Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your First Golf Memories ?

Options
  • 05-08-2023 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't done a thread in a while - and typically I'm over nostalgic and romantic about the past and golf.

But was looking to start a thread on your first golf experience - memories of the past - the equipment - how it happened. In my mind this was an 80s thread , but the more I considered the topic , I said , should be more inclusive , early Tiger Woods at this stage is almost 30 years old.

So post anything on as far back as you can think , why it was important to you, where and who were you with, Why does golf transcend the normal for you.

What was the equipment , where was the special place or moment , when was - this is the thing for me

Anyway - a fully nostalgic thread. Can involve multiple posts too on , events, rounds, equipment , success failure.

I'll post when a few come in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I guess I did come late to a full golf life Fix.

Coming from a working class childhood, golf was really a thing that was beyond my access and comprehension. My introduction was through pitch&putt as there were a couple of nice little courses in the Tallaght area within a relatively short walk. So really my earliest memories are being brought to Bohernabreena P&P with my dad, uncle and cousin and stopping off for them to have a pint on the way home and for me to have a Britvic Orange and a packet of pub crisps.

Getting hold of a Commando golf ball was a treat and really made you feel you were going to be able to "spin it"

A gang of me and my mates would also do out best to try sneak onto Glenville, a private members P&P club for rounds during the summer. You'd hope you weren't spotted and that they would think you were just junior members.

From there, my family (lots of uncles on both sides, big Ballyfermot families) set up a P&P society out of Elm Hall, over Celbridge direction. I have 4 memories from that time.

1. Playing with a cousin and on the 4th hole he had the first ever hole-in-one I'd ever seen. We were jumping around the place, as only a couple of kids can do. That same day I won the society singles comp for the first and only time. The only kids there and surrounded by smiling family.

2. They ran a 2 man scramble comp around Christmas, was a new format to me. Was paired with an uncle who was a decent player. I was terrible off the tee, but I had 3/4 chip ins and made multiple birdie putts. We won the comp and I remember him laughing afterwards saying how "He was sh1te off the tee, but couldn't miss around the greens)

3. I was hit by a golf ball for the first time ever there. Walking to the first tee and here a shout. Someone had hit a shot through the 18th green and it hit me straight in the hand. Left a nasty bruise.

4. This is more of a sad memory for me than a nostalgic one. Playing with my Grandad, who was a very hard man. Was cold, wet and miserable in the winter at the time and I was playing rubbish. He was really aggressive towards me and bordering on a bit abusive. I remember just spending the last few holes on the course trying not to cry. Was a tough day for me, and has always stuck with me.

I have 1 memory of a round of golf in my youth. My Godfather has a load of brothers, some of whom live away I'm Canada. They were all home together so organised a golfing get together. He invited me and my Dad, they were best friends growing up. So my dad begged, borrowed and stole his way to putting together 2 sets of mismatched clubs and off we went. Stepped up on the first tee with an old wooden Slavenger 1-wood, and hit it perfectly out the middle up the fairway. After which my Godfather announced "That's my Godson" to a little cheer from everyone around the tee box. Remember nothing else of the day, but it still makes me smile.

After that, it was really just heading to the local field, with that set of old clubs and some beaten up balls with mates and trying to hit balls as hard as possible. Swinging like a maniac and hoping you didn't slice a ball onto the road beside the Park or at one of the houses facing onto it.

I never went to a pro event as a kid, but still remember my dad talking about one. He got a ticket, through work to an old Benson and Hedges Irish Open. He followed John Daly around the course and I can still remember him saying "he hit the ball miles alright, but the most amazing things I saw him do were with a wedge in his hand around the greens. I didn't think it was possible to hit some of those shots"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

God, my very first memory on a golf course is one where my Dad took me out for the walk. Mum probably wanted a break from me and Dad wanted to golf. The only thing I remember is him saying that we'll have to find his ball. We walked towards it and I found it and picked it up and gave it to him. Which he found funny. It's a completely insignificant memory, other than the fact that I was so young, certainly before I started school. I'd struggle to list 10 memories from that age.

Fast forward to 1998 and I became a member in Tramore. Before I got to go out on the course I went to play pitch and putt with my brother and friend. I brought 5 balls with me, the others about the same and we had to walk in from the 4th hole because we ran out of balls. My biggest memory from that is being annoyed at my Dad laughing at me! Looking back, I can see why it was funny, but there were hedges and bushes everywhere and we were blading everything. The 4th hole required you to play over two hedges. So that was the end of that round!

The other fairly solid memory from the start of my golfing life was the first comp I played in. We went around with an adult for a 7 hole beginners comp, we all had 3 shots per hole and played from the ladies tees. I was happy enough to finish with 7 points and won a top flight for it, which I still have in a cup in my room. By far the thing I remember most that day though was taking a divot on a practice swing. I started to take another practice swing and at the top of my swing I hear the adult say "replace the divot." I start to say that I'll replace it after the shot, rather than walk forward and back any time you take a divot on a practice swing and he interrupts with "replace the divot." I try to explain again and he interrupts again - "replace the divot." Since that round, it has become a running joke with my mate I was playing with that day. A joke that's lasted 25 years and I'm still laughing thinking about it. Don't get me wrong - fair play to him for coming out with us. But on the other hand, if I saw someone in front of me repairing divots from their practice swing before taking their shot I'd be tempted to fire a ball down on him. If you're going to teach kids how to behave on a golf course, teach them the right things to do. And listen to what they're saying!

But the junior program in Tramore was fantastic. The pro did a weekly group lesson for the juniors which gave everyone a great grounding in the basics of the game. But the lads on the junior committee gave huge time to us. There was a comp every Friday in Summer and a few on holidays throughout the winter. And at every one of those there were a few committee members at them. We had two Junior Convenors in my time as a junior and they were both fantastic. On top of those weekly comps, there were buses organised to junior opens in nearby clubs, again with a few committee members at each. And my memories as a junior are completely muddled up from those years. I have countless memories from the bar after those comps, looking at the lads finishing on the 18th, teeing off on 17 and hitting onto 16. I certainly remember the baskets of chips after the rounds and the sausages and chips / toasted specials when I fancied treating myself. And checking to see what barman was on when I went in because one of them was so stingy on the Miwadi to water ratio. There's all sorts of nonsense talked about great and terrible pints of Guinness, but pints of Miwadi is where they need proper training. And I've countless memories from the practice area, I still remember particular shots in particular ones from matchplay matches that I won. But I struggle to recall stories or anecdotes from those years. In just the same way that I remember going to the beach any sunny day and never ending football matches on the green, going golfing was just part of my teen years. They're nice times to think back on though, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Great idea for a post. I was introduced to the game by my uncle who was golf mad and used to bring me to Pitch and Putt out in cotters and Elm Hall in Celbridge. Cotters is now the Celbridge driving range after they got rid of the course and put in the football pitches. Lucan golf club around the corner, that we always passed on the way into town on the bus, was always my idea of what golf was and reminds me of my Uncle every time I'm there. His reputation as a golfer is only slightly tarnished, after discovering at his funeral, that he was a notorious sandbagger. You have to be bad for it to come up on that day of all of them.

My Dad eventually took up the mantle of bringing me on the regular and we both got pretty decent. Sadly he can't manage the full golf experience but they are great memories. Still remember the moment I was able to get it past the green on the last hole in Elm Hall thats hugging the trees on the left. Think it was 100 yrds and flying the green was almost better than getting it on the putting surface. The owner of the place was not a fan of mine and, playing into that, I might not have completed all my rounds in the final years of playing there.

Eventually dropped the game totally and only took it back up 10 yrs later when I took a notion to play the big boy game. Got a 'business card' from a guy who drank in the pub I worked in so I called and arrange to see some clubs. I was nervous walking into the inner city flats that ended up being the address, climbed 5 flights of stairs with nothing but a terse and grunting phone call to reassure me I wasn't gonna be jumped, and found the apartment. Think graffitied walls and an ominous blinking bulb as the tone of the setting. The door opened to reveal an apartment full of golf clubs. There was literally walking space for one person to get to the couch on the other side of the room and sit in front of the TV 2 feet away from it, everything else was golf clubs. He sold me a full set of irons, a bag, a putter, and a driver for 150 quid and I was happy out. Then he pointed at some other clubs in the place, including "the clubs Harrington plays with but they're a grand", and then tired of me and told me to f**k off in the nicest way possible.

Played a few rounds with that regular in the pub who played three times a week. He never hit anything bigger than 7 iron, played off 28 because that was the maximum, and when he took the club in his hand he looked like he was being crush by a giant invisible hand. To this day I have no idea how he enjoyed himself and how, playing 3 times a week, he wasn't any better but he was in his element paying 10 quid to hack around the R&R (rough and ready) outside maynooth. I didn't pick up those clubs for another few years until I joined a facebook group where everyone dressed like they had sponsorship deals and played like they had recent back surgery. At 21 handicap I was second best player. You think Boards rounds are long!! In saying that, they started the addiction and now I'll always play the game, except for the 2 weeks a year where I'm just gonna give up this stupid sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Walking the course with my Dad and his friends in the early 70’s, he cut down an adult 9 iron and putter for me and would let me hit some shots on each hole as long as I didn’t hold them up too much. I remember the club house bar being jam packed on a Sunday morning, something you would never see now. They all wore those plaid trousers that Nickalaus used to wear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

As with most players here, my main memory is pitch & putt with my Dad as a kid. I took up "proper" golf in secondary school with a few of the lads, we were all rubbish but we enjoyed it. Played in college and got more serious about it in my first job - there was an excellent society in the place. I'm still using the clubs I bought during this job (20ish years ago) so it's probably time to replace them.

