Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

One of Bakhursts first comments he made was that he'd make a decision on Tubs' future by the end of July.

We are now 10 days past this, and still nothing.

So he is already making promises he can't keep when hes only in the door. Start as you mean to go on, eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The killing of Osama Bin Laden remains my favourite RTE "we can't be arsed" moment. News of Bin Laden's death broke late on the Sunday night of a Bank Holiday weekend. BBC, Sky News, ITV, almost every staton on this side of the world and all US TV went into overdrive on it. I stayed up most of the night watching the coverage, and then watched almost nothing but it the next day.

The first mention of it on RTE TV? Six One News the next day, pretty much 20 hours after it had been announced.No "newsflash", no break in programming to bring you an update, no change to the schedule.....embarrassing really tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

1 thing to keep in mind is that - despite years of NK management and the PR agencies best efforts -Tubridy is NOT at all popular with the general public.

I would estimate that 10-15% of the population are favourable toward him - made up of:

1. gullible, impressionable ppl who have been taken in by his wholly false “D4 Willy Wonka” persona. Mainly women. Mainly over 30s.

2. Ppl who are comfortably middle/upper class who live similar lives to RT, in blissful ignorance of how out of touch they are with Irish society.

3. Mentally ill people

At least 80 percent of the general population are - at best indifferent to RT and many, many, many are disgusted with him and cannot stand the false, disingenuous, patronising fake persona he pretends to be.

The nepotism and elitism central to how RT ended up in RTE despite his lack of broadcasting skills is also a hugely negative factor for people.

So many people saw through his act years ago.

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yep it's very poor leadership. Making his first commitments and the missing the dates. It sets the tone.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

So far the response from RTE is to commission reports but not publish them which is a standard delaying tactic, delay making decisions on Tubridy until things quieten down, postpone the register of interests because of GDPR and delay giving information to Oireachtas committees. Delay and deflect. They will never change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Well I’d argue taking his holidays a wet week into the job was a monumental mistake. He should have cancelled them - as would be the norm for any CEO in the private sector in the middle of a major scandal.

Why he would have committed to start at the appointed date and have holidays booked so close to that date in itself raises questions about his judgement. He should have/could have taken his holidays before starting and arranged the dates accordingly do that he left one job, took his holidays, and started the next - which is not unusual by any means. To do it like he did it does not exactly instill confidence in his time management or organisational skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I felt at the time he had no intention of sticking to that. He wanted more time to pass hoping public anger would abate and other news items would exercise people before bringing Ryan back. When he brings Ryan back he should put him on for an hour at night , say 12-1 am. We will see then if it's down to the talent or if it's due to the time slot whether people listen in great numbers or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Butson

Didn't he go on holidays two weeks after starting? Tells you everything you need to know about both him and that circus of an organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

Tubridys ego wouldn't allow him to take a graveyard RTE slot. It would basically mean him accepting crumbs from the table after being the broadcasters highest paid earner. He's just not that humble. Any time slot other than his original 9-10am (which is essentially just filler /background noise between the flagship news programme and Claire Byrnes current affairs show) or other prime slot, would be a 'no,no!' in his eyes.

If Paddy Power was giving odds on the likelihood of his return ( a little surprised PP isn't running a book on this), I would confidently slap down a wad on 'NOT RETURNING'.

He's not coming back.. HE CAN'T COME BACK!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tell it to me arse

He could do some work on bringing Lyric Fm evening slot 7-9 out of the doldrums of obscure alternative pipe music and reggae and bring in some contemporary jazz or classic jazz big band.

He fancies himself as a connoisseur of entertainment that big band era with Fred Astaire would suit his entertainer persona down to the ground.

He will never do it but he sealed his own coffin the day he turned his gigs into a strictly work sphere. There was no human element to his persona and it was wooden without any relatable context from his own life experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

There could even be a novelty effect where people listen to Callanan and Courtney to check if there's any improvement and this could see an increase in the audience figures. That would make things worse for Tubridy.

Regards...jmcc

The 7-9 slot on Lyric is John Kelly and he has built up a loyal following.

RT does NOT have the vast knowledge and expertise that John Kelly has.

So, that’s a no go.

At a stretch - Maybe RT could do the Sunday afternoon big band jazz slot that auld uncle Gaybo used to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

It one of the top programmes for RTÉ at about 250,000 viewers, if anything it needs to go out 5 nights and stop the repetition of reports.

Yeah we believe you ... :) ... but even as a non regular viewer I guess you notice the repeat news item on a regular basis not just in august.

You could swap Marty in the Morning with The Full Irish and put Marty on Radio 1 9 to 10.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

It seems to me that RTÉ don't really understand the normal person absolute dislike for the service that the have provided over the last 60 odd years.

I grew up with just RTÉ One and Network 2, and even back then RTÉ were providing more content across those 2 services than they are currently and even then many were unimpressed by the line up of local shows on RTÉ. The intro of Network 2 was welcome from the dire RTÉ2.

It did improve from the late 1990s into the early 2000s, mainly brought on by TV3's entry into the market but also IMO so not to look bad against TnaG/TG4. N2 again had some innovation during this period.

But even the small things that RTÉ do well doesn't out weight the general populations displeasure and dislike for service provided.

RTÉ seem bound to ignore their audience.

A good 2 months in and nothing has changed for the audience and nothing has change substantial for them over the last decade.

From increased repeats to the busman's holidays in RTÉ. Regular transmissions shall ceases and you should all be happy with what you've got, until the autumn, Oiche Mhaith

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The scheduling I find especially stupid is repeating an RTE show in a similar primetime timeslot!

If you've aired Neven Maguire in X at 8pm, don't repeat it again between 8-9pm. Repeat it at weekend lunchtime, or weekday afternoon.

Just lazy stuff not even trying.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tell it to me arse

I don’t know about you but when I turn that on the winter nights I make haste to change the channel immediately. Its deeply depressing. It’s aeons away from the type of music classical music listeners like my missus like. It’s insanely bad. What are his figures and what is the target audience? Certainly not classical musicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

Bring back the lovely Mary Kennedy.....

As much as I love classical, Lyric has a wider remit and JK’s show falls under that -

There's another story that shows that the institutionalised deadwood problem in RTE has been going on for much longer. When John Lennon (a member of the Beatles) was shot in December 1980, an Irish guy (I think that he was a journalist) was an eyewitness and he phoned RTE. RTE said that one of its own would take care of it the next day.

Regards...jmcc

We are in an era when we have to tell people who John Lennon was!

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

The problem for Tubridy is that John Kelly knows and Gaybo knew their subjects. It isn't an act like Tubridy's young fogey act.

Regards...jmcc

Yep. And even in the Tubridy era, the people from the IMF were walking down the street in Dublin and RTE had two dumb and dumber FF ministers claiming that there was no bailout. All the other channels were covering the IMF story with live video feeds. Would Tubridy have even got a place in RTE without his family connection to the former DG?

Regards...jmcc

They did this with there SAS show, shown at 9:30 Monday with a repeat at 10:30 on Tuesday. RTÉ2 +25!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I would think the drop in numbers paying the licence fee is a problem for Ryan Tubridy. If he's brought back there will be a cohort who are disgruntled and will be less likely to keep paying. I had thought he would be back, he didn't really do anything wrong except for allowing people to believe he was taking a pay cut, more of a sin of omission than anything; but I think it'd be very risky for RTE to reintroduce him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

He fancies himself as a lot of things but is let down if even trivial overview is done because he's actually a clueless pseudo intellectual moron.

Except Gaybo had knowledge and a liking for Jazz, so that's a no go either.

At a stretch he could do the paper reading on Morning Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

It wasn't an omission. He told the media that he willingly took a pay cut and that really believes in Rte. He also said that he was always willing to take pay cuts. He was actually one of the last, along with Gerry Ryan, to accept a cut in 2009. It had to be dragged out of him on that occasion. He was ambushed about it after his radio show, by an Rte news crew, in 2009 and his behavior is quite menacing towards the interviewer.

I honestly believe that he was taken in by the likes of Gerry Ryan and Noel Kelly. He hadn't the wit to realize how lucky he was. Just always wanted more and more. One thing I've always thought about Tubridy, is the fact that he doesn't come across as being in any way curious or even intelligent. I cannot ever remember thinking that he came up with an interesting question or angle in an interview.

From memory Gaybo had himself and a producer for that show. If it was Tubridy presenting a similar show, he'd need a team of producers and researchers. Likewise if he was presenting something like Late Date.

Exactly.

To use a restaurant scenario, Gaybo was like a multi Michelin star chef who drew crowds to the restaurant.

Tubridy is like the gobshite meet and greeter waiter at the front door who annoys everyone and gets the orders all wrong - then blames everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement