Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

well here’s a guaranteed tenner a month for the lads safe to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

That's fair enough. Yeah I think with Pauw no longer being the flavour of the month things could turn sour here really quickly. It was clearly obvious that the lads from OTB had no experience with working with female athletes or part of the management for female teams. They were trying to align the way Pauw ad allegedly treated these players with how their male counterparts would be treated with dieting and body size etc. Though it was fair game as a lot of these girls were pros or college players. The thing they don't realise and a lot others don't realise male and female players are totally different both physiologically and mentally. You have to take a different approach with them. That's just the way it is.

I know they have to be careful not to upset anyone or be cancelled but you simply have to be extremely sensitive and careful when it comes to dealing with young ladies and girls. A lot more so than dealing with lads.

I'd have had a lot more time for them if they had of just come out and said that.

You see your last line. You have just admitted you are wrong. OTB rubbished the report and wouldn't have a bad word said about Pauw. That's what happened. What happened in the Athletic is irrelevant to how OTB went about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Ten? That fanboi probably has 20 subs to them for €200 a month😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

From the SBP piece

"According to the latest JNLR figures, which solely cover radio listenership, Off the Ball’s weeknight show had 48,000 listeners and 283,000 on weekends."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Fecking hell the football pods are all subscriber only apart from the women’s football ones which are all free 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

And there you are listening to the free Arsecast with Ken Early😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Are you ok mentally? Do you understand my post? I would wager not. I clearly said there were two distinct events which OTB commented on. The initial report, and then the Athletic article months later which brought up the same allegations. So while they may have initially dismissed the report about Pauw, once the Athletic article appeared they changed their time and Molloy have his state of the nation on Pauw and the FAI. So for you to continue to push the "they swept it aside" angle is disingenuous at best.

Moderator: Brock Turnpike was warned for this.

Post edited by hullaballoo on

Yawn all you want. You literally use every post in here to defend everything OTB does. No criticism is allowed of OTB going by your posts.

I have no problem with people providing feedback positive or negative. I'm not here for any perceived "bitchfest". My post wasn't challenged either. It was someone else who criticised them to which you responded. And I asked a perfectly reasonable question as to why you're always defending any criticism of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭FazyLucker

Ciaran76 thanks for the clarification, sorry I must have mis-heard him then.

I'm surprised they didn't publicise the survey a lot more if they wanted to really gauge sentiment towards the change. 1k is a small sample size for the number of subscribers on YouTube for example.

I just hope the Crappy Quiz is put behind the paywall as well so I never have to hear it again - if ever there is a god awful segment on the radio it is that! Do they still have that annoying foghorn buzz when somebody gets a question wrong? Awful, awful radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Crappy quiz is probably my fav segment to be honest ,plus Wednesday night rugby once its not Fiona Hayes doing it, wow she is painful.

Different strokes different folks I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yes, the stupid headwrecking buzz is still there.

I won't bother reading all of that. You are the same on the football forum. Bullying and aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Not to get Saipan about it but weren’t the second captains lad pretty much sacked on the spot after trying to put it up to fathead [REDACTED] O’Brein? Thought they gave him some kind of ultimatum about broadcasting times and/or money and the he/station told them to piss off as opposed to abandoning ship? I remember for months after the discussion was all about them potentially going to RTE.

Yeah, IIRC it was they wanted a drive time slot and gave an ultimatum, to which Denis O'Brien and Co said grand pack your bags so - and they duly did. I suppose "left" would have been better wording than "abandoned the ship".

I remember liking Eoin McDevitt presenting style similar to how I like Joe Molloy but thinking the rest were fairly meh and could be replaced. I can't stand Murph but I get why football fans like Ken Early. They never looked back to be fair, but I wonder are OTB too late to a saturated market and thinking that because they have 60 podcasts a week people will pay €10 a month for 40-50 podcasts that they are not interested in.

I'm not big in to football and looked at the feed today and reckon all but 1% of football podcast listeners don't care about Matt Jarvis thought's on Wolves upcoming season - and if they do, they'd probably get more in depth insight on a Wolves podcast. I just don't see it taking off, no matter what Ger "Its only a tenner a month" thinks.

If I am proven wrong, good for them and kudos to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,953 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The difference between second captains and OTB now though is that the second captains offering is a very clear thing. 5 people, 3 presenters. Coherent schedule, multi sports. And it's the 5 of them as a team, so you know there should be consistency going forward.

OTB is a rake of presenters of varying quality. A ridiculous amount of podcasts, split into specific sports. But it's an offering which has employees who will obviously change over time. Who is the overall editor of their output?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭fire_man

Any free sport podcast you would recommend in Rugby, gaa and football?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Yes this is the exact reason why 10 euro a month is too much for OTB. Ger Gilroy thinks quantity of podcasts justified it, when it's quality that counts.

Second Captains have Mcdevitt as main presenter and interviewer apart from when he's on holidays. Quality is consistently high, depending on the guests too. This is 5e a month.

OTB have Joe Molloy who's no Mcdevitt but he's very good. My opinion is if he did say more podcasts and interviews, 5e a month would be just about worth it. But probably not if you're already subscribed to second captains which is a cut above.

But 10e a month to then listen to a range of average broadcasters? And I include Gilroy in that, his interviews are basically a chance for him to broadcast his answers to his own questions. They're off their heads thinking they've got good value for people paying 10e a month. It's barely worth 2e a month.

No, it's not bullying and/or aggressive. In the same way you do on the football forum, you are coming in posting poorly researched/deliberately misleading comments, and I am pulling you up on it. As usual you move the goal posts because you can't back up what you're saying.

• Advertisement

What do you mean? Is there something mentally wrong with you? I posted that OTB swatted aside the report on Pauw. Which they did when it first came out. That is a correct and accurate statement. Regardless of what Joe done in the Athletic AFTER that my assertion that they disregarded it and thought that the allegations deserved no thought whatsoever is true.

The Athletic deal with it many months after OTB rubbished the report and allegations.

Is any of the above not true?

Well for starters Joe didn't do anything in the Athletic...

Your assertion is based on an out-of-date stance they had on the issue.

Post edited by Brock Turnpike on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

He is on random BBC football related podcasts I listen to. I dont think hes on anything like he was on OTB with a slot talking about football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

i don’t know if there’s a model for this exactly, but going straight for a tenner a month seems ambitious. If there was say an introductory rate of €1 per month you’d have a better chance in the long term surely.

€10 a month, when there is already loads of good free content on individual sports, seems very expensive.

I do wish them well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

A lower price certainly would have worked in their favour but €1 a month would be too low. I know from my own experience, I’ve gotten something on a cheap subscription and because it’s so cheap, you forget about it for the month and cancel after a month or two. If they charge more, you’re more inclined to try and get your moneys worth.

€5 a month would have been the right figure to me

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

That is the conventional practice for subscription models to start cheaply or not restrict everything at once. Dip the toes in the water and see how the audience reacts before progressing to the eventual target offering. Keep the audience attached for as long as you can.

OTB seemingly thought it a good idea to ignore all that and go completely nuclear going from totally free to everything paywalled with a days notice. Ambitious is certainly one way to describe it!

If the numbers aren't what they expected it's also going to be very difficult for them to row back from this model. They've damaged trust with their audience and many will now unsubscribe from their social media platforms which now only provide brief promos and adverts for a paid so won't even have OTB on their radar should there be a change of tactic at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

she isnt the most eloquent to be fair but she knows her stuff

Advertisement