When the kids arrived, golf took a back seat, and has done for most of the last 10 years. I realised last summer that I needed the sporting outlet, as well as the exercise and the company. Injury hit in March and I'm only back now, but looking to make a go of it now.

The circle completes, and I've started taking my son to the driving range (he's just turned 8). My daughter (9) is also mad to come along at some point too. Myself & David were at a driving range a while ago, and he was thrashing away with his own 7-iron, and not doing brilliantly. He was a bit down about it, and complained to me as we were leaving. An old gent in the next bay leaned over the barrier and told him "You're struggling now, but one day you'll be a superstar!" David walked out feeling about 10 feet tall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Earliest memory would be "helping" my father and other members do maintenance work on the course - digging drains, planting trees, chopping down trees etc. I remember the sights, sounds and even the smell of wood and newly dug soil. It is one of my first memories, not just first golf memory. This was in the early 80s when I was aged 3 or 4. All those men are now dead.

Another one from about the same time was finding balls and putting them in a big Powers Whiskey box in our garage. Also eating bars of Dairy Milk in the clubhouse. Smell of piss from the trough in the clubhouse toilets and loads of cigarette butts thrown in it.

I remember boxes of new golf balls which had individually wrapped balls. That was still a thing in the late 70s/early 80s but I think by the mid 80s golf balls were no longer wrapped.

My father had two small Jack Nicklaus instruction books and was constantly reading them, I don't know how he didn't know them off by heart. I still have those books.

The 1984 Open Championship, on TV Seve and Watson, The Road Hole.

About a year later was when I think I got my first set of junior clubs. Ram brand woods and irons. Broke the heads off most of them. Next was a set of cut down Wilson BIlly Casper blades which did me until the ripe old age of 12.

From 1987 on I would have watched pretty much every Open Championship and well remember most of them.

This may sound bizarre (well maybe not to golf fanatics) but I seem to use Open Championships to someway mark the passing of time and wonder how many more I'll get to watch, am very into memorable moments, from Van de Velde to Palmer, Nicklaus and Watson crossing the Swilcan Bridge for the last time. There is some nostalgic magic associated with golf they I can't describe well. It is probably related to the sport having a great history and because pros have very long careers compared to other sportsmen.

Post edited by BrianD3 on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Thanks all..felt I had hit a dud here as a slow burn , but these are class, and actually helping me in a massive way to remember things, I didn't know were in there .

RAM

Commando

Pitch and putt

Cut down clubs

Mysterious golf books

And the secrets of father and son relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭passatman86

Probably not the right kind of answer but my first "golf" memory is when I was in my grandparents house and my grandad put a plastic cup flat on the floor lying sideways. He gave me a golf ball and club and showed me how to put it. Remember it clear as if it was yesterday - must be nearly 35 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

One of the earliest golfing. photos of me is at my Nana's lady captains day, on the first tee box in my buggy at six months old.

She was a massive part of my golfing early days, as a keen interclub player, I was brought everywhere with her from 7/8 up to walk the course. I was always allowed to bring the cut down wooden headed 6 wood she got for me, and a Spalding wedge that had been cut down for me as well. So many other lovely memories with her, out to deer park for par 3, holidays at our mobile wexford where we always played the local par 3 as a family in two or three groups and spent hours upon hours of every bank holiday weekend chipping to a flag that we cut into the "green" we mowed at the bottom of our field.

Still get out semi-regularly to play with her, even though at 87 she is only hitting it 100m at most, it's lovely to have time with her. Played a round a few weeks ago with her, my dad, myself and my kid. 4 generations all hooked on golf!

Lots of memories with my dad too, he took me with him and his mates to sillogue for a round when I was 6/7 and told I wouldn't be sent back to the car if I kept up and didn't slow them down. I wasn't allowed bring my 6 wood. On the walk down first fairway after teeing off, my dad had lit a cigarette. As he got to his ball to assess the next move, he threw the smoke down on the ground while he hit. Me, being very helpful, assumed he was finished and stamped on it to put it out, dragging my foot back to make sure :D his reaction used words I wouldn't use to my own 9 year old now :D

It's coming full circle as my son is now a member and playing 3-4 times a week between lessons and rounds with me, he's been firmly bitten by the bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yes we all did that...go into a room and judge if good for putting...and if you believe this ..Chipping too..

I use to chip from my house to a hole in the back garden..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I covered my early childhood in the first post but from age 12 was when I started to play a lot. Got a full set of Wilson irons but they turned out to be women's clubs - oh the shame.

At some point between about age 13 and 16 it became clear that there was a gulf opening up between my play and that of some other lads my age who were superb players, already single figures HCPs and some of the longest hitters in the club. Once they discovered drink and girls though, that was the end of their golf. I kept plodding along - was also one of the longest hitters but it was army golf and I never quite got to single figures. Still I did well enough and was "in demand" for mixed foursomes games with flirty married women...hmmm.

My father was well into single figure sin his prime, he was apparently a bit straighter than me but not much and played an early version of bomb and gouge.

As a stroppy teenager, I had numerous rows with my father about the golf swing. The Jack Nicklaus instruction books would be rolled out to put me in my place which just annoyed me more.

Still played links courses with him all over Ireland during summer holidays from school. Played a lot with other ould lads in their 60s at home. All dead now.

In terms of watching golf on TV I remember all the Opens and increasingly got into The Masters from 91 on, I particularly remember 91, 95, 96 and for obvious reasons 97. I was in my digs for college on the Sunday and was banished to the spare TV room to watch history being made while the family watched soap operas or some such banal nonsense.😁

89, 91 and 93 Ryder Cups too. The last ones live on terrestrial TV. Christy O'Connor Jnr 2 iron, Langer's putt, the War by the Shore and in 93, controversy about the US team picking "old" Ray Floyd and Lanny Wadkins who played great IIRC.

Post edited by BrianD3 on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

lots of early memories before i turned 10 so couldn't really tell you which came first

Carolls Irish Open in Royal Dublin and Portmarnock with Seve and Langer winning and me hunting for autographs

caddying, mainly for the da. £5 and a kit-kat & glass of mi-wadi or whatever was the equivalent back in the 80's... had to sit on the step outside to drink it though, kids were not welcome in clubhouse

learning very strict etiquette

staying up late and watching the US Masters... and then finding a green jacket in my dads wardrobe 🤣 woosnam/lyle and faldo be the earliest memories

old clubs of my dad and grandad, wooden shafts on some of them. cut down ones, the 9 iron was my favourite even if the grip was gone off it leaving nothing but yellow paper behind it

dad teaching me to keep my head down by physically holding it in place as i swung

john jacobs driving range

johnny foxes & other local pitch and putt

tyres in the garden for pitching practice

a home made golf curse around the estate with lads standing on corners watching for cars

one i do have a very specific recollection of watching on tele (in a friends house) but i was probably a teenager was Christy junior winning the British Masters and I was peeved that it wasn't classified as a Major as the US Masters was. Christy was my favourite, met him a few times and he was just a very very nice man

my very first comp when i joined the club as a 12 year old junior, playing with James keogh and on the second hole (not there anymore) i was in the greenside bunker. I never played a bunker shot in my life. i nail it to about 3 foot and james jaw dropping asking where i learned how to do that.... watching tele was my answer but of course i had caddyed a lot and picked things up

I also remember the very first professional skins game played in Ireland. It was held in Greystones and I'm pretty sure the players were Darcy, o'Connor, Smyth and the local pro Kevin Daly. Highlights were shown on tele later in the week and I have the VHS buried in the attic somewhere. @Kevinmarkham might have details on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

The mention of etiquette - a huge portion of our early golfing education was this. And by this I mean whatever you do don't hold anyone up. It was absolutely drilled into us. It was mentioned at the weekly lessons, every competition, every away day - pretty much any time playing with an adult. I got a rude awakening when I got my senior handicap and played in my first Sunday comp. Our junior comps started at 7, last tee time 8 and on a bad day the last group was in at 11:30. The adult comps were normal Sunday comp speed - a lot slower than the junior one!

Calling adults through was another painful one. It wasn't an instruction to call them through when they caught up with you - if you saw them behind you were to wait on the next tee box and let them play through. Again, fairly painful because if they were catching up with you it was because there was a group ahead of you slowing you down. So you were doubly held up. Some lads were decent and would say to keep going, but most would play through. And before timesheets for casual play, queuing on the first tee was tough going. You could be 40 minutes waiting to get out. I can't believe anyone didn't want a timesheet system for casual play.

The other parts of the etiquette - repair your divots, plug marks didn't get much attention because most of us didn't make them to begin with, keep trolleys off tee boxes, etc were also mentioned, but if there was one thing they wanted us to know, it was don't hold anyone up. I'm probably a bit paranoid now on the course about my group holding people up. Whereas if I'm behind someone I don't care unless they're taking the mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

It was a Mark i GTI, probably a 1978 model... had the tuna tin retracting roof. We got pulled over by the police who asked if they could drive it... It was missing the front bumper and number plates at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Need I say more!

The thing in my hand is white insulation pipe with a slice of skirting board - my first 'putter', made by my grandfather. The fashion sense is all mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

Ahead of your time Kevin. Puma pay designers good money to make Rickie Fowler look like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Advertisement