Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

Last year I more than doubled my initial Financial outlay so I can't be going too far wrong. What you think l will always fight for a higher price for Farmers who need a Financial boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭StevenToast

With the way prices are going I am giving some consideration to letting a batch of AAX and HEX (18) go overage and finish them before they are 36 months next Feb/Mar.....

I should have enough grass for them upto December and then finish or put in the shed for a few weeks....

They would pile on some weight and the price will surely recover somewhat....

Any logic to this...they are nicely fleshed at the moment, not sure how overfat they could get?

I paid a good price to the Farmer in Feb for them and id be lucky to get my money back on them the way things are going......

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

What weight are they now? If they are nicely fleshed and 600kg+ you'd be better of letting them go. Don't think you'll get the HE and AA bonuses over 30 months also. You should be able to pick up cheap replacements in a month or two that would be easier to winter and would increase value more over the winter.

Ya...theyd be hitting 600kgs now...

I think that is a fair point about buying in cheaper replacements in a couple of months...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'm doing that, going to kill early January, I've, please God, a trip to the maternity ward in the spring so I want the shed empty early on.

Saw over age and over fat heifers make as good as factory price in the mart this week, big whx but that might be different next week never mind next Jan.

I'm not too fussed either way, a sad state of affairs but I think if there weren't times you wouldn't dip in enthusiasm in beef you'd be a hard machine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Robson99

This year you will be very lucky to get what you paid for them in the spring. The arse is going to fall out of store cattle over the next 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It might seem logical but with Hereford and AA cattle it depends on how much of the AA and HE bonus you lose. Generally the HE bonus is 10/kg locally but is not paid on over 30 months . The AA will probably pay part of the bonus over 30 months but it's 10c instead of 20c/kg.

Off a 4.65/kg base you get 4.83-4.93 for HE and AA cattle grading O+.

Even give that they grade R next February at a base of 5/kg you are looking at a price of 5.08 and 5.18 for HE and AA off that base.

@StevenToast the first loss is usually the cheapest loss. Say you carry them to February you are facing into the same mistake as last Spring paying too much for stores

You will buy around the edges at present and pick you coloured cattle for 2.2-2.4/ kg. They will do 100+ kgs cheap gain on grass, they will need no meal.over the winter and hit grass next spring. You will have a better chance of having some of them gone by July.

I am dribbling cattle into the factory in bunches of 2-4 getting no spectacular price but replacing as I go along. Have 40 cattle bought for net year. Have three tall HO bullocks that will not be hung until next June. The stores are probably averaging 650/ head and are 50/50 Friesians and Continental's.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Friend rang the factory just over a week ago to get in a mix of 20 cattle which included 5 cull suckler cows. Was told to ring back today & they might be able to take them next week. I was standing beside him in the Mart yesterday & the factory rang him to see if he could have the 5 cows down for 6 this morning. He told them if he was going with 1 he was bringing all. They told him come on. They must be short of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

Surely Cattle prices have to go up the Turks will be back for our Weanlings and Factories will have to get in line if they want the flesh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

No why should they...if I was a factory owner I wouldn't... they control the UK and Ireland kill. They now have a massive feedlot to pull from. They will have the margins protected at all costs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Correct.

As @wrangler often said on here, factories could pay even less and they’d still have lads lining up to give them cattle.

Farmers are always on a slippery slope towards cattle going overage, over fat, over-stocked and need to buy replacements, silage running out, grass getting scarce, etc.

You can’t pause nature and factories have built their empires on that fact.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

From only week ago

"With Irish cattle supplies expected to tick up towards the end of the year, and demand forecast to remain subdued in key export markets, this may point to further pressure on Irish prices."

The last sentence of article.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

Irish cattle puts manners on the British price. Its vital to have meat plants in both jurisdictions.

Post edited by kk.man on

How bad is it this week?

Send what I would consider my worst load of bullocks to the factory yesterday. All Friesians those small butty ones that will neither grow, finish or put on weight. There was also an 38 month old Bullock that that we bought as a single that we were not watching the board probably regarding his age.

1XO=......4XO- and 2XP+. Three were over 30 months so QA on three only.

Average DW weight 305kgs from 293-336kgs. 38 month Bullock lightest.

Average LW at purchase 345kgs

Average cost 580 inc fees

Average length of time on farm 11.5 months.

Average factor price 1335 net of slaughter fees

Gross return 755 euro

Net margin 305 euro allowing 450 costs (472 inc mart and Slaughter fees)

They did ok grading saved the bacon IMO probably very marginal on that bunch. However they wouldn't be gone without feeding for about 7-9 weeks which depended on when they went into the finishing bunch.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Is 450 not a big high for the length of stay on farm. Thought 400 should cover it

I would not like to be fooling myself. I will probably feed slightly over 200kg/head at a bit over 70 euro at present it's 35c/kg of ration. However they wouldn't be out the door without it. Too many push up the meal bill too few reduces the output. While I have reduced numbers from last year my output (numbers) would be high for a grass based system especially for poor conversion animals.

