Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Atto3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes but highlights how overpriced the BYD is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

If you like a well-specced reasonably priced car you mean.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes but that's not a direct competitor to the BYD Atto 3. The Tesla Y would be its competitor, so what is the frumpy looking cheapest Tesla Y priced at?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I was asked what the cheapest price Tesla was. I answered that so get your knickers out of the twist their in.

Model Y is €46,521 according to www that’s th closest thing to the dream you’ve built.

Ms

Well then with a Model Y Tesla being 46k the BYD starts to look like very good value indeed.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The BYD is a bit expensive for what it is. A new to market car trying to disrupt things. Mainly due to the 2 grand of delear fees.

The closet "comparable" Tesla is the model Y at €47k. + another 3k to get them to turn on the tech to get it on par spec wise. The top spec Kia eniro is 46k too. So it's still 5k cheaper than the established competition. The MG ZS is much closer in terms of spec and price. But even that is coming in a few grand cheaper.

If you have 50k to spend on a car you prob won't look at the BYD. But if you are already stretching to meet 41k. Then it does give you an option that the others don't.

€46,521 for the MY buts what’s €3k to match the BYD spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

I think they mean 3K for EAP to have just as many useful features as BYD, not match spec for spec.

I read it wrong I thought the standard autopilot stuff was part of the enhanced autopilot package.

Really good comparisons here

• Advertisement

Not a lot between them at all. I see reports that the Model Y built in Germany is using BYD batteries too. Likely the blade technology the atto uses.

Wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Man the Y boot is huge

2000l when you fold the seats, chargers way faster too, 25mins vs 45 mins 10 - 80% and the 0-100km/h is a bit misleading as the Atto3 200bhp motor really starts to run out of puff big time after 120km/h, it tops out at 160km/h vs Tesla Y 220km/h top speed, the rolling overtaking test 80-120km/h tells the true picture 4.1s vs 5.2s in Y favour

Yes but we can’t post most of that as people think you’re a T fanboy. They really are technically above most others.

But it’s great there’s choice and we need more low cost options to get people inEV’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

The boot space in a Model Y is really big but that comparison listed earlier is wrong as it isn't a like for like comparison. The seats up part.

The boot in that is measured to the roof and not to the parcel shelf which is the normal way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Saw one of these out in the wild this week (a silver one, on the M50). They're a decent looking car, excluding the 'Build Your Dreams' on the back. It looked well and seemed to handle nipping in and out of M50 prime time traffic in its stride.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

Even including dealer fees the Atto 3 is a good alternative to a M3SR or even more expensive MY depending on your criteria and budget. Compared to the M3SR, the Atto 3 has more usable space/easy access boot because of the hatch, better foot room for rear passengers, easier to get in/out as its a crossover, more reliable radar cruise control, 360 camera, parking sensors, rain sensor, 150kw DC charging speed is decent, blindspot monitoring, better vehicle warranty, android auto/CarPlay, has a drivers display, I don't know how well the lane keep assist performs in all conditions in the BYD but at least you don't have to re-engage it every time you change lanes unlike Tesla basic Autopilot.

In that comparison of the MY, Tesla manipulated the the real boot capacity by omitting the parcel shelf, yes it's still larger due to the underfloor storage and length. I haven't been able to find any info on the real capacity of the MY's boot yet. I don't count the blind spot camera as a good feature in Teslas. It's only really active when indicating and it takes your vision off the road to look at it clearly. With the blindspot monitoring it's always active and you can see it from your peripheral vision before you indicate, much more useful and safe imo. The auto park stuff doesn't work in new Teslas anymore thanks to TeslaVision and lack of sensors and probably will never work properly because of the limitations of cameras, especially when dirty. But even if it did work, EAP is a €3800 optional extra so it's not a fair comparison.

The Teslas have more performance, better UI/app, better sound amongst other things, but the Atto is it's own positives too.

Ms

I seen my first BYD ATTO 3 today on the M4 heading out of Dublin and it was a Taxi.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yes, on the road working for about €19k if your scrapping.

God damn that bloody interior, I hate it or I would have one tomorrow

• Advertisement
    Ms

Why would you hate it? It so much nicer than all or most of the other dull dark interiors out there. Look at the MG4 for instance all black and dull the same with VWs and many other cars too although the ORA Funky Cat has a nice bright interior. Has anyone seen one of them on the roads yet? The BYDs interior is supposed to have a chemical smell anyway according to Autocar. Whether that is true or not I do not know.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Because it's designed to resemble a gym and accompanying ideas.

I hate the door string storage and I certainly hate the exposed muscle looking central console

My opinion is the interior let’s it down somewhat too.

it’s a bit messy IMO. All that screen real estate, but they still fit fiddly scroll wheels in the centre arm rest area for volume control.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭pad199207

Seen one in the flesh there for the first time. Definitely not for me

It is risky, but I like it.

I was in a Tesla model Y a few weeks ago and was struck by how boring everything was. I know everything about a Tesla is in the software. But still it could look a bit more like a 50k car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Does Spotify work while driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭grennscreener

Had one as a rental for 3 days in Germany there last week. Was really comfortable to drive, and was easier to maneuver around tight spaces than my ioniq5.

Efficiency was pretty decent as well, I did about 20min on the autobahn twice a day each day, I wasn't holding back the horses' and only had to charge the battery once (got stung for 40quid at a shell station for it). Didn't really use the inbuilt software, wireless android auto was a nice surprise. Build quality seemed really decent, I didn't hear a rattle or a squeak from it in the 3 days. Really solid on the road, had a couple of thunder showers on the autobahn which it handled like a champ.

I wasn't a fan of the design of the interior from the pictures, wasn't sure about it for the first day but after that I didn't mind it. I ended up loving the gear selector.

In the end I was sad dropping it back, twas a nice thing to drive for a few days. I wouldn't trade the ioniq for one, and I'd not pay what they're asking for simply because it feels I'd just be rewarding the dealer's greed. But based on that I'd be happy to look at BYD in the future.

Ms

I finally seen my first one of these while out walking the dogs yesterday. It was a white one and looked well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I drove mine Dublin to Galway on motorway last weekend. I can confirm that the active cruise control and lane keeping worked fine at motorway speeds, aside from when lane markings disappeared for some reason it drove itself down on the motorway. I didn't try it in city traffic but i expect it would be fine there too tbh. It does complain if you take your hands off the wheel, or even hold the wheel at the bottom, it must have sensors to pick up whether you are holding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not relevant for most Irish owners, but Nyland did the 1000km test

2023 60kWh Atto 3 - 12:15

2016 28kWh Ioniq - 11:55

Only watched the end but there seemed to be a lot of rapidgating. That's not really a great result and certainly not progress. Far slower than the competition for a car that should be, but isn't really, much cheaper than the competition. Not sure what BYD are playing at here, but this is not the way to conquer western markets.

Advertisement