Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Giles was the only OTB podcast I was subscribed to, but (as is/was the case with the GoLoud app) it wasn't exactly relaible in my regular podcast app. Sometimes there, sometimes...nope.

Slight question outside the announcement this week, does anyone else find the OTB content they are always, always plugging just hard to find/glitchy/inconsistantly available?

Never mind that the GoLoud app's latest update seems to want me to type my email address and password every single time I open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Tommy Rooney is very good too in fairness to him, I listened to them a good bit as I'm working from home but any consideration of paying €10 a month was gone with the 14 hour notice, for lads who i presumed were savvy in terms of what flies and what doesn't it was extremely naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am all very amused my this whole thing to be honest. Maybe there is a market for it I don't know?

I went off OTB years ago plenty of much better content elsewhere for free or better options for better value IMO.

If you look at it objectively the OTB background is not journalistic first and foremost, they are mostly English Degree graduates, (one legal background as far as I know) who fell into sport.

How many of the presenters on the show do people honestly think they deliver quality?

How many people think this is worth paying for?

How many are likeable characters that people enjoy listening to and would pay for the privilege?

I will watch with interest from afar to see if this works and maybe it is just me. But I think there could be a hasty changing of strategy, if this tanks.

However, perhaps I am the one completely out of touch?

Maybe there are 20 somethings who do not know any different who would pay this subscription? I assume they only need a certain percentage to return a profit?

Also, in order to get more subs I assume they will have to be more sensationalist 'hard hitting' to get clicks and so on? More 'Bantz' aimed at college students?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I find it all very bizarre, price point wrong, lack of notice big mistake, there USP was basically the convenience of it and they've flushed that down the toilet, maybe business wise it will work out for them but expecting people to fork out €100 a year for content alot of which is available for free on the radio seems very ambitious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Was going to turn it on this evening on the phone to listen in and after a minute I just turned it off.my heart wasn’t in it to listen to their inane crap banter especially from banner boy McCarthy.it’s amazing how one decision to change the way u listen to a show can alter ur feelings towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Seems very rushed alright, I wonder who or what was the driver behind it?

They surveyed 1000 people according to Gilroy in the clip above and that gave them confidence and 'Green Light' to go ahead with it? I wonder what their profit subscription level target is?

But Jayus they would want to do one of three things seriously up their game overall. Bring in a raft of fresh blood having profile and expertise in all areas. Or become a niche station focusing on a few sports that draw in the subs? It would mean few minority sports, less women's sports focus and so on. That just would not be profitable.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

According to the article 10% is industry standard but golf weekly got 25% when it went behind the paywall, Gilroy said if they get anywhere between these 2 it will be worthwhile.

Post edited by Billy Ocean on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Otb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Here’s another reason not to touch this sub, Clíona Foley, that horrendous cackling laugh at her own gags, her relentless interruptions and when she’s not at that she’s on some mundane monologue about some **** nobody cares about. She also seems to be on the paper review every second week. I stopped listening because of her. A geebag if ever there was one, painful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Funny, I was thinking that since I don't listen to OTB that much these days, maybe I'm out of touch. So I thought I'd have a listen to the football show this evening, given the week that's in it.

Two prerecorded interviews (one with Rene Meulensteen mostly about Man Utd circa the year 2000), followed by two bits of Nathan listing off what on OTB over the next few days. That was it.

It's just not very strong at all.

Also, I've no idea what percentage of OTB listeners listen to radio show vs podcasts vs Youtube (last time I watched on Youtube there were at most a couple of hundred people watching), but surely the strongest material is used on the actual radio show?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

Golf Weekly got 25%? That's insane especially with No Laying Up out there for free. Granted, I eventually signed up for it when travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I only ever listened to the play back pod of OTB AM in work late mornings for background noise and skipped through all the faff to get to football.

Never listened to a pod of the evening OTB show.

Never missed Golf Weekly after it went behind paywall. Again it was only ever background noise to me.

I'll miss the pod of The Sunday Paper review though. That was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I presume golf is niche, so golf weekly might just be a few hundred people. But I think football is the audience you need to target/ be great at to attract a big audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭noc1980

I've never met a poor golf fan. 25% isn't surprising. I wouldn't be expecting the same conversion rate from fans of other sports.

You must not know many golf fans then. I've played 18 holes with some very rich people and some not so rich people. It has quite a broad population of players.

Most people can afford the 9.99 if they want. The difference is, most dont think it's worth it. I can see them getting 25%. Golf Weekly is very niche and very small so a different use case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I enjoy their rugby content and occasionally GAA and soccer and I would be willing to pay something but the pricing is outrageous for my usage which is like 2 or 3 shows/podcasts in a week.

To go from free to charging something in line with a disney+ subscription price is a bit of a nuclear move that'll lose most of the audience they worked so hard to build over the years.

It feels like they don't understand their audience at all if they think anyone is listening to 60 podcasts on about 12 different sports each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Full article - https://archive.li/DTwW7

Gilroy as grating as ever, an undue optimism and poor analysis not seen since the OTB 2019 Abu Dhabi golf tour failed to get off the ground.

Most might able to afford 9.99 but the problem is it could be on top of already paying out subs for Now TV, Spotify, Netflix etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Otb were pro Pauw. They literally swatted the report and allegations to one side and we of the collective opinion the the American women werw too sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Having listened to it on and off over many years, OTB doesn't appear to be in a particularly strong position at the moment to make this fairly bold move.

They could really do with streamlining their presenters a bit, and putting the strongest people front and centre. The morning show isn't nearly as good since Eoin Sheahan left. And now they're trying to make up for it by involving the producer in proceedings, who's bloody awful. Hannon seems like an alright lad, but he's a sports news reader, not a presenter. They should have replaced Sheahan with one of the older heads. When Hannon and Boohig were presenting together recently, Daniel Harris looked preplexed by the stupid questions they were coming out with.

Agree with whoever made the observation about this being a win for Second Captains subscription numbers. Generally the free Monday pod is enough for me. I don't think I could tolerate any more Murph than one pod a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Ahwell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

You're miles off the mark. Joe Molloy put out a state of the nation video slamming the FAI over the Pauw allegations which were brought up by The Athletic again just before the world cup.

Now maybe when the original report was released they swatted it aside. But certainly when the Athletic piece came out, Joe was climbing aboard the OTB high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭FazyLucker

Did I hear Ger Gilroy say they surveyed Golf Weekly subscribers for their thoughts? I mean, if you do a survey regarding a subscription model to people who are already subscribing it has all the hallmarks of an echo chamber and a survey with confirmation bias at its heart.

My decision not to pay has already been confirmed - was out for a run this morning and planned my usual playlist in advance. Already found a whole host of other podcasts I was interested in to fill the void. Some sporting but some not. Maybe its not going to be the loss I thought it was! And if I can't, maybe I just need to be alone with my own thoughts a bit more often!

I'll still listen live anyway when it suits. Its not as if their content can't be replicated - far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yawn, here we go again.

Anyone interrupts the bitchfest and it's 'Why do you feel the blah blah blah'?

Why don't you ever ask why does everyone feel the need to find a negative angle on what is clearly a very successful operation?

All you guys who ask me this time and again come across as such snowflakes when you react to your posts being challenged by someone who is actually referring to what was factual on the show. If you feel I'm defending them unnecessarily, challenge me in referring to show content, not my audacity for having an opinion that is different to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I was surveyed a few months ago and I am not a golf subscriber. I remember saying I wouldnt pay for anything maybe bar 1 or 2 specials or something like that but I knew when the survey came out that this was coming.

As most said I listen coming home from football training in the car and sometimes I would go back next day to hear the end of the conversation.

I mainly only liked football and Sunday review and enjoyed Pat Nevin a lot as I think he has a great insight to football.

But he is on numerous podcasts that I can get for free that may have 1/2 adverts that I dont mind.

I assume you're both effectively talking about two different periods. Gusser09 is referring to when the report itself came out. OTB and nearly all Irish media outlets brushed it aside very quickly. Brock Turnpike is referring to the Athletic article which came out just before the WC which was Joe's slamming of the FAI.

Both of you are correct. The report was swept under the carpet initially (something I disagreed with) and then challenged recently. It will be interesting to see how it is handled moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

What else is Pat Nevin on ? I do enjoy his report on the football weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

What are the listenership numbers for OTB over the years anyone know? Has it increased/decreased? This thread is near dead, the older one from a years back was very active. Wondering if there is any correlation.

Advertisement