450 it is.

Slava Ukrainii

Thanks for that info .Must go through my costs again. Buy 450 kg in autumn selling from now on . Feed meal for first winter. Would be very hard to feed meal at grass. Would get trampled on at my age.

Feeding meal at grass is all about set up. If they are used to an electric fence you can fence them out while you fill the troughs or fence a corner outside the gap to feed them in.

I had two bunches feeding 17 in one and 15 in the other. I was feeding them inside the gaps most of the time except during the very wet weather.

I am 61. I do not feed meal in the shed while housed

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

I’ve to tighten up my paddock grazing and grazing groups. Horsing meal into the heaviest cattle to keep them fit, grass quality has got away from me.

More water troughs and pigtails for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I use the tall white posts when strip grazing the meadows this time of year in a leader follower system. Once you get the calves trained they fly. Leaves it easier to wean when at grass too

74 here with two new knees so need to watch myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Aly Daly

I am looking for a bit of advice as a hobby beef farmer,I normally only keep friesans but there is a big tall Blonde bullock (approx 720kg) who will be 30mths on September 5th.I don't intend to sell the friesan bullocks until oct/Nov,would I lose much letting him go over 30 months to stay with the others.He is on very good grass but has had no meal as yet,I intend to start feeding everything this weekend,the farm is QA.Thank you in advance.

If he has not got fat cover on him I be holding him. If he has fact cover hang him under the thirty months.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

are there many non suckler beef farmers on this forum? like beef farmers that dont calve cows? it kind of puts me off all the beef open days like Grange etc, they seem to be dominated by talk about sucklers cows, bulls and breeding and very little on systems like buying in weanlings and yearlings to finsh systems. anytime you ask questions on it the advisors sound like their bluffing a lot? is it more economics and business more than science and thus they get a bit stuck for answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

Very little.

In theory your QA will drop from 20 to 8 cent so you lose 12 cent.

From my experience of blonde cattle they are slow to flesh. You description of 'big tall' would suggest he is true to his breading and will take feeding to hit 2+ or better fat score so you need to feed on.

After feeding he should grade better and ko better so you have chance of getting some of your loss back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Steers and heifers aged 30 to 36 months grading will attract a payment of 8c/kg provided all the in-spec criteria (above) are met so basically You’ll lose 12 cent.

but if he’s not fit then you’re better off keeping him and feeding him on.

Good few on here that have different beef system from calf to store to beef.

Problem with Teagasc and most other beef advisors they are all calf to beef systems and most are high cost systems on fairly good quality or better land.

They are generally pushing high output systems involving finishing under 24 months. With the drop in quality in dairy bred cattle they tend to not realise the implications of it.

As well the amount of lads that do. Alf to beef are few enough. It's mostly calf to store or store to beef systems.

Costs are the killer in farming systems. It's often not possible to recover any margin( actually many high costs system reduce profitability) from higher costs and these system.often involve a serious workload. For instance in the demo farms they often bring cattle I to the yard to feed them them during the finishing period off grass every day to feed ration.

That is hugely time consuming as you have to wait for them to finish before hunting them back out again.

This forum is pretty good different lads doing different systems. Ask away any questions and we will see if we can answer them.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

what more can teagasc do, everything they could possibly give you regarding , grassland management,animal husbandry is available for free . in grange newford or any of them places, all the cattle are slaughtered, so a weanling or yearling to finish system happens just after the cattle are weaned

• Advertisement

I always think its a mugs game trying to finish Friesian after September. You need really dry weather to have any chance. If they are heavy they need 5+kgs of nuts and probably access to silage as well.

I try to have most finished by end of September. Actually I slaughter the vast majority under 30 months most at an O- grade.

A Friesian Bullock will only break even at best from September on IMO. If you slaughtered Friesians over the last 4 weeks at an average of O-grading you got 4.5-4.7/kg. By now the vast majority are gone over 30 months unless they grade O= you are looking at a price (assuming they drop the base another 20-30c at a price of 4-4.15/ kg for O- grading Friesians

I have killed 27 friesians mostly under 30 months since mid May they have averaged above 1583 euro along with 3 over 36 month animals that averaged 1780. The underage ones would need need to hang 385 kgs to make that in October/ November at a 4.1 base They have averaged about 70/ head in ration costs. Across the lot they have averaged about 340 kgs DW

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement