Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

There's a good word that describes him and those like him: "midwit". He's slightly smarter than average but not by much. That would easily describe a lot of the media too. The "intellectual" angle seems to be one that Tubridy and others cultivate in that they like to be thought of as such but there's no real evidence for it. His books are hardly great works. Looking at the front cover of "The Irish are coming" book shows a boat with a pictures of a pile of famous Irish people with Terry Wogan at the bow and Tubridy at the stern. Tubridy is very much a village celebrity. Those others generally became successes outside of the Dublin media village and outside of RTE. I think the book was focused on the UK and Tubridy may have been trying to break into the UK media scene. He's no Terry Wogan, Eamon Andrews or Graham Norton.

Tubridy seems to have succeeded with pushing that image purely based on a very effective PR machine rather than any great intellectual works. The ease with which he could be replaced by Callanan or Courtney shows how deeply RTE bought into the idea that he is indispensable.

Regards...jmcc

• They can only delay and deflect for a while this time though. The checkmate move will be the probable continued drop in license fee income going forward. Somebody somewhere will have to act to clear up this whole sorry mess at some stage.

The licence fee problem could end up taking out Tubridy and Bakhurst if it develops into a general protest. The latest figures for the first week of August show the licence fee sales are down almost 40%. (Ironically, the percenage of the audience of the Gerry Ryan show that Tubridy lost when RTE installed him there.)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Let's take a little look back over the shoulder at 2009.

Firstly from the IT on 30/12/2009. Ichabod couldn't take a pay cut for "legal reasons". Sounding a bit like Biggins, late of this parish, he later recanted, advising that his "legal position" had changed. The quote in bold below is somewhat bewildering. Anyone?

"LATE LATE Show presenter Ryan Tubridy has said he dealt "appropriately" with requests for a pay cut because of the financial situation at RTÉ.

Tubridy was one of a number of RTÉ’s top-paid presenters who was initially reluctant to take a voluntary 10 per cent pay cut when requested by RTÉ management.

He cited legal reasons for his refusal to do so, but instead, he offered to make a substantial donation to charity. In March he said his legal situation had been resolved and he took the cut.

On RTÉ’s News at One programme, yesterday, Tubridy said he made that donation, took the 10 per cent cut and has since taken another one. “That was dealt with appropriately,” he said.

Tubridy was RTÉ’s fourth best-paid presenter in 2008, the last year for which figures are available. He earned €533,333 in that year, a nearly 50 per cent increase on his 2007 earnings of €366,867.

He said people were “100 per cent entitled” to look at the salaries of RTÉ’s top-paid presenters given the state of the economy and the levels of unemployment at the moment.

“One of the saddest things I saw this year was that moment in Waterford Crystal when there was a scuffle and somebody hit the glass door and fell down and, for some reason, that encapsulated where this country was going economically,” he said.

“I see people walking around this town, perfectly well kitted out. They have no work, they have nowhere to go. People are angry and upset. I totally understand that.”

When asked if he was paid too much, Tubridy responded: “I am paid what is negotiated for me. In that case, they deem it fit to pay me that and that is what happens.”

Earlier that year, in the Mirror (on February 3rd), the mood in Montrose was somewhat more militant. Note Gerry Ryan's comments now with the benefit of hindsight...

"TOP RTE star Ryan Tubridy last night revealed he will not be taking a pay cut for "personal, legal reasons".

The broadcaster broke his silence and revealed in a statement that he will not be accepting a 10 per cent cut from his EUR346,000 salary.

The statement read: "Like everyone else in this country, I have been watching the ongoing economic situation closely.

"Due to personal, legal reasons, I have been advised that a pay cut is not an option for me at this time."

But the RTE Radio 1 presenter revealed he will be giving money to charity, adding: "Despite this, I am making a significant donation to St Vincent de Paul, a charity that could probably do with our help now more than ever."

Tubridy, 35, had joined forces with fellow RTE top dogs.

Gerry Ryan and Pat Kenny have also refused to take a salary hit to save the cash-strapped station.

Despite coming under fire from the public - 87 per cent of people have demanded they take a cut - the trio are sticking to their guns.

Kenny and Ryan used their programmes last week to defend their salaries, which are paid by a combination of licence fees and advertising.

Kenny, whose company Pat Kenny Media Ser vices Limited, claimed on his radio show last week that he is "probably supporting several public servants in their jobs". Ryan described calls for a cut as "bulls**t".

He told his listeners last week: "Sorry, have I missed something? Are people in RTE other than senior management taking cuts in wages? . . . It isn't happening. Unions, just like the unions in the public sector, will not allow that."

He added: "I'll get together with Ryan Tubridy and Pat Kenny and the others, and jaysus, we will come up with something."

Marian Finucane, Joe Duffy, Derek Mooney, Miriam O'Callaghan and Eamon Dunphy have all accpted a 10 per cent pay cut.

Tubridy's statement will now put more pressure on Ryan and Kenny to take some form of action.

Despite this, I am making a significant donation to SVP."

RTE reported a final capitulation in March. At that stage Gee Ryan was the last to hold out. Bills to pay, you know yourself, listeners.

"RTÉ presenter Ryan Tubridy has announced that he will take a 10% pay cut.

In a statement, Mr Tubridy said until now, he had not been in a position to take a pay cut, but that his legal situation had changed in recent days.

The move comes two days after RTÉ Director General Cathal Goan announced the national broadcaster had proposed pay cuts for its 2,300 staff.

He said the cuts would be as fair as possible, with those who earn more giving more.

RTÉ is currently forecasting a shortfall of approximately €68 million or 15% in total revenue for 2009."

Also, from http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ryan-now-isolated-still-refuses-pay-cut-1665163.html (8/3/09)

Gerry was something of a bizarre character, and Tubbers threw a hissy fit when a journalist colleague attempted to interview him as he ambled into the building at around twenty to nine.

"RTE management has taken the unprecedented step of rubbishing one of its prized stars in public, describing broadcaster Gerry Ryan as “bombastic, loud-mouthed and opinionated”.

A management source declared he was now “just acting the maggot”.

But yesterday, an unfazed Ryan laughed off these criticisms when we interviewed him at the scene of a criminal attack on his 23-year-old daughter Lottie’s car in Dublin city centre.

Ryan’s refusal to accept any cut in his 558,000 pay leaves him now totally isolated, following yesterday’s announcement that Ryan Tubridy had caved in to pressure and agreed to a cut in his 346,000 pay.

Tubridy and Ryan had been the last two RTE stars refusing to make any concession on pay.

Meanwhile, Ryan yesterday found himself caught up in a drama in Dublin’s city centre involving an attack on his daughter’s car.

Obviously concerned for his daughter’s welfare following the incident, which saw the driver-side window of her parked Toyota Yaris car smashed and Sat Nav equipment stolen on Foley Street, the 2FM star busily made calls on his Blackberry to a windscreen replacement company, while chatting with gardai from nearby Store Street station.

Approached by the Sunday Independent for comment shortly after finishing up his phone calls, Ryan still managed to raise a smile, despite the theft from his daughter’s car.

Clearly relieved that she at least was safe and well, Ryan shrugged and said: “Somebody just smashed the driver’s window.”

But he would not be drawn on the controversy about his salary.

“I’m not going to comment on that,” he said, before adding, “this [incident] is to do with my daughter. This is my family. Don’t you understand that? Do you not have a family? If you follow me, I’ll call the guards!”

As gardai left the scene on Foley Street, the broadcaster even managed to crack a joke, albeit one that RTE management might not find particularly amusing.

Getting into his daughter’s vandalised Yaris to drive it back to the family’s Clontarf home, the broadcaster quipped cheekily to onlookers, saying: “Look lads, it’s not a Ferrari!”

RTE Director General Cathal Goan is currently struggling to deliver immediate savings of 41m in the face of a 15 per cent fall in the State broadcaster’s revenues arising from a massive drop in its advertising income.

RTE is currently forecasting a shortfall of 68m for 2009 as a consequence of teh fall off.

“We built up people like Gerry Ryan to have enormous egos,” said an RTE management source.

"They become their public personas. We built him up to be bombastic, loud-mouthed and opinionated – because that’s what sells him to our listeners.

What he is doing now is just acting the maggot.

In a statement released yesterday afternoon, Tubridy said that while he had not been in a position up until now to take a reduction in his pay, his “legal situation” had changed in recent days.

The pressure on Tubridy to accept a reduction in his pay reached fever pitch last Friday morning, when a reporter from RTE’s Morning Ireland programme arrived into his radio studio in an attempt to interview him on the matter as he prepared to go on air.

Mr Tubridy is understood to have been taken completely by surprise by reporter Eleanor Burnhill’s approach to him just after 8.35am.

Sources at the station said that Mr Tubridy politely refused to answer Ms Burnhill’s questions, while staff on his show ushered her from the studio.

It is understood, however, that the presenter was appalled to find himself confronted while he was engaged in preparations for his show, which was due to go on air within the following 25 minutes.

It is understood the presenter lodged an official complaint, which RTE Director General Cathal Goan will consider."

• Advertisement

Nice to see that there was at least one journalist in RTE who tried to question Tubridy abour his salary.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Is Rónan still throwing his weight around Ashbourne Golf Club?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭ForestFire

How many Holidays is he actually entitled to, for this year? 11 days minimum anyway, but what's he's annual allowance?

Also, you usually have to work up your holidays. While most companies allow you to take your yearly holidays early if needed, not on the week you join the company and start taking your yearly entitlement straight away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

20 to 21 is minimum holidays in Ireland.

Most well paid people are getting and additional 20 days.

In many companies this exclude Chirstmas Week, so in many cases the average is 25 to 26 days, along with an increment every 2nd year of 1.

Your talking between 40 - 45 days for an executive in RTÉ or any company for that matter.

Salaries general assume your going to return to the office after your break/holiday, you don't generally have to work up holidays.

Kevin B would be entitled to 20 to 25 for this year.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 30,553 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Leo encourages people to pay their TV Licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

Fcuk off Leo. Must be hard to see your taxpayer sponsored mouthpiece struggling because of their own greed.

I couldn't care less if rte closed in the morning, i havent watched their news since the days of George Lee pulling himself apart over the covid death numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Leo would want to watch his words, being associated with a loser and a losing cause is not good for the old PR..

Be a shame if people started calling Varakar "Leo the Loser". :) It could be worse. He might want Tubridy back on Radio 1. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 30,553 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A big problem for RTE is a lot of there fans and Tubridy's are people who have a free license.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It's more a case of "negotiated" rather than entitled to. Most of the NKM stable appear to have 10-14 weeks off - I tracked Joe Duffy's shows for two years and he took just over 12 weeks off in both years. That was based on working days solely btw, not incl. Bank Holidays etc. Tubridy appears to have a similar arrangement, as do many of the others who host shows with their names on the door so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There's an ad running on RTE rdaio this past fortnight at least. It concerns some English fella called Jack Whitehall and has a cringy sting about Ron Weasley. Promotion is for some gig organised by Aiken Promotions, he's on for one night in October. Ad is heard frequently, could be 20 times a day easily.

Ceist: How on earth would the returns from this gig pay for all this advertising? And yer man and his entourage and Aiken Promotions.

I'm guessing this ad might be paid through the revealed barter system? So RTE could be giving all these often prime slots to Aiken Promotions are no or very reduced costs by way of barter.

But just what would Aiken Promotions be bartering back to RTE in return?????

Anyone any idea?

Hmmm. Never looked at it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I think you are doing a disservice to all other village celebrities out there, village idiot is more apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This will damage FG. Their complete lack of action and reform in the face of waste and corruption has been their trademark since 2011 despite the "New Politics" promises. We shall see people power now and they will be compelled to act.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

When Leo makes such statements, they actually serve as an incentive for people to do the opposite.

He's really sneaky though as you can bet that he will be saying to his colleagues: Hmm ok, we shall get it from general taxation so.

Which many here have stated: Will suit Backhurst and RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If they get a handout no questions asked it will backfire badly, but he does say it won't be without conditions and not til later in the year if needs be(?)

I am not sure he would be comfortable reading the morning papers. Many of the headlines will be nothing burger related for months to come.

It really is an absolute doss house isn't it. For completely overpaid cowboys. They were establishment untouchable until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

"In a statement released yesterday afternoon, Tubridy said that while he had not been in a position up until now to take a reduction in his pay, his “legal situation” had changed in recent days."

Shortly after that, Tubs was announced as the new host of TLLS. I wonder what legal situation had changed. Meanwhile, by 2012 his salary had risen to astronomical levels at €752,950 https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rtes-ryan-tubridy-got-100k-loyalty-bonus-k3gs5sjb5

After a quick search https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41169727.html

When Mr Tubridy took the 10% pay cut to which he committed in March 2009, is not immediately obvious.

In 2009 he is recorded as earning €519,667 — a cut of 2.56% on his 2008 pay.

The €645,500 earnings RTÉ declared he earned in 2010 were a 24.2% increase on what the broadcaster said he had been paid in 2009.

Meanwhile, the €723,000 RTÉ said he earned in 2011 was a 12% increase on the previous year.

His career-high earnings of €752,950 in 2012 — the benchmark by which he has referenced his earnings since then — saw an increase of around 4.41% on the previous year.

There is some very creative pay cut dodging going on at rte for years going by this.

But this pay dropped 34.2% to €495,000 in 2013.

Since then, the officially declared earnings for Mr Tubridy have risen by just over 4%, going from €495,000 in both 2013 and 2014, to the latest published amount of €515,000, in 2022.

His statement on Friday that referred to pay cuts he said he had endured over the years was issued after RTÉ admitted paying him €345,000 more than what it had stated publicly.

In its detailed statement, RTÉ said the extra money was paid between 2017 and 2022, and was above his annual published salary.

If we could see how much he actually got paid from 2008 - 2023 per year and in total including any bonuses or hidden payments and were to compare it to his initial 2008 salary with regular pay increases that would have been implemented and without any cuts, I wonder which one would be higher. I do not believe he has ever taken a pay cut there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gig tickets for giveaways. Wouldn't be done via a barter account cause there's no requirement to do so as each side has the exact thing the other wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

They’re still untouchable.

There is literally nothing happening and they are still playing wait and see tactics.

The boss is on holidays ffs. It’s hilarious.

This event should take down the whole organisation or at least wake the people of Ireland up to the abuse (and theft) of their money.

I’m interested to see how it plays out but I expect NOTHING to change fundamentally.

They may throw 1 or 2 people under the bus (could even be RT) to stem the tide of hate/frustration/disgust but nothing will change.

If we want change then the people need to pull back all financial support by not paying their licence fee to that disgusting waste of money.

Any politician coming out in support of RTE and suggesting ‘there will be change’ has lost sight of what the people want and is only interested in their own gain.

I hope the public take the time out of their day to let these politicians know how they feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

Imagine the company that you work for ask you to take a pay cut, as they are in financial difficulty and you tell them that you won't take a cut but will donate money to charity instead. Then you go off on a big, long spiel about charity. Am surprised that more people didn't see through him at that stage. What an absolute chancer he is. He did everything that he could to turn it back on them and tried to make RTE look bad. He never has had any loyalty to RTE.

Been thinking this over the past while or so

Most people live life within the means of their pay - the more they have the more they spend, the lower paid spend more frugally, the higher paid don't think so much about what things cost

I see Tubs in a predicament where he is used to getting 500k per year and spending accordingly, if that money is cut off, and zero replacing it, his savings will quickly decline - he needs that yearly pay to maintain his life style - this is why he is desperate to get back on the RTE gravy train (because no one else will take him), not because he loves working there (as he says) but because he can't live without that income (seen it many times with other RTE "stars")

He's got probably 30 years ahead of him. maybe more - will all the savings/investments he may have maintain his standard of living, I think not. A million or two in the bank is not much especially considering 5% deflation every year

• Advertisement

That's exactly what a barter account is meant to be used for - exchange of goods in one form or another, but usually in that scenario you would be charging the company to advertise/promote on a program and give away free tickets

This has been made abundantly clear that RTE have been giving away free advertising for freebies for themselves

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement