Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That isn't really the win that the Trump fans think it is.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

No no, literally the judge has the final say in Court’s of law.

These are basic facts. A jury decides verdicts but it is the judge that makes rulings based on said verdicts.

This is very simple stuff and it’s baffling that it has to be explained to some people just because they support Donald Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,628 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And under Irish law it would be rape.

So there we have it.

Trump is a rapist.

Incredible the hills some people pick to fight and lose on.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is it really? It occurs quite often that basic things have to be (unsuccessfully) explained to some people because they support Donnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's funny how all these non fans of Trump spend pages and pages being...fans of Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

"Trump is a rapist.

Incredible the hills some people pick to fight and lose on."

It isn't really when you get down to the nub of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In the real world, prosecuters looking for trial to start on Jan 2nd 2024 in the attempt to defraud the voters cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

For complete unambiguous clarity, can someone translate/elaborate as to what is meant above by a "a rapist in the general sense of the word"?

Does it mean someone who forcefully has sex with someone else? Would that not be the universal definition of what a rapist is?

How much 'narrower' is the New York definition?

Or, why did the judge feel that some sort of amendment or clarification was needed when the clarification is then so unclear?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Digital penetration(fingers) versus his penis, it wasn't clear to Carroll which so under New York law, only the latter is rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,425 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

They think trump won an election that he didn't so their definitions for winning and losing are flimsy at best

• Advertisement

It's worth highlighting that in elections, people aren't necessarily voting for the most moral and ethical person. It's not a papal race.

That's why Trump continues to remain high in the polls despite all the scandals attached to him. People believe in his vision for the country and the future, even if it means overlooking some personal flaws that Trump may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,773 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Trump's lawyer - your honour, my client's penis is so small, the accuser couldn't tell if it was his finger or penis

Judge - fair enough, he didn't rape her.

Trump fans - WHAT A WIN!!!!

Being a rapist with 78 criminal charges awaiting trial is a little bit more than a bit immoral/unethical... Rape is literally one of those things that is viewed as the lowest of the low so sharing his vision is still a pretty bad reason to vote for him. It's like saying "I can ignore the rape, the hijacking of an election and incitement of a riot cause I like his vision", historically that's more reminiscent of voting a tyrant in. Eg Duterte or Hitler. He hasn't murdered anyone yet but I'm sure you'd achieve some moral calculus to justify voting for him...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭briany

Trump literally incited a group of people to storm the U.S. Capitol. He's under several federal indictments. He's been found liable for violating a woman. He's on tape trying to convince the Georgia SoS to somehow come up with more votes for him, even though there was no credible evidence of electoral fraud. He's on tape admitting that he couldn't declassify those documents, but still wanted to show them off (not to mention trying to avoid giving them back). I mean, I could go on and on, here, but I'll try to just keep it to a few of the highlights which are jumping out at me at this point in time.

Remember when U.S. politicians used to be normal? Or at least normal enough that any one of the above would be an unquestioned career-ender, and both parties could agree that this kind of behaviour was completely unacceptable?

People who are pushing back on the rape claim - even allowing that, it obviously does not anywhere near rehabilitate his character to where he has any kind of business being an elected official. Then again, maybe it's time that America admits that their politics has become so performative and oppositional that Trump actually kind of is the perfect representation of around one half of their electorate (including nose holders who are still voting for him).

The great value of Trump, really, is how much he upsets the other side. I'm perfectly happy to admit that when Trump was first elected, I thought it was a good laugh. It was a riveting night. Hillary was unbearably smug and condescending right throughout that whole campaign season. It did feel like it served her right in many ways. But... it's just not been worth it. He has directly contributed to the increasing division of American politics, and I don't mean in the way of CNN attacking him, but with his regular all-caps declarations specifically designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator and keep people angry. The idea of a sitting US president or former US president angrily tweeting in all caps every day feels like it is literally lifted out of Idiocracy. No hyperbole. He was still in office and tweeted, "I WON BY A LOT". A six year old says that when they fail to accept not winning a 1st class art contest, not an adult man. It's nuts that this is where American political discourse has gotten to where that just breezed by, almost.

Again, my very exasperation at Trump still being a major contender for political office is what some people enjoy. Not my exasperation specifically, but you know what I mean. Is it worth it, though? Isn't that just complete nihilism? "I don't want to make things better! I just want to annoy people I hate!" What is that? Is that not a road to hell?

I wonder if anyone arguing this point would care two jots about the strictest legal interpretation if it happened to a female friend or relative of theirs.

I would imagine the distinction would be beyond ****ing irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What vision? MAGA isn't a vision, it's a tagline.

Health care? No, doesn't understand it and finds it a bit complicated.

Infrastructure? What was his big plan for that?

Green energy? Education? Housing? Financial regulation?

Nothing. The man has no vision apart from him being POTUS.

People don't support Trump because of his vision. I haven't heard one vox pop say that. Lots of 'he'll tells it like it is', 'he is a great businessman', 'he's going to drain the swamp' etc.

But nothing about his vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I always enjoy the drain the swamp bit when all he actually did was make the swamp deeper and more swampy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I really find the “he’s not a rapist, he’s a sexual offender” defence utterly awful.

so what?

A: It’s really not any better

B: The judge said he committed rape.

Lads, look at yourselves. You should be ashamed for standing by your man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randd1

The GOP no longer have a vision. They exist purely to cut taxes for the rich, make their base angry, and make Trump happy whatever it takes.

Trump merely used their non-policy as a vehicle to rile up the base even more with even more anger, to the point it is now a cult dedicated to his outbursts.

The both sides argument may have held water once, but in the last two decades (and in particular since a black guy became president) the GOP has started to eat itself from within to the point that only for a few of the more saner heads it would be completely the Trump party now, and even with that it’s very close.

Honestly, the Democrats are the only ones that seem interested in governing. All the Republicans seem to care about is turning the country over to a Republican dictator who’ll end the “liberal agenda” (whatever the f*ck that’s meant to be).

I honestly believe if Trump does get back into power, he’ll attempt, in his pathetic man-child total snowflake mindset, along with his acolytes like MTG and Gaetz in congress, to take “revenge” on the democratic and legal institutions in the US that tried to hold him to account for his obvious crimes to the point that he’ll end the US itself as different states withdraw from the union. At the very least, there’ll be real blood on the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Let me guess, the DOJ seized upon Trump's public complaints that 'the DOJ waited too long to try me' etc. - I would have put it in the motion personally. While the defendant motions for the need to delay delay delay in court the DOJ reminds him that, actually, this trial can go much faster if he wants, so he can get on with the election/campaign race, as he has repeatedly argued in his posts over the past few weeks.

edit: close, they cite this letter and point out Trump tried to tell the judge he was starting from a blank slate with his defense against these charges, but in fact it is shown he's been fully informed of and appraised of investigations into himself for a long while now.

etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Rollingstone reporting that the Georgia indictments will be very sweeping and cover a lot of Trump's stooges. Might be a big RICO indictment.

And, being indicted in Georgia doesn't prevent one from being indicted in Federal court.

It might explain why it's been awhile for this indictment to come out - it's not just the obvious "find me 11,780 votes" event but everyone that helped Trump get to that point, including those nims that snuck into the election center in Coffee county and downloaded data illegally.

Would love to see the Georgia DA RICO Trump's election apparatus. Even more amusing if some of the conspirators are involved with his current campaign.

Paywalled, so: "Trump’s Allies Prepare for Indictments in Georgia Probe: ‘They’re Coming for Everyone’

(https://archive.li/OeiV9)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Willis and Smith are the heavy cases. Willis has an open field, esp as the judgement cannot be pardoned. Next week will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

His vision for the country is for him to be President regardless of the result of free and fair elections. Even setting aside the fact that he's a steaming ar*ehole of a person on a human level, he's a clear and active danger to democracy over there. No one individual in US history has done more to sow division and discord in the general population. If you'd been paying attention over the past 7 years you should know that, though.

Imagine taking your taking points from Lauren ****ing Boebart

Be proud of yourselves, fellow posters!!

I take leave to disagree. The US is incredibly divided today not because of Donald Trump, but because of far-left intersectionality and identity politics. Donald Trump is the outcome of that division, not the cause. That's a different debate entirely, one unsuited to the purpose of this thread, so I'll leave it there.

But to suggest that Trump is the primary cause for today's social division and discord in the United States is quite simply absurd. It's to not understand the nature of the causes of that division.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What other US individual do you propose has done more to sow division and discord in the general population of the United States?

The groups -- not any one individual -- that tried to force identity politics and the green agenda and all that far-left nonsense into US society, brought Donald Trump on themselves.

They are responsible for Donald Trump even existing as a political candidate.

If you don't want the kind of candidate like Donald Trump appearing on the scene, perhaps the far-left should reel in their agenda and stop foisting it upon everyone else in society. That would curtail the likes of Trump and his equivalent from even acquiring the remotest of sympathy from the general public.

Combatting climate change is far left now? Wild... By the above logic, most of the EU is far left. The GOP latched onto identity politics to create an enemy, they'd fail to prevent same sex marriage etc so they needed a new big bad. So now that includes everything from sex education to the history of slavery to books... If anything he's more a symptom of a decaying GOP that are becoming more and more irrelevant as the years go on cause they don't adjust to social change.

• Advertisement

Extreme climate change fanatics are far-left, who think the world will turn to embers in three decades - yes, they are extreme; and they want ordinary working people to pay the cost of that extremism (note they are typically from very modest middle to upper class backgrounds). Working class communities have been decimated because of left-wing ideology (how ironic), and many of those same people understandably turned to Trump (a non-left wing candidate) when he said this was quite clearly wrong.

Look, I think green energy is a good idea, but it's marketed wrong. Persuade people on health and environmental grounds and so on, but don't force people to succumb to the doom-laden predictions of extremists. And all this effort is in vain the same time that poorer countries, such as India and China, continue to pump out pollution at ever greater volumes.

So yes, Trump speaks sense when it comes to so-called "climate change". The climate has never stopped changing, and it never will stop. The term is a misnomer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement