Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,389 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Read Leo Varakar’s multiple historical statements. I would say that encourages them.

look at the exquisite treatment compared to what they are accustomed to, that encourages them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

One application dealt within 7 -14 days if denied, deported,

Not unlimited appeals funded by tax payers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭suvigirl

No it's not.

People claim asylum, their claims are decided, their fingerprints and photographs are taken and then they get leave to remain or are told they cannot.

That is not uncontrolled, it's probably the most controlled way of dealing with foreigners, apart from visa holders.

You just pointed out yourself that there are many of them living in tents in the streets.

So not so much housing and feeding at all then........

what type of healthcare do you think they need? I barely ever go to the doctor, how often do you go? Being part of the public health system in this country isn't the draw you seem to think it is! I know I wouldn't be without private health insurance.

They are some big draws alright!

Can you point out those statements where he has encouraged asylum seekers?

Exquisite treatment? Such as sleeping in tents on the streets? Sleeping in disused buildings?

Compared to what they are used to? What would that be?

• Advertisement

There isn't unlimited appeals.

Everyone agrees the system should be much quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 25,389 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

"Hope they find a new home in Ireland,"  is one such statement.

full social welfare, free healthcare, free public transport, ultimately housing…. Exquisite treatment. Yep.

Brilliant, a sentence in quotation marks, anyone can do that.....

They don't get full social welfare.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks free healthcare is so great, then complains about the health system!

Free public transport? Wow. Brilliant. Why wouldn't ya come to Ireland for free public transport........

Ultimately housing? You will have to explain that because as far as I know the government do not guarantee homes for anyone......there are tent cities of asylum seekers in town.

And what are they used to elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

So you agree that they can all come to Ireland to claim asylum.

Thats what I am saying.

• Advertisement

That's not uncontrolled though, they are under massive controls. And it is entirely government policy as to where they live.

All UK and EU citizens can come to live here uncontrolled, do you have any issue with that?

What controls exactly like strict vetting process and deportations

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Jeez I think I know what I was saying myself, 🙄

You can go off on your own tangent if you want, but the previous poster said others were conflating numbers of immigrants and refugees to muddy the waters.

I said.. this is a thread about immigrants which includes all types refugees and those otherwise, unlike the other thread.

Its in the posts which you misread but now are digging in instead of having the grace to admit it

In fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

My take on this is pretty simple. Anyone who is against giving food or shelter to those less fortunate than themselves shouldn't bother their arse going next nor near any church, mosque, temple or whatever ever again. Not that you need to be part of any religious cult to know what is the right thing to do.

Less fortunate who are spending in cases tens of thousands of euros to get their country of choice then to claim asylum while tax payers fund their accommodations ,food , medical and legal bills .

I wouldn't call them less fortunate when we have people who are either homeless or struggling to keep a roof over their heads , are going to be given golden tickets to fly to a country of their choice to have a better life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Hamachi

One of the more confused posts I’ve encountered I must say.

This isn’t Ellis island in the 19th century. Most immigrants arriving in Ireland aren’t the poor, the destitute, or the huddled masses.

It then ends with a side swipe at the religious, those who are more likely to be somewhat charitable.

Peculiar to say the least..

I don't know why you addressed this to me as I had not posted to you and as just seeing this now will address each and every one of your points so you don't feel I am ignoring you.

The way you personally have a go at me in your post over NOTHING I have said ever makes me think you are having difficulty separating fact from reality so here goes...

1.Ever increasing homeless exist before the refugees came in higher numbers to Ireland , not a new issue and recently made worse by our governments' charming decision to lift the eviction ban.

2. Likewise waiting lists and A+E.. Nothing to do with the economy everything to do with poor management and lack of attention over the last 40 to 50 years. This I could talk to you all day about but I have posted my thoughts on the relevant threads so would be off topic here.

3.Rental viewings are a product of demand due to the housing crisis which has been allowed to build and build since post crash due to inadequate and hopeless housing ministers and government lack of action./urgency.

4. Hotel prices. This is just greed by hoteliers plain and simple.

5. Emigrating youth.

This is ongoing for decades and will be. More are returning now than in the past.

6. So its all refugees mugging people now? This again is a strawman. No gardaí is another.

7. Another strawman conflating housing for teachers, with immigrants.

Every single point you make speaks of a government who have not taken sufficient or urgent action about any of these issues for the last 15 years.

The first 5 of those was down to the economy which was in shreds post crash.

The rest was them sitting on their laurels once things began to recover and not being proactive when hospital waiting lists, lack of housing, rental queues and prices of accomodation were shooting up.

It is easy to use every point as you have above to blame immigrants. The amount coming in is obviously stretching already pressured resources.

However it is a classic antiimmigration ploy to try to subvert peoples opinion away from blaming the root causes of these issues and saying...

"Look there, its' THEM that are causing these problems, everything will be better if we control /get rid of THEM "!

It won't.

We need to vote in a government capable of and with the interest to tackle urgently all of these problems.

Even if immigration was controlled in the morning and refugees were turned back and deported we would still have all the problems listed above.

I am not in favour of economy above all else, far from it,

What I said and you deliberately took to attack me was that bringing back a hard border as the other poster suggested would cause more harm inckuding a double whammy to the economy.

(Its a ludicrous suggestion to think that Ireland would be ok if we had a hard border.)

I don't have to go into all the benefits here on the thread since the GFA.

Never mind the economy.

I would also venture to say that posts here like yours above alluding to all the crises in our country, and blaming them on ' the nasty immigrants', some of whom as statistics reveal are either returning emigrants, (our own children), or workers from EU or other countries who are badly needed here and are filling jobs and paying taxes here in Ireland.

The issues of housing health, accomodation etc are not of their making and it is the government and mamagement of the economy that is dysfunctional if they go unaddressed.

Vent your anger appropriately if you want change.

Venting and blaming immigrants, NGOs doing their jobs, and OTHER POSTERS like you did with me there is immature at the least and tending towards far right at the worst.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

And what about Irish people who need these benefits?

Unemployment numbers in Ireland are at their lowest point, almost full employment.

The people you are talking about here then are people with long term disabilities etc.

This is not a case of someone who just 'won' t ' take up a job, but has too many difficulties to make it pay.

Its off topic here but its well documented that people with disabilities and medical issues are subject to all sorts of discrimination and financial costs trying to get to a job they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Well if you found a straight to the point 7 line post confusing then as they say " it's not me it's you". Of course the fact is you fully understood the post but don't feel comfortable with some home truths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Look sorry to be making the same reply but you keep making the same point that taking in unlimited numbers is not the fault of immigrants. We can say the government should have done x, y, z but we are where we are. Taking in more only puts more pressure on existing services.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

We get figures on how many deportation orders are signed but we never seem to be able to find out how many of them are actually put on a plane and kicked out of the country.

We don't have a system like they have in Australia or America where once a deportation order is signed the illegal is moved to a detention centre and then removed from the country whether they like it or not.

But of course nobody in Government has the stones to do this, instead we just hope they will decide to leave voluntarily.

It's ok. We are all like broken records here at this stage on all sides ;)

My point is that it is not the number of immigrants only , but the policies pursued in all these areas by repeated governments over the last couple of decades that have caused congestion, lack of accomodation , services etc

Our numbers of migrants will go up and down from year to year as they have done before , but no point blaming these people (or even as above posts have , social welfare benefits ) for the position which you and others say we are in .

I don't believe the government are doing all they can even now to alleviate the situation.

As has been said before more effort needs to be put into processing asylum applications faster , and deporting those who have failed . People should be moved on before the 6 months window if at all possible .

This is being done but there is a very large backlog .

A quick turnaround would discourage those that are not genuine and are only coming here to work from outside the UK and EU illegally .

It is absolutely correct that those involved in criminality or those with warrants against them should be deported straight away they are located ..enforced deportation .

Again this is a problem with those that migrate from Europe or UK as they are not checked until they come to the attention of the gardaí.

We don't know what the numbers of those are . Anybody ?

The eviction ban needs to be reimposed , a cap on rents and more help for tenants in high rent areas .

Some people here are calling for less SW benefits to try to discourage migrants. How would that help anyone in need in Ireland ? Sounds a bit strange to me to make a bad situation worse.

If it was just restrictions to migrants , you are getting into all sorts of legalities with regards discrimination .

The only step would be to go back to DP for as long as asylum processing goes on , which if it was happening quicker might work.

Another talking about fast food workers / industry and English schools as supporting migrants ? How many are we talking about here ? More checks on these companies'/ establishments' employees papers would be the obvious answer like the Smerican ICE , but maybe its not deemed asbigofa problem here necessitating that ? I don't know..maybe somebody else can comment here ...

The most obvious solution to our housing crisis is more social housing being built by local councils on publicly owned land, and not by private developers . It has been called for years now . The current model is too slow , allows for too many delays and subsequent price hikes by landowners and developers, and is pushing house prices up year on year .

Before that happens immigration will continue and the pressure will be felt . We are presently so attractive to others because of our climate, our benefits, our wealth , even though we would question these positive points ourselves . To many ,it is Nirvana .

Our immigration numbers will go down when news filters out that accomodation is so expensive/ so cramped / or not available. And people are being processed and knocked off benefits quicker .

While Direct Provision is nominally gone, hostel accomodation or housing in disused hotels / buildings is the same thing essentially . Only once people have their applications accepted should they be put on lists for housing and then by need not in front of citizens. Or if they are working encouraged to leave and fund their own accomodation.

Nobody in Ireland has been promised "own door "accommodation so why that was promised to anybody else is a question ROG should answer to an Oireachtais committee to make that clear .

Having said that I question what other departments of the government are doing to help?

Are all the other ministers staying well clear so that they can say the failure of the DoCEDIY is a GreenParty / O'Gorman issue ?

Surely the ministers for Housing , for Social Welfare, for Public Expenditure and Reform, for Foreign Affairs, not to mention the Taoiseach and Tánaiste , are just as much implicated in this current crisis as perceived by part of the population? All we have had from them is public statements " saying " they support ROG , but not a whole lot else .

The only one who did was Harris and because of the student accomodation problem he has had to row back support .

Yes , I blame this and successive governments for failing to manage our money and our country properly .

Also I see this not as a major crisis but just one more issue that has been mismanaged and is being blown up out of proportion to every other problem in Ireland by some people , a minority .

Myself and most people I know are more aggravated by the housing / rental and health situation , and see the immigrant issue as a peripheral one .

And I wonder how many people here , anecdotes aside, live in an area where there is a large concentration of migrants , legal , illegal, EU , non EU , working or otherwise , and are not here just opining on something that they just don't like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Hamachi

The ability to deliver home truths requires a degree of lucidity I’m afraid..

Apparently it's expensive is the latest answer to questions on actual deportations going back over the few decades

Taking in more immigrants? Do you suggest we should stop all immigrants?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

Correct. And these low paid workers pay tax and prsi, etc. And provide an essential.service. most are EU members (eastern europeans), many others came here legally on visas ( india, brazil, philippines for example).

Its the illegal economic immigrants who come solely for the generous welfare system, with the housing / accomidation & medical card trimmings and have no intention to work legally ( in fear they lose the welfare benefits) , are the ' immigrants ' that most have issues with, including me.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Hodger

David mcwilliams has written up a good article on growing the population further immigration and budget spending its a recommended read.

https://davidmcwilliams.webflow.io/articles/ireland-must-spend-money-or-risk-social-implosion-as-population-grows?fbclid=IwAR1997FaOEHp2vazh60rpnSuP-ftr6cmG91GZ5AyVHir9JA5CqjBMVtmHeI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Illegal economic immigrants can't claim benefits, so I assume you mean asylum seekers. They can only apply for permission to work if they have not received a decision on your application in 5 months. Almost two thirds of adults in direct provision with status to remain here are currently working. A further 9% had worked within the last six months. Protection applicants receive a weekly allowance of €38.80

• Advertisement

If they have status to remain and working why are they living free of charge in dp centres, places that some have claimed that are horrendous living conditions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement