 years of blatant averageness, yet Leinster players are afforded nowhere near the same leniency.

The difference is, there genuinely wasn't much between Ringrose, Henshaw and Aki. The latter two had actually delivered consistent performances worthy of spots in the team. Stockdale has done nothing of the sort in a long time.

But "Lowe has been very consistent since 2019" is just literally wrong. He was dropped, fully fit, for the last game of the 2021 Six Nations because his defence in the first four games was so poor. Instead, Stockdale started and they won against England 32-18.

my "2019" reference was obviously wrong, as lowe didnt make his debut until november 2020. for some reason i though he was brought in after the RWC in 2019, but mea cupla.

the point however is that, after his initial defensive worries 5 months into his irish career, where he went off any worked on it, hes been very consistent.

stockdale hasnt unfortunately, with injury being a huge factor in this.

the point in making, that you dont seem to grasp, is that Stockdale has the potential to be just a good as Lowe, but frankly he hasnt played anywhere like that in the last few years which would give credence to this argument now that Stockdale is, today, a comparable like for like replacement for Lowe.

he simply isnt. he COULD be, but he isnt currently. hes not playing to that level.

He had the grand total of 1200 minutes last season, so 15 full games, and hes scored 2 tries for ulster.

he missed 21/22 season pretty much completely with injury, but even the season before that he scored 3 tries in 1000 minutes for ulster.

so in two seasons where ulster finished second in the celtic league, Stockdale, as a winger, scored 5 tries in 2200 minutes of rugby with ulster.

for simple comparison, in Lowes last 2200 minutes for Leinster hes scored 24 tries.

I fully agree that Stockdale has a lot of ground to make up, and i agree with others that he has all the attributes to be able to do this, and i really hope he does because im an irish rugby fan....

• Advertisement

Which is fine, but why bring Ringrose into it at all then?

Except to paint criticism of Leinster players as unjustified, when in reality you actually agreed with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Can't for the life of me understand the calls for Earls to go. He's looked absolutely finished physically anytime I've seen him recently. He is really struggling in contact.

It's actually one of the more bizarre scenario's I think. All of Balacoune, Larmour & Nash are considerably better than him now. Conway too but he just can't stay fit.

Appreciate there are other intangibles such as him being a big influence and personality in the camp etc but I do not think he is good enough anymore for top level international rugby.

I do hope he gets his 100th cap though because he is completely deserving of it. Fantastic servant and player.

I simply don't think that's the case at all. It's not the posters that have brought him back - it's Andy Farrell. Were any posters lobbying for Stockdale to be back in the mix? Maybe Andy has "excused" him.

I think a player who has shown in the past that he is capable of superb play, has been brought back in for his first international cap in two years, and had a mixed game.

The majority of posters on this forum are Leinster fans, and the idea that Leinster players are judged comparatively harshly, is just untrue. Take, for example, my post above about the "very consistent" James Lowe. He's certainly, on this forum, anyway, been absolved of his previous sins.

Where did I say Stockdale has played as well as Lowe in the last four years? Where did I say that he would be a like-for-like replacement for Lowe?

You should direct those comments and statistics to someone who does think those things.

I'm leaving it there - I've nothing to gain from this.

Where did I say Stockdale has played as well as Lowe in the last four years? Where did I say that he would be a like-for-like replacement for Lowe?

you do realise you are not the only one who posts in this forum yes? and you do realise that you are the one who originally quoted me, yes?

so im talking in the general context of the discussion and not having a one to one conversation with you. this is a very important thing to realise when you post in a public on line forum.

Sorry, I got confused when you said

"the point in making, that you dont seem to grasp,"

I was somehow labouring under the impression that when you replied to my post, and said "you", you meant me. Who did you actually mean by "you"?

Not quite sure that's true tbh - seems very much a last weekend judgment. This was one of his last games for Munster.

One swallow doesn't make a summer, but I never really noticed Earls getting noticeably bossed around or physically dominated that much compared to someone like, say, Casey.

Regardless, whether or not Earls makes the squad will be more than likely influenced by the orientation off the 33 man squad rather than the quality of any other wingers. Love Nash but don't see him travelling ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭TheRona

He has terrible tackling technique, constantly putting his head on the wrong side. That's just another example of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

He’s creative and seizes opportunities but his pace is a limitation that’s not going to improve. It could be a vulnerability, esp. against the speedsters of RSA.

• Advertisement

Looks fine to me 🤷‍♂️

(I jest - I actually agree from a player safety perspective that he can get caught in some awkward positions, but I still would not call him a bad tackler).

Advertisement