Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Ah FFS. I hope they don’t start closing nursing homes again!

Yes, I know that might sound selfish but when you’ve been on a lockdown from life for the last 7 years caring 24/7 for a housebound person, those few days, twice a year, when the housebound person goes into respite, is the only thing I care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

No it wasn't, 6:1 is a half hour for summer and it was about 15 mins in and lasted about a minute.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Testing positive again...

Snots everywhere, bunged up and "off" feeling...

What's the latest advice? Do I have to self-isolate or give my results to HSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

There are restictions in multiple Irish hospitals because of covid. Are you saying this is false?

I'm saying its false, I work in two of Dublins biggest hospitals and there are no restrictions. Name these hospitals with restrictions or withdraw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,430 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

jeez people are so weird about covid. !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

So a small minority of tests are carried out. And even for those that test positive, it doesnt mean that covid is the reason for the patient being sick.

There is nothing to see here.

You arent going to whip up any hysteria.

Most people dont care about covid anymore.

With Covid. Not generally because of Covid.

The wave will rise and fall and 99% of people wont even notice.

• Advertisement

As for whipping up 'hysteria', you've failed to point to anything 'hysterical' in my posts. You haven't even tried. Just lobbed out 'hysteria' as a dog whistle slogan. Your accusation is rejected as false and without merit.

Your statement about testing and cases is false.

The tests are carried out where respiratory illness is suspected. I explained how flu surveillance occurs, but similarly, you didn't engage with any of the information presented to you.

Here's the figures below from the UK. You can see the figures denote where hospitalisation is primarily due to covid. The figures clearly show an increase in hospitalisations and acute \ ICU admissions.

So I've provided ample evidence from multiple jurisdictions showing covid causing an increase in hospitalisations. You have provided zero evidence to the contrary. You have failed to provide any evidence to support another explanation for the increase in hospital admissions reported in multiple jurisdictions.

https://twitter.com/COVID19actuary/status/1689562047275585537

If someone has a resp illness, just because they have covid doesnt mean thats the cause of their hospitlisation.

Still very low numbers. Its a small wave that will fall quickly, with no restrictions necessary.

Whst is the point in drawing attention to it?

"If someone has a resp illness, just because they have covid doesnt mean thats the cause of their hospitlisation."

In the first instance, you seem to be suggesting they have a respiratory illness AND covid, but there's no link to covid as a factor in their condition needing hospitalisation? Seriously? Read that back to yourself.

In the second instance, I showed that in the UK the figures are for patients primarily being treated for covid.

You repeatedly make false unfounded statments, despite actual contrary evidence being presented to you demonstrating your claims have no basis. You present zero evidence to support your claims, just nonsense about 'hysteria'.

It is a covid thread. It seems entirely reasonable to discuss an increase in cases of it on this thread, that is leading to more hospitalisations and e.g. in some cases here outbreaks in hospitals and restrictions.

This is also leading to media coverage.

Baffling as to why you seem surprised to read such commentary on a thread called Covid 19 on a forum called Coronavirus. What do you expect to read here?

I was more interested to see why people were even commenting on the thread, to be honest.

It doesnt mean Covid is causing an increase in hospitalisations.

If there is a new wave it means more people probably have covid & perhaps testing has ramped up as a result.

But none of that means Covid itself is driving the increase in hospital admissions.

Test more people, get more positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,714 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've first hand experience of 2 friends attending A&E within the last 6 months and they spent between 10-12 hours being seen from the moment they arrived, the health system is unfit for purpose in this country and that's with minimal input from Covid.

So no evidence to back up anything you said then, you just repeat the same false misinformation and ignore the actual evidence presented to you from multiple jurisdictions. Including the UK where it clearly stated treatment primarily for covid.

So there's a random increase in hospitalisations for respiratory illness, and a random increase in covid positive tests.

But no connection between the two???

Read that back to yourself.

There is a small increase in hospitalisations, according to the graph.

There may well be a rise in prevelance of Covid, but it doesnt mean that the rise in Covid is what is behind the small hopsitalisation increase.

Is there a concurrent increase in other respiratory diseases, for instance. Are we even testing for those illnesses.

In some cases, sure, Covid may contribute. But the increase and overall numbers are so low that it seems unremarkable and you can be very confident that the small rise you are seeing will fade again. And fade fast.

Still no evidence then, just more false claims you have made up without any basis.

I have literally showed you a graph from the UK showing a significant increase in patients being treated primarily for covid. So yes, it does mean that and any claims to the contrary are false.

And you still deny evidence presented to you, while offering zero of your own.

Your position is that there is some mystery respiratory illness going around in summer at the same time as covid positive tests are increasing.

Note that you've provided zero evidence to support this, just absolutely desperate claims to try to avoid acknowledging the facts staring you in the face.

But somehow that covid isn't the main driver of the hospitalisations???

Even though we know covid to be a respiratory virus capable of causing hospitalisation - and you've provided zero evidence to the contrary.

And the patients are in hospital being treated for respiratory issues.

And they have tested positive for covid.

Read that back to yourself, and its absurdity should be obvious.

So on the one hand, we have expert commentary documenting a rise in covid cases, and official figures showing increases in patients being treated primarily as covid cases.

And on the other hand, we have absolutely zero evidence, just special pleading.

Your claims here have no credibility, and beggar belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Thank god them jabs are so effective.

There is no big increase though?

There is a small rise in the numbers in hospital. There is a rise in the numbers with covid also, but it isnt a major rise and as i say, the wave will fade quickly anyway. So what exactly is it you would like us all to do in response?

• Advertisement

It is a significant rise for the time of year.

The first step is getting the information out there.

So people know if they are unwell it could be covid even in August.

And to be aware covid is endemic when it comes to considering vaccines if offered.

People in the areas covered by the affected hospitals to be aware of restrictions and outbreaks.

Whenever there is a new subvariant there is a small spike in the positivity, regardless of time of year.

People in vulnerable groups can be made aware, although I think most are probably not.

The vast majority of folks will avoid vaccines now, though some in vulnerable groups will be advised by their doctor to take the vaccine.

I expect most people dont even know vaccines still exist.

Either way, the wave will be gone by the end of the month and 99% of people wont even know it was here. Which is a good thing.

• The bed management, resourcing and thus the infection control in Irish hospitals is appallingly bad. I don't know why we put up with it. COVID adds extra pressures, but they're a complete mess.

I had a situation in my own family where a very vulnerably elderly relative of mine who has cancer and suppressed immunity was left in a ward with someone who had extremely bad flu.

It's not just the public sector either. My dad was checking out of a private hospital following surgery and they literally had about 8 people in what was a ward suitable for maybe 3 beds max. It was totally undignified stuff. There were nurses giving people directions for dressing wounds in intimate areas etc practically on top of the next patient. The bed / trolley next to him was so close he couldn't even put his shoes on without exiting the ward and they were charging his insurance some stupid amount of money for this 'facility.'

In general my experience of the Irish health system both public and private over the last few years has been just totally shocking. Bits of it work, most of it doesn't.

We're basically accepting what are like field hospital conditions in some cases. It's no wonder all the nurses keep emigrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,141 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hospitalisations for the recently detected variant have quadrupled in a week.

And so the topic is still a live issue, even for those who engage in wishful thinking or conspiracy theory. If for no other reason than our creaking hospitals will get overwhelmed pretty quickly and people may see elective procedures cancelled in some facilities over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,589 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Galway Pub Closed over Outbreak

I don't think any country will ever go back to lockdowns but hospitals will have restrictions as it isn't going away

• Registered Users Posts: 38,413 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A lockdown is not economically viable

Not to add the social unrest it could cause given elements of the last time

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭thebronze14

People still talking about this🤣🤣 get on with yer lives!! People getting outraged at the folk who are still scared of it are the worst!! There's going to be no lockdowns, noones even mentioning them, move on! Just because it is in the news it doesn't really mean anything. No one is looking to go back to 2020!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,413 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'd say even Leo and MM aren't given covid much of a thought nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Are you saying everyone who comments here including yourself are hypochondriacs.

Why do you think the pub closed. Are they hypochondriacs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Advertisement