Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeds in a newly planted lawn

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Those things with the largish leaves are usually some kind of brassica (cabbage) and will eventually go away as a result of mowing and the grass taking over. You rarely see them in an established lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Going into my 3rd year of lawn, last year I put down 10-10-20 and mowed and mowed non stop and hand picked the weeds, but still the weeds persisted, I’ve a weed like ivy crawls under the grass and spreads out like tenticals then a yellow flower comes out(buttercup),

What should I do, any tips or help be great,
    Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

That's creeping buttercup, it pulls up very easily in my beds. Don't compost it and make sure you collect the cuttings when you mow as those runners spread like wildfire. I try not to use chemicals but for stubborn patches of this in the grass I use feed, weed & mosskiller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Hijacking old thread. Just wondering for a new lawn set last September, i have lots of thistles as in more thistles then grass in 1 part of the lawn. Have been mowing regularly with tractor lawnmower, maybe it needs to be cut even shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

Nah just keep what you're doing, they will eventually die out as they're not lawn weeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Actually bought this weeder thing that takers roots and all so gona attack them next few days. Would it make any sense to spray ground after pulling the thistles and then hope the grass grows in.

Advertisement