Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ok, a quick update on this, I woke this morning to an email with my final bill from EI saying my accounts was closed on the 8th Aug 2023. So I contacted Flogas again to try and see what rates I had been put on, I think I spoke to about 4 different people before I was finally given the rates that have been applied to me, I still haven’t had any email correspondence or confirmation as of yet, but as of this morning the rates they say I have been given are (all including VAT)

Day Rate 33.73

Peak Rate 38.15

Night Rate 23.1

I forgot to ask about the standing charge. I notice that these rates are marginally higher than the original BWG ones, but I’m just grateful to have gotten these ones, as the best 24hr rate EI we’re offering me was 40c a unit.

Now I’ve just to wait for email confirmation which they say I should have on Monday or Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

Took the chance and it appeared to pay off. Those rates look pretty good compared to the market. Cheaper then the current FloGas smart rates by about 4.5c.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yeah, EI had sneakily put me on that 24hr plan smart plan like so many others and my meter was changed to a MCC12, so my options were limited

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

These smart plans need to be called out for what they are.... pure gouging of the unwitting consumer. Dirty tricks to get you to switch on to them etc..

• Advertisement

The market is so small there is no point in being competitive in it. Also, one company (albeit the biggest) appear to have a misleading prompt which puts you on a smart plan. I've not heard of any other company doing this. Frankly, I don't think they care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Surely less effort to switch to desktop mode and look for the post than coming on here complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Stories like yours (read this several times in the past year or two) is why I'll be waiting for the ESB to come to the door with a court order before letting them change the meter. I don't like being a nuisance, but the smart plans right now are a load of b*llocks and I'm not willing to risk being "accidentally" put on one by a supplier when I switch every summer.

I'm going with either the Flogas 29.99c offer or the Waterpower variable rate when my contract is up in 3 weeks, neither of which would be an option if I had a smart meter that some supplier "accidentally" activated on me. I'd be stuck on those silly rates you mentioned above where you can't turn a dishwasher or dryer on at specific times of the evening without being punished. F*ck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

100% this. That being said, this practice and its consequences should be brought to the attention of the wider public. Somebody could call Joe or Charlie Weston, and name and shame EI for the sneaky switch, and all suppliers for gouging on smart rates.

That 29.9c community plan is a offer that no other company will match as it’s supposed to be exclusive for a select group, when you compare all the other rates on offer both smart and non smart plans across all suppliers, they differences aren’t as drastic except for those two peak hour rates.

Smart plans can actually be good value for some people. If I do indeed end up with the rates above, then I’ll be happy. It would then mean all three rate groups are cheaper than the 24hr rate which I was on with EI, inevitably I should save money as my night time usage which would include 3 people taking electric showers each morning before 8am will now be at a much lower rate.

A quick google for non smart 24hr plans shows how high these rates are also

Bord Gais 43.37

SSE 41.01

EI 40.89

Energia 43.60

• Advertisement

Two different things here, though.

As a nation, we simply can't decide to all use our kettles at the same time, or the grid collapses. A way to incentivise people to avoid peak times is a good thing. If you can't be bothered delaying your dishwasher, you're still free to ignore the price, that's fine as long as a number of people do choose to delay theirs. It's not about punishing you or putting this in place for no reason, it's good grid management.

But this incentive should be fair, that is a smart EAB shouldn't be higher than a non-smart EAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The point I was making was that if I had been accidentally put on a smart plan by a supplier I wouldn't be eligible for the 29.99c offer. I realise it's by far the best rate around (Current Waterpower variable rate aside) and abnormally low compared to other suppliers right now, but that is besides the point. By still having a MCC01 meter I can take advantage of it.

If EI hadn't put you on a smart plan you'd have signed up for it as well I'd say? Unless a person has an electric car I don't see the benefit of going with a Day/Night/Peak rate over the flat 29.99c 24hr rate currently available.

Day/Night/Peak isn't very different from Day/Night. Nightsaver has appealed to about 10% of households before EVs existed. And I reckon it would benefit to more than these 10%, but people haven't really looked at it. I've no EV, but with an immersion and storage heaters (no gas in the house), Nightsaver is clearly beneficial. I wouldn't mind a peak rate added to that, if it was fair, as in day and night rates would be slightly lower as a consequence.

Post edited by tx_tx on

I had long said that I would let them install the meter but I would not activate it until it makes sense. I got the letter through the door the other day saying they are upgrading meters in my area in the next 3 months. I do not know what I will do.

On one hand, I don't want to be accidentally put on a smart tariff or have the meter activated. I don't think this is likely. Further, there is a lot of chatter online of peoples bills increasing. This is likely due to the old meter not being calibrated and reading lower then it should. I have no desire to have a calibrated meter, if my meter is broken (in my favour), I am happy to leave it that way.

On the flip side, I do think down the line the CRU/Government will make the decision that the 24 hour tariff must be equal to the peak tariff on a smart plan. Hence, forcing people to make the switch. This may happen in 12 months or 12 years. I want to have the smart meter in place to activate it when it makes sense as opposed to scrambling to have it installed.

All very tin foil hatty of me I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭4dxc

The thing I don`t understand is, that once you have a smart meter, why can they not put you on any tariff?

They get 30min intervals of data so why can one not get the same price as a standard meter? All data is available, so is it a rip-off for customers?

I`d even understand if the standing charges would be higher because of a smart meter but for the tariff there is no real reason I can see.

You're right and the CRU was saying the same thing to suppliers : there is nothing stopping them from making a smart plan where the Day, Night and Peak rates are all the same. They can design a 24Hrs plan for those with an activated smart meter.

As said earlier, we can think that the main reason why smart plans are more expensive, and also that in general the good deals are only for non-smart meters, is that at the moment activated smart meters are less than 5% of households. Small market segment, not a priority, little competition. That should change once the numbers grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Thanks. I went with the Community/Bwg smart link, posted here last week, on Monday, waiting to hear from them. Got an email from EI today saying sorry you're off and to contact them. They wouldn't budge from their high unit prices last week so don't think I'll waste time ringing them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

I wouldnt understand the standing charges being higher with a Smart Meter at all, they have less work to do once it is sending its 30 minute interval information so doesnt need to be read, although maybe they will have to be updated more frequently than previous electro-mechanical versions??

I dont think there is a sufficient reason why the Standing charge is different between any domestic house, because if the cost was spread across all domestic meter installations nationally it would even out to not much more than the avg SC cost. How can one supplier charge significantly less for a SC and another charge significantly more for it at the same location depending on who you go with, or why was I told it would be an increase of 25 cent per day to activate the SM that is at my house now? when nothing changes? Doesn't make sense other than to extract money from the customer. One person I got on the phone from my supplier did say, it was because they are losing money (not making enough) because some people are saving money by using the rates to their advantage.

While I get why rural/urban SC may be claimed to be different, as the length of lines and density of installations possibly makes rural installations require more work, but the as mentioned above, the difference between suppliers SC throws that idea out the window.

I can only come to the conclusion that there is a different mentality of the suppliers here, as I see online one supplier in the UK (possibly more than one doing it) are giving away free units at some times and even paying customers to consume power at others, so it must be detrimental to their grid to have power available and not used but where reducing the power available isnt possible or would cost them even more money to shut down and restart.

How SM were rolled out here and how tariffs for them are here makes no sense to me, they should be incentivising people to use them like the UK. I get it's a different market, but the reasons that make SMs useful to the grid there have to be the same here, if done right people would be clamouring to get them. Maybe there is some technical reason to not be able to revert back from a SM tariff, but I doubt it (open to correction) but I just get the sense they want their cake and eat it too, which is to get people on them for the Grids sake, but not for any customer benefit, or as little as possible.

I would imagine smart meters are an added cost to a supplier. They now process and store much more data on their customers (I know the ESB technically does some of it) while before it was just a few readings a year and a relatively easy estimation in between.

I agree with the rest of your post. The standing charge should be set by the CRU. Personally, there should be no different between Urban and Rural, they extra cost of Rural should be spread out across everyone and people down the country shouldn't pay extra. I live in Dublin, so it suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

There is an increased charge for smart meters of €5.50 a year whether you accept them or not. Rest assured any additional cost to suppliers will be passed onto the customer with a margin. Just like the publican does anytime the brewery increases prices.

https://selectra.ie/energy/guides/meters/smart-meters-ireland#what-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-a-smart-meter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Rang them - no dice. Infact as soon as I said I was leaving the guy interrupted me and asked "going to Flogas?", I said yes and he basically said there was no point wasting my time chatting further as it was by far the best deal out there & they couldn't compete. Said Electric Ireland will have better prices than the current offering in time but no idea what they'll be, if they'll compete with Flogas price or when they will be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

"wouldn't mind a peak rate added to that, if it's fair, as in day and night rates would be slightly lower as a consequence."

That's the rub and where the scam is at the moment. Even the excellent BWG smart Day time rate is 10% more than the 24hr rate. Then the Peak is 27% more!

F*ck that. If there was 1 hour before the Peak of 33% discount that could be used to get the oven or hob up to temperature that might work. People still need to eat food and not everyone will use a slow cooker on night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Romero

I've a month to go (Sept 13th) on my dual fuel plan with BordGais, I don't have a smart meter, tempted to jump to Flo Gas offer, is it your standard 50 euros cancellation for gas and electricity? Can you just fill out the flogas form and they do the rest or do you need to inform Bord Gais first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

You don't need to inform your current provider, but if say that if you switched now, you'll be collared for the €50 x2 breakage charge.

Bord Gais are quite bad at applying the exit fee. I got charged €50 for gas but they didn't apply it for Electricity. Others I know (and some on this thread) were not charged the exit fee for either. I'd recommend switching, its unlikely you will be charged and if you are, so be it. You'll make the money back relatively quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭pjq

I got our 1st Flogas BWG Electric Only bill today , consumption 10-31 July, rate 27.51c and standing charge were correct. We are heavy summer users and have more than recovered the €50 due to Energia. BTW Energia did nor bill us for the €50- exit fee on our hopefully last bill on 18 July. Again thanks to all on boards for accurate info and patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

I had a look at an old spreadsheet that had the BWG rates from March in it. The figures I had were 33.74/38.15/23.11, so pretty much the same as what you were given considering roundings etc.

The Urban standing charge I have in my spreadsheet from March for that plan is €302.92 (inc VAT). Which is the same cost as their 1yr Fixed 24hr meter (non-smart) Urban Standing Charge. From that i'd infer that the Rural standing charge is €380.46.

I was going to sign up as well next week when i'm out of contract, and hoping for those rates, so thanks for taking the plunge for us! Hopefully they'll confirm rates by email on Monday/Tues - i'd be great if you could post here if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭CoBo55

BG are one of the better ones in fairness, they didn't charge me the 50, I'm electric only.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

Just got off the phone to Bord Gais, i was on great dual rate last year 30% discount off standard electricity and 40% off gas. Contract up at the end of month, they offeribg me 5% discount on the electric and 12% on the Gas... Ouch. However they told me to call back in two weeks as they will most likely be better rates available so hopefully some further drops on the horizon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

That's good to hear. I am with them and contract expiring 1st sept and struggling to figure out where to go. Bonkers.ie not much help at the moment.

Advertisement