Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

No. I mean overall. The full lifecycle from manufacture to destruction. EVs produce less emissions on the whole chain when compared to ICE. They are more expensive and it's a money grabbing exercise in a lot of cases to a) feed off the government grant tit and b) knowing those that will change to EV have a good financial backing to support it. The convenience bit I'm not sure where your coming from. Charging? If so, you are right. In every other metric though they are on par with ICE (driveability, cargo, comfort, size, etc). What are the other disadvantages though? Charging and price are the 2 main ones. What else?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

From memory two government parties said they would abide by the ABP decision on an LNG terminal with the other one trying to put the fix in while the APB were reviewing the application, and that party`s leader and Government Minister was told in a report that he commissioned on energy security that we needed an LNG terminal foe the sake of energy security.

When it comes to Barryroe, he is not out of the woods on that either. Lansdowne have taken a case against the state under the Energy Charter Treaty which if they win will cost the taxpayer €100 million, and Goodman will in all likelihood get a judicial review than will make that €100 million a drop in the ocean if Ryan hasn`t dotted all his i`s and crossed all his t`s.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for that LNG facility, even SF are vehemently against it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

3.5 Bn is back.

As I posted did any party support the LNG terminal? I am not asking about planning.

Now who exactly said that we need an LNG terminal for the sale of energy security?

Who can keep up the list of companies knocking around Barryroe. I think the best was ESSO found it in 1974 and found it not viable. Lansdowne invested 20m from reading. It seems the 100m might be similar to the 3.5 Bn statements you made. You need to read past the headlines.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/barryroe-field-investor-raises-fighting-fund-to-challenge-exploration-ruling/a459684367.html

From the article It has been reported the company may be seeking up to $100m.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bluedex

Range is a big one.

It's kinda like saying "They're as good an option as ICEs, except they're significantly more expensive, their range is much smaller, and when the do reach range limitations there's nowhere to charge them and it would take an hour or more anyway. Other than that they're grand."

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Patrick Moore, was not a co-founder of greenpeace

https://wayback.archive-it.org/9650/20200418054802/http://p3-raw.greenpeace.org/international/Global/usa/binaries/2008/12/patrick-moore-s-application-le.pdf

He also lies about his degree, claiming he has a PHD in 'Ecology' when it's actually a PHD in Forestry

If he represents himself as just a scientist who is concerned about the direction of the green movement, then he's lying. He runs a PR agency for industry greenwashing

It's a grift

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Nope. Are you ever not feed up being wrong?

Flexible supply means the end user is given non firm supply. That is, they are not guaranteed the full capacity they need 100% of the time.

They already get large energy users to shut off during low wind days to help the grid during the day. They just want to bake this into the regulations by offering non-firm power agreements.

The reason we have low night demand is because we have a small manufacturing base that can run 24/7. Other than that penalizing residential users for using during the day is a terrible idea. Most of us sleep at night so of course our usage is lower.

Honestly, it's crazy that we need to change our energy usage patterns so much because those running the show won't put the correct technological solutions in place. And all this because wind and solar is a **** power source with low capacity factors and reliability.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

So you believe that Eamon Ryan the Minister with responsibility should just ignore the findings of a report he commissioned and paid for on our energy security that identified the need for an LNG terminal.

What is it you know on our energy security that the authors of that report failed to see ?

OK, range. In many cases, that's nothing to worry about. For the odd trip that would exceed range, you have to plan better. In reality, EVs are suitable for the vast majority of users. And even smaller, cheaper EVs with smaller ranges and batteries would do a huge amount of people too. Unless people are actually tracking their journeys over a period, they don't really know if range would be an issue or not. I do over 20k km a year, and the number of 100km+ journeys in that is miniscule. Any EV would do my daily trips. I know this cos I track the journeys with an app on the phone that starts recording and stops when in the car and connected to bluetooth. Until that point I'd have said no to an EV (I still say no to an EV for reasons other than range!) but once you see journeys in front of you, you can make more informed decisions. The key to EVs is charging at home. If you don't have that, then I'd say yer better off with ICE

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

The thing about EVs is the uncertainty about charging, battery tech and electricity prices. If half of the car's value is in the battery one might be put off investing in an EV because the battery issue is still very much in flux. Much the same happened when PCs became both better and cheaper. People decided at some point just to buy one even though they knew a newer version was waiting down the line. With EVs you have to be a diehard believer in the future of EVs to fork out that kind of money on an obsolete battery pack. My brother in Holland waited to get a battery pack f his solar panels because he knew something better was in the pipeline. But he went f an older model after waiting over 2 years f the new one coming fr China. Plenty of EVs in Holland. It really looks like some kind of status symbol.

• Advertisement

The charging is a concern, in particular public charging. **** it, it's not a concern, it's a shambles! There is no public charging worth talking about. I wanted to put in some public charging in a place and the cost was well into 5 figures before even looking to get a charger. Anyway, unless you are home charging, you are at nothing with an EV as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't delay waiting for battery tech. They improve all the time. Your PC example is good but it doesn't stop people buying them knowing newer, better, faster tech is only a few months away. Live in the now :-) Not much can be done about electricity prices.

I mentioned it yesterday I think that there is a huge burden being placed on the grid with EVs, heat pumps, etc. And not near enough investment into the grid, plus Eirgrid have shown they don't deliver on previous promises. Plus more connections mean more power required without investing in the reliable power generators that are 100% needed.

The best solution for EVs is home charging, with solar/wind micro generation used to charge it. But that is big €€€€s then

Well, marketing is intended to sell as many cars as the manufacturers can

BEVs as a better option to ICE is undisputable when you look at total emissions from the full life cycle of the vehicles

BEV have high environmental impact at manufacture, and much lower environmental impact during the lifespan of the vehicle, with the fuel coming mostly from renewable sources that have low marginal costs of production and then the battery packs need to be recycled or reused. It turns out, with about a decade of BEVs in common use, that battery degradation is actually nowhere near as bad as first feared, so BEVs could last for decades compared with ICE cars which tend to wear out after 10-15 years as engines and running gear degrade mechanically due to all the moving parts and complex sensors and components.

Compared with ICE cars, with a high environmental cost of manufacture, then a high cost of running the car for 10-15 years followed by the cost of disposal

The environmental impact of the fuel to power ICE cars - Emissions during Oil exploration, Emissions and toxic byproducts during Oil extraction, Emissions transporting the crude oil to the refinery to the vehicle, Emissions and toxic byproducts refining the Oil into Diesel or Petrol, Emissions transporting the petrol and Diesel to the filling stations, emissions from the cars driving to the filling stations to refuel

Plus hundreds of litres of Lubricants and other chemical fluids that a typical car will use in it's life cycle that need to be disposed of as hazardous waste

Counter arguments, or contrarian arguments...

The scientific literature is full of counter arguments, where scientists exchange ideas based on research and proper scientific methodology

WUWT is a contrarian website run by so called 'sceptics' about the overwhelming consensus that is dominating climate science for the last half century.

Not scientific sceptics, as all scientists are supposed to be, but cynics. People who have decided that they don't believe that the planet is warming, and are looking for anything to justify that pre-existing belief.

None of WUWT's many predictions throughout the years have proven to be accurate. All they do is promote conspiracy and spread disinformation doubt and mistrust of science as a discipline, They are not a source of counter arguments. They are a source of 'talking points' that can be used in online debates to shut down meaningful discussion on what we should be doing to combat climate change.

ICE cars are just as expensive/cheap now as the equivalent BEV cars

400km range in this car is enough for most people, they could charge it once a week and still have plenty to spare with the only slight inconvenience being if they had to take a long road trip once or twice a year, when they'd almost certainly stop every 4 hours just to use the bathroom, get something to eat along the trip.

There is loads of data on how long the batteries last, and we don't need 'decades' of data to make a decision that they are less impactful than the equivalent ICE car

With ICE, the longer you drive it for, the more emissions it generates. with BEV, the longer you drive it, the more emissions you save. (compared with an ICE equivalent)

Charging is not ideal right now, it is getting better.

When Petrol cars first arrived, there were very few petrol stations. With BEVs, most people would charge at home, so most people don't really need a good charging network most of the time. But the government, and the EU, are bringing in the infrastructure to support charging along the primary transport hubs. Rural charging networks will eventually catch up. It's just a matter of the market adapting. As petrol and diesel begin to age out of the national fleet, we'll begin see a shortage off petrol stations in these lower populated areas (and it coild happen sooner than people think)

A lot of this is spot on. But then it goes into randomness which doesn't really stack up. Firstly, no matter the power source on vehicles, they are littered beyond belief with sensors. There's too many of the bloody things in everything making things much more complex and prone to error than is necessary. Example being I've an expensive vehicle at home, with sensors galore. There's one in the fuel tank that checks if the fuel gauge is working. If that goes, the vehicle won't work and goes to limp mode as it doesn't know how much fuel is in the tank. Yet the gauge could say it's full, you know it's full but oh no, dodgy sensor says otherwise. And it's a €645 + VAT piece of electronics to replace if it fails.

You can also recycle more of an ICE than an EV at end of life. ICE cars don't tend to wear out, and if they do the parts that wear are replaceable. That's not the case with the powertrain or power source in an EV.

Also, most of the power in Ireland doesn't come from renewables yet. Maybe, sometime in the future but not yet.4

There's a good few new petrol stations popping up. Emo Oil are on a bit of a rampage opening/reopening stations in the last 18/24 months

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Dumb question, but have they factored in that it's likely one ICE can outlast two EVs? (except on this dumb island where there's a race for newer models every year or 3)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

That may possibly account for the overdrive in gaslighting of the population with weather as climate stories throughout the media this Summer. You may remember the months of the Thunberg astro-turf campaign that culminated in the UN meeting in September 2019. Same M.O, September is when the UN has an annual assembly. Of course, "The U.N. is the accepted forum for the expression of international hatred". h/t Sir Humprey Appleby., since the re-ignition of the cold war into a hot war, which really represents a complete failure of the UN original charter that nations signed up to, since they pretend to hold the peace, why not pretend to control the weather.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Doubt it. I'd say it's on a per vehicle basis but I don't know

Why do you think a ICE can outlast two EVs?

Most ICE cars are scrapped because it is no longer viable to repair even with low mileage. The chance of an electric breaking is a lot less due to less parts. Yes the battery is what is pointed at but in reality that is not going to die unless you do huge mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I have a 15 year old Fiesta going strong and my previous lasted 18 years, it probably would have gone longer if I wasn't offered 5k against a new one for a car that was probably worth €100 at most by then. There's no shortage of components for old school ICE vehicles. I don't know why you think it's not viable to repair them?

Go to any country outside of the EU or the USA and there's plenty of vehicles with 10+ years on the road. Heck, even eastern Europe and around the less affluent parts of Spain, Portugal, Italy etc are riddled with aging relics still functioning, but there's not many EVs about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

ICE cars are just as expensive/cheap now as the equivalent BEV cars

Doesn't look that way to me. The Renault Zoe -- a small EV -- is twice the price of, say, a Skoda Fabia. The Renault claims up to 400km range, but in the real world under less than ideal conditions that falls to 220km. At the lower end of that range it would cost more to charge than the ICE vehicle's fuel costs.

Also, ICE vehicle prices have soared in the last three years due to supply chains, chip shortages, and all the well-known post pandemic issues. So consumers would be struggling to buy new ICEs let alone EVs costing twice as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭prunudo

There seems to be a notion from their advocates, that ev's and electric components never fail.

In my experience, it is the suspension, drive train or sensors that need to be replaced or repaired, the engine itself is very rarely the actual problem.

Post edited by prunudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bluedex

Research has shown that global disasters have not increased since 2000 but the reporting of them is better and therefore more widespread.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Farmers can take some comfort. According to Marie Donnelly, chair of the Climate Change Advisory Council, “agriculture is not the bogeyman. Quite honestly, our single biggest challenge right now here in Ireland is transport.” Ireland’s transport emissions rose 6 per cent last year.

That's a big change of tune

Why I think it is not viable is because most cars are scrapped because the cost to repair is too high. Even my diesel car which is 2016 parts went on it this year which cost 3k+ to fix.

The majority of cars on the road's are 10 year old or less in the World. Yes some older cars exist but the are in the minority.

Not many EV's about because they are only coming into mainstream in the last 2-3 years.

I'd disagree. I'd say most cars are traded in so people can have a newer fancier one on the driveway. The PCP model often times results in a car being traded for little or no outlay bar the monthly repayments carry on. Very few cars are scrapped and lets be honest, if they are they've served their purpose for many years. Many cars are <10 due to marketing, trade in values decreasing and the aforementioned pride of having a newer car in the drive. Plus you had the change in tax rates in 2007 which meant people (incorrectly I'll add) changed cars to avail of lower tax rates. Same happening now with grants and lower tax on EVs. You're car is 7 years old and a 3k fix seems excessive but then I don't know the mileage or the type of driving your car has had. My car is 11 years old and apart from brakes and discs, the only repair needed was for the steering pump. That could go on an EV too.

The change in 2007 was 16 years ago, I think at this stage it's not really relevant anymore.

Cars are traded in but if a garage can sell they will sell on. Fact is the older cars are then scrapped because they can't find an owner. People buy newer cars for a number of reasons. Yes some buy for a newer car but most swap as car is getting old, repair costs go up and chance of repairs increase.

The tax change has meant newer car tax prices are extremely low so tax is not really a reason to swap a car. As I posted on this thread already, an X5 is 333 tax per year.

Electric cars are overpriced, too many people with too much money willing to pay huge money for them. Just look at Renault selling a 40k electric car. Then BYD comes into ireland with a "cheap" electric car and its 40k(I think) as well. F**king nuts.

Give it 6 months and the prices will all come crashing down as the manufacturers have to reduce to sell. Tesla has already got the jump on everyone.

The manufacturers are also keeping up the price of ICE cars so they can sell the electric cars, why would anyone pay 40k for a EV if they can get the combustion version for 20k less. The market has flattened now, just look at VW trying to flog the last few EV at 0% PCP etc before they drop the price

OK. You're right. I must have misunderstood the original post. I thought you meant people were scrapping cars to buy new. It's the dealers that are scrapping. Though a lot of cars not sold here are exported away out of the country to new lives elsewhere. Often eastern Europe and Africa. I never understood the reasoning of upgrading a car due to repair costs alone. It's nearly always cheaper to repair than trade. The longer you can get out of a car the better for your pocket, and dare I say the environment.

Tax used to be a reason to swap a car. Loads done it at the change to CO2 based. Point of order, the car tax has no bearing on the sale price. VAT and VRT are the hoors there.

Out my window here now I can see 8 cars. Only 3 are newer than 2015. Oldest is a 02 corolla. I thought the ratio would be more in favour of newer myself but the sample is small.

• Advertisement

We are right hand drive that limits what we can do with cars, it also limits us in terms of our import market. If we had left hand we could import from all of Europe.

It could be cheaper to repair but once one bit goes then a lot more starts going.

I sat on M50 the other day during rush hour, painful, it was like a car show room. Hence why cars are totally over priced now. It wasn't electric either, still 99% are combustion

I am big into older cars, but to be honest the picking of older cars is slim to non existent. Plus a lot of them are in bits and people are trying to sell on for a few k and hoping when you test drive all the lights don't come on.

Advertisement