Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Can you read properly? It would not appear so given that is the second post in a row you have misinterpreted related to the same subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Savills, they fell foul because it was required to secure a viewing. It certainly would have cut down on time wasters, and they outlined their policy for purging data of those who do not bid/buy, but you are correct, there was an outcry.

What type of independent, regulated third party should handle bids, how would that improve transparency, and how would it be any less prone to fake bids?

See, not only can I read what you posted earlier, I can ask you how handling bids that way would make the process better. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Why not a system where the seller puts a price tag on the property, and once that is met, it is sold. I think that in some countries, you just have to meet the price of the house as advertised

If you want to get 1m for your house, but hope you will get 1.2m then don't have a system where you advertise it at 750k knowing you won't agree to sell it below 1m. List it for 1.2m and see how you get on. If it doesn't sell and you are willing to accept 1m then lower your asking.

Presumably because all sellers would inflate the price they would accept, as they would fear having to accept an offer below what the market would pay. In effect, it would be a meaningless number as a seller could put a €1.5m price tag on a house knowing that in all probability the highest bid would be 1.2m, and they would then still accept the highest offer.

• Advertisement

You didn't understand the premise. You put your price of 1.5m and you can sell if and only if it hits that advertised price. If you want to lower it, then you will have to re-advertise it at 1.2m for a minimum reasonable period of time thereafter. The 1.2m would have to be logged on some official register maybe too. No getting around it with rebates etc. You can ask for 10m if you want. But you'd only be wasting your own time in that scenario.

The advantage is that it isn't wasting other people's time. You can ask for what you want, and if you ask for something that they don't want to pay then they can walk on to the next one.

You didn’t understand my answer, all sellers would put their prices up, fearing they would have to accept a bid lower than market price. The market would stagnate as sellers would wait before incrementally lowering price, then accept a price lower than the initial advertised price. In effect you are handing control of the market over to sellers rather than allowing buyers to bid against each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

See, not only can I read what you posted earlier, I can ask you how handling bids that way would make the process better. Simples.

Introduce selling via simple formal offer & acceptance process as I posted earlier as opposed to the drawn out sale agreed process which is essentially only an invitation to treat until contracts are exchanged.

All offers must be in writing using standard forms of contract. If dummy bids are suspected, EA should be able to provide verifiable proof.

No need for regulated third party and could all be managed under the current The Property Services Regulatory Authority (PSRA).

No. It would help with price discovery which is a prerequisite for any efficient market.

Go to daft.ie now and list up houses in any area. Say you want to buy in mullingar and your budget is 300k. You'll see some houses with notional prices of 200k, 300k and 400k. How many of them are within your budget in reality? The answer is that you don't know.

If you are not going to sell for less than X, what difference will being forced to advertise at x rather than 75% of X make? Advertise at 125% of X if you want. Then you are just wasting your own time.

Under the system I proposed, there is no stagnation. When the asking is met, the sale is done. Currently you have no idea when it is done. The seller might list at 750k, really want 1m, it hits 1.1m and they decide there has been interest in it so they'll sit on it longer.

I would be surprised if any seller chose not to sit on their property whilst bidding continues, that is price discovery at its simplest, and finest.

Taking your approach, it would be inconceivable that any seller would consider setting their price point at anything other than a level above the maximum they think the market would pay. That in turn may lead to buyers paying far more than the price point which would have been reached by the current bidding process.

I don’t think anyone believes that guide/advertised prices are anything other than arbitrary numbers which have to be put on the ad. Sellers may have a price below which they will not sell, but if you want them to set a price at which they will, you shouldn’t be surprised if it’s way above your expectations, or that someone will be willing to pay it.

• Advertisement

Yeah I don't care. Put a billion Euro as the listed price if you want. Good luck with getting an estate agent to advertise it for you though. If you put it too high then it won't sell. There is no price discovery under the current system. Go to daft, search for the first house in any area and come back to me and tell me what price it is currently making or what you would have to put on the table to buy it tomorrow

the system I proposed would cut out all this wasted time and expense of multiple people trying to bid on multiple houses for months. The buyer offering you your advertised might also be offering the advertised on another 5 properties - he just has no idea which one, if any, he might get accepted on. 4 of those bids will be withdrawn if he does get one.

It helps the seller too as you will see an actual view of the transact-able prices in your area at the time you are selling rather than a delayed PPR price a few months later.

The significant drops we sometimes see in high end listings indicates that EAs have no issue with advertising properties at inflated guide prices.

Surely the market discovers the price with the highest bid? You can find the price you need to put on the table, by looking at the PPR after it sells. It is simply not possible to accurately anticipate every time what the market will pay for a property, you can at best make an educated guess, and yet we are all still surprised at times at the prices properties achieve.

This is getting silly so I’ll leave it at that.

Here is the first listing on daft. Can you please tell me what price I need to pay to secure this property? Thanks

The only silly thing is suggesting that an opaque bidding process offers more price discovery than a definite price the seller will accept and will have to accept. The analogy would be that you would claim that the general public would be better able to tell what the price a packet of jaffa cakes will cost them if shops stopped displaying actual prices and instead every shop auctioned off their jaffa cakes to customers advertising only a wishy washy guide price. With all due respect, that would be nonsense.

There are people right now bidding on houses, and sitting on the highest bid for maybe a few weeks who still don't know what the eventual price of the house will be when it is sold.

Ah ok. You can't tell me. That's fine. Point proven.

If we don't know the price, we can't know where the market is at. We can only really know what it was a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did I not long since specifically request that you two place each other on ignore? If not, this is that request. Drop the current back and forth on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭jj880

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0810/1399050-ecb-is-on-back-foot-and-for-once-its-down-to-germany/

This is forcing a change of tune at the ECB -- from ruling out a pause in its steepest and longest streak of interest rate hikes to openly talking about one as soon as next month.

"We continue to expect the ECB to pivot significantly over the next few months, with no further hikes this year and March kicking off a series of rate cuts," economists ABN-AMRO said in a note to clients.

Is any of this any way probable or are RTE just stuffing an article with anyone they can find saying this for a headline?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Looks like headline stuff. ECB announced all this at their last meeting. They haven't given any new guidance since. This is just linking opinions of economists to what the ECB said in July. No new information on the ECB decision making process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

Biggest danger to the Irish economy imo

Raising rates were done to cool economies and suppress inflation for obvious enough reasons

Our government and central banks implemented measures that reversed these effects such as shared ownership and relaxed mortgage lending and prevented the bubble from deflating in a controlled manner.

A cut in rates now will overheat the Irish economy and accelerate the car as the brick wall approaches

Our rates should be higher than the US never mind EU

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

I have said this before and will say it again, just increasing rates will kill the economy. Any interest rate hikes will take 6 months to a year to show any effects.

So called experts in the US were saying rates will climb and then come down as quickly as they raised it earlier this year, unfortunately that doesn't make any sense. You need to raise rates, once stuff starts levelling out you leave the rates at a steady pace to let it soak into the economy. Remember it was only last July when ECB took the rate from 0% -> 0.5%.

That being said I am not saying they won't raise rates again, but don't expect they will do it every time they meet. Also don't expect rates to come down for at least another year or two years (unlike the article), and when it does come down I expect it to hover between 1% ~ 2% for the next decade at least. Unless something dramatic happens.

• Advertisement

But aren't borrowing limits in the UK closer to 4.5x the salary, so even at 4x we are still at the lower end. I would say in the US it might be higher than 4.5x.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭jj880

Jaysus. I think most (well me and anyone I talked to) underestimated how much things are fvcked and need corrected.

When my mortgage ends I'll have paid more than if Id fixed my rate for sure. Im ECB+1.25% with 5.5 years left from July 2022. Payments up 80 euro pm so far since then.

US has non recourse mortgages and simple and quick foreclosure process. So there isn't the same need for centralised control.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Only 11 states have non recourse mtges in the US, the majority don't.

Yeah I agree, but I think overall 3.5% LTI was fairly stringent and I don't believe the Central Bank did it to prevent the deflation of the property value as the previous poster mentioned. If you do 5 minutes of research, you will find that the Central bank were doing studies as far back as 2016 and 2018, it is just coincident that it happened during IR hikes.

Not quite. All federally backed mortgages are non-recourse, even if in a recourse loan state. Although they tend to be insured

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

Our Euro-area interest rate is still only 3.5%. Its 5.5% in the US currently, and 5.25% in the UK.

Euro area inflation is still running at 5.3% overall as of July, 10.8% for food. That 5.5% overall figure was being dragged down by cheaper oil and gas prices too which were at -6% in July, but which have gone into reverse in recent weeks. So the overall figure is going to be trending up again soon.

Plenty of Euro countries also still have extremely high overall inflation - Slovakia (10.2%), Croatia (8.1%) Lithuania (7.1%) etc.

I wouldn't be betting on the increases to stop yet.

Again not saying they won't increase it. All I am saying is they really need IR hikes to soak in the economy for it to take effect! Any rate hike won't see impacts for at least 6 months to a year after it was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

The 4x LTI only applies to FHB. Otherwise, its still 3.5x with exemptions for a small portion of borrowers, so the average is somewhere in between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

You'll find that the in 16 and 18 the central bank were strongly opposed to relaxing the rules and in fact tightened the numbers that could borrow at 4 times income in 18, despite intense political pressure. This coincided with a stabilisation of prices up untill covid

This stance only changed when the cental bank head changed. An appointment heavily critiqued by many including previous heads of the CB that were tasked with cleaning up the mess from the celtic tiger regime

Advertisement